Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

KingSlime posted:

I love beer and weed but voodoo donuts is like if someone let my 4 year old nephew go hog wild with his "designs" on a box of assorted donuts (we have a chain out here in Portland Cowboy Edition). One of their offerings is literally a creme-filled donut with bits of Capn Crunch slathered on the top.

Marketing haphazardly-thrown together desserts to the drunk, stoned locals and tourists is very GWM, come to think of it

I tried one of the cereal doughnuts once (I think the one with Cocoa Pebbles on top because I love chocolate) and the cereal was stale. Maybe Cocoa Pebbles always tastes stale since I very rarely eat cereal but it wasn't good at all.

It's GWM because it appeals to exactly who you describe, I don't think anyone else goes to Voodoo. Their downtown location (near drunk/stoned locals and tourists) is always packed with a line out the door. But they have, or used to have, a location in the east part of town far in a middle-class neighborhood, and whenever I've been there's no line.

EDIT: They also have oreo doughnuts for VVVVV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

That was for the whole party which was a huge gala, the actual cannon part didn't cost that much

I'm not a huge Hunter Thompson fan, but he doesn't strike me as the type who would have wanted a $5M celebrity gala for his funeral. Unless having big celebrity galas is the new counterculture movement.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Jack2142 posted:

PEOPLE HATE PAYING TAXES TO THE POINT THEY ACTIVELY WASTE MONEY TO AVOID PAYING LESS IN TAXES THAN THE MONEY THEY WASTE.

Its insanely frustrating and honestly really retarded to the point where a couple of my friends spend ~ 2 hours a day commuting to Portland from Vancouver so they dont have to pay state income taxes. if you take the cost of running the car alone, not to mentioned wasted time it would just be easier to pay your drat taxes. The fact one of these people is an accountant makes it extra hilarious to myself.

Oregon sucks so it's worth the commute to get outside hipsterland.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 12, 2017

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I still don't get it, whenever I've lived in a state with income tax withholding is mandatory just like it is with Federal income tax. They would see that this one weird trick tax collectors hate doesn't work the first time they got their paycheck.

So you are just mad because nobody actually spends two hours to save on taxes, but because you read some person posting on Facebook thinking they could do it?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
That thread is full of people sharing their BWM stories:

quote:

I did the same thing when i was 19, only i lost around 55k. Before all of it happened i was actually doing very well day trading. I was trading quality stocks and doing my research every night looking for new entries. But me being 19 i wanted more, so i started making dumb moves. I did what i was always told not to do, and what i thought i would never do. I started trading penny stocks, huge mistake. I wanted instant success and tried finding an easy route to it. I have always suffered from depression, so my depression was very severe after this loss. I was prescribed all kinds of poo poo. I didn't look at the stock market for at least 3 years after, i wanted to burrow myself into a hole and never come out. Long story short is i am back in the stock market but only doing long term investing for now. I may get back into day trading again because i was good at it before i started trying to be greedy. My depression is at bay and i just look at the situation as a good hard lesson now. My advise is to quit seeking instant success and satisfaction. You can seek success but know that its going to take time, hard work, and passion.

I was very good at losing $55K :downs:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Did she really make a PowerPoint presentation about the condos being BWM? :spergin:

Just raise the rent so you aren't losing money anymore, as long as The Rent Is Too Goddamn High guy isn't around then everybody will be happy except the renters.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The whole post gave off a massive management consulting vibe from both of them.

The plus side is that we have some potential thread titles:

BUY ALL THE REAL ESTATE EVERYWHERE FOREVER
I gave him spreadsheets and powerpoints that went into great detail about why it was such a bad idea

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Suspicious Lump posted:

Eat less avocados on toast and don't buy four coffees a day says a super wealthy fucker who got 34k from his grandparents to start a gym 20 years ago:

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work...3982ac0a73df3c9

It's kinda interesting to see someone around my age give similar terrible advice to people a lot older than us. For those that don't know, Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne went through an awesome housing boom, that as far as I know hasn't stopped. If you got in at the start, you get a massive boost up. Of course going from humble beginnings to being worth half a billion takes work and dedication but blaming eating out as the sole reason you haven;t bought a home is delusional.

Maybe but he says:

quote:

“They want to eat out every day, they want to travel to Europe every year. This generation is watching the Kardashians and thinking that’s normal. Thinking that owning a Bentley is normal, that owning a BMW is normal."

How accurate that is I'm not sure, but it reminds me a lot of The Millionaire Next Door which helped deflate a lot of superstitions about how millionaires lived (TLDR most of them lived like middle class people.) Depending on where you live and who you work with, you can have some pretty unreasonable expectations about how society expects you to live, one that encourages you being BWM, which is why it's so common to read about people buying too much house, cars worth more than their annual salary, and other stupid poo poo.

