Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I will always roll over a 401k when I leave a company to the tsp and start over fresh at the new company. Love the tsp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I don't understand. I just do that because of management fees and a similar rate of return. I'm sure I'm leaving money on the table somewhere.

We had multiple guys take tsp loans in 2009 and pay them back at 1.5% interest over years.

They didn't, and may still not, understand what they were missing out on.

Not that anyone I worked with contributed more than the bare minimum for the match, and that was only after multiple finance offers trundled down to explain to them it was free money.

No Butt Stuff fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 5, 2017

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Independence-RV-Sales-%26-Svc%2C-Inc.-733884/listing/2017-Newmar-Dutch-Star-4369-120087036

439k for a used one. What a steal!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

go ahead and guess how much the inseminations that lead to that horse cost.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

A one time stud fee for last years winner was 200k.

Better hope it takes!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

loving no.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Noctone posted:

lol my brother's wife is in on one of these and it's literally called "It Works"

Gonna go out on a limb and say she's overweight.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My wife has 3 friends that all run in the same group of moms that all sell LuLaRoe.

I can't wait for this stupid fad to die.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'd say 50% of my wife's friends do some MLM crap.

I've been abrasive enough that they don't ask to hold parties at our house any more and my wife knows that any of her "support" for them comes out of the budget and she can get more bang for her buck just about anywhere else.

I just hate MLM so god damned much. If it was a good product, you wouldn't have to sell it in such a lovely manner.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

what a dummy

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

quote:

my mom

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Baby boomers! Soon they'll all be incapacitated and we'll be paying for their healthcare. It sure would be a shame if we just... didn't...

OR, they'll stay in any managerial role until they die and all of our careers will be stunted until they finally gently caress off this mortal coil.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Papa John Misty posted:

the offer is $35,000 (which is 135% of median salary for the position)

it's probably like a gs-04 or something lovely.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Better question: Would you be happy working at the lower end of the scale?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I will never work for a company that doesn't start health insurance immediately.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I can't tell if you're just loving with us or not

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's not really the government agency aspect of it. I think it is just a much smaller scale version of the NFL Player syndrome.

A lot of people in the administrative/clerical side of the agency came in as entry-level positions with high-school educations. They are chronically understaffed and underpaid, so they have huge turnover and it sucks working there. But if you stick it out for 10+ years then you can become a manager and make very good money for someone with just a HS degree (60k, pension, and benefits) without ever having real experience.

Once you get that relatively large pay upgrade that you never thought was happening + only having a high school education + general badness with money of most Americans + general badness with money that being poor for a long time teaches you = several dozen people who are primed to make awful mistakes.

That's not even getting into the general poor decisions/bad luck that happens to a lot of lower income people.

Having your office next to the HR/Benefits office is a terrifying experience. It's 50% BWM stories and 50% people fighting over FMLA requests.

I was a GS employee that was also a military member on a post with 500+ others. Even getting that GS job was enough for most people to start doing ridiculously stupid stuff with their money.

Probably half of the guys in my shop had project cars that they dumped money in. Over half had boats. They all needed trucks to haul the boats, and generally lived 45 miles from work on country highways so they could dump fuel in them. It wasn't unheard of for guys to end up taking leave because they couldn't afford to drive in to work until after payday. Some of these guys were WG-13s. In Mid-Missouri.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

quote:

Hey all, I just wanted to provide you with an update on FIANCE and I because I feel as if we have been absent from Facebook for some time. FIANCE and I are so fortunate to have met and connected with a successful couple while we were traveling. We were able to earn their mentorship and they are teaching us how to build an asset for ourselves. We have officially launched our own business, [removed]. If you visit our site, https://www.[removed].com, you will see that we have hundreds of products that not only provide you with a better quality life but will also make you a more conscious consumer. Although neither of us will be abandoning our passions within the Army and the fashion industry, we still felt it necessary to take this new step towards a better life. We would really appreciate everyone's support in this new journey and if you would like to learn more about earning the same opportunity we would love to tell you all about it.

It's Amway.

How does anyone get caught up in this? How do you not just google "Amway" and then tell whoever is recruiting you to gently caress off.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Guy is a company commander too.

You're supposed to have basic intelligence at that point. Instead all his soldiers will be buying sugar free shakes to drink in exchange for not having to call him "sir."

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Is there any feasible way to ban MLMs?

MLMs produce rich, out of touch donors who buy their way into cabinet positions, so probably no.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My wife got pretty sick and her aunt sent her Truvision "vitamins."

My wife is better now, but I still would like to throttle her stupid loving aunt.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I was gonna make a joke about service ferrets, but apparently those are real things?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

this whole thread is all bird, all the time

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

But are you going to pay it?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Weatherman posted:

Why is it every American child's dream to "be a CEO" these days? Why is every manchild working out of Starbucks or their friend's bedroom a "chief something or other"?

I would have thought a more concrete dream like "own my own _____ company" or "create the world's best ______" would be the sort of thing people aim for, instead of a meaningless title. Do people dream of being middle managers as well?

Because it's basically a way to say "I want to be rich, and even if things go tits up, end up with millions more dollars."

None of them actually give a poo poo about doing the job.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Wanna drop this in the local mom's facebook group like a grenade.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

This thread is depressing.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I don't think the guy with the live in girlfriend is an incel...

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Man, SA is really demographically weird. I don't have much use for Snapchat but I know what it is. I know what lots of things I don't use are.

Pretty much everyone in my office uses snapchat.

I don't but that's because I'm boring as hell and I don't really care about yet another way to see their food pictures.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The comments... Jesus.

If your finances are separate, they're separate.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

He could be dumping more of it back into the business, or just have expenses and she read something incorrectly.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I like how we're all making assumptions from our own points of view given the limited amount of information we have and will probably have a nasty argument soon.

e: gonna be like a christmas vacation with the in-laws.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

therobit posted:

I think 50/50 is fair if that's what they agreed upon, especially since they are not married and don't have merged finances. The rest of it is a little wierd and he shouldn't be lying about being hard up.

I don't know why people share finances if they aren't married or why they get married if they won't share finances.

Marriage is a weird institution that people find very different utility in.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

There were guys in my National Guard unit who were also full time that would tell their SOs that they didn't get paid for drill, and would just use that money to go gently caress around or go drinking.

Actually, they're both divorced now sooooo

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Mod is on vacay, the derails will play

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Now the guillotine... Is that a one time thing? If I make it past the nationwide axing, and then I make over 100k in a year, does that mean I get a pass?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I don't think you can withdraw your steam balance. I wouldn't think it would taxable since you're basically selling stuff for a digital currency that you can buy games or other stupid poo poo with.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

He's probably not wrong.

Hard to spend money at the bar when you're poopsocking your mage to 110.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

What do you suppose this thread's response would be if someone posted "I consigned for a loan and I want to stop paying it"?

I went back and re-read the post and I don't understand who, if anyone, co-signed loans.

Are they Parents PLUS loans or something? If they are, would she have co-signed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Right but all her language suggests that's not the case.

Must be nice to have your parents pay for any of your school.