Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Haifisch posted:

And we also have community colleges to let you get the first two years at a discount, and also private schools with deep enough pockets to maybe be the same price as state schools if they give you the scholarships(read: be poor, very smart, or ideally both), and also several different ways to get funding for school(private loans, various types of federal loans, the maze of scholarships that are often only worth $500-1000 a pop, etc).

e: federal. not feral. Although feral loans is an interesting mental image.

You probably already know this but I try to repeat it as often as possible because it's life-changing information: If you are a low-income, high-merit student, aim high, not for the middle tier colleges. The Ivys are the ones with the deep pockets to give you a full ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Folly posted:

I was taught that you should generally only finance 1 car ever, your first one. The plan goes like this:

Finance a reasonable used economy car with a reasonable loan from the credit union. When you pay it off, keep making payments into a bank account just like you were still paying off the car. Your budget already accommodates this expense.

At the end of each year, raise your insurance deductible to the amount you have in that account and review/increase your liability limit as appropriate. Pay the difference into your account.

When that account gets large enough to cover the replacement cost of another reliable used economy car, drop your insurance to liability only. Pay the difference into your account. When the account is large enough to buy 2 appropriate cars, you are now self insured. You should never have to make another car payment unless you suffer some staggering loss. Keep putting money into the account to upgrade the quality of car you want to buy next.

Of course, no financial plan survives contact with reality, but it's a pretty good framework. (And like uXs said, if you can find a way NOT to own a car, try that first.)

Most Americans need their first car when they're really young and have no credit though. And how does the insurance side of the plan work as far as covering potential medical costs from an accident?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Folly posted:

You're self-insuring collision and comprehensive, not medical or liability.

Not sure what you're point is about the credit. This plan isn't about how to get financing, it's about how to avoid financing a second car.

If you can't figure out how being young and having no credit applies to a "just build upon what you started with" plan I don't think there's much help for you. Spoiler, guy whose parents obviously bought his first car: The financing options when you're young are usurious or nonexistent. That's why most young people pay cash for their very cheap first few cars and likely don't finance one for years.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Moneyball posted:

Don't do it, Folly. :cripes:

Sorry you took it that way.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

baquerd posted:

If you've got financially illiterate parents, that sucks and you'll be at a big disadvantage. Those with parents that know their financial rear end from their elbow can add their kids as authorized users and do other actions that will create a credit history and score for their kids.

You can be as smart as you want, if you're poor you still don't have money to buy things. But maybe you could skip back to one of the last thousand times this thread had to explain what banking options are like for low-income people.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Good Parmesan posted:

But I spent 64$ on food in 2 weeks.
Dave and busters (64$)

Is he lumping drinks and video games into the food category there or did he seriously buy like eight orders of microwaved chicken wings.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BigDave posted:

I had a CareCredit card once. Applied for it and never used it. After 12 months they closed it for inactivity and my FICO score dropped 20 points.

I had a dentist's office sign me up for CareCredit without my permission. The receptionist asked for my driver's license when I checked in, which in hindsight is weird but at the time I was distracted by an agonizing toothache. I had my appointment and when I was still in the chair this guy sits down with a laptop to talk me through my "financing options" for a bunch of dental surgery I hadn't even discussed with the dentist, let alone agreed to. I tell him I don't want to do any of that, and he starts acting incredibly awkward and turns his laptop to show me a CareCredit login all up and running with my own name and info. Turns out the receptionist called CareCredit and pretended to be me and used my soc/birthdate to apply for a card without even mentioning it to me. Same thing, closed after 12 months of inactivity, free hit to my FICO score. Thanks, sleazeballs.

Panfilo posted:

I've heard that owning a sailboat is another BWM thing, for reasons somewhat similar to horses. I know that the co workers I have that item sailboats are all trying to get rid of them because they've become a money sink.

Pray for Windjammer, thought of barnacles and died...

Tomfoolery posted:

I apologize for my machine-gun posting but these are too good. This isn't actually BWM but I am super happy somebody used the phrase "Typical pro-slaughter rhetoric" in this derail that's much better than any of ours:

From the comments at https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloodstock/investigation-finds-source-of-abandoned-horses-in-southwest/

Somebody called Joyce Moore posted:

How can you possibly equate horse slaughter with human organ harvesting or the use of cadavers for research? These activities require consent and are not brutally carried out on unsuspecting victims. Wow, just wow.

An actual unironic "wow just wow" in the wild. Incredible.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

therobit posted:

Probably not too big a hit to your FICO, but yeah unethical as hell. I doubt its is legal even for a dentist's office although like retailers they are not held to the same standards as a bank, and there are likely few enforcement mechanisms. It would not surprise me if that practice were widespread.

The CFPB actually solicits customer complaints, so if you are still pissed about it, you could try telling your story to them. That agency really likes to hear about how companies are being sleazeballs and how industry practices are unfair. They have fewer teeth under Trump than they did under Obama, but their scope of regulation is pretty broad and they address a lot of stuff that is technically legal but not fair/ethical. I have not heard rumblings of them investigating doctor's office financing but if they get enough complaints about it they just might. For Instance, I think they were the first government agency to start looking at sub-prime auto lending.

Thanks, I might just do that. I don't know if the credit thing is common, but other sleazy things they did were, like sticking a camera in my mouth with the contrast turned way up so normal color variation looked like deadly cavities. The entire appointment was just an attempt to upsell a bunch of invasive and unnecessary procedures. The guy told me I needed four root canals and like a dozen crowns. Luckily I had the wherewithal to seek a second opinion and found out I didn't have so much as a single cavity, but I'm sure a lot of people going through that office get scared to death and scammed out of thousands.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I don't know anything about bitcoin other than I guess it is digital money that you data mine for or some poo poo and tbh I don't care how it works but how are people so sure it will crash?

Hi, guy with a racial slur in his username, there are entire threads that can answer your question, not to mention google.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

You called me "it" and when I asked you to apologize you said:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Edit: no

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Killstick posted:

Wait, don't you have like personal identification numbers or something? What if two people have the same name and birthday? Thousands of babies with the same name must be born every year. How does that system even work?

We have social security numbers, but they aren't designed to be used as ID numbers and there's a lot of cultural reluctance (insane fundamentalist numerology paranoia) against designing something for that purpose.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

omnibobb posted:

Is it paranoia that I don't want the number of the beast tattooed on me?!?!?

Obviously, but if you've ever purchased anything with a bar code on it you're already going to hell so drink up

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Krispy Wafer posted:

Doesn't it take months to get evicted? Like she had to be in serious trouble before the hurricanes even hit.

Depends on the state. California's got really strong renter protections, but I'd guess Florida not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
[Tell] me how to talk my friend out of owning horses