Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
On that note, let me post three of the four best BWM-related SA threads of all time.

4. Scammed by dealership, and I'm taking it to the news, wherein a dumbass teenager hotfoots it to his local Nissan dealership and signs a contract he neither read nor understands and that he trusted the dealer to explain to him.

3. Decreasing credit lines, increasing interest rates, and bankruptcy., wherein a dumbass alcoholic college student explains why bankruptcy is the most appropriate course of action and why won't you mean goons stop telling me I'm a drunk?

2. YEAR, n. A period of three hundred and sixty-five disappointments (zaurg's first thread). Seriously, you have to just spend a weekend reading through it.

1. The Zaurg story: you really are revolting (zaurg's second thread). It was such a "goon in a well" scenario come to life that the mods took pity on the readership and gassed it. If you don't hate humanity enough after reading his first thread, read this one over another weekend. Make sure to put all weapons out of reach beforehand. Those with high blood pressure should not read this thread.

Honourable mention: The Cornholio Thraed, wherein a BWM goon sees the light and makes a full conversion to GWM status and forum legend.

edit: Thanks to Scudworth for linking me to the missing zaurg threads. Also, I didn't put Slow Motion in here because I bailed out of reading that one after 10 pages or so and TBH have no idea what went down.

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

baquerd posted:

Bitcoins are actually looking solid lately, no major scams, price is skyrocketing, and the marketplaces are well equipped with supply and demand. Only thing that would really tank bitcoin is a mass legalization of drugs or some sort of crypto breakthrough.

Source your quotes, please

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Doc Hawkins posted:

I assume they don't hire too many women at Nice Young Men Incorporated.

:thejoke:?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

ate all the Oreos posted:

I looked it up and it's specifically the gas released when teflon is heated above 300C / 572F, which is also toxic enough to humans as to cause flu-like symptoms, but birds' respiratory systems absorb stuff from the air much more readily and so wind up dead from something that would just make a human kinda sick. Truly the horses of the sky.

You take that back, you filthy bastard! :argh:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Yeah it's not wedding horse chat, so I think it's acceptable anyway.

Wait, debating the rules is a derail...I've become what I've always hated. BIRD ME!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Krispy Kareem posted:

Robots are Japan's answer, so we'll see how they manage it and adopt the good 'non-killing grandma' parts for our own old people.

Robots are just as wildly suited to the task and successful here as they are in any other country, which is to stay, thy aren't. Cool Japan loves to push the idea of hyperroboticisation taking place here, but it's simply a mix of "keep those sweet tourist dollars/attention marbles coming in" and "give us a springboard for the real purpose of robot development, which is selling them to factories and stuff".

Japan's actual answer is "continue to exploit young people by preventing them from getting full employment and forcing them into working both a job at the convenience store and a job at the old folks' home and never, never, never considering an increase in the number of migrants we let in to the country permanently".

Speaking of that and BWM (and also horribly creepy), for only $2700 you can now get your very own anime hologram waifu to pretend your single salaryman life isn't crushingly void and empty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkcKaNqfykg

Japan will have a birth rate of 0 by 2025, calling it now

Please stop it with the "wacky Japan" stories. Hey i heard you can go to shooting ranges in the US and fire machine guns at a photo target of your choice, how bout that incredibly violent and murderous everyday society over there amirite?"

Also Japan already has a net birth rate of less than zero, but they are scared to death of using immigration to bolster the numbers because a long list of worthless stereotypes they hold about filthy foreigners.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Eh you know what I'm kinda being too much of an rear end about this, sorry Weatherman I'll shut up :shobon:

Nah we're all good :hfive: I wasn't posting at you specifically, I meant other (almost always western) countries in general ought to stop. Sorry, I should have written it better.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Why is it every American child's dream to "be a CEO" these days? Why is every manchild working out of Starbucks or their friend's bedroom a "chief something or other"?

I would have thought a more concrete dream like "own my own _____ company" or "create the world's best ______" would be the sort of thing people aim for, instead of a meaningless title. Do people dream of being middle managers as well?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

monster on a stick posted:

Yes this guy is shilling a stock on the pink sheets to his friends and family.

