Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

KingSlime posted:

You really think more Americans should be shielded from the fact that certain pastimes are a timesink which will contribute nothing but fleeting enjoyment that only distracts you from the bigger problems? Don't never rest, you need rest but in this country a lovely work ethic is usually a much more common problem than being overworked

Part of the problem is that it's a multi billion dollar business to convince people doing unhealthy and wasteful things is actually Good, and that the change from lazy sack of potatoes --> active human being feels really bad for the first week or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Weddings are low hanging BWM fruit, imo

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That was tense, that could have been tens of thousands in vet fees at any moment.

More like a new horse and a few freezers full of meat

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Keeping the horses alive is easy, keeping them alive in a humane way is next to impossible. And extremely bwm

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Youth Decay posted:

Yet another Ponzi scheme going around. "yes, a pyramid, but whatever"

Wait, I don't get this. Isn't this literally just a bunch of people giving you money for some reason?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah I was just baffled at how transparent it is, but apparently there really is a sucker born every minute.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
people hoarding funko pops make me feel good because I'm not them

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

gvibes posted:

Those are starting salaries, I think, but exactly - a very bimodal distribution.

not every lawyer/doctor gets to make fat stacks, even with a decade of seniority

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Some real company loyalty, too. Or there's some red flags he's not telling us about which would make finding a different job difficult.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I love the thought process. Instead of scaling back the wedding due to insufficient funds, dig into emergency funds and long-term investments to pay for it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

TheQuietWilds posted:

It sounds to me like the parents agreed, then backed out after the wedding was over when the bill came

"With a month left to go, a lot of the vendors started calling to make sure we could all pay up."

Sounds like they could've just bailed along with the parents and scaled everything down a tad. But then again maybe they got a really good wedding out of months of planning + 5 years of investments

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah but his page is an actual page from a book and her page is a piece of yellow stained toilet paper with crayon markings all over it

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Except boomers are actually that terrible and no amount of centrist rubbish is going to change that

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Vietnam was very BWM

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

therobit posted:

Wait is that all meals out, or all meals? Do you just not cook?

If you don't engage him maybe he'll go away

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Moneyball posted:

I will fight anyone who takes this bait. Other than EF because he got to it already

Taking free bait is GWM

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

But...why? It's illegal to melt them down as you said. Are people hoarding (partially) silver coins for the apocalypse like the bullion? Or are they just neat to have?

Breaking the law is GWM

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

... but over time we're gonna reach a point where a DUI = instant death penalty unless someone pumps the brakes a bit.

Yeah, so?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah and with psychiatry, dermatology, and radiology covered, you've pretty much got all of medicine.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

OctaviusBeaver posted:

College is expensive but it's not THAT expensive

you must be American.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The average cost for in state colleges is $10k/yr. So $40k for a degree.It's not chump change but it's hardly unaffordable for a once in a lifetime purchase. There are plenty of stories in this thread about people who spend that much on trucks every 4 years. The problem isn't that college isn't affordable, it's that people go to private colleges or go out of state or take a long time to graduate or blow their loan money on horse surgery or get an unfunded Phd, that's where the "$100k in debt and make $20k" stories come from. Not from regular people going to state schools which is what 95% of people should do.

It's not just 10k USD/yr, friend. It's 10k USD/yr + time spent pursuing the degree + additional living and traveling expenses, which all are major maluses on your earning potential during those years. So you're on the hook for tuition while also taking a hit with regards to your short term earnings, all for the opportunity of earning more money many years later. And you're making this choice at 16-18 years old.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The guillotinee's eyes turn into crosses too early

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Do you triple space your posts so people don't have to write how obnoxious you're being in the margins or do you have some other inane reason?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Imbecilic and laughable posts.

:goonsay:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I don't know, it's the US. Lavender oil could be GWM compared to visiting the doc

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Man I wish I saw something like this on my feed so I could rip into them

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The dude running that Facebook group "I'm Wedding Shaming" sold the page for a pretty penny after that 5-page story went viral, so yeah, lots of people are whipping up some hot fresh bridezilla myths to chase that $$$

:goonsay:

Nothing on the internet is sacred anymore. Somewhere out there, there's a real bridezilla but nobody writes down her story because it's not outrageous enough.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
If you make 60k and wanna move to Tokyo you don't wanna do it for a 20% pay increase but for a 200% one, namaste.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Moneyball posted:

This isn't true though

"im not rich! im not rich!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a tiny serving of beluga caviar

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Dik Hz posted:

I hate GGGCs posts like the next guy. But he does have a point. The people who actually work 60 hour weeks don't whine about it.

Yeah this is correct. They don't whine about it, they complain about it, because it's a valid complaint to make and not whining. You whine about cold soup or bird poo poo on your car. The pathetic way the richest and most powerful country treats its unconnected, lower class citizens isn't nearly as inconsequential

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Dik Hz posted:

Ouch, man. I know my posts are bad, but let's not say things we can't take back.

It's ok, I would hate people who falsely complain about work times as well, just haven't met any (yet?)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Suspicious Lump posted:

WHAT THE gently caress. Why would you buy a horse for riding worth 600k. Further down in the comments:

Because they have tens of millions of dollars banked and nothing to spend it on?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Follow-up by op:

"Unfortunately were in no financial situation to pay out to a lawyer. Were expecting our daughter in a couple of weeks. Talked to my mother and she suggested to just let it go. Can't and don't really want to take over the house and can't spend thousand of dollars on lawyer fees."

Decisionmaking this bad should gently caress you over, honestly.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I think they're hosed. Apparently this happened some time ago, and OP doesn't realize that you can't really 'not afford' a lawyer when the alternative is being on the hook for someone else's mortgage. Apparently the ex-boyfriend is also a spiteful rear end who'd "rather watch it burn" than give up the house, so I have no idea why OP didn't go through any paperwork involving that dude with a really fine comb.

Woke: can't spend thousands of dollars on a lawyer (they'd probably get a free first consultation, but hey whatever.)
Broke: just let it go and declare bankruptcy (enjoy your no credit) or pay for a house that's not yours and that you have no claim to

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
"So I just talked to her and the idea behind signing the quick claim was 2 step process. First sign the quick claim. Second get her name off the mortgage. Apparently it was required to take the name off the deed before it could be taken of the mortgage. After the quick claim was signed, the ex stopped talking to her and laughed about it. But your right we need to explore all our options."

jesus christ, I do not envy this guy.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm writing a check to pay for my 1000 lottery tickets with my luxury fountain pen filled with brand-name luxury ink right now

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

With cars, there's a price/quality sweet spot, so no matter how much income you have, it's BWM to pay over a certain price point.

Weddings and restaurants work the same way.

IMO with so much content available to us, we shouldn't settle for the mild BWM of a suboptimal car loan. I mean theres guys out there two times underwater on car loans

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

look at this great human being

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vox Nihili posted:

Dude the thread canon establishes the cutoff at $100k, this is well established.

What's 40 000 + 59 999

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Stakes in companies are like bitcoin because