Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Thanks for quoting the OP because it's now goooone. Glad all posters are saying the truth, she's taking advantage of him. This part is really telling:

quote:

it was expected for me to pay for dinner dates.
This comment is super interesting because it paints a very interesting picture about the OPs GF:

quote:

I'm actually going to suggest that it's all less sinister than it comes across, though it's still bad.
I think that she's actually been more consistent (that she is in fact a traditionalist in regard to the "the man should make more" and "the man should take care of the woman") than it would seem at first glance. Cognitive dissonance is one hell of a thing, and the self-bargaining and rationalization that can result from it can be confusing.
Here is my theory: she wasn't doing the even split with OP to manipulate him, but she also wasn't doing it because it was fair; it was her making a compromise about something she wanted (her man being the breadwinner) for something she wanted as much or presumably more, to be with him (if she didn't and was a true gold-digger she would have never dated someone who made less than she). She's always wanted him to "be the man" and pay 100%, but she was forced to either accept that wasn't a possibility, and/or even felt guilty that it mattered to her. Him taking her out places and paying was a kind of consolation prize, the same way some people having trouble making ends meet still use a credit card to get a Playstation. They aren't happy about not making ends meet, but at least they can be happy playing the Playstation in the meantime.
But now he makes more and all is right in the world, so there is no longer a need to compromise and for her to "do without". It's not a double-standard for her because the standard (not justified, but somewhat societally-reinforced) is that the man should make more and pay the girl's way
:sever: really is the answer here. They're incompatible with each other and never discussed their wants and expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Now would be a good time to discuss them. Something similar happened to my friend and his (now ex) fiance. She was a waitress and he's an accountant and he always insisted everything be 50/50 and separate, but when she got hired at a tech company and started making more than him all of a sudden he wanted to combine incomes and began nagging her to start "paying him back for all the times he treated her to nights out." She left him maybe a month later.

He's a piece of poo poo, but I still love him and she's still a really close friend of mine, so hearing the two different sides of it for about 8 months was absolutely hilarious. He still doesn't think he did anything wrong.
haha you're friend is the reason why :sever: is the answer! He honestly thinks he has done nothing wrong. Same probably goes for the girl, she thinks this is how things should be!

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

cowofwar posted:

This is the dumbest reoccurring derail. Different arrangements are appropriate for different people with different needs and preferences. There is no one best way to conduct any aspect of any relationship, the only generalized advice is that all decisions must be communicated in advance and agreed upon otherwise emotional strife is a guaranteed outcome causing some aspect of relationship failure.
:yeah:
Last bit is important, if it works for you it works for you. Communicate it though so you don't end up having to :sever: cause of your unspoken rules of law.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
House-Chat is great. My father had a similar idea, he said to all of us kids

quote:

we should help your eldest brother buy a house. Once he gets a house, we can then do for the rest of you
:psyduck: There's 7 of us. :psyduck:

Papa John Misty posted:

One Weird Trick to paying off your student loans and being insufferable about it: financial support from your parents

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2017/11/15/student-loans-repayment/amp/
And a good job by the sounds of it:

quote:

That’s right. Every paycheck that I received, I would put in an average of $2,000/month into my loans, and attacked them one at a time.
LeSage has repaid $62,000 of student loan debt in two years
The math doesn't add up though... 2k per month x 24 months = 48k.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 17, 2017

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I'm not even making this up, the whole idea of stuff like Tether and it's sister/cousin token/coins/currencies came from exchanges that had to issue something of promissory value in order to make their account holders whole after they were hacked and looted for millions of dollars.
i.e. they needed TETHER to convert BITCOINS into USD. The name makes sense, they're acting like middlemen between banks and BITCOIN exchanges.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
This reminds me of the idiot who got mcscrooged by a rednick run puppy mill. Guy and his family drive 8 hours (one way) to get a dog (worth 3k), negotiates on the phone for a lower price but the redneck changes their mind and ups the price by $1k because she knew he drove 8 hours to get it. I wish I can find that post.

Is this a form of temporary insanity or assholery? Either she honestly believed OP knew about the deal (somehow, maybe OP is a mind reader?) and was taking care of payments OR she's a manipulative rear end in a top hat who wants to guilt sister into taking care of the debt. Either way, wow. I'd watch out the poor dane doesn't go missing.

