Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/68swpl/just_leased_a_cpo_15_lexus_gs350_two_months_ago/

quote:

So when me and my ex split I had to trade in her car which I co-signed on. Negative equity was like 9k.. and I didn't have the cash available (tax season) so I traded my paid off '14 Charger as well to absorb the hit.

I don't know why but I leased a CPO '15 Lexus. I drove all the cars on the lot and wasn't in love with any. I was there for almost 7 hours after work. I enjoyed the idea of driving a luxury car because of my occupation where it fits the "image" but hated how the Lexus felt. Anyways, I pay 460/mo for 36 months on this Lexus.

I want out of it. It's a nice car, but I miss my HEMI in my Charger. I miss the head space.. I miss the way it felt driving it. This Lexus feels just.. not right? I drive 20 miles to work every day and all around town and haven't gotten use to it. When I first drove my Charger it fit like a glove.

I have enough income and above avg. credit to finance a new '17 Charger. Only downside is I'll roll approx. 12k negative equity from my Lexus into the note. So instead of financing a 51k it'll be around 61k. I can afford the payment, which is close to 1k/mo.

My question is this.. lets say I do trade in my lease and roll the negative equity into a new finance.. does it make sense to buy a less expensive car (lets say the R/T instead for around 35k) or should I get a more expensive car (SRT) because it will depreciate less quickly and hold its value longer (but I'm paying for it)

I would rather pay more for what I want than pay less for what I hate, especially if I can afford it. Just want to some input or advice based on past experience?

Dumbass impulsively leases an expensive Lexus that he doesn't like and now his grand plan to get out of it is to roll it into a $61k @ 7% loan on a Charger, for which he'll be paying ~$1200/month. Cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
File under Almost BWM:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/69zcti/craigslist_subletting_scam_alert/

quote:

Hello r/personalfinance,

I would like to share with you a scam that my roommate almost got himself into, until I talked him out of it and read the email exchange. My roommate is planning on subletting his apartment for the summer, and posted an ad on Craigslist. He got a response the same day from a "girl" from Switzerland. The girl asked him to immediately remove the listing so that he was committed to the deal. She told him she was willing to pay any price, and move in/out on any day. The only caveat, however, was that she would have her boss send him a check for more than the amount for rent and utilities for the entire summer, and then he would send back the remainder. On top of this, she needed the remaining money so she could book her flight over here. This meant he would need to send the money back soon, before he could really check to see if the check clears. She also told him to take as much as he needed, with no real set price, and this was before seeing any pictures of the apartment.

He thought this sounded totally reasonable, and was about to do it, before I warned him not to and to look into it some more. I knew from reading on this subreddit, that many scams involve sending a check to a person, then having the person send money back before the check completely clears, so thank you r/personalfinance! I am almost positive this is a scam, and wanted to thank you guys, and watch out for this kind of scam for yourselves!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Why can't we have nice things? Why can't you jackasses go to D&D or wherever the gently caress?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Oh I'm sorry I thought if I ever failed, even once, to stand up against discrimination that makes discrimination 100% okay? Goon logic says anything that happens to you that you don't fight back about is fine, right?

Fight the good fight, just do it elsewhere. Post BWM here.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6adxgx/approved_for_20k_line_of_credit_take_15k_and_put/

quote:

I got approved for a $20,000 line of credit that carries 3.85% interest. I'm planning on throwing $15,000 into TDB422 as I have been monitoring fund TDB422 for the past 2 years and feel comfortable investing in that fund for the long term (5-10 years). This leaves me with $5,000 to pay for the interest should this plan fail. Interest in the first year would total $588.73, which would be peanuts to the growth this money can see.

I am comfortable with the risk level, and I know that the fund will increase way past the 3.85% interest rate. I'm planning on using quest trade for this, and may be looking at taking out a small portion for my own personal interests.
Are there any flaws in my plan? Please let me know.

I can't find any flaws in your plan, Nostradamus.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Paper Tiger posted:

Marshawn Lynch has reportedly not spent any of his NFL salary, instead living off of his endorsement money and business investments. Meaning, he has at least $50 million saved up, not considering he's coming back next season with the Oakland Raiders.

