Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

overdesigned posted:

Had a sorta-BWM pop up recently. The US military is changing its pension system starting next year, and the majority of people already in are being offered the option to stay in the old system or take the new system, so there's been a lot of financials talk lately, which is good! But that's how I got this story.

Background information: the military, like all Federal government jobs, allows you to contribute to the Thrift Savings Plan, which is our 401(k). Not mandatory, not everyone does, but cool if you do.
Like a 401(k) it has a few funds to choose from; a bond index, an S&P500 index, a small cap fund, and and international fund. And a government bonds "pretty much risk free but beats inflation" fund for when you're like, fully-retired.

One of the officers had a senior staff enlisted guy who came up to him after a financial talk. He'd been contributing for like 12-14 years to this TSP and never thought any more about it. Never even logged into the TSP website to check stuff, just made sure the deductions came out of his paycheck correctly.

Guess which fund the TSP deposits your contributions to by default? If you said "the Government bond fund that has earned 2.63% annually over the past 10 years" you're right!

Poor guy. He's for sure not the only one who's made this mistake, though.

My boss did exactly the same thing. Been in the gov probably 15ish years in total, stuck his money in the G fund because "someone told him to". His eyes bugged out when I showed him the numbers on the G compared to even the F.

Don't think he intends to change it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
$1,000 for a pair of pants that keep my legs warm and covers my genitalia just like the $30 one boggles my mind.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I've got content!

So, I work in a small FedGov office. My boss and I are the only permanent staff, but we hire 2-3 seasonals every year during the summer. They're decent seasonal positions, GS-4 or 5 ($15ish/hr) with cheap govt housing available and at least 150-200 hrs of OT. So a reasonable seasonal position. The issue is we're in a remote location, and hiring tends to be difficult because no one wants to come work for a summer in the middle of nowhere. So we kind of take what we can get. Another employee in a nearby office had a niece who lived in Nebraska or somesuch who was interested in working for us. So we have her apply and she calls us and we answer all her questions, hit it off pretty well. The job itself is a pretty easy gig, so the interpersonal stuff is most important. Both my boss and I think she would be a great fit. We would still have to do the interview and everything, but we both agreed that she would be a good hire.

Posting closes, we pull the applicant list. No one is on it. Not even Nebraska lady. We call her up and ask her what happened. She hemmed and hawwed, and said she was going to, but thought about it and decided she wanted something not seasonal and for more money. Which is quite tough to come by with no qualifications or post-secondary education. But, whatever. We wish her well and that was that. Not necessarily BWM.

The BWM comes in when we chatted with the other employee a few days later. Turns out her niece was going to take our job, quit her previous ($9/hr) job to take our job (even though it didn't start until June) , and then didn't take ours. So now she has no job. And we have no seasonals. The government is now going to have to pay more so our short staff can cover the hours that we need to cover. So BWM all around.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Simple BWM: New coworkers (seasonal employees just came on) complaining about not being able to buy groceries until their first paycheck comes in. Then, not 10 minutes later, making reservations at a local dive to have dinner. I fear that all the money they make this summer will vanish into terrible food and expensive alcohol.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

curufinor posted:

hosed up attitudes towards food in silicon valley:

My first year at Stanford i watched 4 separate dudes eat their first orange

All of them upper middle class like nearly everyone else, they were just hosed up enough so that they'd never eaten an orange

So i forced them to

I was not surprised at all by soylent

I'm a bit confused by this. Do rich people not eat oranges?

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Would a weed based ETF be BWM or GWM?

e: it actually exists, wow

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Isn't that how the whole bounty hunting industry in the US works? I always thought it was the bondsman bringing back absconders so they could get their capital back.

Bounty Hunting GWM?

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Ixian posted:

Wait a seasonal employee with a guaranteed pension? This dude already won one of life's smaller lotteries.

Seasonal employment with full time benefits is not uncommon in some federal agencies. I'd imagine their state analogues might have the same setup.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
If its the case, it isnt working. China is building much more advanced weapons in 1/10th of the time on 1/3rd of the budget.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
$80 per diem is awful.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Working is BWM, indeed.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
If he really liked driving a forklift and had good money, wouldn't he buy a forklift (rough terrain) for his own personal enjoyment at home?

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Content: my boss sold his house before moving for a new job. He asked me for advice on what to do with the equity that came out when he sold, about 30k. We came up with a plan to eliminate his credit card debt and knock a big chunk out of his student loans. I was genuinely happy for him that he would be on a better financial path.

The next week he comes into work with a brand new fully loaded truck to replace his functional financed vehicle. He put the equity down, and was ecstatic that his payment only went up by 15 dollars.

:smith:

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Stop spending money on eels.

No

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Moderation and nuance isn't very entertaining.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
So I'm paying a premium to get Giardiasis?

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I wonder how much he lost on those investments. Hard to believe he lost a ton in one of the largest bull markets in history.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
If you're not actively budgeting, how exactly do you manage a bank account? Make sure there is a nonzero number of dollars on the account?

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Kind of sounds like they were talking gross profit instead of net. So taxes, transportation, and selling expenses may not have been included. Amazing how unprofitable these MLM schemes are even for the upper echelon of sellers.

sparkmaster fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 20, 2018

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Boy howdy I'm glad its tax time again. Good content, right in the vein.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
If I recall, a lot of non corporate private aircraft flying involves essentially buying time on a jet rather than purchasing the jet outright. For a fairly wealthy person, the costs are reasonable (considering what you get).

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Reddit posted:

People say don't out all your eggs in one basket but I believed in the project so much that I did. I put everything I had in crypto investment (50% of my life savings) into nano near ATH. As the price started dropping, I put in the remaining 50% of my life savings to dollar cost average because I genuinely believed that with the rebranding, binance announcement, I would see a profit but the price kept dropping.