Also from a while back, a related story:
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7a0jqq/petland_screwed_me_over/

quote:

Tl;dr Got ripped at petland and unknowingly signed for a 3 grand loan with 144% annual interest and I need a way to get out or reduce the ridiculous interest.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Pseudo-science - Check
Marketing wonder liquid - Check
Facebook Fitness Business - Check
Another australian trying to scam people - Check

https://www.metro.us/body-and-mind/health/olivia-budgen-instagram-cancer
https://www.reddit.com/r/insanepeoplefacebook/comments/7g4acp/cancer_is_good_for_you/

quote:

The focus needs to be on the garbage disposal system of the body; the lymphatic system. Detoxification is the key to alkalising and cleansing the tissues and fluids. Your cells will then strengthen and regenerate, and excess waste matter will eventually be eliminated. This heals the root cause of disease and brings the body back into balance.
:psyduck:

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Always wanted to make a parody of this type of thing, showing my fat, hairy self soullessly staring into the camera as above, while I post about how my personal brand of snake oil hasn't helped me in the slightest, and how I hold the reader in open contempt, yet you idiots should buy it for $200.00 a bottle because of toxins or some poo poo.

Couldn't pull it off because I'm not a) a woman or b) blonde.
You should do this! there's an aussie chick who does hilarious parodies of those dumb makeup videos, or vlog updates or whatever else these narcissistic people do. Partner keeps showing them to me and they're great. Really takes the piss out of the whole scene of bullshit.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
:( God that's heart breaking

In the comments OP said:

quote:

That's actually one of the ways I feel about this. It sickens me, too. Every time we go over this... I see my wife as a child. She looks at me like I am one of her parents.
:(

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The really wild thing about the endowment effect is that it sets in with totally inanimate objects that you didn't want or need in the first place basically the second you give them to someone.

Like, the original study by Thaler was done with coffee mugs, which then showed an endowment effect to the tune of 50% of the median value.

If I gave you a coffee cup and ask you how much I'd have to pay before you'd sell it to me, you'll name me a price that's 50% higher than the price for which you'd buy that same cup.

Incredible stuff.
Yes because they like the coffee mug. Fathers who have gotten lovely coffee mugs made by retarded 2 graders really love it and of course the amount required to relinquish the item to someone else will be illogically high. There's a difference between what the person is willing to sell it for and what the person actually believes the value of the item is. I believe a similar experiment was done with IKEA self assembled furniture, they actually thought the items value had increased because they assembled it. Going back to the cat, it's really sad they can't let the animal move on. It's really scary when this effect is applied to living beings, the horror stories of people trying to keep their loved ones or pets alive. :( Just let them go. I know their super valuable to you, but you need to let them die.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Nono, it's a loving LEASE of a horse. lol, how is that a thing?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

aww thanks

It's the dril tweet about candles but instead of candles it's LuLaRoe

More #BossBabe math.

Top bottle is 20g per serving, It Works snake oil bottle is 4.25g per serving. So cost per gram is 12 cents for the top bottle vs 43 cents for the bottom bottle. The nutritional amounts mentioned are calculated per serving rather than per gram, so the difference in calories on a gram-per-gram basis is negligible. Also, she is very clearly at Wal-Mart, not a health food shop.
This is hilarious. Thanks for doing the math.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
If you buy one, why tf would you want another one?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Kingdoms of Amalur was the single player game released by a studio that 38 Studios bought on the cheap. The actual game they were developing was Project Copernicus and it never saw the light of day. There's a trailer for it on youtube.

The article MoneyBall posted is well worth the time. I mean wow:

quote:

Then, MoveTrek Mobility — a company 38 Studios hired during the relocation to Providence to buy and resell employees’ Massachusetts homes — notified seven people that, because it had not yet sold their houses, they were potentially responsible for their old mortgages.

Schilling is the king of BWM. Hiring family, buying ridiculous gifts for all his staff, not understand the concept of PTO. Wow. Just wow.

An update on the saga:
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/09/years-after-bankruptcy-curt-schilling-settles-rhode-island-gaming-loans/

quote:

Schilling and other former executives at 38 Studios have agreed to pay $2.5 million to the state of Rhode Island to settle outstanding claims of defrauding the state out of $75 million in loans.
Schilling says he lost his entire savings of $50 million in the debacle, though the state has disputed that claim.
50 million! Poor guy, I guess he's counting all the gifts he bought the employees and the lavish lunches he provided.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 22, 2017

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
lol that post is great stuff. One of the top downvoted comments (that makes no sense):

quote:

I'm new to cryptocurrency and I've had my eye on Bitcoin off and on since it started, but never had any money to invest. Recently found an uncashed check and want to invest, yet I see all these exchanges have issues. Does anyone have a recommended place to store? Also easy way to mine Alt coins? I have a strong rig and would like to put it to use while not using it.
How bad at life and money do you have to be to lose loving cheque and then find it later... but decide to "invest" in bitcoin when clearly you loving need it.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

In my heart I know it's a birthday check from his grandma from 2003.
It's even better than that:

quote:

It was a $300 class action settlement check from a large bank for shady practices while working for them. And I'm a college student, so I live on financial aid and receive food stamps. So $300 I haven't missed is money I can afford to invest since if it's lost, I never really had it. Plus, I've been meaning to invest in crypto and new weed stocks with California legalizing.

