Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I don't know much about med school - is it common to not match? Does he get a second chance?
There are no residencies in the Caribbean, when you school in one you have to match to residences in other countries as International Medical Graduates (IMGs), only a small number of slots are reserved for these people (like 5-10%). So if you're Canadian and got rejected by Canadian med schools and went to a Caribbean med school because you were fated to be a doctor then you have to be really loving awesome with amazing references to get one of the few slots allocated to IMGs. Almost all Canadian med students match to a residency domestically; many Canadians who trained in the Caribbean do not. This is a case of good money chasing bad where people don't know when to give up and move on.

And even if you are a Canadian who trained in the Caribbean who matched in the UK or something you will face many expensive and trying challenges trying to move your practice back to your home country. Should've been a nurse and made bank with overtime domestically.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The BWM thread has become itself what it hates.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
$35k is 135% of median salary? Are you in India?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Someone disrupt the food market by packaging best before prepared meals in a box with wireless connectivity so you can check on your phone what's for dinner.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Alright here's a food/money question - how the gently caress do those $1/day food budget rice and bean people eat any FRUIT? My coworker is super smug about how he and his wife spend less than $150 a month on food and I have no clue how you would ever consume anything fruit-like on that budget.

I grow a lot of fruit and veg in my yard for free which I package and freeze for the year.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Flooger posted:

I knew that a lot of people didn't have any kind of retirement plan, but today I saw firsthand how bad it was.

I'm a line supervisor at a factory, managing about 25 people. Our company's fiscal year recently ended, and we did pretty good so they are giving everyone a bonus based on a percent of their wages or salary for the past year. When announcing this bonus to my teams, I had to tell them that everyone who doesn't want 401k taken out must opt out.

Only 3 people even had a 401k started. Some of these people are in their 40s and even 50s, the only three with a 401k are mid twenties.

Our 401k is a 6% match and you are immediately vested. :cry:

If their hourly wage is poo poo I can see not being able to enjoys luxuries like saving.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Flooger posted:

Sure, and I've been there. But this is the 2nd highest paying factory in town. For people with no degree or trade skills, this is just about as good as it gets.

I really think it's just an education issue. They might get told to invest their money, but not understand what it is. It needs to be explained in easy to understand and relatable terms. All they know is that there will be less numbers on their paycheck.

If they work in the best factory then they need to spend to show it.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Addictions are never cured, only managed. They are always there, lurking, waiting to emerge and take control one drunk evening.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Wow serious BWM converting yuan -> physical gold -> dollars.

For such a small bar he could probably sell it for its full value to someone who wants a bar but he might also just get robbed.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
What makes an oil, essential, anyways?

It's not like an essential amino acid or vitamin.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's essential in the, like, "having the essence of" sense, not the "non-optional" sense.
Okay that's not what the word means but I guess retards being retarded.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah, we're talking about how countries like Japan and the EU are going to handle their old people and the answer is automation. Grandma won't even need UberGray to take her to the doctor most times because her Amazon ShowMe will let her video conference with a work-from-home nurse who can do vitals and if necessary conference in a doctor in Bangladesh who is half the cost of a regular physician.

We haven't really seen much cost savings in medical technology yet, but most poo poo will get cheaper and easier to use as the most Selfish Generation ages.

Grandma presses button and receives monitoring kit in mail from amazon. She wears it overnight and then her gig doctor from India goes over her deets. If she has amazon prime she gets a real doctor.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

BW(Parents')Money:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/valedictorian-university-maryland-drops-out-school-two-managadze

I was going to bold a bunch of passages in the letter he wrote, but just read it.

It's long, but holy poo poo this kid has a terminal combination of dumb and smug.

(My favorite part is when he asks his parents to not be mad at him for dropping out after they paid all of his tuition because he needs a place to live while he looks for investors for his startup.)

Make sure to click his Youtube link to a video of him rapping about entrepreneurship.

Mental break. Dude went schizo.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

theHUNGERian posted:

Assuming this person stays on the (self)exploitation career-track, what is the next step?

Only way to be hosed more for less is to be a sex worker.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Krispy Kareem posted:

I've heard British teeth are due to non-fluorinated water, so I'm not entirely sure it's just a lack of braces.

I didn't do braces for my kids, although they both had retainers/head gear to fix overbites and underbites. Putting my oldest in head gear was expensive, but at least it looked funny.
Fluoride strengthens enamel and reduces cavity rate in population, doesn't affect alignment.

Crazy paranoid towns that remove fluoridation pf water supply: BWM but mostly evil because it mostly affects the poor and gives them one more barrier to overcome.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

British people actually have less cavities and missing teeth than Americans and other affluent countries but far fewer cosmetic procedures than Americans. It's sort of a hard question to evaluate however because dental health in general is improving and there is a lot of cultural and socioeconomic variability in how often people go to the dentist etc.
I imagine the inequality distribution is greater in the US than UK and that oral health measures reflect that quite drastically given that Doctors Without Borders pulls a lot of teeth in have-not US regions.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Agreed on that, but he says that she was not like this until he moved his girlfriend in (7 months ago) and it escalated once the money came into his possession (a month ago).

He was still a helpless man-baby before.

Like, even if you hadn't worked for the last 5-years you should at least have your own debit card at 27.

Financial illiterate young adults are normally that way as a result of worthless parenting who never talk about money or instill financial literacy from an early age. I wouldn't hang all of this on the kid.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If a parent never offsets more and more responsibility on to their child from the moment the child is capable then you end up with an incompetent manchild who shuts down and retreats as a BWM reddit incel when society expects them to conform because they are 25 and don't have a bank account and have never done their own laundry.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Horses: BWL, Canada so not as BWM and didn't cause a medical bankruptcy.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-dog-honoured-as-purina-hero-after-rescuing-owner-arizona-desert-1.4139351

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

quote:

Matkea was about 460 metres from home when her horse spooked and reared back violently, without warning.

The veteran equestrian was knocked unconscious and became entangled in the reins.

Helpless to free herself from the terrified filly, Matkea was dragged for more than a kilometre across the rugged terrain.

Her skull was fractured. Her scalp was pulled back, down to the bone.

Eventually, her riderless horse returned home, setting off alarm bells for Matkea's husband.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Jesus some weird poo poo in here: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/01/fashion/parents-wont-pay-for-gap-year.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Construction management needs at least a $60k truck for an entry internship.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I'm surprised trucks were so cheap for so long before the car manufacturers realized that truck drivers are the dumbest, most insecure people that are most susceptible to pressure from conspicuous consumption.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The hardware and software technology advancements during my formative years were seemingly a lot more significant if now the big advancements are software bullshit like filters.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Pryor on Fire posted:

Apparently all the girls have moved to insta, that's really all you need to know about snap's future. Like seriously that's it end of story, you don't need to google the financials or whatever.

Check's out

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

CmdrRiker posted:

I don't understand the derail birds. Isn't unravelling all of the biased judgements we're making about other people's BWM choices part of the fun for this thread?

Scrolling past pages of dog poo poo is hardly fun.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If you care about someone then spend time with them and take them out for a beer. If you don't care about them then don't waste time and money trying to keep up pretences by buying them stupid poo poo that they don't want.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

This might cross into GWM territory, but my boss is having an American Girl Doll theme for her Daughter's 5th birthday party and requesting pre-paid Mastercard and Visa giftcards only as gifts. Her daughter wants to go to the American Girl store and pick up a Doll and some clothes as her presents.

The Doll + 3 Outfits that she wants are about $650.

I hope someone robs the party.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Not money-related, but she put the links to the dolls and clothes her daughter wants on the invitation. So, all the guests know exactly how much she needs and that they will be responsible for crushing her daughter's dreams if their gifts don't exceed that threshold.
Is she poor or nouveau riche because she lacks a tremendous amount of class

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
So this lady blows $1000 a month on her kid's tumbling bullshit as well?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

ate all the Oreos posted:

I fundamentally do not understand people like this. I mean I kinda get wanting a family tradition but "consume specific product" just seems like such a loving hollow way to get there. Plus it's much more expensive than the far better tradition of "every christmas season we gather around the kitchen and bake dong-shaped cookies"

Please, the non-bigoted term is "transgender" :colbert:

Sorry that was a terrible joke :v:

A lot of people are really boring and have no skills or abilities so their lives revolve entirely around consumption of fads.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Poverty trap + mental illness + society. Rough.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Wow, girl thinks her cancer dad should subsidize her lifestyle.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

A story about BWM horse ownership and somehow the horses themselves are the least BWM part.

Holy poo poo. $8500 for a dog?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
do never cosign

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
You can basically get the same thing if you pay $50k or $1M. It's like the lady that spent $8500 for a dog that could be otherwise purchased for $500. The only difference is the margins that people are pocketing.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
He makes $200k a year, he can afford to spend $1500 on food because he can't cook.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
No one is interested in teaching a goon how to cook and if the most effort he can make to change his lifestyle is make a reddit post then it's completely unremarkable BWM. Basically all of Manhattan orders take-out every night and doesn't cook, hence the dominant and persistent fridge full of Chinese take-out boxes and nothing else meme in every media circa 1980-present day.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Tangentially related note I saw a MY16 BMW on the sales floor today with $17,000 in dealer added options (tints, wheels, vinyl wrap, nitrogen tires, etc etc) on fire sale for significantly under the pre-options MSRP

Apparently there's a pretty large excess of cars coming off lease so you should be able to find some decent used cars as compared to the used market from the last few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

spwrozek posted:

Golden State spent $200K on Champagne after winning the NBA championship last night. Pretty much all of it was sprayed in the air and went down the drain. I know they are a pro basketball team but still pretty BWM.
Well the people paying for that are the fans paying $80 for a seat and $50 for a hotdog and beer