Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Weatherman posted:

On that note, let me post three of the four best BWM-related SA threads of all time.

4. Scammed by dealership, and I'm taking it to the news, wherein a dumbass teenager hotfoots it to his local Nissan dealership and signs a contract he neither read nor understands and that he trusted the dealer to explain to him.

3. Decreasing credit lines, increasing interest rates, and bankruptcy., wherein a dumbass alcoholic college student explains why bankruptcy is the most appropriate course of action and why won't you mean goons stop telling me I'm a drunk?

2. Can't find a link, but it's zaurg's first thread.

1. YEAR, n. A period of three hundred and sixty-five disappointments (zaurg's second and ultimately fatal thread). Seriously, you have to just spend a weekend reading through it.

Honourable mention: The Cornholio Thraed, wherein a BWM goon sees the light and makes a full conversion to GWM status and forum legend.

I haven't read the "Scammed by dealership" thread in forever! All of these are fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

in the ultimate irony horses become GWM

Invest in hay futures boys. Ours is the time of change.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Flooger posted:

The factory is only about 10 years old, and there's only a handful of people in the whole place that have been there that long. Most of my employees are 3 - 4 years or less.

Edit: also, I think my employer is still opt in. I haven't heard any of the newest people complaining about having to opt out at least.

Might be a factory worker thing. My best friend works at Ford and he gets made fun of for putting money in his 401k by all the old timers because "They're just taking money out of your check!" These are the same guys that were telling him they should vote against the Union's advice to be bought out of their pensions because of the huge check they'd get.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

Don't need a driveway if you commute by horse.

Everything's a driveway in your brand new 2017 FordŽ Super Duty F350 King Ranch.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rudager posted:

BWM: Having a hobby.

The end.

Counterpoint: woodworking. The money spent on equipment is offset by the shear number of chairs you can now pack into your house/garage/porch/basement/shed/car/etc.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

The only possible advantage to 8 years of Donald Trump would be him as the last Baby Boomer President.

Not a bad trade off all things considered.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

cowofwar posted:

I'm surprised trucks were so cheap for so long before the car manufacturers realized that truck drivers are the dumbest, most insecure people that are most susceptible to pressure from conspicuous consumption.

Well, them and environmentalists. Anything priced on feeling good about yourself is gonna get gouged.

edit:
See also health food.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Harry posted:

Every once in a while you just run into people/group of people who are incapable of making an acceptable decision. Not good, just acceptable. This seems like one of those groups.

I don't know. Dan is getting a free car and seems to be avoiding all their stupid mistakes. If he's got his own checking and savings outside of their shared accounts then he's doing fine.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

curufinor posted:

the cheese is not the secret
a five guys bun is cake minus 90% of the sugar

Soooo, bread?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SpelledBackwards posted:

I know I'm over 30, which makes me old and out of touch, by what the gently caress is a geofenced time-expiring Snapchat filter, and why would someone want that?

Edit: didn't realize I waa at the end of the page. Also, agreed that I don't get what Snapchat is even for aside from sending nudes. I've also never seen a fidget spinner.

Basically it's a filter that labels snap chat images taken in a certain location. So if you're throwing a concert it's advertising for your venue or the event. Businesses have them a lot now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The BWL aspect of this whole situation is that I'm pretty sure she still wants to get back together with him and that the house will help.

She basically thinks that he got scared of commitment from buying the house and that as long as he doesn't sleep with his ex (and she finds out about it) that he never really cheated or left.

Everyone told her not to go through with it, but when she did she kept waffling between "He just got cold feet! He'll be back!" and "I need to go through with it because I'll own half a house in an up-and-coming neighborhood and I can be financially independent! I'm doing this to stick it to him!"

For the record, the girl her boyfriend left her for was his girlfriend in high-school (10+ years ago) and cheated on him twice. Once on a band trip to Florida and another within two months of him going to college. They originally broke up when he was 20 and he is now 31.

How does someone jump through this sort of mental hoop?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Driving an hour each way for work also eats into that potential 70k salary at a healthy clip when you factor in gas, repairs, and wear and tear.

Maybe he should get a horse.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Aw poor baby. What you pricks never realize is that sexism ruins the whole world.

To be fair, it only ruins the world for like half the people though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Buying bitcoin with credit cards is the naked short put on margin version of "nerd investing."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Discuss.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

the talent deficit posted:

nah, if you bought it on credit it was almost certainly on gox and you lost it all

if by some miracle you dodged that the only ways to turn bitcoins into cash right now are a single shady bank in taiwan and circle/coinbase where you're limited to hundreds of dollars in cash withdrawals a week

or i guess you can meet someone at starbucks and get paid in gift cards

I'm not sure how most people do it, but I see bitcoin wallet xfers in a few accounts from time to time at my job. Only once has it ever lead to a restriction on the account and that was because of the amount that he transferred in (~800k). It may be extremely hard to sell because it's essentially a closed market, but there are some people that are cashing out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BWM, but good with paint choice. I love that shifting color paint. Reminds me of the 90's.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:respek:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

He seems to be doing otherwise ok:

Sounds like the kind of guy who should just stick to what he knows (which isn't the stock market.) Not sure why you'd buy Cameco right now even though it's dirt cheap.