Wtf is weed stock? haha

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Did they just compare "business" to lottery?

:psyduck:

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
He also aged 5 years in 1 month.

What a great person

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Speaking of donations... My family is BWM and may have funded extremists in the middle east.

My (middle eastern) family has a WhatsApp chat group . It's meant for family related poo poo, like chatting, planning and sharing pictures. What it quickly devolves into is forward-forward religious spam, anti-israeli propaganda and this amazing video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtRT6hjXfWg forwarded by my mother with translated subtitles as a real warning that they use cocaine in tomato sauce with no hint of humour.

Of course I get sick of this poo poo and eventually leave. The last straw was when a relative decided to gather donations for a "charity" that wants to build a school. Did the org have a site? or something reputable? Nope, just a bank details you were meant to wire the money to. A lot of my family donates. Not a week later we get a video thanking people for the donations and their plans to buy more land and build something else and they need more money for this new project. They showed a random patch of barren land, near nothing, not even other houses.

I said something about how suspicious all of this was, especially their first project of building a school hasn't even been finished and left.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Can you fill me in, why is the farm sending flowers in potting mix, are they shipping live plants? Are there not laws prohibiting (in whatever country) transporting non-sterile soil?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
:(
Grandparents have lost $30k to lottery scams. They took out a $150k loan to pay for another. How can I help?

quote:

My grandparents (80 and 85, Georgia) get phonecalls from "the Department of Treasury" letting them know they have won $xxx, xxx and all they need to do is send $1000 to some person for "taxes" and then they will receive the money.

To my knowledge, they have sent $30k in total.

The situation at hand: my grandma got a letter saying she won $4.5 Million from "Mega Million" and she has to put up $150k (the lottery fund is putting up $250k "on her behalf") and then she will get 4.5M. She also is told she will receive a 2017 Mercedes. She is awaiting a loan for the 150k to come through.

She is keeping this as secret as possible from her two children (50s). I do not know what to do. My grandparents are okay financially, but this loan would be an extreme hardship.

Things we have tried (as a family): - blocking phone numbers on their phones - calling the scammers ourselves - showing them Google searches that indicate the phone numbers belong to scammers - having friends in the police come to their house and read the letters and give their opinion

Clearly nothing is working. Any advice would be great, thank you.
Old people are BWM :(

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
This sounds like BWM but it's not that bad:

quote:

The twins, who famously sued Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, bought their original bitcoins with part of the $65 million settlement from the case.

They turned 65m into ~1.3 Billion (now ~700m). Their "loss" isn't really a loss.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
IMO if you're hobby is buying things and not even interacting with them then it's BWL and therefore BWM.

It's essentially WOW in real life, instead of grinding for XP/gold and loot, you're grinding for money and plastic. At least play with them ... or something. What are you meant to do with these things, do they move or make a sound?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

quote:

I've done it almost every time I bought a horse, simply because I'd rather not take cash from household savings accounts for my "hobby," per se. I take signature loans from my credit union which don't require collateral. And yes, I can fully support my horses on my salary! Getting the horse insured is a very good practice as well, in case of the unthinkable. Now it did happen to me that a horse I bought with a loan, died before the loan was paid off, and cause of death (EPM) was not covered under my insurance. So bad things can still happen.

quote:

Horses contract EPM from contaminated feed or water. So killing other wildlife is counterproductive, cleaning your barn and covering feed is how to prevent this disease.

:( Insurance is great in case of the unthinkable, but don't actually do the thinkable thing and look after your horse. JFC

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

quote:

After the dump from 19k to 11k I went long at the bottom, and kept adding to my position on the bounce to 12k 13k, 14k. Then, at the 16k dead cat, my position was a further 100 BTC in profit. Instead of closing then and having a total 300 BTC, I increased leverage and increased my position size. This entire position was liquadated on the drop back to 12k, because my entry had moved up so much. I lost 100 btc paper profit and nearly 50 BTC margin. I was devasted, and down to 150 BTC total.