He's shilling the stock in that advertisement "request for advice" itself. No one would include that level of detail in a genuine question.

edit: ahahahaha he's spamming it all over Reddit like he's really, really concerned you guys

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 23, 2017

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

They don't want to be extorted for film of their event and they don't want the owner to profit off its sale, either.

lol

won't someone think of the poor multi-billion dollar corporation?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Heads up $30,000 in Bitcoin 5 years ago would have seen a 10-25 fold return on your money to between $300,000 and $750,000.

Heads up you would have lost it all already through "hacks", exchanges being "hacked" or simply shutting down and disappearing, or having your bank account frozen for suspected money laundering.

If the point of your post was "lol you laughed at me but now I could be a millionaire", then there's a thread in yospos that you should go and educate :allears:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
The guillotine will be mounted on a drone so that the moment your salary for the year passes $100k, one is dispatched to dispatch you.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Solice Kirsk posted:

Like if there was ever a cryptocurrency ETF or something I could justify buying into it for a gamble.

ftfy

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Welp you were right: he melted down.

Edit: hello whole other page I missed

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
They said without it looking juvenile

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

theHUNGERian posted:

What if the service provided is the removal of organs? Is that procedure free?

No, in that case excess organs get stuffed inside you to save on the proper disposal procedures.

I'm not sure those are the only two possible options, or even that "having tremendous wealth" is done for a valid point at all, at least when it gets beyond surviving and living comfortably

No I'm sorry he's right: it's either "piss your wealth into the wind" or "starve in a gutter". There is no middle ground. Beep boop ker-chunk

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

curufinor posted:

firecalc is mc method
i always wondered if there's a great parametric dealio for this poo poo
poo poo online I've seen is a lotta linear regressions and somehow-less-sophisticated-things

what

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

curufinor posted:

monte carlo method. it's like human centipede, for your data. and less poo poo. but nonparametrics req lots of data and the prediction is worse sometimes, if you have a coherent theory of the phenomenon that you can stuff into a parametric statistical model

e: ok, bootstrap is deffo more "human centipede for your data", but you get what i'm talking about

if you have background in this poo poo i guess

I meant "what" as in "were you drunk or high when you typed this"

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Guest2553 posted:

Leon's stories are like raw fentanyl straight to the urethra

:stonk:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Krispy Kareem posted:

When I was in banking we justified reordering because the largest check is almost always the most important (rent, car payment) and therefore the one you can least afford to bounce.

That is some lovely, lovely logic that is nothing but a weaselly excuse to gently caress your customers. The only objective way to order the transactions is in the exact sequence that they were received. And I don't mean "lol our system just happens to receive big transactions first heh heh". Those loving banks can measure microseconds when they want to charge interest—they can well handle marking time stamps from POS terminals.

tl;dr: gently caress that noise and gently caress banks

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
NEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDSSSSS

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

http://i.imgur.com/g68X651.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/f8bq31k.gifv

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Put him on ignore already.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Weatherman posted:

Put him on ignore already.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I've been meaning to pick that up once I finish picking up and reading Goodnight Punpun

Pupkin's back?!?!?!?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
More like a tiny puff of smoke and a damp fart sound

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
There's lots of hand waving and justifications possible for why your country likes to gently caress its young people financially so much, but it's really all irrelevant blathering when faced with "well Australia manages to do it so why can't you?"

Edit: inb4 all the usual excuses why the country that sent humans to the moon and possesses weapons of mass destruction somehow can't do the same kind of thing

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

potatoducks posted:

What's so great about Australia? Don't they basically just do IBR?

University fees are loaned by the government and the government alone; the money goes directly from the govt to the university, so it can't be used for other purposes; you can get a discount for paying over a certain amount (in my day, $500) back at a time; otherwise repayment begins when your income reaches a certain threshold (I think about $50,000 p.a. now) and is withheld by your employer; the accrued debt is indexed to the consumer price index, but not charged interest.