Marshawn :unsmith:

Same deal with Rob Gronkowski:

quote:

“To this day, I still haven’t touched one dime of my signing bonus or NFL contract money. I live off my marketing money and haven’t blown it on any big-money expensive cars, expensive jewelry or tattoos and still wear my favorite pair of jeans from high school… I don’t hurt anyone.”

But this is the BWM thread, so go read about Lenny Dykstra instead.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

April posted:

I posted on FB about stomach problems I've been having, and the fact that I was pissed that the endoscopy I had didn't show anything (I wanted it FIXED dammit) and an online friend I've had for a good decade responded with the following. I have always liked & respected this person, she seemed really level-headed, and actually very smart with managing her money/debt, etc. I honestly didn't realize this particular scam was still making the rounds.....

Holy poo poo, it's 2017 and there are still Mangosteen people out there. What a world we live in.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I think we've done a pretty good job of establishing that even if you can comfortably afford said BWM, nonsense like essential oils for your lame horses is still implicitly BWM.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
We should probably just move this thread to D&D and be done with it. Why can't we just post hilarious BWM schadenfreude to laugh at?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6em3h0/i_make_great_money_but_i_am_broke/

quote:

I am married with four kids and my wife stays at home. Despite making really good money, we find a way to spend more than we make each month. Does anyone have any suggestions for staying on a budget or managing money with a big family? I feel like we could not save a dollar if we tried. I should not feel this broke!

Later in the thread:

quote:

9200 take home (after 8% 401k + 3% ESOP)
2800 mortgage
500 car
170 HOA
150 Gas for house
150 electric
175 cable
275 cell phone (4 lines, 1 phone payment)
80 water
100 lawn service (April - Oct)
1500 groceries
1000 eating out
300 gas for cars
60 dry clean
250 gym
60 gymnastics
The rest goes to some combination of kids activities, home or auto repairs, gifts, clothes, medical expenses. Usually to the tune of 1000 over take home. We do not really travel much.
I do realize that the food is a major expense. We have kids activities everynight of the week which makes it hard to eat at home or sometimes even get to the store. Would definitely appreciate advice on how to reduce some of these categories.

$2500 on food per month with a stay at home parent, lol

Paying for lawn service when you have 4 children, lol

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

John Smith posted:

Fair point on the Corporate thread. I have already acknowledged that my initial response was way too aggressive.

But I disagree for this thread. We are discussing basic college material here. People should know their poo poo before mouthing off online.

Your entire post history in this thread is low rent D&D poo poo. Maybe post BWM content or post elsewhere?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
There's a sucker born every minute.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6feap6/was_recently_scammed_and_i_am_curious_as_to_what/

quote:

Hi PF! I did something kinda dumb a few days ago. I responded to an online job interview, and they proceeded to hire me. They then sent me a check for $1,850 and told me it was for equipment for my home office. They said it would be explained to me on the following day, just deposit the check into my account. So I did. The next day comes, and they tell me to withdraw the cash and take it to a Walmart for a Walmart2Walmart transfer. My "boss" gave me the contact info of someone to send the money to, telling me that I am sending it to a vendor and that the vendor will buy the equipment and send it to me. I honestly should have picked up on this earlier but I didn't. So, an hour after I try to make the transfer Walmart calls me and says the money is on hold because the situation seemed similar to a lot of scams going on and they explained everything to me. I asked them what I should do with the money, they said it's up to my bank. I called my bank and no one was able to give me a straight answer. The money is still at Walmart and I have 10 days from when I initially brought it to pick it up. PF, what do I do?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Slightly different type of BWM.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6fcp4e/financial_transition_where_to_invest_only_asset/

quote:

A family of 3, dad was an uber driver but stopped working due to health problems. I'm in college younger one in school. Recently sold our house, after expense/debt payments, we're left with 200k in cash.

Hello r/personalfinance, I'm asking for your help in making a well thought out investment plan that will at the very least yield an annual/monthly income of 18% / 3k. With my dads narrowed experiences he was thinking along the lines of buying another house and renting, then jumped over to buying nyc cab medallions instead and leasing cabs. I'm worried he'll just burn through it all and render us homeless. Dad can work but not to his full potential because of heat condition. Do you have any other ideas on how to invest these little 200k to generate ~3k monthly ?

Thank you!

Good luck with that.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My friend and her boyfriend (of less than 2 years) decided to buy a house together.

