Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I have been reviewing that Cornholio thread and now this it just literally makes me want to grab people by the shoulders and shake them while I scream "CARS!" in their face, over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Hoodwinker posted:

She should start a business called "Snake Box" and sell snake boxes and the only thing in the boxes is snakes.

"I DON'T KNOW WHAT I EXPECTED, BUT IT WASSSSSSSSSSN'T THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

We had somebody quit today because they were moving in a couple of months with their husband.

Why did they quit now instead of in a couple months when they move?

Because they have been here for 9 years and 10 months. You become vested in the pension plan at 10 years (50% of your average salary for your 3 highest earning years of service until death, starting at age 62 unless you do at least 20 years) and if you quit before you become vested you get your pension contributions back with no interest.

She took a payout of about $8,000 instead of the pension and even had the HR Office and Pension Office repeatedly try to tell her not to quit just for this reason.

If she lives to be 80, then she got that 8k in exchange for 270k over 18 years.

Holy Christ, it might just be because I'm drinking coffee on an empty stomach but this post made me shudderingly, physically ill.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Under the old plan, you are vested after 10 years and get full benefits after 15 (if you're older than 60) or 20. They did away with that plan, but she was grandfathered in. The new plan is much less generous, but still pretty good.

I just calculated her plan to check and she would have gotten about $9,100 per year starting at age 62.

She's been married to the same guy and I have no clue if he knew or not.

The present value of a $9,100 perpetuity beginning in 30 years assuming a discount rate of 3% in 2016 dollars is $125,000. :shepspends:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

My favorite twitch streamer is hopefully his hiding money away underneath his mattress, because the money can't keep coming, but for the meantime I think he's making healthy 6 figures.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Fun BWM at work. I have a coworker who seems pretty good at their job, sophisticated, very smart, bit of a mentor to a junior person like me and we were in the process of needing to get an ottoman and entertainment center for our new house so I asked a couple of coworkers, this individual included, for a place to get decent quality, affordable furniture (it turns out the answer is Vietnam by way of Amazon, if you're curious).

She told me that when they moved to this job this person made their partner cash out an entire 401k PLUS PENALTIES to buy a whole house of modern, design furniture and a "whole house style consultation." They have teenagers about to go to college, dogs (why nice furniture now?) and student loans. My jaw hit the floor.

Not quite like ($125k) of NPV burned because "you need your money now" but maybe? I don't know how much it cost, but I have to assume on the order of 30 or 40 thousand dollars, so potentially a lot more in future value, assuming they were reasonably invested.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You're in a super-highly compensated part of the universe, why the gently caress would your colleague just not be able to budget for that poo poo in advance.

I literally have no idea. It just gives you some insight that being a really high earner doesn't necessarily translate to being any good with money.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Not to dive into politics but if you didn't read his "sage financial advice" as a literal snake dressed up in a human suit hissing at you to come closer so that it could eat you, you need to have a little more critical of an eye toward statements made by your politicians.

I mean

The snake hissed, "We need to make sssmart invessstmentsss that hold value into the future. I always advissse cussstomerss coming onto my lotssssss to get a car that will hold its value. Don't ssssettle for a base model. Packagesss that include DVD Playerss and rear-view camerasss might seem like luxuriessss, but they will more than pay for themselves during ressssale in a few years when those featuresss become ssstandard and people will expect them. I tell people to think of the whole cost of the car and what it can do to work for you, even after you ssssell it. We need to get the sssstate running with that kind of foressssight and not just looking at the next budget or election cccycle."

the snake is campaigning on car equity!

gwm: using your political campaign to bolster your private business holdings

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 5, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Yet another opportunity for me to remind everyone to read the Strong Towns blog (https://www.strongtowns.org/) which spells out in painstaking detail (math!) why you shouldn't center your urban planning around making things as convenient as possible for motorists.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

He's got a high income and (except for a decent mortgage) not much debt.

But just lol at the idea that he needs to buy a lot because he'd rather have his kid and his friends play kickball there instead of his backyard.

And to try and justify it by saying that he doesn't have a lot of market exposure to real estate.

He could buy it and donate it as a park or wildlife preserve for significant tax benefits. Alternatively, without even buying it, he could lobby the city to buy it for the same purpose, but that takes considerably more effort.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Staryberry posted:

Hobby Horses don't seem that bad for money. The vet bills are really low, and it seems like good exercise if you don't mind looking like a total idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2IegXZ0NkM

YO these girls have this poo poo on lockdown! They are in all kinds of crazy publicity and it's like the same 8 Finnish girls and they're all friends with one another and I bet they secretly own stock in a hobbyhorse company or something just wait til it goes viral, poo poo's going to be SUPER good with money!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

My wife bought some LuLaRoe pants but they cute.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Yeah it was called "Random House" and they would just send - get this - a RANDOM book to your HOUSE

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Canada wouldn't normally have worldwide economic repercussions, except there's a whole lot of Chinese money that's going to disappear along with locals' equity.