I was an idiot to buy using bitgrail instead of kucoin and now I have officially lost everything due to the alleged hack. I wish I could have withdrawn to my wallet but withdrawals were disabled.

I was also an idiot to put in more than I could lose. Money I had saved up by working so hard. I lost $120,000.

I believe in the project and idk how I am going to live with myself watching the price of nano soar over the months without me not having anything to invest in it.

Please don't do what I did. Please be cautious with your investments, diversify, and don't invest more than you are willing to lose. I know we all think that won't happen but you can...like I did...your money, your happiness and most importantly, your mental health.

This is so depressing. I feel so defeated in life. This was money that was going to go to my further education, my wedding, honeymoon, any travel plans, my downpayment. This puts me back at least 7-8 years in my life.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/7z8pks/financially_ruined_learn_from_my_mistakes/

So I'm not quite sure what he's saying (bitcoinspeak), but he lost his entire life savings. And his big regret? He has nothing left to invest in crypto.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Blinds are extremely BWM.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I don't get it. In what world is a vacation deductible as a business expense?

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
You can even take losses, reducing the amount of tax you pay!

Being BWM is GWM.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
If you're a govt employee in the US, generally your wages are public record. I know for the feds there is an online database where you can look up people's base wages. I've also seen it for some states as well.

Knowing exactly what your co-worker, supervisor, and secretary make does add an interesting dynamic. Some people are either drastically under or overpaid.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
But just think of the overhead, with having to hire kneecappers and all.

Professionally done physical intimidation/violence can't be cheap.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Beware of consistantly neighgative returns.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Helicopters are extremely BWM.

Like a horse that flies and is loud.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
BWM from my old office.

Guy works for the feds, permanent full time, GS-7. Makes 19.82/hr, plus probably 400hrs of OT on the low end. So a reasonably comfortable wage in a no-income tax, LCOL state.

He has a truck (the horse of automobiles) he bought for about 60k a few years ago. Paid it down, then refinanced it to pull remaining equity out so his wife could buy a brand new jeep. They have a house, spend like cash is full of ebola, and are in debt up to their eyeballs. So pretty much the American Dream. Kinda BWM, but not unusually so.

Broseph is probably going to get a GS-8 detail next year, and has a clear road to a GS-9 with the same OT. So in 2 years he's on track to gross $65k/yr in an easy job that he's good at and everyone likes him in. Not bad for a 23 yr old with no college education.

The BWM part comes with what he wants to do in the future. He isn't unhappy in his present job, but he wants to go into a different branch of his profession. His vision for next year is leaving his present position and taking a GS-4 position thats, at best a 2/3rds year seasonal position. If he does this, there is no way he sniffs a GS-9 for another decade at least. He is leaving hundreds of thousands of dollars on the table to go play outside for two thirds of the year.

I understand not wanting to get bogged down and to pursue dreams. But at what point does pursuing dreams and spiting a solidly middle class existence just become BWL?

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
long term emotional attachment to others is BWM

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
This thread just seems to be lumbering along now.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
https://www.reddit.com/r/StudentLoans/comments/9tuco8/returning_to_school_questions_about_debt/

Oh boy.

quote:

I graduated from law school. Though I did really well at a high ranked school, I just despise (and frankly can't handle) the practice. It's not what I want to do. Given the amount of money in loans law school cost, fiscally it makes sense to just bite down and white knuckle it. Realistically, I'll eat a gun long before the bills are paid off (hah, only real way they'll get "discharged"...pun intended). So I have decided to return to school to focus on something that I actually want to do.

I have never defaulted on my student loans and they are all current.

I have a Stafford Unsubsidized undergraduate loan. Original principal $7,500, currently owe $12,194.76 . Funny story, my dad took this loan out to pay for part of my undergrad without my knowledge (pretty sure he lifted most of it for himself) and hid it from me as long as he could making the bare minimum payment. This is my only undergraduate loan.

$232,669.77 is my complete graduate school debt.
    FFEL Unsubsidized Stafford loan - current balance of $20,330.99 (original amount 12,500)
    Graduate PLUS Loans - current balance of $108,792.41
    In this loan is a direct grad plus - $8,139.70 (original amount 5,000)
    Direct grad plus - $36,747.48 (original amount 24,000)
    Direct grad plus - $31,802.24 (original amount 23,700)
    Direct grad plus - $32,102.98 (original amount 24,600)
    Stafford Loans - current balance of $103,546.37
    in this loan is Direct Subsidized Stafford - current balance 9,534.20 (8500 original amount)
    direct unsubsidized Stafford - current balance of $18,375.81(12,000 original)
    direct unsubsdized Stafford - current balance $29,669.78 (original 20,500)
    direct unsubsidized stafford - current balance $20,178.53 (original $15,651.00)
    direct unsudidized stafford - current balance $25,788.05 (original 20,500)

In 2020, the undergrad school I want to attend will be roughly $15,000 a year to attend for tuition and fees. It will be four years.
I then want to get a master's - Approximately $13,000 per year for 2 years.

What's tastier than a quarter million dollars of debt? More debt!

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Eh, forget that one, there will be more extreme ones as time goes by but I don't want to turn this into Star Citizen chat

here have some crypto chat

so for those out of the loop (I envy you) a "tether" is a USDT in other words, a US Dollar Tether. Not a US Dollar. A company scrip issued by a crypto exchange Bitfinex that can't be directly liquidated for fiat currency even though they are totally backed 1:1 because the End the Fed/Fractional Reserve = Bad crowd would never not do such a thing

I am so confused right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Saving up a for a bribe to make sure the guillotine is sharp, GWM?