I liked how he said Syndey was too expensive for him. He's worth a half-billion and he says "yeah that city is loving overpriced and I'm not buying there." It's not like he can't afford it. Syndey sounds a lot like Vancouver which is stupid expensive now and people just keep buying.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
What kind of essential oils are we talking about? There are cheap oils out there like rosemary or peppermint, then there's mysore sandalwood and oud which require taking out a HELOC to buy. (No, not a Horse Equity Line of Credit.)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

cowofwar posted:

What makes an oil, essential, anyways?

It's not like an essential amino acid or vitamin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_oil

quote:

An essential oil is a concentrated hydrophobic liquid containing volatile aroma compounds from plants. Essential oils are also known as volatile oils, ethereal oils, aetherolea, or simply as the oil of the plant from which they were extracted, such as oil of clove. An oil is "essential" in the sense that it contains the "essence of" the plant's fragrance—the characteristic fragrance of the plant from which it is derived.[1] The term essential used here does not mean indispensable as with the terms essential amino acid or essential fatty acid which are so called since they are nutritionally required by a given living organism.[2]

Essential oils are generally extracted by distillation, often by using steam. Other processes include expression, solvent extraction, absolute oil extraction, resin tapping, and cold pressing. They are used in perfumes, cosmetics, soaps and other products, for flavoring food and drink, and for adding scents to incense and household cleaning products.

There are also fragrance oils which are things like that smell like it; for instance, real sandalwood essential oil is very expensive because it literally comes from a tree, but then you've got ebanol which smells like it and is a pretty popular substitute in sandalwood fragrances.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

quote:

Because he was abroad, and because his PayPal account was still out of commission, he suggested that I use Western Union to send him the money in care of his assistant. This seemed reasonable enough to me. (As everyone knows, airline pilots often have personal assistants.) So I sent the money and waited for the tickets. And waited. And waited. And waited.

Jesus Christ what a dumbass

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'm not going to read all of that, nobody is, it sounds like he went nutters and is off to be found dead in a few years or something.

quote:

I’m sorry but I have to cut this message a lot shorter than I want to.

Jesus Christ

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Motronic posted:

Yep. I wasn't being sarcastic there.

Didn't Chris McCandless of "Into the Wild" fame do the same thing? I think he dropped out, sold everything, and went on his road trip to "find himself."

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
The big reason it's fake is because UMD has something called a Medalist, who got a higher GPA with a triple major: https://www.commencement.umd.edu/university-medalist.html

So this kid is a complete loser.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'm looking forward to that kid's Kickstarter.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

Obviously it'll be an Indiegogo or Gofundme

They let you keep the money even if you fail :downs:

I wonder what the project risks will be. "I could be too successful!"

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Tamarillo posted:

Sigh. This is my brother in law. Actually an amazing programmer and creamed it in his 20s, but somewhere along the way decided that it was intolerable to work for anyone but himself, and spurned paid employment. He wears permanent blinkers and has a towering fortress of self belief and confidence that he knows best.

He's in his mid 40s now and has spent the last 5 years living with his parents, getting an allowance and failing to do anything even mildly profitable. His parents want their house back but don't know how to even start talking about it. They're also totally broke and can't really afford to keep supporting him.

You should send him that letter that the UMD "valedictorian" wrote to him. Maybe it will inspire him to move out and achieve the massive success just waiting for him. He could even re-use the same "this is why I'm moving out, in-laws" letter complete with special thanks to Obama.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/financialindependence/comments/6cq1eu/advice_on_selling_stock_without_license/ posted:

Advice on selling stock without license. (self.financialindependence)

I need some serious advice. I am a college student and was recently brought on as the summer intern at AmericaTowne, Inc. My job is sales, and my boss wants me to sell stock for a company called ATI Modular Technology, however I have no licenses whatsoever. The stock symbol is GREI, because we acquired a company called Global Recycle Energy and are waiting on the ticker symbol to change https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/GREI?p=GREI . He says that until it changes, the company cannot be publicly traded and can only be privately sold. He says we are selling it at 85% of the actual price because those who buy it cannot sell it until the symbol change goes through. For the last week I had been soliciting friends and family to invest and even made some calls to financial advisors, until one informed me this is illegal. I talked to some people on reddit and took my concerns to my supervisor. He said that because he is the owner of the company for which I am selling stock,he has the right to have me sell stock under him. He did not seem concerned when I mentioned calling the SEC, said that we are a public company under the SEC, and everything we do is legal. I have no knowledge on this topic and don't know who to believe. Is there any way this is legal? If not, what specific laws can I bring to him or what specific questions should I ask him? I called the SEC but there was no response and am waiting on a call back. I am also currently at my work office so will probably not be able to talk to them until after. People on reddit are just telling me to leave but it is not that simple because I direly need the money from this job for rent. I am not ignoring this advice, however, as I have scheduled some interviews. Any advice is welcome, thank you so much.

