Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Strap in boys, I've got a bad one.

This poor guy wracked up a bunch of credit card debt because he didn't close some joint credit cards he had with his now exgirlfriend. She went on a spending spree, but since she was an authorized user of the card there's nothing to really be done about it since he never removed her. Can't file a fraud claim because it was her card on his account and she signed everything. Guy is just gonna have to take her to small claims court.

That's not the bad with money part, that's just the sad part (I mean it is, but not with this as well).

This guy rents a car at $1100 a month to drive Uber. His car broke down, he can't afford to fix it because he has tens of thousands of credit card debt he has to sue his ex over (all his cards are over the limit), and he can't get a new credit card to just toss the parts on because right now he's using more than 100% of his available credit and has missed a few payments by more than a month so has like a 400 credit score. He's barely making enough to pay rent and eat after the rental car is paid for and is nowhere near being able to make the minimum payments on his credit cards.

I'm assuming he used to have good credit because he has decent limits on his cards (he's got one with us with a $24k limit). I tried to explain to him that this isn't going to work and he's going to keep getting worse and worse in debt and that he has to change something because I can't just "stop" charging him interest to let him catch up.

There's more to it, but honestly the guy is good guy and is just dealing with some poo poo. Isn't listening to reason though because he refuses to quit Uber because then he'll be "unemployed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Shame you're not allowed to give him advice, because he seems like he needs a WFH job. Pizza Hut has a gig economy WFH pizza order taking call center type thing now. At least then he wouldn't have to spend $1100 a month on renting a car.

I can give little bits of advice, but I try to stay the hell out of people's poo poo because it can turn into "my bank told me that you were ripping me off!!!!!" real quick. I joke around with my friends that a lot of my job is listening to people vent about stuff, so I'm basically just a bartender in expensive shoes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Senor Dog posted:

You’d be surprised how expensive good restaurant industry shoes are

Most people would be surprised at how much money bartenders and waiters make at high end restaurants as well. Pulling in six figures after tips isn't out of the ordinary for them.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pimps will actually defend a territory and give the girls money to live. They're actually better than a MLM.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Volmarias posted:

They'll also beat their girls, rape them, and get them addicted to keep them in line, to say nothing of the actual organized sexual slavery rings.

A few bad apples...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I used see that scam at least a couple times a week. The worst are when people actually fall for it and then all of a sudden are on the hook for like a negative $2000 balance in their account with their direct deposit about to hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CornHolio posted:

Tesla cars, design-wise, are great. They're everything the big automakers were too afraid to try and have solid technology to back them up.

Unfortunately they're absolutely awful at building them in any kind of mass-production environment, so they're going to die real soon.

Maybe Ford or VW will buy out their patents or the company in general.