After evaluating the situation, I came to the conclusion that the pump to 16k was a dead cat and that we are going lower. Therefore I shorted. At 12k. Added at 13k. Added at 14 and 15k. Got liquidated at the top at 17k. Another 50 BTC loss. Down to 100.

Think, ok we made a higher high at 17k, uptrend back on. Went long. Got liquidated at 13k.
Can someone please explain trading jargon?

From what I understand, through "investing" he obtained 100 BTC. Using those 100 BTC as leverage, he essentially loaned a bunch of money to trade more than he actually had (the margin). BTC crashes, he over stretched himself and now he's broke.

Correct?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Virtue posted:

The brokerage lends you money to trade on “margin.” In return they have the right to liquidate your position if it drops too far to protect their loan, called a “margin call”. Leverage is great on the way up but not so hot on the way down and particularly silly in a volatile market. If the price drops 50% but shoots up 1000000% a few moments later, you’ll never realize those gains because the margin call will liquidate your position on the drop.

SlapActionJackson posted:

Pretty much.
Long = betting the price will go up; short = betting it will go down.
"Margin" and "leverage" = borrowing money so you can make bigger bets. This magnifies both gains and losses, so if you bet wrong, it's possible to lose more than you started with. To prevent your account from going negative, brokers will force-sell your positions ("liquidate") at certain trigger points.

When the price was 16K, he bet that the price would go up, but it went down to 12K, and he got liquidated.
Then he bet that it would keep going down, making additional bets as it rose to 12,13,14,15K. It kept going up to 17K and he got liquidated again.
Then he bet that it would keep going up, but it went down to 13K. Liquidated again, and this time he had lost everything.

Thank you, both. So, to summarise: he placed wrong bets at every turn. WOW

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Am I the only female that thinks Lularoe is overpriced frump trash? This garbage is starting to leak into my office! No...ladies. No. Donut printed leggings with a maternity shirt when you're clearly NOT pregnant is NOT office appropriate just because your paired it with heels...even if you spent 100$ on it.

Can you provide a working example? Cause wtf

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I found this reddit post regarding treating MLMs hilarious:

quote:

MLM's come into my work all the time trying to poach people. Believe it or not, they don't even change up their "template" in real life conversations. It's absolutely pathetic. We laugh at how transparent they are. We've even had multiple in the same night where you know they just got out of a meeting or something. It's pretty creepy because they remind me of videogame NPC's or Westworld robots or something because of the limited dialogue options.

They always show up overdressed in ill fitting suits and brag about some expensive purchase. They pretend they need help finding an item to buy but they never have a cart. They always open with some fake compliment. Usually it's just "I like your shoes!" then it's "So you go to school? How long have you worked here? Do you like it here? Well are you keeping your options open?"

I've done everything from shut them down as soon as they say they like my shoes to calling security to boot them and their tacky suits, to pretending to be interested and then making them drive out to some remote Starbucks because "I'd like to know more!" and then ghosting them.
https://www.reddit.com/r/cringepics/comments/7wfnqu/mlm_forgot_to_change_her_recruiting_template/du0b961/

Hahahaha

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Or up to date charts or half decent navigation training.

Piloting by buoys, using a spotlight in fog. God drat. :eng99:
Or don't sail at night in an unfamiliar location when you're a novice:

quote:

It was about 8:45 p.m. when they sailed into a new port, navigating a channel they had never sailed before, in the dark, fog rolling in.

and to add insult to injury:

quote:

In fact, the Coast Guard told the couple they need to get their boat out of there. It could cost up to $10,000 to remove and store it. They have about $90.
JFC

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

This post is so good and so pertinent to the current convo on lottery tickets that I must quote post it:

quote:

Congratulations! You just won millions of dollars in the lottery! That's great.

Now you're hosed.

No really.

You are.

You're hosed.

If you just want to skip the biographical tales of woe of some of the math-tax protagonists, skip on down to the next comment, to see what to do in the event you win the lottery.

You see, it's something of an open secret that winners of obnoxiously large jackpots tend to end up badly with alarming regularity. Not the $1 million dollar winners. But anyone in the nine-figure range is at high risk. Eight-figures? Pretty likely to be screwed. Seven-figures? Yep. Painful. Perhaps this is a consequence of the sample. The demographics of lottery players might be exactly the wrong people to win large sums of money. Or perhaps money is the root of all evil. Either way, you are going to have to be careful. Don't believe me? Consider this:

Large jackpot winners face double digit multiples of probability versus the general population to be the victim of:

Homicide (something like 20x more likely)

Drug overdose

Bankruptcy (how's that for irony?)