Yes this guy is shilling a stock on the pink sheets to his friends and family.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Speaking of which:

"What happens if you need the windshield on your BMW washed and I'm the homeless guy on the corner with a squeege... hmmmmmmmmmm? :smug:"

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Same guy:

quote:

Hey guys, im a longtime follower of this subreddit so i was wondering if you guys could help me out with my issue. I graduated college 2 years ago with a chemistry and math degree and i have been working temporary jobs (teaching and in a lab) for the past 2 years. I wanted to get to medical school but I didnt get in despite my scores were average for accepted applicants. I have three options...

1) I could get a masters program in a private medical school designated to increase my chances of going to the private medical school which costs (60k in tuition) then plus 4 years of tuition of medical school when i attend (60k times 4 = 240) ..300k loans total

2) I could attempt to bring up my MCAT score and apply to my state school and pay only 40k a year for tuition. I dont know if i will be able to get in

3) I could drop the whole medical school deal.

I've been trying to get admitted for two years but it has not been working out for me despite my good scores. My parents are really pushing me to go to the masters and take out the loans so I could get my career going since I have been living with them since I graduated but I don't really want to go in a huge amount of debt at 7 percent interest.

Any tips of advices? I really hate owing people a bunch of money.

Why doesn't he consider a medical school in the Caribbean :downs:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ashcans posted:

Yea, it doesn't sound like they are going to be leaving their kids much less in the way of assets, so making sure that they have life insurance for them sounds like the only decent choice they made. Of course they shot themselves in the foot with whole insurance, but its still better than buying another disney vacation.

I've never heard of whole life offered through work, only term which is GWM especially since they have kids.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah, I forgot that, I haven't used it in quite a while.

You couldn't drive all day but you could drive up to your mileage allotment which I think is 140mi/day. That's about five hours or so of Ubering.

Maybe Zipcar has modified mileage limits for Uber drivers. That or they are only focusing on part-time drivers.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Dick Nipples posted:

Ya - that's pretty much how I feel about it. I wish that it'd been better structured. The part I'm puzzled about is why the estate didn't go into my aunt's control from the start... it seems like that'd have been a better long term plan given that she raised my cousin.

I dunno - this isn't about me though. Enough of my own thoughts on the matter.

Maybe because they thought your dad would be able to say "no" more than your aunt.

That's the nice thing about professional trustees. They're used to this. They can also say "every time you threaten to sue us for abiding by the terms of the trust, those are billable hours that we get to take out of your trust fund :smug:" which tends to shut people up.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Droo posted:

That guy is 25 and apparently both he and his girlfriend live with the mom, have no intention of moving out, and don't pay for their own car / cell phone / etc. I kind of think the mom has a point about the money.

I wonder if she wanted him to move out, and hoped that the ultimatum would force him to move out and get an apartment.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Zo posted:

i mean i can see somebody intervening if the guy was being physically violent

but nope, the girls had already walked away from him. no reason to escalate at that moment. those dumb dead morons just wanted to feel good beating up an easy target and instead they got owned lol.

kinda reminds me of the election all over again.

Wrong thread?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I mean, isn't the point of a trust that the heir throwing a tantrum does *not* get it signed over to them? I have no idea of the legal structure involved but like, isn't being tantrum-proof is supposed to be what it's for?

If I had a trust(we can all dream~) and all I had to do to gain control of the principal was throw a hissy fit, then frankly, I would. She didn't have to cut off the family or whatever - keep the legal matters legal.

Yes and no, it depends on how the trust is written. If she was covered under something like a special needs trust, which is an actual thing, then it's not uncommon for the actual trustee to be a professional, with someone close to the family supervising them: http://www.specialneedsalliance.org/do-i-really-need-a-professional-trustee-for-my-special-needs-trust/

Even a trust which boils down to "if I die, use my trust to pay for my kid's education and give them whatever is left at some age when hopefully they are a grownup" is boilerplate for any estate planning attorney.