Probably because it's dirt cheap. People see it's under $10 and think they can get a 600% return if it bounces back up to it's all time highs.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Staryberry posted:

This with a horse trailer rather than an rv?

I can only assume the cauldron(?) hanging from the bottom is below the turlit in the rv.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Think those are mules aren't they? Or was that the joke?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Inept posted:

:stonk:

How...how is that just a footnote in your initial post?

Who among us, in a fit of passion, has not tried to set another person ablaze?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And Adele is amazing with money. She turned the earthy voice of Hungarian Throat singer into a multimillion dollar empire!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Could she withdraw the money from her bank account and stuff the cash in a pillow, or does she have to account for every nickle and dime (loon and....whatever other Canadian coin name) she spends so the government can keep people from squirreling money away and staying on disability? Honestly, I don't even know where to begin with this one. Think TB has it right with a good case worker being the first big step. This poor woman.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

Just came back from the BWM capital of the US - Las Vegas. I only had two conversations about gambling, but one of them was particularly fine. The guy was telling me that "the trick to winning at Craps is to find a table with the right synergy and to leave it before the table cools off."

You laugh, but just switch "craps" with "tech sector ETF's" and that dude could be a finance correspondent for any major news source.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Can't do too much with just a ssn.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Friends of my roommate spent 3k on flowers for their wedding. 3k in plastic flowers.

At least they can dust them off and use them at their next wedding too.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Honestly that's why I tend to disagree that bad presidents are a boon to comedy. It was the same thing with W. - "pee pee doo doo he is a bad president" becomes the only joke.

I saw Lewis Black this year and he said he can't make jokes about Trump because he's already a walking satire.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yond Cassius posted:

Maybe he means 'maxing out the company match', which is a bit of confusion/delusion that I've heard more than a few times.

Yup, that's my guess too.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edit: /\/\/\ yeah, this

He shouldn't be maxing out his retirement accounts until he has ~6 month salary saved in cash. Not a dead set rule, but seems appropriate for this situation.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 14, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yup, known entity that just goes away if you ignore it the IRS. I wonder if his wages are being garnished already and he just doesn't know.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That slick son-of-a-bitch is going to corner the Rydia card market! He's gonna be the Standard Oil of Rydia cards.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Are you able to just buy into and out of Ethereum? If it's guaranteed liquid and able to be converted to actual cash with in a business day or something I would consider tossing some throw away money at it. Like if there was ever a cryptocurrency ETF or something I could justify buying into it for a short term investment.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, thought so.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Haifisch posted:

Another good one is the NO MONEY DOWN!! ads. Who wouldn't want to be underwater from the start of the loan??

If you're not underwater at the start of a loan, then you're not in as good of a vehicle as you could be!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

This is amazing. If you asked 100 people on the street if you can lose more than you invest in the market, 99 of them would say 'no' so I can completely understand why this guy ended up getting screwed. He should lawyer up, though I'm not sure if it will make a lick of difference.

There's the long shot they can try to play the "your broker didn't gather the basic KYC information for his new client" and see if they can get wiggle room from the actual firm. Doubt it though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If it's for real a "broker" and not an "investment advisor" and the account isn't a retirement account then the broker doesn't have any "fiduciary" responsibilities to it outside of getting the KYC info. He said he's in Nevada, so unless they have a state law I'm not familiar with, I don't know if fiduciary responsibilities are going to come up at all. poo poo like this still pisses me off though. That broker should have let the kid know what investments were in that account because he's a professional and thats some basic client care.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I hope it works out for him. That's a really poo poo blow to be dealt along with losing your dad.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sundae posted:

There are also securities for natural catastrophe insurance (http://www.casact.org/community/affiliates/CANE/0912/Cat-Bond.pdf) and life insurance. I can't find the link on the second one, unfortunately, but yep, there is literally a way to gamble invest in whether or not a broad sect of the population lives or dies.

Check out slide twelve in that PDF for a taste of what it must feel like to be a sociopath with access to Powerpoint.

The life insurance part is called a viatical settlement. Basically you buy a chunk or all of the death benefit from a policy for less than the actual death benefit is worth and when they die you pocket the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hoodwinker posted:

This sounds like you're betting against the actuaries. That's amazing.

You're actually betting with them. It's the equivalent of JG Wentworth buying an annuity for pennies on the dollar from someone, but you're doing that to their paid up whole life contract. The offer is usually a little more than the cash value, but way less than the death benefit.