Kidnapping

And triple digit multiples of probability versus the general population rate to be:

Convicted of drunk driving

The victim of Homicide (at the hands of a family member) 120x more likely in this case, ain't love grand?

A defendant in a civil lawsuit

A defendant in felony criminal proceedings

Believe it or not, your biggest enemy if you suddenly become possessed of large sums of money is... you. At least you will have the consolation of meeting your fate by your own hand. But if you can't manage it on your own, don't worry. There are any number of willing participants ready to help you start your vicious downward spiral for you. Mind you, many of these will be "friends," "friendly neighbors," or "family." Often, they won't even have evil intentions. But, as I'm sure you know, that makes little difference in the end. Most aren't evil. Most aren't malicious. Some are. None are good for you.

Jack Whittaker, a Johnny Cash attired, West Virginia native, is the poster boy for the dangers of a lump sum award. In 2002 Mr. Whittaker (55 years old at the time) won what was, also at the time, the largest single award jackpot in U.S. history. $315 million. At the time, he planned to live as if nothing had changed, or so he said. He was remarkably modest and decent before the jackpot, and his ship sure came in, right? Wrong.

Mr. Whittaker became the subject of a number of personal challenges, escalating into personal tragedies, complicated by a number of legal troubles.

Whittaker wasn't a typical lottery winner either. His net worth at the time of his winnings was in excess of $15 million, owing to his ownership of a successful contracting firm in West Virginia. His claim to want to live "as if nothing had changed" actually seemed plausible. He should have been well equipped for wealth. He was already quite wealthy, after all. By all accounts he was somewhat modest, low profile, generous and good natured. He should have coasted off into the sunset. Yeah. Not exactly.

Whittaker took the all-cash option, $170 million, instead of the annuity option, and took possession of $114 million in cash after $56 million in taxes. After that, things went south.

Whittaker quickly became the subject of a number of financial stalkers, who would lurk at his regular breakfast hideout and accost him with suggestions for how to spend his money. They were unemployed. No, an interview tomorrow morning wasn't good enough. They needed cash NOW. Perhaps they had a sure-fire business plan. Their daughter had cancer. A niece needed dialysis. Needless to say, Whittaker stopped going to his breakfast haunt. Eventually, they began ringing his doorbell. Sometimes in the early morning. Before long he was paying off-duty deputies to protect his family. He was accused of being heartless. Cold. Stingy.

Letters poured in. Children with cancer. Diabetes. MS. You name it. He hired three people to sort the mail. A detective to filter out the false claims and the con men (and women) was retained.

Brenda, the clerk who had sold Whittaker the ticket, was a victim of collateral damage. Whittaker had written her a check for $44,000 and bought her house, but she was by no means a millionaire. Rumors that the state routinely paid the clerk who had sold the ticket 10% of the jackpot winnings hounded her. She was followed home from work. Threatened. Assaulted.

Whittaker's car was twice broken into, by trusted acquaintances who watched him leave large amounts of cash in it. $500,000 and $200,000 were stolen in two separate instances. The thieves spiked Whittaker's drink with prescription drugs in the first instance. The second incident was the handiwork of his granddaughter's friends, who had been probing the girl for details on Whittaker's cash for weeks.

Even Whittaker's good-faith generosity was questioned. When he offered $10,000 to improve the city's water park so that it was more handicap accessible, locals complained that he spent more money at the strip club. (Amusingly this was true).

Whittaker invested quite a bit in his own businesses, tripled the number of people his businesses employed (making him one of the larger employers in the area) and eventually had given away $14 million to charity through a foundation he set up for the purpose. This is, of course, what you are "supposed" to do. Set up a foundation. Be careful about your charity giving. It made no difference in the end.

To top it all off, Whittaker had been accused of ruining a number of marriages. His money made other men look inferior, they said, wherever he went in the small West Virginia town he called home. Resentment grew quickly. And festered. Whittaker paid four settlements related to this sort of claim. Yes, you read that right. Four.

His family and their immediate circle were quickly the victims of odds-defying numbers of overdoses, emergency room visits and even fatalities. His granddaughter, the eighteen year old "Brandi" (who Whittaker had been giving a $2100.00 per week allowance) was found dead after having been missing for several weeks. Her death was, apparently, from a drug overdose, but Whittaker suspected foul play. Her body had been wrapped in a tarp and hidden behind a rusted-out van. Her seventeen year old boyfriend had expired three months earlier in Whittaker's vacation house, also from an overdose. Some of his friends had robbed the house after his overdose, stepping over his body to make their escape and then returning for more before stepping over his body again to leave. His parents sued for wrongful death claiming that Whittaker's loose purse strings contributed to their son's death. Amazingly, juries are prone to award damages in cases such as these. Whittaker settled. Again.