They put an offer in and got a house for $382,000. There was about 6 weeks between this and the actual closing on the house. During this period, they broke up because the boyfriend's ex had recently become single and she was the girl of his dreams. The ex indicated that she was sad that they hadn't worked out and wished they could have given it another shot. My friend's boyfriend dumped her to pursue his true love.

They would have lost about 11k if they decided to walk away from the house.

Instead, they are buying the house and moving in together after breaking up.

Neither of them can afford to pay their half of the mortgage and rent on their own and neither of them want to sell because "it's an up-and-coming neighborhood" and they'd be losing a lot of money.

They are going to "figure out the rules as we go along" and so far the only rule is that the new girlfriend (former ex) isn't allowed to move in. But I am expecting that to happen soon.

This is why I keep coming back to this thread. Please post updates.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Remember when we started this new thread, all young and full of life, with the expectation that it would be a BWM only posting utopia? Moderation would be judicious, people wouldn't be dumbasses, life would be good. I miss those days.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6ftcgb/36_on_my_own_finally_not_sure_how_to_fix_my_own/

quote:

Pretty sure the only solution to my problem is: "go find a second job and work two until everything is paid off and you have savings" but I'm going to ask anyway. I want to eventually stop renting, and have money to save for emergencies and retirement. AT this point I don't see it happening ever.

So firstly, I want to say that I've checked the "35-45?" on the sidebar, and none of that applies to me so I don't know where to look for advice. From the age of 21 up until last year, I was with my ex who had control of our finances. I was not allowed to touch them, but was given about $250 a month to pay for clothes, games, and the like, so I'm literally doing this for the first time since then, which is why the sidebar doesn't apply to me. I have no real estate, about $5000 in my retirement, and no idea what to do going forward. Before that, I lived with my mother and worked part time. This is the first time I've been on my own (pathetic, yes I know).

Income: $2020 a month (There is no advancement for my job, I'd have to get a degree to find another job and I can't do that)

Rent: $900 (850+ 30 cat + 20 water)
Insurance car+rental ins: $139
Car payment: $389 (This has been refinanced, and it's down from $465)
Food: $250 (includes pet stuff)
Phone: $45
Gas: $40-ish
Electric: $80-100
Credit cards: $110 ($35, $40, 35 one of these is down to $171, other $1200, last $1242)
Furniture: $65 ($775 left on this, when I left I had just clothes and had to buy everything)
Internet: $117 (Verizon screwed me big time on this. Was supposed to be $75 with taxes/fees/ everything but no matter how many times I fought, this is the only thing they would give me without charging me $350 in cancellation fee because "It was already put through".)
Medical: $80

Now the big issue is, I am going to have student loans smack me in the face soon. Unfortunately, even though I still don't have a degree, I can't put off paying this anymore so incoming an additional $300.

SO my question is, do you see any way out of this situation? I am already behind as it is, so, I'm not sure what to do to make my situation any better aside from either getting a personal loan to combine what's left of my furniture and credit cards into one smaller sum and free up $100 or so. That's all I got. Oh and to get a part time job. Other than that, I'm lost. Any advice? Oh also I use YNAB now, it's the only way I can keep myself from going more insane than I already am about this.

Edit: Also I don't know if this is debt or planning so I'll stick it in debt for now.

Edited edit: I also wanted to actually finish getting a degree, and work up to getting a bachelor's, but, considering I have no money and would have to pay for it with a personal loan of some sort, I don't think it's gonna happen ever but that is something I'd like.

OP bought a car that was 100%+ of their annual income.

quote:

The dumbest part, is we bought this car a year prior to me leaving him, so I'm literally just starting it AND my other car was paid off. I could have had a car right now with no car payment if I hadn't found my dream car for a good price and purchased it.

:shepspends:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I love how people trot out "but it's my dream car!!" to use as an excuse to buy some $25k Miata convertible or whatever. Aim a little higher, people.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'd say it's a good thing for someone's dreams to be relatively affordable, though.

Sure, but when it's used as an excuse to overextend their budget it has the opposite effect.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Not really anything good enough to post, but there have been 3 posts on /r/personalfinance in the last week that had people asking for advice about their 30-year fixed rate mortgage with interest rates between 4.8% and 5.3%.

How is it even possible to get an interest rate that bad? And why would you lock yourself in to a 5.3% mortgage?!?

Are these for refis or new mortgages? Late 2000's, early 2010's, that would have been a reasonable rate depending on when you got it.

If it's for a new mortgage, they're getting boned.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Is American Girl publicly traded? I feel like I need to get in on this

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
$200k+ for a creative writing (or whatever it is) degree? :stare:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Enfys posted:

The companies that buy debt for pennies on the dollar will not be bound by this Act, so they are free to be as scummy and abusive as they like.

So business as usual?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

NancyPants posted:

Someone in your office going on and on about their medical problems? End the conversation. This isn't hard.

Someone in your thread going on and on about totally unrelated content? Post a BWM link!

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6k8ua7/should_i_apply_for_a_debt_consolidation_loan/

quote:

My wife and I have been discussing applying for a DC loan. Amongst medical bills and credit cards bills we have about $45k in debt. I was thinking about not including the smaller CC debts (under $1.5k) and just paying those off separate so that means we would like to apply for a $38k loan. We both have an average credit life of 3 years and last time I checked my score was around 600 with hers around 630. 100% on time payments. Combined we make about $58k/annually. Do you think we would qualify? My credit score is low just because of how much debt I am carrying and I really don't want to F it up with late payments or more inquiries...but we just want to roll everything into one payment. And any extra put it towards the loan. I feel like this is a never-ending spiral. I have saved about $1k in the last 4 months and have decided to stop putting $150 of every paycheck to my savings and just put it towards my lower balance cards.

My wife and I have stopped eating out, have not made any unnecessary purchases in the last 4 months and are committed to become debt free. I guess the good thing is were only 21 so we should be able to pay this all of within a decade.
Any banks or loan companies you recommend that would work with us? Any other tips?
Any advice is appreciated!!!
Edit: Forgot to mention I am renting. :(
Edit 2: I messed up with the way I posted this. I'm sorry. Let me clarify what the debts are to.

Citi Costco 15.49% $1,657.00
Amazon Visa 22.74% $1,315.00
Citi Double 13.24% $1,734.00
Citi Double 23.49% $1,737.00
American Eagle 24.24% $1,828.00
TJX Mastercard 27.24% $2,020.00
Citi Diamond 21.00% $2,295.00
Chase Marriott 16.25% $3,169.00
Amex 20.24% $3,591.00
Discover 18.99% $4,368.00
Amex Everyday 16.49% $6,747.00
Medical Bills add up to roughly $5,500.00

Only 21 and almost have their combined yearly salary in credit card debt accrued. At least they're (hopefully) seeing the error of their ways.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

This dude put 116k - his ENTIRE Roth IRA Balance - into RiteAid stock in advance of their merger with Walgreens.

Walgreens announced today that they are not going through with the Merger and RiteAid stock is down about 30%.

Hook it straight in my loving veins

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

GamingHyena posted:

Edit:
Looking at it a different way, assuming work started at 8am and stopped at 5:oo pm, then he'd be leaving the house for work at 3:30am and getting back around 9:30pm every single working day. Frankly, I'd be impressed if someone with this schedule decided to spend their free time driving, or basically doing anything but being comatose on the weekend.

Figure at least 30 minutes of eating/showering, you're getting a max of 5.5 hours of sleep a night. Could you imagine trying to do a 4.5 hour drive after 5.5 hours of sleep 5 days a week, and then again in the evening? It's a miracle they're still alive.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6kglnm/fiance_has_been_paying_600_a_month_for_critical/

quote:

My future wife bought critical illness insurance shortly after a friend of hers died of cancer. It's been costing her 600 a month for the past year and I've recently gotten a job in another country. This may require her to not work (since she wont have a visa) and I don't really want to pay into this ridiculously expensive bill monthly when I support her. From what I hear, if she lives until 65 or something, she will receive 100 percent of the money back as long as she keeps paying. If she cancels now (which I'm thinking of doing), she will lose what she's paid into it.
What should I do? 600 a month is going to be like 15 percent of my monthly take home income... We are currently relatively healthy and in our mid 30's.
Thanks!

lol wtf

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Pryor on Fire posted:

The actual story is probably like I hate this creepy landlord and don't want to talk about him and dad has been paying my rent for 10 years I'll just make up this stupid story instead. Young people do this weird thing where they just remove characters they don't like from the story sometimes, even if it requires changing reality a bit. I call it social media memory syndrome.

This is a weird post

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

John Smith posted:

Exactly. drat fools just don't learn. If you are living under my roof, then you obey my orders. Whether you agree with my orders or not is immaterial, your compliance is what is required. If my orders are for you to spin 3 times like a top every time you walk through a interior door, then you drat well spin.
I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. But that isn't just it, is it? I do get probated as well, even though there was consensus agreement that I was (factually) not wrong.
Oh, I think she is clearer on the big picture now...
You are right. Had to be done.
I actually do agree with that sentiment for 16 years old. No joke. "Don't touch the stove, you idiot!!!"

tldr: Self-actualisation is a luxury reserved for those capable of feeding / housing themselves.

Can you gently caress off with your low rent ayn rand bullshit to some other thread already? Post and/or discuss BWM for once in your miserable life instead of constantly making GBS threads this thread up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6ld567/20000_cc_debt_9000_left_on_car_loan_just_barely/

quote:

So as the title says I am very in debt due to some very bad financial decisions as well as some stuff going on in my personal life. Im fully accepting that I made this bed and now I'm lying in it.

My debt is as follows $20,000 on a 11.99% CC $9,000 left owing on an auto finance

Currently I make $26,000 a year after tax which works out to be about $2154/mo and $1077 each paycheck. Currently my fixed monthly costs are as follows

Rent - $790 Auto Loan - $340 Car Insurance - $210 Gas - $120 ish Dog food - $90 Food - around $200 per month Phone - $80 Gym - $30

All this equals around $1860, so after all that I have around $294 left over for paying debt or anything small for myself.

My minimum payments for my CC are around $200-$250 arm so I'm barely paying my monthly interest at this point.

I just secured a job where I will be making $32,891/year after tax, $2740/mnth which after all my fixed expenses will leave me with around $881 a month. My main question is should I put all of that towards my CC Debt or should I be putting maybe minimum payments + $250-$400 towards that and putting the rest in savings?

More debt than their (current) annual income, of which 2/3 is spent on rent/car. Not a recipe for success.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
This thread sucks

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

I don't believe so and thank you for posting. This is the most China thing ever

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

quote:

equine dentist

GWM or BWM?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Dillbag posted:

A combined 150k couple that's barely making ends meet with only 15% housing costs screams either massive student debt, two new cars financed at 2.9% for the next 72 months, or a refusal to stop eating out so loving much.

e. or a lot of drugs

It's probably all of these things.

I really wish OP would elaborate some more.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

canyoneer posted:

I just found out a coworker bought a BMW i9, a $150k supercar. Guy probably is pulling down around $70k annually.

Don't worry, he bought it used and got a deal on it, because it was declared a lemon in Florida.

He bought a BMW supercar with legally actionable mechanical defects.

You better post updates.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6tx8rc/im_broke_all_my_credit_cards_are_maxed_and_i_have/

quote:

Okay lets get straight to it. Im a veteran (23/m) so I go to school full time using the Post 9/11 GI bill. This bill makes it so that not only is my school paid for, but the VA will actually pay me a basic housing allowance (roughly $1900/month) while im going to school full time. This is a great deal but I should have probably planned a little better. You see, since I am at starting my 3rd year of college this fall the classes available to me are starting to dwindle. This summer in particular I wasn't able to get any classes since there were none available for me to take. I do have a part time job but they only give me about 20 hours a week (they are over employed). I had $1000 saved up for a situation like this and that almost immediately vanished on the first. $700 went to rent and $300 went to my car last month (I literally have one car payment left before I'm done paying it off). I should probably mention that my girlfriend (20) and my baby (4months) live with me. We dont really have a babysitter to depend on so one of us has to be at home with the baby at all times, this makes our working schedules very tight (basically when she's at work I'm home with the baby and vis versa). She's bringing about $120 a week (she also work part time) but she made the genius decision of getting a 2017 model car that runs her $485/month so all her money goes to that. Basically I'm broke right now, we've been living off credit cards the whole summer and now our credit cards are maxed out. I got denied for another credit card and rent is due on the first and we have no savings. On top of that, i had to pay another $300 this month for my car of which I didnt have, my dad said they wouldnt take the money out if there was nothing there but they did, so now not only are my credit cards maxed out with nothing in my savings, but im negative $300 in debit account. This means I wont have any money until that debt is paid off. Oh and to put a nice cherry on top of it all I got a flat tire after work last night, which I cannot afford to replace. Please, someone, anyone, i need some financial advise, what should I do at this point???
TLDR: Im broke, Im negative $300 in my checking account, no savings, all credit cards are maxed out, all my bills got paid but September 1st is steadily approaching.

