Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
By the same token let's all agree credit card debt is permanent because at the end of the day, it's very difficult for many people to control those impulses and entire industries are set up around exploiting them. I don't even need to look at studies to see it's probably an assertion that more or less rings true, based on the figures I've seen previously.

No one is blaming fat people for being fat. If you grow up poor you'll likely stay poor, if you grow up fat you'll likely be fat. Our society in general encourages people to be fat and it's hard to break habits. Saying that people should try to make steps to improve their longterm health isn't blaming them, any more than saying people should try to take hold of spending habits is blaming them for learning poor habits from their parents and society. If they can't make the changes - and many can't - it's not an indictment of only them. But it's certainly worth a try.

Edit to remove personal anecdote because this is the BWM thread.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Jesus christ this whole thread is ableist against people who can't control their spending

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 28, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

What "advice" am I giving, incidentally? The only thing I ever tell people to do in here is not be godawful hateful sacks of poo poo. Do you think that's advice you might ever try following?

No one's said a single thing saying that fat people are bad people or that it's not incredibly difficult to make lifestyle changes. You are projecting imaginary assertions onto the people you're attacking.

All your posts add up to saying that a fat person should not try to lose excess weight that adds to health risks and costs, because you're arguing with people who have literally said NOTHING besides that.

Also you're once again the only person who is calling people stupid and launching expletives at them. How are you not the hateful one?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

If you're going to tell bullshit lies in here why not tell a fun one like how I'm a billionaire jewess who murders homeless people?

Show me where one person said fat people are bad people on the last two pages or that it's easy to lose weight.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'm not sure why exactly his divorce years ago/heroin tailspin also years ago is material to the flipper's question :confused:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

quote:

My wife and I... were only 21

Geez. Divorce is expensive kids

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

"Their best guess is we could start into a recession sometime in early 2017."

I love how noncommittal it always is, so that they can't be pinned down as being wrong with their guesses (but always can claim to be right).

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

canyoneer posted:

There's a joke about how economists successfully predicted 12 of the last 10 recessions

I have a friend who has not put any money into his IRA or 401k in like 5+ years. He told me in the summer of 2014 "yeah I"m waiting for the market to crash, it's going to soon."

He's a stock gambler, and he makes very good money so he *has* a decent bit of money (though it sounds like less than 50k that he could access for a home purchase he wants to make this year), but man, he could have so much more :psyduck:

Only sort of related:

He also "invests" in Magic cards. As in, he has $10,000+ worth of cases of the poo poo at any given time in his 300 square foot studio apartment.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I wish someone had paid me $300 million to ruin a dying company further.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Not to mention chain link fence are hideous and cheap looking. You finance a fence and it's not even a nice one wtf

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Haifisch posted:

People dumb enough that they have to buy single family housing in the middle of a big city, instead of renting or moving out to the burbs like normal people.

(Or buying a condo in a dense development, but that's pretty damned expensive too)

It is impossible to overstate the quality of life improvements from a short commute and a life that doesn't require a car to do everything.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

quote:

stuff about abortion
Please pull up, thread.

BWM: caring this much about your credit score.

quote:

Hey everyone, so I'm 18 and got my first card in december with a $750 line of credit which I maxed due to lack of steady work, needing to buy food, and quite a few other expenses which added up. I always made consistent payments but also consistently used my card, keeping me at a gross 97% utilization. Well I've picked up a handful of jobs now and have paid off $500 in two weeks last billing cycle and just paid another $80 today and will have the whole card paid off this week. It feels great. I had a 646 last month and I assumed an increase was inbound but somehow it's now a 636. Is there any reason for this? Thanks everyone

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Maybe he's Seymour Skinner.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I started typing personal anecdotes out but this is really more of talk for corporate or daily discussion or career path threads, IMO.

BWM: payroll deductions for gold and silver.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6o2cut/payroll_deductions_for_physical_amounts_of_gold/ posted:

My job recently announced an optional benefit I can enroll in that would deduct money from every check and use it to acquire gold and silver. The company we would use lets you choose how much money to deduct and whether to buy gold or silver or both. Then the company can store it for you or you can have it given to you in the form of coin or bars. The information provided basically just says it's good for diversifying your investments and that gold and silver are known for retaining their value, but I guess my question is, is this actually worth doing or should I just stick with other investments? And the company says it can liquidate your gold and silver and put cash in your account, but if I had it physically in my possession how hard is it to trade for cash? What are the pros and cons of this sort of investment?
Sorry if this is somewhere in the FAQ, I tried looking but didn't see anything.

The really bad career move is to work for Ron Swanson.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It's also pretty selfish to ask your kids to take a side in a divorce :shrug: Not being around for his cancer-having Mom was poo poo, but you shouldn't be forced to cut your dad out of your life. It's lovely he had an affair but if everyone cut out the parent who cheated, there'd be a ton of people not talking to parents.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 19, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

All in all it sounds like a family full of lovely, petty people.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Suspicious Lump posted:

What screams out at me is the OP clearly favored one parent over the other. The true neutral peacekeeper would have requested both parties not bring their new partners to their wedding or if both are ok with it, both bring their new partners to the wedding. It's pretty clear he didn't give a gently caress about his mom because she made it clear how uncomfortable she is with the situation. I love the crap he spews: "very hard for my family to deal with" this is what I would say if my father died because he's a dick.