It still won't have worldwide economic repercussions. The US spends more on healthcare every year than the entire GDPs of Australia and Canada combined.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Like there are 25 corporations with revenues higher than the Canadian Real Estate market. Who even cares about 200 billion $CAD anymore? (Only about 150B $USD).

Is it gonna gently caress poo poo up in Canada? Oh you better believe it, eh, but it's not the 10x leveraged mortgage backed accelerant that we were all getting high on in 2007.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yes, this is part of their standard "hit the pavement" strategy that also includes offering to do work for free until they see your value, asking about jobs when they aren't even hiring, and following up in-person after an interview.

Baby boomers! Soon they'll all be incapacitated and we'll be paying for their healthcare. It sure would be a shame if we just... didn't...

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

lampey posted:

Lululemon is an upscale athletic wear company owned by gap, like the banana republic of running clothes.

Lularoe is a pyramid scheme. It has all the common scams. Selling the product is a waste of time because it is overpriced. The success stories and testimonials are fake. It works by selling a starter set of 350 to 400 pieces of clothing for about $5000 with the idea that it will sell for $10000 or more based on the unrealistic notion that you can sell each legging for over 30. But most are sold for 20 or less. Very few people will even break even selling the clothes. But all of the incentives are to recruit more people to buy their own starter set. And now they are competing with you, and you can't return unsold merchandise. And now there are a lot of people who realized it is not worth their time and they are selling for less than it cost them, just to get back some of their money.

You're thinking of Athleta. Lululemon is a publicly traded Canadian company.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

According to Title 7 of the CRA of 1964, federally protected classes include race, color, religion, sex and national origin. Age and disability were specifically added by later individual statutes. Some states add language specifically relating to sexual orientation/gender status. You're also protected from discrimination on the basis of family responsibilities because of the equal pay amendment.

Unless you can make the case that your status is a protected class of the variety discussed above (I'm looking at you, poverty), it's not illegal for employers to discriminate against you. Felons, for instance, aren't a "protected class" from discrimination so long as you're not ALSO specifically discriminating by race (or some wonky state law prevents discrimination by felony status).

I can ask you how you got to the interview, and then when you tell me you don't have a car and have to take the bus every day, make the decision not to hire you on that basis. I can ask where you live and make the decision not to hire you on that basis, provided my decision can't be framed as being explicitly racist.

This bullshit about "can't ask about whether I live or have a car" has literally no basis in reality, and people are readily discriminated against for socioeconomic status every single day with zero legal ramifications.

Sex? National origin? You have a case, and a discrimination attorney will HAPPILY dive in.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

SpelledBackwards posted:

Whew, I was worried I couldn't ask candidates if they were alive or not. For our company, living is a vital quality for being able to perform the job duties as described.

All of this employment law also makes exceptions for "business necessity" which is why you can argue not hiring pregnant women into lead paint factories, for instance.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

ate all the Oreos posted:

Really because I'm pretty sure that's used to do exactly that all the time with zero repercussions since it's basically impossible to prove discrimination even when it happens directly let alone via sly loopholes.

Like it's not right and you probably shouldn't do it if you're at all a good person but it'd be super hard to prove if it went to court.

Employment discrimination law is actually really enthusiastic about siding with the individual filing a complaint, provided you can show discrimination on the basis of your protected class (there are rules that dictate that the burden of proof falls on employers to prove their practices aren't discriminatory, for instance). Which is so wild that stuff like discrimination based on gender still happens, because if anyone who didn't get a job were to file a complaint, the assessment (and the clear pattern of not interviewing female applicants and then hiring very few of those) would be incredibly difficult for the business to defend.

Again however, unless you're discriminating against a legally protected class, businesses are basically given carte blanche to hire employees however they see fit. If you can prove you don't hire anyone from poor neighborhoods (natives and immigrants alike, all races) you're free to do so. Doubly so if you can provide some hand-waving argument about how your business needs "the right kind of people."

I'm not saying this is fair or right, but it's how the law works.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

For posters playing along at home, soup for lunch chat is exactly what got us the last thread shut down! Abort! Abort!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Is Aldi too expensive for this discussion? They have good frozen fruit for pretty cheap.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Another amazing opportunity to post this sick reference about the ultimate GWM, a wine Ponzi scheme.

https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/wine-ponzi-scheme

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I found this link which is both celebrity gossip and good financial advice so I enjoyed reading it quite a bit.

http://www.moneycrashers.com/cheap-frugal-celebrities/

Contrasts delightfully with Master P, who went from being worth an estimated $600M to bankrupt.

http://theboombox.com/master-p-forced-into-bankruptcy-court-over-240-000/

Sorry Master P!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Master P was never actually broke and is currently battling with his ex wife over hundreds of millions of dollars in real estate and business assets. Not paying people you owe money and cycling yourself and various business entities though bankruptcy courts is a time honored strategy for extremely wealthy people to avoid honoring debts.