Basically a fair system that takes its users' (institutions and students) needs into account and doesn't screw people over. At the same time though, it doesn't give the Free Market™ a felch and a reach-around at the same time, so I can see why certain countries wouldn't like it.

I Like Jell-O posted:

If you think university should be paid for by the government, that's fine, but it really doesn't have anything to do with bankruptcy laws. The United States has probably the most generous, most consumer friendly bankruptcy system in the world. It's a really good thing. Can you name any country where student loan debt is easily dischargeable in bankruptcy?

I didn't say uni should be paid for by the government, either in my initial post or above. Also "Can you name any country where student loan debt is easily dischargeable in bankruptcy?" is a massive miss of the point—why the gently caress should student loans be coming from the private (profit-seeking) sector and non-dischargeable in bankruptcy to start with?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Hmm it's almost like that's not the only other choice!

- The tuition fees are loaned by the government
- Students start paying them back in proportion to their income after they have secured a job with a decent enough income
- The public gets its money back
- No one goes bankrupt because no one is forced into bankruptcy!

Again, there's no fellation of the Free Market (pbuh) but omelette, breaking eggs, etc.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

What if they never secure a job with a decent income? What if the proportion of income they can pay based on their income isn't enough to cover interest or results in a payback period that effectively leads into retirement?

What if. What if I'm taking a shower and I slip on a bar of soap? *gasp* I'd be killed!

You keep defending the system that is proven to be actually loving people up for life, VC mogul Subjunctive. If that works for you, great. I'll take the inferior method that educates people and launches them into adulthood without hanging millstones around their necks oh and also still hasn't bankrupted the entire country for some reason.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

:goonsay:

Let's quote you again:

So you are saying that people only pay back loans if they make a decent enough income. Which isn't guaranteed to be everyone, this thread is full of stories of college graduates who have lovely jobs and can barely afford to pay if they can pay at all. Then you say:

Which doesn't happen if the graduates don't make enough money. Unless you are thinking that "proportion of their income" is something like 50% because those graduates should just buck up and live in their cars and eat dry ramen.

I'm sorry to point out that your plan has a gaping hole in it, maybe next time propose a plan that doesn't have gaping holes in it.

Perhaps you should contact The Hon. Malcolm Turnbull and let him know that the system his country has been running just fine for 30-odd years is broken and has gaping holes and should be replaced post-haste.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Seriously this. Or at least jail time in regular old prison, not white collar prison.

There are no consequences for failure for either the banks (as a corporate entity) or the people who run them. Oh I made $4 million a year as CEO for the last five years and I get a $40 million severance if I leave for any reason up to and exceeding "ran the place into the loving ground"? Boo hoo hoo, whatever will I do with the rest of my life and my golden yachts.

Put some actualy consequences into white-collar crime and we might start making progress as a society again. They gently caress people up over minor drug possession or "stole a hundred dollars from a store", but leech a million times that from society as a whole and you get on the Who's Who list.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
In that case, :thermidor:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Craptacular posted:

BWM: lose your private street due to an unpaid tax bill
GWM: buy that street in an auction

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Rich-SF-residents-get-a-shock-Someone-bought-11738236.php

Ohhhhhh yeah run that stuff right into my veins. I don't think I've felt purer schadenfreude in the last six months.

I can't decide which I'd like more to happen: The couple starts charging a decent rate for on-street parking (say, $400-500 a month—pathetic little tramp, why wait six months to recoup the investment? ;)), or they open up on-street parking to the *lips curl back* common people outside the gates.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Devian666 posted:

Someone needs to cover the costs of wear and tear on that private road. $1k per week for road access for each of the existing residents seems fair and market rate.

brugroffil posted:

A toll booth at the entrance would be pretty great

Stop please I can only get so hard

Weatherman fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Tipps posted:

Lol if you don't just buy 20$ rings on Amazon and spend the rest of the money you would otherwise spend on a blood diamond on a nice honeymoon or a loving car or a kitchen remodel or literally anything else that is actually useful.

:can: