Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Horsehair is a pretty commonly utilized material for the super premium segment of mattresses. A Swedish company, Hastens, is widely considered to make the finest innerspring mattress purchasable on the market.

https://www.hastens.com/us/beds/vividus

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-02/hastens-vividus-mattress-review-price

this is a $150k mattress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

The fines for an EMTALA violation are astronomical, and it's corporate malfeasance levels of BWM to think about playing around with that hand grenade. If someone comes in to the ER, you treat them and street them, bill them for 10x what you'd get reimbursed from Medicare, let them negotiate or bankrupt out of it and treat the bad debt as a tax write-down assuming you're a hospital that even pays taxes.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I like when people try to explain to me what they do and don't like about government intervention in healthcare.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

To be perfectly honest, that seems like it would be an incredible amount of fun, and that picture is absolutely incredible. Hope you had a good time.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I've always found the whole wedding princess trope a little weird, but I feel like a lot of people really go for that.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Dillbag posted:

Wasn't sure whether to post this in this thread or the schadenfreude thread...

https://twitter.com/StockTwits/status/877621142734778368

Coinbase has, hilariously, taken their whole ETH exchange offline.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

BarbarianElephant posted:

You need to talk to him about taking control of his finances. He's at grave risk of losing the money he needs for his care as dementia develops.

Came to echo this. In the United States this is known as a durable power of attorney and his financial arrangements need to know that he is becoming senile (condolences) and he can't be allowed to conduct business as usual himself.

Honestly, I would probably take this opportunity to move him into a financial vehicle like a guaranteed annuity or something, because while this kind of instrument has lower returns, it is basically idiot-proof to operate and just means guaranteed money in the mail every month and it will be a lot less complicated in the shadow of the rising specter of dementia.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Ashcans posted:

I wasn't really paying too much attention to this because lol, cryptocurrency:

So basically, someone got enough of a stake that it crashed the whole thing when they sold. What are the chances that was their intention, and they immediately turned around and re-bought at the bottom, so they now have a pile of money and enough stake in ether to repeat the same trick again?

I hope they mean an actual, Hollywood actor because :lol: that's how my brain read it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Man, I hope so. I hope so with every fiber of my being. I also hope they wired all the funds immediately to another account so they can't claw it back.

I don't think there will be any clawing back. These exchanges are live fire asset transaction platforms, there aren't training wheels.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Brides-neiiiighed?

Bridles-neiiighed?

I'll see myself out.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Nail Rat posted:

I think I'll die in a Mad Max style wasteland brought on by climate change.

Mad Maxine if the leftists get their way.

EDIT FOR CONTENT The Moneyologist on MarketWatch always has some good ones

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/my-father-took-out-a-100000-loan-to-buy-my-sister-a-vacation-home-2016-08-05

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 27, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

BarbarianElephant posted:

No they didn't. They lived to about 60. We live until our 80s or 90s.

Here's a cite:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2625386/

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Here's another cite showing increased life expectancy at age 65 just within the last 100 years courtesy of the US Federal Government

Figure 2a and 2b
https://www.ssa.gov/oact/NOTES/as120/LifeTables_Body.html

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 27, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/NOTES/as120/images/LD_fig3b.html

These data show that life expectancy at age 65 has increased 5 years for women and 7 years for men just in this last century.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My two coworkers are talking about taking their kids to the doctor. One of them is trying to convince the other one to take their 3-year old to a chiropractor. She says it has done wonders for her kid's sleeping and performance on schoolwork (???).

The other one seems skeptical and is trying not to diss the choice, but is finding different reasons why she is reluctant to to take her own kids there.

The pro-chiropractor for toddlers co-worker complained that our insurance doesn't cover her guy and that it costs about $450 per visit.

The skeptical one has jumped on that and started going "Man, sounds great, but I don't know that we can afford that. That is bullshit that our insurance won't pay for a doctor. Oh well."

Other co-worker responds, "Well, yeah. If insurance paid for it, then he would put the rest of the medical industry out of business. Also, you get what you pay for, ya know? I value my kid's health and I don't want to cheap out on it. He wouldn't be able to charge that much if it didn't work."

I just looked into this recently because I was involved in an internet slap-fight but it turns out some insurance (including medicare) DOES cover chiropractic for evidence based interventions (chiefly low back spinal manipulations for chronic lower back pain). Weirdly, they do not cover any interventions for chiropractors to treat ADD?

I can't fathom why that would be?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

This may or may not be a legitimate thing, but it still sounds funny to me.

My boss has joined the conversation about medical care for your kids and says that she had to go out of network to go to a doctor that specializes in "Pediatric Sports Medicine" to get her daughter's ankle looked after she bruised it during tumbling practice.

This is, in fact, a legitimate thing

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Someone at work got in trouble for using the "ALL" email address to send this out to several hundred people.

I have never met this guy before.

He's just looking out (for the bigger fool)!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Barry posted:

Hook it straight in my loving veins

Leon Trotsky has the purest loving BWM smack, man.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I mean I get that the uncertainty would be pretty obnoxious for them, but talk about your unbelivable windfalls. Just save the balance somewhere generating (even modest) interest and keep your loving mouth shut.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Generously cross-posted from the Footballers Gone Feral thread

quote:

Sportswear tycoon Mike Ashley once hosted a management meeting in a pub where he drank 12 pints and vomited into a fireplace, a court has heard.

The Newcastle United owner is being sued by finance expert Jeffrey Blue at London's High Court.
He claims Mr Ashley often held meetings in pubs, and at one time promised to pay him £15m if he managed to increase Sports Direct's share price to £8.
He said the billionaire only paid him £1m. Mr Ashley disputes the claim.
Mr Justice Leggatt was told the dispute between Mr Blue and Mr Ashley related to an alleged conversation in a London pub called the Horse & Groom in 2013.
Jeffrey Chapman QC, who is leading Mr Blue's legal team, told the judge Mr Ashley's business practices flew in the face of "business orthodoxy".
'Pub lock-in'
Mr Blue said he had attended several senior management meetings at another pub, the Green Dragon in Alfreton, Derbyshire.
He said: "These meetings were like no other senior management meeting I had ever attended in all my years of investment banking experience."

Describing it as a "pub lock-in" where fish and chips and kebabs would be brought in after closing time, he said: "On one such evening, in front of his senior management team,
Mr Ashley challenged a young Polish analyst in my team, Pawel Pawlowski, to a drinking competition.
"Mr Ashley and Pawel would drink pints of lager, with vodka 'chasers' between each pint, and the first to leave the bar area for whatever reason was declared the loser.
"After approximately 12 pints and chasers Pawel apologised profusely and had to excuse himself.
"Mr Ashley then vomited into the fireplace located in the centre of the bar, to huge applause from his senior management team."

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

All of this stuff - decades of it. Holy poo poo.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

So I was on vacation last week and this thread got LITTTT!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I lost my Mom young and received a pretty sizable inheritance as a result. There isn't a day that goes by that I wouldn't exchange all that money and more for even one more hour of time with her. The poster who stayed "neutral" sounds like a selfish loving rear end in a top hat and I wish he could inherit cancer instead of nothing as a consequence of the way he treated his Mom.

Just because your parents get divorced doesn't mean you can't love both deeply and sympathize with the complicated way in which they relate to one another.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Hoodwinker posted:

Being beautiful and fit is GWM.

Unless you didn't start that way and had to work for it, then it's only NWM (neutral) because it takes a lot of time, work and money but probably pays off.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Krispy Kareem posted:

All of this sucks, but why didn't she apply for disability already if she's been unable to work for 2 years and 100% dependent on her boyfriend? Starting now is going to take forever if she's really disabled.

On a scale of "capable of working but choosing not to" to "quadriplegia with traumatic brain injury" how disabled do you think this individual probably is?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

potatoducks posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. Just because TB is on probation doesn't mean you can say racist things like that.

More ablest than racist. I need to get my buddy John Smith in here to back me up.

And because TB is gone, I can post graphical data showing that since the great recession, more and more Americans are considering themselves "disabled" and electing not to participate in the labor force.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LNU05074597

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It's weird how all the claims that people are hanging out on disability instead of getting iobs by choice turn out to be total bullshit

No no no, you've missed the key distinction here that actually proves the point. Exiting from the labor force and reporting ones self disabled doesn't automatically come with any benefits. Applications are stable to down but terminations are consistently (except one year) below approved applications, hence the number of people in current status actually has grown.

The burden of people on benefits for proven disability has increased. Further increased are those self-reporting as disabled WITHOUT government benefits. In total, the chart you see from FRED is correct.

You can also see the mirror image of this with labor force participation rate, which has dwindled dramatically.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

We've looked serially into laundry-bot and for whatever reason the tech just isn't there yet. That (and robo chef?) are going to be in EVERY home of means, though.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

That's a nice lookin piece of apparel, honestly.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Good Parmesan posted:

Friend's girlfriend has no savings, has student loans, is currently attending nursing school, and owns a perfectly fine working car.

Today she asked if she should lease the 2017 Civic EX for $260 a month or $195 for LX and my friend responded "get cheaper, you have no savings."

He goes to the the bathroom and she signed the EX because it has a sunroof, nice wheels, and side cameras.

Besides the fact that she has a working car.. or that a used car wasn't one of the options.

Most nurses I know are crazy loving bad with money. They have these reasonably high salaries with good job protection but I know so many of them that came from poorer backgrounds who now spend every dollar like they're "boss bitches" on tacky loving shoes, bags and cars.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

GamingHyena posted:

It might have something to do with the $280 they spend on weed every month.

Christ, they spend over $600/mo on weed and cigarettes. HOW COULD WE POSSIBLY GET OUT OF THIS FINANCIAL HOLE?

Buy fewer candles.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My sister in law works a good job high all the time. They would care, but they can't tell you're high if they never see you sober.

They should teach this in schools.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

She does them with charred sticks and "natural" inks.

That's what #StickandPoke means.

Edit: The stick has some kind of tiny metal needle attached to the end. It's not 100% wood.

Listen Leon, go ahead and be straight with us, how the gently caress do you know so many people who are so, SO bad with money?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Hello everyone don't worry we've safely arrived at peak capitalism - where the gig economy meets the cartoonishly rich:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ofc/6256376954.html

Literally "we need a wageslave who will pretend to be our friend."

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I suspect they will get approximately one hundred million billion applications for this job offering up to $70k plus overtime

I don't know that they'll be getting sufficient qualified applicants, though, this job basically asks for someone with the qualifications of a personal chef, a maid, an executive assistant and an animal trainer all in one.

edit: in the interest of full disclosure I did apply for this position with the caveat that my fee would be $500 an hour.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Ashcans posted:

A high-class butler doesn't walk your dog and clean up vomit, he tells the hall boy and the the scullery maid to do that. Your butler only handles housekeeping if you are a shiftless bachelor like Wooster or an eccentric misanthrope like Bruce Wayne and can't keep a proper staff on.

Imagine the audacity of these petit bourgeois to think they can roll up all of the duties of a literal household of servants into one job for $15 an hour for 40 hours a week. I bet if there was a baby in the mix (I guess here played by "Doggo") they'd want that taken care of too.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I can almost taste these modern day success stories drafting this "genius plan" among a constellation of overpriced furniture in a modest, messy living space while sipping Napa wine and smiling like, "we've got it figured out, we're just smarter than everyone! Gig economy!"

I hope their company craters harder than Theranos.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

The red flag for me was dose for does.

Like literally just wanna drown this woman.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

That bitcoin wallet find is exhilarating. Holding a speculative position with funny money that goes 4x is fun enough, but can you imagine if your position went from "a used car" to "2.5x 'gently caress-you' money" at age 35? Plus it's been long enough that his tax rate on this sale is going to be LTCG, it's like a 25% bonus versus if he'd won this same amount in a lottery ticket.

I wonder if he's going to liquidate the whole position (I wouldn't) or just diversify it down so that his BTC is only 10% of his remaining net worth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

My crypto holdings are approximately 1% of my net worth, varying depending on the market price.

I think it should be a much higher percentage of this guy's portfolio, and I'll justify why: this guy has more money than he ever had any idea he would have, and has been living a presumably frugal existence devoid of the untold riches that this could bring his way. Bitcoin is still a speculative asset with enormous variability of what it's probably worth. I don't think anyone really knows what this asset is worth (lol buttcoin), and I definitely think he should liquidate enough that he'll never have to worry about money again (90% of his position would do quite nicely). But given that he's young and probably has some appetite for risk, I don't think it's an entirely stupid idea to hold on to 10% of that position for the possibility that a bitcoin is worth $10,000 or $20,000 or $100,000 or $1,000,000.

It's an asset that's treated him quite richly so far, and he's shown his ability to hold onto it and forget about it while playing a long, long position.

If I had a net worth 5 times what we have now, I might have crypto as 10% of my portfolio instead of 1%, but I think it's a foolish decision not to hold some.