Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
Speaking of TSP...

Coworker 1 (8 years ago, after severe market correction): My TSP is invested totally into the G fund (T-bills) because Coworker 2 said that the G fund never loses money and it's the safest option.
Me: That barely keeps up with inflation, you need something more balanced
Coworker 1: Thanks for the info, I'm going all in on the C fund (stocks) now
Me: No.... keep it balanced, you know you can just pick a target fund...
Coworker 1: Can't, I need to make up for the losses and don't have much time.

Coworker 2 (today): I won't do an annuity, I'm going to withdraw it all when I retire
Me: I'm confused by your statement, based on my understanding of FERS and TSP (turns out he calls TSP withdrawals an annuity)
Coworker 2: I don't trust the government to manage my money, so when I retire, I'm going to withdraw all of my TSP and invest it in CDs
Me: The entire balance will be taxed as income and you will be taxed as such.
Coworker 2: Oh.
Me: Also, if you're 100% G fund, then there's no better option, but you could roll things over to Vanguard if you're concerned about the government controlling the account.
Coworker 2: Who's Vanguard?

Coworker 1 is 5 years from retirement, #2 is 1 year away.

Needless to say, I'm not worried about either of them seeing this post. I'm just glad that at least for now Coworker 1 has gotten decent returns despite Coworker 2's advice and his own over-correction in the other direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU