Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

no the article is good in the sense that it specifically ilustrates how lovely and unrealistic the steps you have to take in this country to avoid working until you die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hoodwinker posted:

tag yourself: I'm both the "$500 additional to take hone mining machine" and the asterisked, "Cryptocurrency prices are wildly volatile"

I'm explaining altcoins to 8 year olds

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I say let her get eyelashes if she wants, but she clearly doesn't make enough to be shelling out for expensive rear end Eagles tix as an impromptu wedding gift after already giving cash.

Also I feel like she makes jack poo poo for a corporate account manager, she needs a better job

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

jesus, what is up with idiots with no money buying $70k Hellcats

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Weird that the IRS insists on Western Union transfers these days, anyway here's my life's savings

quote:

I have given every penny to my name, sold all my material possessions and cash advanced all my credit cards to their max in an attempt to fix my friends problem which still hasn't gone away yet.

lol

he's 28, grosses <$20k a year and somehow saved $66K only to fork it over to an obvious scam in 10 months

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 28, 2018

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

So wait. The parents pay for the wedding and then take the wedding gifts, ostensibly addressed to the couple, to recoup what they paid? Feel like I'm missing something here

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

$1320 on car payments. while you have $65k in high interest debt. that is some vintage BWM

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

zelah posted:

Are any studios looking for the next Catch Me If You Can?

...this might end up being real GWM for her after all

E: Tessa Thompson as Neff, Emma Stone gains 30 pounds to play Anna. Who says no?

I read in twitter that Neff got the movie rights

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

This is an odd one with pretty strong goon vibes: https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8n300g/mech_engineer_just_got_laid_off_from_job_57k_in/

Mech Engineer, just got laid off from job, 57K in debt, need advice.

This is a bummer. She's BWM but getting canned with no recourse is hosed up. The crypto is dumb, obviously.

I'd say cash out her crypto and pay the minimums while she gets a new job ASAP. That's gotta be priority number 1.

And maybe talk to a lawyer.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 30, 2018

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

lol

quote:

I like how you labeled the column "increase" rather than "change", pretty positive in december I see

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I mean, I get that you come out somewhat ahead, but if you’re financing $15k for three years in order to get 1.6% you’re making maybe $750 in exchange for owing money on a car. gently caress that. That’s not even $1 a day.

What's the problem with owing if you're not paying interest? Why would I want to part ways with 15k at one time if I don't have to?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not sure you guys are correctly factoring the advanced mathematical concept known as Bust Mode

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Wait how much CC debt does she have? Certainly "1000k" was a typo

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hoodwinker posted:

Tag yourself:

I'm the "God bless you all" at the end of the post.

I'm "we decided"

the fuckin arrogance of these people. man.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

It seems like there's a spectrum of MLMs that go from actual sales/product based to ones that basically purely emphasize recruiting and are barely distinguishable from old-school pyramid schemes (except the legal requirement to have a product). Neither are good but I'm much more tolerant of people hustling to sell actual wares than people trying to "help me out with a great business opportunity"

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

This speaks to me.

I'm of two minds about people who get roped into these - I don't begrudge people trying to make some extra money. Respect the hustle and all that. But leveraging your relationships with family and friends to do it suuuuuuucks.

Aside from the fact that many are (barely) glorified pyramid schemes.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

All these posts like "I love my husband/wife and theyre a great person except for this absolutely insane poo poo that they do that evidently I can't talk to them about and won't be reasoned with" confound me

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

brugroffil posted:

My boss was very excited to tell me about the Hello Fresh membership he's been doing for a few months and how much money they're saving now.

Since they pretty much always ordered out before, I'm wondering if they actually are coming out ahead.

Blue Apron is 20 bucks per meal for two, so very likely at least a little better if its replacing expensive restaurants.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Droo posted:

I've seen people talk about sites that give you an entire week's shopping list and meal plan for like $10/month, it sounds like it aggregates the shopping list so you just go buy what it says all at once and then make the meals.

whoa, I need this. The whole reason we did Blue Apron is because I am horrible at knowing what to buy at the store and then deciding what to cook with it so I'll end up with a whole bottle of some dumb poo poo I don't need ever again

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Staryberry posted:

This is a new twist on "Married to a Man Child"

lmao

hey she could find five bucks a month pretty easy by canceling his Chapo subscription

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

If they figured out how to eat cheaper they could break even. Lots of things they could be doing to tighten their belt just a little. And yeah $681 utilities wtf

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Jesus. Imagine financing a snowmobile after having all that debt.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Nocheez posted:

I caught you before your edit, lol.