Nice

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6tza1g/around_30k_in_credit_card_debt_need_advice_please/

quote:

25 yr old with parents around 60 yrs of age who live with me who I also support.
Income
Job 1 $1600 monthly
Job 2 $700 monthly
Expenses
Rent $1152 shared with parents.
Utilities $75
Electricity ~$145
Internet $80
Cell Phones $120
Car Insurance $199 went up from $145 due to a fender bender
Car Payment $307 for 72 months 7.84 APR, 18k car VW Jetta bought recently after returning a 2014 Honda Civic that was leased. I was planning on buying the Civic once the lease ended but it kept giving me problems hence the purchase. The Civic was $169 a month.
Health Insurance $155
Credit Card 1 $716.75 Minimum $35 APR
Credit Card 2 $2721.34 Minimum $77 APR 20.05%
Credit Card 3 $2711.34 Minimum $110 APR 22.24%
Credit Card 4 $6604.73 Minimum $171 APR 18.49%
Card 4 balance is high because I paid $5000 worth tuition when I didn't get finaid for that semester.
Credit Card 4 $3420.45 Minimum $93 APR 18.49%
Credit Card 5 $1616.81 Minimum $50 APR 18.49%
Credit Card 7 $9206.09 Minimum $200 APR 16.49%
Card 7 balance is high because I lent out money to a family member preventing them from being jailed in Saudi Arabia they have yet to repay it. Paid $200 then have been silent.

The remaining cards have gone up because of insurance premiums for myself and my mother and the 20% of medical costs. My father has Medicare so only 20% for his medical costs also.
In Oct 2015. I lost an additional income of $1200 that caused the debt. I am open to suggestions to pay it off. I pay $750 on minimum payments after expenses. I am also current on all my accounts.
Thanks in advance to any advice.

I sympathize for someone breaking their back to help keep their parents afloat but that bold part... woops.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

canyoneer posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817963

The GBS version of this thread has some really depressing stories

Looks like I won't be getting very much work done this afternoon

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Springfield Fatts posted:

My friend is a cheap rear end in a top hat. The last time I visited him Chicago he made me and my wife ride 20 minutes on the metro to go to this "great Chinese place he knows." It was completely unremarkable, and confusing as hell because he lived in what was known as the Little Saigon area of town and there were dozens of better options right outside his door. Then the mystery was solved at check time when he pulled out a buy one meal, get one free coupon out of his wallet. Of course he used the "free" meal for his own as we paid for ours. And he wonders why he's single.

Amazing

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
BWM Favorites: Houses, Cars, Rings, Education, Horses... Pine Straw?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6v3jwc/homeowners_beware_the_pine_straw_scam/

quote:

Had a knock on the door yesterday. Appeared to be a guy in the middle of a hard days work and wanted to know if I wanted some pine straw in my flower beds. We negotiated price @ $6/bail and he estimated it would take 40-50 bails. At my hardware store they sell pinestraw for $4.75/bail so seemed fair enough to pay that for the transport and spreading. They get to work and I get called outside about 30 minutes later. Guy said they put down 110 bails (nope) and the price went to $7/bail because he said they included "weed control". Here's where I knew it was a scam. I didn't sit there and count it so they had me. He said they could settle for $500 cash which I awkwardly paid to get these guys off my property.
Always, always be weary of these door to door folks. Don't get caught with your guard down like I did.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Actually you do! In most states, you can cancel any purchase made outside of a vendor's permanent place of business within 3 days for whatever reason you feel like.

Good luck finding their permanent place of business.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You somehow got exactly the opposite meaning of what was meant in that post.

And yet, I can detect exactly the meaning of yours. Funny how that works.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
A month really flies by fast, doesn't it.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Fiat bad, bitcoin good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
In case anyone wants to get some BWM right from the source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/6yn8hs/the_difference_between_inflation_and_deflation/