Even before the deaths, the local and state police had taken a special interest in Whittaker after his new-found fame. He was arrested for minor and less minor offenses many times after his winnings, despite having had a nearly spotless record before the award. Whittaker's high profile couldn't have helped him much in this regard.

In 18 months Whittaker had been cited for over 250 violations ranging from broken tail lights on every one of his five new cars, to improper display of renewal stickers. A lawsuit charging various police organizations with harassment went nowhere and Whittaker was hit with court costs instead.

Whittaker's wife filed for divorce, and in the process froze a number of his assets and the accounts of his operating companies. Caesars in Atlantic City sued him for $1.5 million to cover bounced checks, caused by the asset freeze.

Today Whittaker is badly in debt, and bankruptcy looms large in his future.

But, hey, that's just one example, right?

Wrong.

Nearly one third of multi-million dollar jackpot winners eventually declare bankruptcy. Some end up worse. To give you just a taste of the possibilities, consider the fates of:
  • Billie Bob Harrell, Jr.: $31 million. Texas, 1997. As of 1999: Committed suicide in the wake of incessant requests for money from friends and family. “Winning the lottery is the worst thing that ever happened to me.¯

• William āBudā¯ Post: $16.2 million. Pennsylvania. 1988. In 1989: Brother hires a contract murderer to kill him and his sixth wife. Landlady sued for portion of the jackpot. Convicted of assault for firing a gun at a debt collector. Declared bankruptcy. Dead in 2006.

• Evelyn Adams: $5.4 million (won TWICE 1985, 1986). As of 2001: Poor and living in a trailer gave away and gambled most of her fortune.

• Suzanne Mullins: $4.2 million. Virginia. 1993. As of 2004: No assets left.

• Shefik Tallmadge: $6.7 million. Arizona. 1988. As of 2005: Declared bankruptcy.

• Thomas Strong: $3 million. Texas. 1993. As of 2006: Died in a shoot-out with police.

• Victoria Zell: $11 million. 2001. Minnesota. As of 2006: Broke. Serving seven year sentence for vehicular manslaughter.

• Karen Cohen: $1 million. Illinois. 1984. As of 2000: Filed for bankruptcy. As of 2006: Sentenced to 22 months for lying to federal bankruptcy court.

• Jeffrey Dampier: $20 million. Illinois. 1996. As of 2006: Kidnapped and murdered by own sister-in-law.

• Ed Gildein: $8.8 million. Texas. 1993. As of 2003: Dead. Wife saddled with his debts. As of 2005: Wife sued by her own daughter who claimed that she was taking money from a trust fund and squandering cash in Las Vegas.

• Willie Hurt: $3.1 million. Michigan. 1989. As of 1991: Addicted to cocaine. Divorced. Broke. Indicted for murder.

• Michael Klingebiel: $2 million. As of 1998 sued by own mother claiming he failed to share the jackpot with her.

• Janite Lee: $18 million. 1993. Missouri. As of 2001: Filed for bankruptcy with $700 in assets.

There are more followup posts that goes into great detail about what you should do.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

edit: found the patron saint of this thread

:wtc:

What does she look like? Trailer trash or surprising not crazy?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Midjack posted:

They often prepare it the night before. The cling film keeps it from evaporating or absorbing odor and flavor from the other things in the fridge overnight.
for $45 i want FRESHLY poured juice. wow

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

balancedbias posted:

Oh I know what Theranos was supposed to be working on (it was fun lunchtime talk because even the dietary people at the hospital knew it was bullshit from the way we disparaged it). What I meant was what are they doing now that it's all exposed? Why do they still exist?

Yes, they've gotten an injection of 100m. Their only viable product is the miniLab:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/blood-testing-firm-theranos-gets-100-million-lifeline-from-fortress-1514057523

quote:

After closing its laboratories in California and Arizona, Theranos has refocused its strategy on commercializing a device called the miniLab that miniaturizes various lab instruments and packs them into one box. However, this strategy requires getting the box approved by the Food and Drug Administration. For now, the only application Theranos is working on submitting to the agency is for a test to detect Zika, the mosquito-borne virus that causes severe brain malformations in infants, with the device.

Theranos recently got a paper about the miniLab accepted for publication by the scientific journal Bioengineering & Translational Medicine, but it doesn’t include any data from small fingerstick samples—the technological advance Ms. Holmes had once touted as revolutionary. Instead, the data is based on blood samples obtained the traditional way, with a needle in the arm, according to a person familiar with the paper.

Theranos was a black box led by a dictator (Holmes) and her cronies (a bunch of generals), who have no actual domain knowledge relevant to the company. It sounds like there's a small change in the company, maybe Holmes is no longer at the helm or she's actually taking advice from others. The shift from Edison machine to miniLab is hilarious. They've gone from attempting to replace hundreds of conventional blood tests to a (traditional) blood test for a relatively easy to detect organism.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Switchback posted:

How much do I wish Australia was on that graph! I want to move there but as someone in here said, the entire economy seems like a bubble. I was asking someone what their rent was, and they said “oh I pay $800 for a room. A flat like that (points to an apartment one block from Bondi Beach) is probably $1200.” I’m thinking, wow that’s so reasonable!! I could afford that!

Then I learned people in Australia pay rent WEEKLY. In Sydney, average weekly income is $1014 and average weekly rent is $911 (according to a random website, these might not be very accurate). How is that sustainable for anybody?!
If you talk to someone from Sydney or Melb who live in the CBD of a city... sure. But my friend has a great 2 bedroom apartment in Melbourne and he pays 400/week. We pay fortnightly (every 2 weeks), but quote prices weekly.

I live 50 minutes outside Brisbane in a 4 bedroom house, huge yard and I pay $360/week.

FYI you don;t have to live in the CBD to enjoy life. Overall really dumb post

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Inescapable Duck posted:

Problem is there's gently caress all employment outside said popular cities.

Have the problem explained in an extremely Australian fashion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL7M5RIXjY8

(basically, boomers bitching about kids on welfare while enjoying much better welfare)
Lovely straw man argument. There are several things you're slapping together and calling it one problem, they're all interlinked: Buying a house, renting a house and working.

Buying a house in a reasonable area is impossible in Melbourne, Sydney and even Brisbane/Perth, totally agree (the latter it depends on the area). Again I rent a house 50 minutes outside Brisbane and our neighbour is selling his for~$350k. That's reasonable IMO.

Renting close to where you work is still reasonable and not insane. No one mentioned working and living inside major cities.

I disagree about finding employment outside popular cities. "Unpopular" cities are constantly trying to attract state immigrants, an example is Darwin, of course it depends on your job and profession.

I agree about negative gearing but Australia's (and maybe the rest of the developed world) obsession with owning property that is both an investment property AND meets your families needs AND is close to work AND in the perfect city is loving dumb and people need to get over it. Rent/work where you want to live, buy where you think will be a good investment and put money into the shares market.

I fundamentally disagree with housing as an investment vehicle. It is a human right and we need to stop commoditising it and encouraging it.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Just because I disagree with the system and the current environment doesn't mean I won't provide advice that I think is appropriate. I'm skipping the buying as investment for my own reasons, which could be wrong. People can disagree and do their own thing but aiming to live, work and buy in the hottest suburbs is just dumb.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Has anyone posted this train wreck of a BWM and BWL?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProRevenge/comments/88junj/hello_again_im_the_girlartist_whos_aunt_tried_the/

quote:

At the beginning of the year my Aunt Jay (by marriage) asked me to do some artwork for her new real estate business. We had a verbal agreement that she would pay me. She was demanding, insulting and lovely from the get go and I was out a ton of time, quite a bit of material costs very quickly. She wanted me to fly out on my own dime to finish up and paint a mural I designed. I asked for payment on everything I'd already done and she freaked out and screamed at me.

Tuesday, I went to my schools licensing/legal aid office, they helped me draft a letter to cease using my work and an invoice. Aunt Jay called my mom calling me an "ungrateful brat." Mom called Aunt Jay's supposed real estate company to say that one of their agents was not paying for services rendered. Company had no idea who Aunt Jay was. This caused my Uncle to look into things and it turned out Aunt Jay had taken out a few credit cards in his name only and maxed them out. Probably for her Escalade, new "real estate agent" wardrobe and office.

My update was Wednesday so in the following 2/3 days quite a bit more information has come to light about what Aunt Jay was actually up to. She's actually not in as big of trouble as I and everyone on the last post assumed but she's still pretty much screwed in several ways.

So first of all we learned that she probably never told anyone other than my uncle that she was working for the nation wide real estate company in question going to call it ProRealty (my last fake name may have been a little to obvious). It doesn't look like she had any clients, never brokered a single deal, she may have taken a few people around to look at houses but we aren't even sure about that. It looks like the "soon to be ProRealty franchisee" thing was just a lie to get my uncle off her tracks about where this huge influx of cheaply financed money was coming from. She had told him that ProRealty had financed her new Escalade and that they had helped her rent her office.