This is an incredible revelation. I hope he succeeds. Hundreds of millions of assets is the best kind of bankrupt.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

John Smith posted:

Real leaders can accept being led.

God I love your posts :allears:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

John Smith posted:

What is wrong with that statement? Real successful people should be able to function effectively as both employees and employers. If you can't even cut it when following orders, how can you cut it when you are running the show yourself?

I know it sounded facetious, but I meant it unironically.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

The Millionaire Next Door - one of the best personal finance books in my opinion, especially because it focuses in laser close on spending - makes a really compelling case that paying for the best school your kids can get into is a really great way of keeping your family wealthy over generations. Forcing your kids to "BOOTSTRAPS!" all over again because you're too cheap to save for their education seems to me to be a decidedly counterproductive way to ensure success for your children, your grandchildren and beyond.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Zo posted:

lol taking out a loan for university is now "bootstraps"? has the word lost all meaning now?

anyway im a fan of the hands off safety net style, for university at least (grade school is a different issue and the responsibility there is entirely ​with the parents obviously). and you're always there to catch them if they run into bad luck like medical issues or whatever.

NOT paying for a 529 if you have the money to do so is bad with money and selfish.

Here's why - you're taking after tax dollars at 2017 value and compounding them for however many years before bequeathing them to your progeny. If the market returns a fair price for your tolerance of risk, you'll earn the tax you paid on these dollars off and many more. Your child gets this money to attend a prestigious institution of higher learning - among the highest ROI activities a young person can undertake - without subjecting them to crippling amounts of debt which will compound at very similar rates of interest to the investment you made when they were tiny tots!

The money they'll have to use to pay off this debt is after tax dollars in 2037-2052 or whatever, and won't have been compounded by a 20 year bath in the market before being used (tax free!) to pay for education!

Like what part of this sounds like a good idea to you?

I understand if you're too poor to fund a 529 - it's not the top of anyone's list of "needs" for example. Food, water, shelter, I get it. But to treat it as optional if you're going to have children and want them to do well is insanely backwards to me.

Real meaningful wealth probably includes the ability to pay for your kids to have a better chance at success than you did, and that includes the halls of the Ivy League.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 1, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

edit: you know what this is a derail I don't think we need to be having. I think not funding a 529 if you can afford it is bad with money, and we don't really need to bicker about it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 1, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Jesus I had no idea NZ was drowning under that much real estate debt. Did they not have a correction 8 years ago along with the rest of the world?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I'd say the road less traveled isn't the one that leads directly into financial ruin there, Reddit poster!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Cars are deeply bad with money and anything a person can do to avoid the treadmill of replacing a car before it becomes more expensive to repair than replace is good with money.

This includes lying, cheating and stealing.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

My goodness what an awful lot of posts in the bad with money thread, I wonder if somebody did something especially bad wi-

Oh.

Oh no.

We're gonna need a bigger bird.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Heads up $30,000 in Bitcoin 5 years ago would have seen a 10-25 fold return on your money to between $300,000 and $750,000.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

This it the part where that cretin comes in and creeps through all your recent posts to tell us about the kind of car you bought for your wife, so be careful posting about cars!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

So Father's Day is coming up, and we need to get gifts for several men in our lives. I suggested to my wife that we dispense with the "try to guess what they want" bullshit and give cash, because receiving cash they have license to get a thing they wanted but we couldn't select. Everyone in our family thinks they're really good at selecting and giving gifts, and they're not - they're terrible and we accumulate crap like nobody's business.

She says it's insensitive, that people would be offended, etc. etc. etc.

Good with money or bad with money?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Bingo Leon that's the cite I was hoping for - I guess it's much harder for older men though, who might attach more sentiment to a gift they receive from us. Maybe a mixture of 2 sentimental things - a photograph in the card, some food - and then cash or a giftcard as the economic substance of the gift.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Imagine ~300 people eating a plated meal on tables with linens under a rented tent at a place which is a physically desirable location for some reason or other. There is an open bar serving alcohol for several hours. A band and dance floor are present and the sound/lighting are rented as well as the required bathroom trailers. There are numerous flowers. One individual in particular is wearing a very expensive dress which may cost between $2-10k or so. That's a $100,000 wedding.

I see this as more of a $50,000 wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

It must be so, so much money for this even to be a question.

If it was $100 or even $1000 do you think he'd have any hesitation about it?