It's his wedding, not hers. He did some other poo poo things but if he wants his stepmom at his wedding, his mom should respect that. She's clearly also part of his life. It's part of the whole divorce thing that your kids will be interacting with step parents eventually.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It greatly reduces medical bills later in life, so I'm guessing GWM in the end.

Unless it causes you to outlive your savings. In which case BWM.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I have a friend who literally has a hoard of about $20,000 in cases of Magic cards, that he plans to sell off as they reach a certain age at a profit. I have no idea how BWM this is or even if it's BWM but it feels like it should be.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Please no

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

quote:

The last straw was two years ago. She brought home someone my parents could never except. I think she did it just to piss them off, and boy howdy did she succeed! I've never in all my 21 years seen my dad that mad.

This is so vague, I want to know more. Was this a centaur, maybe?

Also

quote:

My dad is real interested in politics, and she would be little him

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

ate all the Oreos posted:

Dad is being littled over his politics and doesn't "accept" the boyfriend, the boyfriend is definitely just "a black guy"

Digging through the OP's comments, he said "they're not racist at all but they have their opinions" :downs: so I think you're right

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

That's not a bitcoin!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Fil5000 posted:

Would bankruptsy not be the best option there? Or are student loans exempted from that?

It is incredibly difficult to discharge student loans in bankruptcy in the US.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I can't name any country that has student loan debt that even remotely approaches the US's so I'm not sure I see the relevance of the question.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Yeah I don't see why estates having outstanding student debt taken from them is bad.

If your family is expecting to inherit wealth from you, the public shouldn't be financing your education IMO

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

curufinor posted:

They just don't retire because what else are you going to do with your life

Literally anything other than get up at 8 AM and dance at the whim of assholes who make 3x as much as you.

I mean retiring doesn't necessarily mean not working either, just get consulting gigs and if you want to gently caress off for Europe and be drunk for a year do it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Primetime posted:

I think in this instance these people are the assholes making 3x everyone else's income. Not the other way around

I'm talking about in general why someone would retire after 10-15 years. And those people are often answering to even bigger assholes who make even more money, too, unless they're literally the CEO. Mid-six-figures in NYC, she definitely wasn't a CEO, she had a boss.

edit: don't get me wrong, she's bourgeois and privileged but getting out of the race is always a good idea if you can do it and live a lifestyle you're comfortable with.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 3, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Twerk from Home posted:

Can a horse person explain to me what "teeth floating" and "coggins" are, and how often horses need them?

Since I doubt anyone who actually could answer those hasn't been shamed away from the BWM thread already:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=horse+teeth+floating

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=horse+coggins

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

SquirrelFace posted:

A big thing around here is mini horses. All the expense of a horse, none of the utility. Can't even ride them! They're really cute though...

As they'd have to be bred specifically for that (read: inbred) I'm sure they actually are even more expensive than regular horses with even more maladies.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

quote:

My sister-in-law (let's call her Q) started dating him shortly thereafter.
He is from Tunisia, claims to be 24 years old (I've met him; he's not) and the "Crossfit champion of Tunisia" as well as an agent of Interpol

This is even better if you read it as being an agent of the band, not the organization.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Either this is a troll or the guy is insanely dense.

https://www.reddit.com/user/workdiscrimination

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Tales Of Desire posted:

There is so much of this I don't understand. Why drop her from the schedule for working slightly less than she was before, especially if you really liked her? Why lie to her face about it? Why have HR ignore it? WHY you weirdos.

It's very clearly just because of discrimination, and he even says as much in his comments that he didn't want to work with a depressed person. I am leaning towards something like 80% it's a troll.

"I discriminated. I'm being accused of discrimination. Do they have a case?" is veering hard into STDH

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

BWM: Im ready to pursue my passions (whatever those may be!)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She also does unlicensed tattoos in exchange for fruit and vegetables.

:wtc: , #excessivehashtags #hashtag

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Horses killing themselves because they're stupid is funny, but horses dying of thirst because no one gave them water is pretty upsetting :smith:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Max of 5 drinks a week? Jesus loving christ, dealing with divas like them I'm gonna need one good bender a weekend for sure and I don't want them keeping track of it.

Also this is triggering me hard

quote:

tone as exercise

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Everything I know about butlers, I learned from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

quote:

With how the stock market is doing, I feel that a 401k WITHDRAWAL for my first principal home would be a better option than taking assistance from my parents. The reason I opt towards a withdrawal versus a loan is because it would be financially beneficial to just repay my parents

Wait so he doesn't want to take money from his parents, but he wants to withdraw and not borrow from his 401k to repay his parents for money he's not taking from them?

I know what's underneath this obfuscation is BWM but gently caress if I know exactly how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

No Butt Stuff posted:

I could understand if he wanted to borrow from his 401k and pay back with like 3% interest or something. I wouldn't agree, but I could understand the idea that the market may collapse and he'd be better off.

I mean, I may end up taking a small bit from my 401k to supplement my house down payment in a few years (even though it's a bad idea, it'd be less than 10% of my 401k and as I don't want to wait forever to buy and housing is expensive here, it's better than just never putting that money in a 401k to begin with) so I can understand the logic there.

But why is taking a withdrawal - which he's very clear about versus a loan - and paying back his parents his idea? I have no idea what's going on there at all.