Since she never actually claimed to be a certified ProRealty agent in order to defraud people, it doesn't look like the company itself has any legal recourse against her. However my mom (extreme extrovert, opposite of me) who has become fast friends with the most senior agent in my hometown and he is (or has, not sure) going to report my aunt to the state board of real estate to have her new (as of last fall) license reviewed and probably suspended. Even if this doesn't happen, she is essentially blackballed from ever doing a deal with ProRealty and according this senior agent, something like 45% of home sales in my town happen with a ProRealty agent one either side of the sale. So even if Aunt Jay doesn't lose her license, she's effectively chopped half of her business potential right from the get go.

One thing that absolutely came out of my last r/prorevenge post was that two actual "ProRealty" agents commented and it was because of them that I was able to figure out a huge chunk of the puzzle. So the real life version of this company uses a very identifiable form of transportation on their logo but to keep this anonymous let's say that ProRealty uses a boat. When Aunt Jay was first talking to me about doing work for her she was oddly adamant that I don't use any "boats" in any of the work I was going to do for her. I mean actually forcefully direct instruction was "no boats!" In my head at the time I was like, I'm not one to paint boats anyways but point taken. Well as me and my family now surmise, while she knew she was already fraudulent, she was still trying to walk a line of not getting on ProRealty's radar in any way shape or form because she knew they could really screw up her plans if she were to be seen driving an $80000 Escalade around town with anything resembling ProRealty's "boat" plastered all over it. But to me it shows she absolutely knew she was up to no good and I hope this can be used in the divorce.

So onto my uncle, I don't know all the ins and outs of how separations and divorces work but as I understand he contacted a lawyer Wednesday afternoon and they were working to file some sort of emergency separation motion with the courts as soon as they possibly could in order to make sure she couldn't do any more financial damages to him. One thing that I thought was really cool of my uncle to do was that his lawyer did (or is in the process) of filing paperwork so she has to turn over all financial records and declare all assets related to her "business" and my uncle specifically asked the lawyer to include the oil painting and logos I'd already shipped to her. So while I'll never get paid, at least I may get my work back. The lawyer is also figuring out what to do about the identity theft.

One thing that is totally screwed up and I totally don't understand is that my uncle has pretty much paid for everything since they've been married (about 5 years) and Aunt Jay literally committed identity theft against him, he is still the one who has to leave the house so at least until he can get a place on his own, he's staying with my parents. My dad says my uncle is basically broken over this, that he didn't see it coming and actually bought into the bullcrap about ProRealty financing a car for someone who didn't even work for them. This makes me feel bad because I brought it all to light but my dad says my uncle appreciates it because Aunt Jay could have gotten in much deeper and she didn't really have a chance to try to and cover up fraud with more fraud.

So still a lot I don't know but this is where we are today. My uncles lawyer doesn't have a timeline for the divorce, I guess it will just depend if stupid Aunt Jay actually finds a lawyer who will put up a fight or if she just tries to fade away.

We'll see, thank you for reading, thank you for all the comments the other day and thank you to the posters who provided a lot of clarity with their knowledge of relationships and the real estate business.

Identity theft, corporate fraud (?), divorce, credit card debit, alienation from family, mid life crisis, "exposure".

:wow: that aunt is insane.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
https://www.reddit.com/r/AusFinance/comments/8d31x0/youth_allowance_and_investing_in_cryptocurrency/

Youth allowance and investing in cryptocurrency?

quote:

So I’m in the process of applying for youth allowance and am wondering if this will affect my ability to invest in crypto?

I’m currently earning $50 / week from tutoring and was thinking of putting that into crypto each week if I’m not allowed to invest youth allowance in crypto.

How does it work? Is this allowed? Where would I declare my crypto losses and gains and around how much would I be needing to make from crypto to no longer be eligible for youth allowance? Although any crypto gains I do make probably won’t be large enough for this

quote:

this should be good.

For the non-australians: Youth Allowance is name of social security/welfare payments you receive as a young person under (I think) 25 years when you're a student. It's barely enough to live on.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Hoodwinker posted:

Things that could get you probated
This list includes actions that could get you probated. I say could because, as always, funny/informative/interesting posts are always welcome in BFC. However, the following types of posts usually don't add enough value relative to the trouble they cause:
Talking about yourself

Lol enjoy your probation.

(I think they are all movie titles)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
This one is hilarious:

quote:

Bought some geese when I was a kid. They immediately attacked my dad, and then flew away.
Geese are loving assholes and I am happy they make down jackets from them.