Haha. I was truly dumbstruck at first.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Schiavona posted:

https://youtu.be/VNYNMM0hXXY

Looks like a loving post-bender proof of life video

Jesus this is incredibly grim regardless of the circumstances

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Splicer posted:

ROCK LAW
Neighbors stole our rock.

As someone with fond memories of a large rock at my parents' house, these people are monsters.

I really hope he hires a lawyer and gets his goddamned rock back.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

GriszledMelkaba posted:

https://torontolife.com/real-estate/parkdale-reno-hell/

"The upstairs kitchen was covered in anti-capitalist graffiti."

Holy poo poo. lmao at hiring literally the first random hobo you run into to completely renovate your crackhouse

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Omne posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/21/the-student-loan-bubble.html

Good friggin' lord.

$600,000 in student loans. Six hundred thousand real dollars. How?!?!?!

I feel like there's nothing quite as BWM as an expensive master's degree.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

in college barber licensing was an oft-cited issue libertarians groused about and one that I happen to agree with them on.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

right because they're lobbied for by the professional trade organizations who have an interest in limiting competition

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Craps is definitely the most fun game to win at.

Thank you for bringing that hilarious subreddit to my attention by the way.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

RIP anyone who bought in 2006.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

$850 in car payments sure ain’t great

That sucks though, hard to prepare for losing two goddamned jobs in a row and taking a 50% pay cut. Time to make some drastic changes

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Raldikuk posted:

My favorite from this is this reveal:

Lmbo the car he bought early this year after losing jobs and taking a 50% salary cut was a brand new kia forte. Why? Just loving why. $400/mo + ins for the privilege to drive a brand new kia, just unbelievable. And calling a car that now has 21k miles on it (also how? That's a fuckton of miles for someone whose household has 3 other cars) new. But I'm sure he just means he bought it new.

Kias actually aren't the shitboxes they used to be. Does seem like a high payment for a compact of any kind, though.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

That's a real nice coda to that day-long saga.

Need advice on car troubles

quote:

So I recently bought a brand new 2018 Mazda 6 with the principal balance of 31k, but now its 27k. I pay 494 monthly and I honestly can't deal with the toll that the car payment has on me. The car was given to me by my parents as a surprise but the surprise was that I was the one who was going to pay for it... My question is if I were to sell the car how much would I be losing?

$30k of debt is a great gift indeed

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Eh that's probably a better deal than he could have gotten on his own, too bad about the payments though. Maybe pay it down ahead of time and sell once it puts him in the black?

I think he should work something out with his parents where he's not stuck holding the bag on this huge loan he didn't even ask for.

Theoretically he could just not pay and let them deal with it, but I suspect he probably doesn't want to ruin his relationship with his parents.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Anything ever happened to that boulder guy? I was legitimately upset for him.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Journalists who work for real newspapers tend to be paid pretty well. But I suspect the only way to get that job is to be born rich and go to the "right" schools.

Folks banging out "journalism" for the Atlantic* or Vox or whatever are neither paid well nor necessarily born into wealth, so goodness only knows how they survive.

Vox unionized this year so probably do okay.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

William Munny posted:

Couple of stories from the office:

One guy has been having issues with his car. Rather than going to see a certified mechanic, he went to a family friend who only will "fix" an issue, he won't diagnose anything. So if you're wrong about what's wrong with your car, it's on you. After dropping around $600 in wrong guesses, he's decided the car is a money pit and is planning on trading it on for a new car in the coming weeks.

this completely defeats the purpose of taking it to a friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

How do you rack up that much in CC debt? I don’t understand the decision tree that ends with three near maxed out cards. Especially making half-decent money like this guy. That is just blowing money on an inconceivable scale.