I guess her uncle doesn't have to deal with her now that she's in prison, so win? :shrug: And there's no family drama since she's in lockup, so win again? :shrug:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

I think we're all underestimating how loving annoying it'd be living in a J.G. Wentworth commercial for a whole year. 365 days of this:

Even the dead father would be like, "just let it go."

Which is why you get a professional trustee because their literal job is dealing with beneficiaries who want to liquidate the trust.

Or just bill the trust yourself every time you have to deal with them because trustees get to pay themselves.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

And when the trustee sues you I guess you can bill the trust for your legal costs? At some point, it's either costing you money to keep the status quo or protecting the trust is slowly draining it with fees. It sounds like the uncle was doing alright dealing with his niece's demands until she mentioned lawsuits.

In retrospect, it should have totally been handled by professionals. But that wasn't the way it was set up.

In general, yes, a trustee can bill the trust for legal fees, it depends on how the trust was written (and of course if a trustee was committing fraud, no judge would allow them to use it as a defense fund.)

In this situation, pushing the trust administration off to a professional would probably have diffused the lawsuit entirely, since the court no longer sees "trustee uncle vs. beneficiary niece" but instead "licensed professional vs. whiny brat". Then the niece would have had to find a lawyer to take this case on contingency and good luck with that.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Academician Nomad posted:

However, there has been a political / rhetorical shift over the past few decades (as boomers get further from their own educations) to pretend that a university education is a purely private good, benefiting only the recipient, and thus the recipient should be the only one who pays for it. It's dumb and bad economics.

Nail Rat posted:

Just pretend I derail birded myself.

:rip: "no last word" thread policy

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

canyoneer posted:

Ahaha, what gym is $250/month in the same geographic area where people would be paying $170 for an HOA? Probably some crossfit thing that's going to break their spines

There are some really fancy gyms out that can cost this much, complete with valet parking. It's not a gym as much as it is a place to socialize and be seen, kind of like Starbucks but with treadmills.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Devian666 posted:

Sentiment has changed on a local financial site and people are actually asking me about an OBR event where bank accounts would take a hair cut. NZ has no deposit insurance and most of the population isn't aware of the change.

No deposit insurance? I guess that's one way to deal with moral hazard but :stare: Do you mean public or is there some kind of private deposit insurance that's going to go nuclear when things finally blow?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

crazypeltast52 posted:

Get rid of Prop 13 and let municipalities raise taxes for local poo poo like roads, while making it so you can't be sitting on a house you bought in the 70s and only see your taxable value go up 2% a year with a 1% max tax rate.

You'd have a bunch of old people that vote and bought their house 30 years ago marching in the streets if you tried to repeal it now, not to mention the news stories of people on social security now being unable to afford their property taxes. Not saying they shouldn't but there is no way this is happening.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I'm sure you're being half facetious half serious but a $100-200B tax hike almost exclusively applied to high earners to pay for something they almost exclusively don't need is probably a political non starter. A sales or VAT is in my opinion a more likely (but still pretty unlikely) option.

It would be very effective (in getting tech companies to move to Seattle/Austin.)

I'm guessing they will try a payroll tax, the idea being that companies no longer have to pay health insurance for their employees so they can just pay that money to the state instead. That seems too obvious and must have been rejected already though.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

LLCoolJD posted:

An outspoken liberal friend of mine recently posted a "rich get richer" envy article railing against the benefits homeowners receive through the mortgage interest tax deduction. The article featured hard-up Americans who had to rent and who lacked the "wealth" to buy a home and the benefits that come with it.

Of their limited number of examples, one was a janitor with four kids and a stay-at-home wife. Another was an ex-con with a robbery conviction.

Except that the mortgage deduction is phased out at high income levels: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/homeowner-tax-deductions-29693.html

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

https://www.petcha.com/tax-breaks-for-pet-bird-owners/ posted:

Pet Bird-Related Business Breaks
If pet birds are your livelihood, their necessities may be tax deductible. Owners of performing birds, bird breeders, pet shop proprietors and other bird-related businesses may deduct expenses involved in operating their businesses, including, but not limited to: food, housing, veterinary care and equipment. If a portion of your property is devoted to aviaries for breeding birds, you may qualify for agricultural zoning, which may lower your property taxes.

If you have a room or space in your home specially designated for business activity, you may qualify for a home office deduction. Because many bird-related businesses are part-time enterprises, you must be able to prove that you actively pursued the business as an income-producing entity. Consult your tax advisor for specific advice.

Buying a bigger house for your bird and deducting the bird room from your taxes = GWM :downs:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Apparently the 15% tax on Chinese "foreign speculative buyers" in Vancouver didn't work and home prices are rising again: http://www.rebgv.org/sites/default/files/REBGV-Stats-Package-May-2017.pdf

It doesn't say if people are just paying the extra tax or Canadians themselves are loading themselves up with debt, but the debt situation is so bad that the IMF is giving out warnings.

