Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Don't miss reading about their cottage either:

http://cottagelife.com/realestate/the-story-of-how-one-young-family-found-their-dream-cottage-for-59000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I drive past a ton of construction every day. At least half of the cars are beat up Pontiac Grand Ams and Toyota Camrys.

He's also not fooling anyone who has driven a truck with the idea that it needs to be new to be comfortable for lots of travel. There's no such thing as a comfortable truck.

Cars are for the proles. Management needs a truck.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Horses can't be BWM, because they aren't a lifestyle choice. They are something you're born into.

* Michelle sighs and draws her riding crop

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Motronic posted:

Federally, no. But many states have them. In mine it's 18% for anything under 2 years old and 21% otherwise.

So my "not sure that's even legal" is because we don't know what state that is and I sure don't know if there are any states without usury laws for that entirely or if any of them are that high.

Supreme Court ruling in Marquette v Omaha basically defaults laws to the state the lending institution is in, so banks moved credit cards, auto loan subsidiaries to bank-friendly states like Delaware or South Dakota.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

No Butt Stuff posted:

I guess I could invite Lowtax over. He can't have too many years left.

She said famous.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

There is probably another explanation but in some places there are periodic property value surveys that can dramatically alter assessments and therefore tax bills. Ours occurs every eight years, most recently in 2016 and before that 2008. Needless to say many property values jumped dramatically on the tax rolls, some in my neighborhood reported more than 40%

Or he's in a state that caps increases in property assessments until the property is sold. If the initial escrow was set on the previous owners low assessment and they owned the property for a while it could be significant. Of course a competent lender wouldn't do that but competent lenders wouldn't have given him a loan.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

$20k would buy a lot of laundry service though? Like a dollar a pound for the service and ten bucks for the task rabbit to run it down to the laundromat and back?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

[quote="“Krispy Wafer”" post="“477623757”"]
Also we owned a $2k IBM PCjr. That poo poo was obsolete before it was even built.
[/quote]

Your mom's obsolete.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

I would compliment your username/post combo, but I have a variant of PCjr as an username on other sites and I wanted to make it consistent across the board. But then you had to exist.

There's always room in the PCjr family! We've got light pens! A word processor with a spell check that takes half an hour to spell check a paragraph! Wireless keyboards! Cartridges! Microsoft Flight Simulator 2! Three-voice synth! Charlie Chaplin! There's never been a better time to be on the jr train!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Fake it until you make it. Come on, people - where have you been?

A version of MS Flight Sim worked on the PCjr? I think you're lying. I'd have killed for a flight sim.

The OS was on a cartridge. So old. So feeble. At least it was cheap compared to other computers at the time. I just remember wishing for an IBM AT with a math co-processor.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-IBM-PC-PCjr-Ver-2-10A-1984-5-25-Floppy-Disk/263250433255?_mwBanner=1

There's a version of river raid on a cartridge for the pcjr that I wish I had known about as a kid...

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrap_(clothing)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Just wait till we're General Boss Hog Deluxe.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the original use of FUD was for IBM mainframe clones who were getting crushed by IBM salespeeps

then it was Microsoft salesfolks inveighing against linux and open source and macs and os/2

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I aspire to the level of contempt that allows you to put 'tasty cheese' on a menu.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Bitcoin-chicken-coop-fire.png

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

hailthefish posted:

Congratulations on your future 75 cent coupon.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

silence_kit posted:

I’m not really angry, in fact I’m kind of a beneficiary of these rules. It’s a little dishonest though, and many local and state governments in the US are being bankrupted by their pension liabilities.

It's more of a problem of demographics rather than excessive benefits, honestly. A handful of executives in Oregon or California making $500K/yr on a pension doesn't matter when there are tens of thousands of boomers retiring and many fewer paying into the system. It's been a known problem for many years.

Articles like these are generated to support gutting the average teacher's $20K/yr pension by 20% or more (who in many states don't get social security.)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

silence_kit posted:

The teacher whose story I told who worked part time almost her entire career is currently collecting a $70k pension. Her state is currently undergoing a budget crisis.

What's the average teacher pension in that state?

The important thing to know is that the people that game pensions aren't the main reason these systems are underfunded. You could haircut down the high earners to the average and it wouldn't solve the problem.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

RDJ’s Stark is modeled after Ellison, not Musk.

I guess Larry's products are the source of untold global suffering, but that's more about their licensing.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

therobit posted:

Rear facing car seats don't once you get beyond the infant sized ones, and even some of the infant sized ones require you to move the passenger seat up quite a bit. If you have two kids under 3 even a mid-sized sedan won't work so well unless the driver is short and not fat.

FWIW some popular toddler-sized rear facing or convertible brands will fit in a Prius (unless you’re like 6’4”). For some seats can also get an (approved) wedge that gets you a few more inches. There’s a billion YouTube car seat fit reviews that cover most popular cars and seat brands.

Even the expensive bourgeoisie brands are cheaper than a new truck.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Journalists who work for real newspapers tend to be paid pretty well. But I suspect the only way to get that job is to be born rich and go to the "right" schools.

Folks banging out "journalism" for the Atlantic* or Vox or whatever are neither paid well nor necessarily born into wealth, so goodness only knows how they survive.

* The Atlantic used to be a very prestigious monthly magazine, but it got bought by some dotcom idiots in the 2000s and they fired the staff in order to "pivot to the web"

You’re thinking of The New Republic.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Small brain - you own a house once you buy it

Medium brain - you own a house once it's paid off

Galaxy brain - you literally never own property because local, state and federal government control how you can use it

If you don’t like the government that enforces the existence of your property rights i have a solution for you

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Mods are gambling, self posts are legal again

I bought that dumb car I mentioned and I got suckered on that "prepay the first 4 years of scheduled maintenance" plan

Did they run out of polygons before they got to bumper? Had to borrow a design from PSX Wipeout?

Also lol isn’t first three years included by default? If not, what’d you pay for? Two oil changes?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Dik Hz posted:

Dude's paying $15k/month in horse boarding. WTF. At that price, you could just buy the loving acres to pasture your horses. Even in the UK.

Those hundreds of quid to unicef lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Baxate posted:

What an insane, hosed up country the UK is.

oi mate a bailiff nicked me telly