If it is like every other real estate bubble out there, it's going to be ugly when it pops.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah, "fair" was determined based on a lie. If I say "let's split the rent 50/50" that's "fair" until you find out the rent is much lower than I told you it was.

If they agreed to split rent/groceries/expenses 50/50 and he is paying 50%, which he is, then that sounds fair by definition. He didn't claim poverty so she'd pay more.

I'm guessing he's one of those Mr Money Mustache types who is saving a ton of money so he can retire at 35 or something.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

BarbarianElephant posted:

Self-employed people can have big ups and downs. He might make $200k one year, $50k the next. He might be nervous about upgrading his lifestyle to $200k and then next year not being able to pay the mortgage.

This is a good point. If the BF is, I dunno, a real estate agent in Vancouver or Auckland, I can see both wanting to squirrel away money for when the local real estate market collapses and his income drops, and not wanting to buy a house in an overheated market.

But if two people in a relationship make unequal amounts of money, 50/50 isn't a fair split. It should go by percentages, so the lower-income person isn't giving up nearly all their earnings to keep up. Lying to her like this took money out of her pocket, money it might have been a hardship to spend. Doing it 50/50 can also cause resentment on the higher-earner's side, because they feel held back by always having to make things fit the lower-earner's budget.

That "can cause resentment on the higher-earner's side" is not true at all. Any friction would be caused by their willingness to spend money (regardless of how much they made.) Two frugal people are going to get along fine if one is making $30K and the other is making $300K because they are both hitting Aldi's looking for marked-down meat and are driving cars until they finally fall apart from rust.

Steampunk Hitler posted:

I drove an american car that was almost 20 years old when I got rid of it in the North East where my city salts the roads a lot. Even then it still drove fine, it just developed an electrical problem that was expensive enough that I decided it was worth buying a new car instead of repairing my almost 20 year old car. Hell my current car was 8 years old when I bought it last year and it had also been driven in the same conditions and it looks almost brand new.

All you need to do is wash your car once in a while, especially after the road has been salted, to wash it off. This isn't the '70s.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

:rolleyes: Never want anything different than your partner and then you'll never disagree. Bing bong so simple.

Finding someone with compatible spending habits is GWL (and GWM if you are both frugal.) You don't even need to agree 100% of the time, shockingly.

Oh hey look, yet another revision that makes the woman the villain.

People don't usually leave their tax returns out two months after they were due.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Point of order, Mr. Relationship Expert, you just said wanting to make different spending choices "can't cause resentment." Pick an argument, don't just keep flipping to the opposite of whatever I said so The Woman Is Always Wrong.

You are the one who said, and I quote, "Doing it [splitting expenses] 50/50 can also cause resentment on the higher-earner's side, because they feel held back by always having to make things fit the lower-earner's budget" even though we don't even know who is making more money, and assuming it's her, she's not resentful about fitting things into his budget, but is resentful that one line on his tax return is $200K+, and assuming it's him, he's not resentful at all about about having to lower his spending because he's doing it because he's frugal/cheap, and assuming they both make the same amount, they're both looking at each other thinking the other is crazy because "she spends too much!"/"he spends so little!" even though for all we know she is looking to buy a tiny house or something and he's clearing a lot less after taxes and expenses.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Two places where it's BWM to buy an used car from: Louisiana and New England.

Just get used cars checked out by a trusted mechanic. I know a few used car dealers in the Seattle area who import their cars from New England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

KingSlime posted:

Point taken as it's certainly important to try and be aware of assumptions that we may have internalized, but in my experience plenty of people from both genders struggle with tax forms

My old boss had a hell of a time getting my tax forms squared away despite running multiple businesses, something that infuriated me to no end.

Something that comes up every year at my employer is fixing the tax paperwork on our employee stock purchase plan, since if you just use the numbers on the W2/1099 forms, you'll pay income tax twice on the discount. I mostly understand this now though I don't know why they can't just fix the drat forms.

If you own a mutual fund with international companies in a taxable account, you'll get a piece of paper mentioning you can take the foreign income tax credit, which only requires you to parse this 24 page document. Or you just find an example on the web and copy-paste.

There is a reason people to go to tax firms and accountants at tax time, and that has nothing to do with your sex and everything to do with confusing tax forms.

I seriously doubt I could parse a Schedule C and if someone said "how much money did this self-employed person actually take home, here's a stack of tax forms" I do not think I could tell you.