Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Vox Nihili posted:

78 hours a week and mandatory international travel. 15 years of experience and a very specific degree required, plus you're expected to be some sort of quasi-body guard. If anything, 100k is on the low side.

If this was a few years ago, when the pound was still like 1.5 dollars, I would say it's close to appropriate. With today's rate I would say that is def too low. Add like $25-50K on that. Burnout rate is going to be high though with that many hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

mojo1701a posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this one. Why, indeed?

I always love people who think the absolute free market means they get to do whatever they want and it all works exactly as planned, and not that they will be ground into dust by all the cutthroats around them.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Photex posted:

This is a borderline on topic post, but it has horses

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/775rjo/me_20_m_my_sister_26_f_is_obsessed_with_horses/

quote:

I live at home currently, with my mother [54] and my sister. Aswell as my handicapped aunt who stays at our house every month and then moves to my other aunt.
So yeah my mother has money issues, at home. My sister was gifted two horses at a young age because she is obsessed with it. Even though we don't have enough space for them to hold or the money. It's been around 10 years we live in this crap.
My sister first tried to force her fandom onto me when I was young. She manipulated my mother into forcing me to learn to horse ride. Made me buy equipment and stuff. She even went out to buy me a horse which I didn't even ask for and blames me now that I don't look after it. I couldn't give it away since it is on my mother's name, I'm not really the rightful owner.
Now so far, I've managed to cope with her behavior. But lately my mother inherited some money and she is trying to manipulate my mother into giving it to her. Not even share it with me.
She manipulates everyone in my surroundings to think I'm the bad guy first so no one thinks that she is the real slimy scumbag azing after my mother's cash. She lies all the time lately. She even stated she overheard me begging to my mom to buy me a brand new car even though I haven't said such thing. i told my mother the first thing she should do with her money is go on a vacation on her own, without the issues and troubles at home.
I don't give a crap what she does with her money. For all I care she spends it all. I only wish if she would repay my money I borrowed her 3 years ago so I could have an eye surgery to repair my damaged eyes.
My sister at the same time is looking for houses with lots of stables for my mom to buy, or she's looking for a big car and van to move her horses around, or she is looking to build nice stables on our lot.
She's angry that I talk my mother out of it. Often twisting the story when confronted into trying to blame me for something. It's tiresome and frustrating. Everytime she gets confronted she changes subject to that one time I forgot to close the door and that she got mad for example. You can't really argument with her because she starts yelling, crying, telling she's going to kill herself, etc...
Lately though I've began to worry because we had a brochure of a company that deals in building stables and other horse furnishing in the mail. I asked my sister if she had anything to do with this but she just acted like her nose bled. Now my mother showed me a letter that came with it that she tried to hide stating the order was done in my mother's name even though she didn't ask for it at all...
I don't know what the gently caress to do with this anymore. I'm beyond pissed off at the moment. My mother is a very naive person that is easily manipulated because of her traumatic background and here my sister is just taking advantage of it for the loving scumbag she is. I wasn't supposed to tell my dad about this inheritage, at first I didn't know why but now it's clear that my sister is trying to not hurt her image as daddy's little princess (I don't really come on good terms with my father like my sister because of it)
tl;dr: Sister is absolutely obsessed with horses, tries to manipulate my mother into giving her inheritance to her for her horses

I really hope that English is not this person's native tongue because the way she wrote this is really confusing. I still don't understand how her sister forced her to buy horse riding gear when she was young. Do 10 year olds (or whatever age she was) really have the money to pay for saddles and what not? I also have not clue what she's saying in that second bolded part. Why would she lend money to her mom for her own eye surgery?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Would something like this actually make the US government do something about bitcoin? Could the government essentially ban all banks and businesses from handling cryptocurrency? Even if they could, I kind of doubt our current government would actually do anything though.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Drunk Tomato posted:

From Reddit, the font of infinite content...

I gross almost $13,000/month and it seems like I rarely have any money.

You would think I could "make it rain" with my salary but I can't. When people hear how much I make, they think I'm super rich. We live in a modest home, I drive a modest truck. The wife has a SUV. In reality, I get about half of that money because

A. Taxes are a bitch

B. I put 15% into my 401K

C. My family insurance is $800/month

You can also add $1,400/month for child support because I was married before and had two children. I remarried to a woman who had a child from a previous marriage whom I adopted, and we have two together. Our mortgage+home insurance is $1,400. My wife's vehicle note is $700. Luckily mine is paid off. Private school tuition for 2 kids is $1,000/month. Add in food, electricity, cell phones, car insurance and other odds and ends(soccer, dance), we're lucky to have a couple hundred dollars left over. We rarely eat out, don't have all the latest gadgets. Wife stays at home with the baby so she's unable to work(and daycare costs are outrageous).

I don't know why I'm posting this. I guess to vent. Maybe someone could point me in any direction, or words of encouragement?

Isn't the 401k limit $18,000 per year? That's what google tells me. 15% of $13,000 is $23,400 for the year, so that's $5,400 I just saved this guy. Unless he's counting 401k plus Roth IRA, I think that would cover both. Again though, if his employer matches anything at all into his 401k, he could be putting in less money per month. He may actually be hurting himself there. I had a boss who was trying to max out his 401k and was dumping tons of money in per paycheck. Our employer did a match, and would deposit money every month. My boss reached the limit in November. Well once you reach your limit, the employer also can't match anything, so he lost out on some matching money. Our employer also gave out 401k bonuses, but if you hit your limit, you couldn't take that money either.

Private school tuition at $500 per month per kid is a steal too.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

According to a quick google, employer contribution doesn't count against the limit until you reach the "combined employer and employee limit" of 53,000. You could approach it if you make a dickload of money and do an after-tax 401k instead of a before -tax one.

Ok I didn’t know that. The thing I described happened to my boss like 12 years ago so I could be misremembering or it was just different back then. He definitely didn’t make enough to be putting that much into his 401k.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

His line item for one car is $700. He calls it a modest SUV. There’s some prime content there. Either he’s getting a terrible interest rate, somehow rolled over negative equity with that income, thinks $50,000 is “modest,” or is paying it on a really short term loan. I guess that last one isn’t prime content, just more eye rolling.

A $25,000 loan at 2% for 3 years is a little over $700 a month, so that could be right. Just another thing to eye roll at though because in a few years he will have a completely paid off car that will likely still be good for another 6-7 years unless his wife drives a ton.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Oh good you did the work for me.

I was going to say, $1,000 is a huge amount of money for a lot of people, especially when it's $1,000 down the drain, not for getting anything actually substantial. I think if my wife pulled something like that I would just outright cancel the vacation.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Really the parents should just kill the kids so they never have to worry about it again. Plus kids are definitely BWM.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Suspicious Lump posted:

The guy is BWM even in his early days

How the gently caress do you feed 400 people and NOT make a profit at a food market?

A lot of those conventions and what not are more treated as advertising I think. I have a few friends who did the craft fair thing a lot and usually they were happy just to break even. They mostly did it as a way to get people to go to their Etsy shop. The cost to rent a table at those things is just usually too high to make it back. The guy definitely hosed up his pricing though. The whole thing is the classic failed restaurant story. I've had people tell me I should start a food truck or something and just a quick check of the numbers makes it look like a terrible idea, and this guy was the worst money manager in the world. Still not sure if his line about people willing to travel to his shop to get the thrice-cooked chips was earnest or not.

On the upside, he will be paying for this mistake for literally the rest of his life. He hosed over his own retirement so hard, he'll probably be working until he dies.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Devian666 posted:

WTF did he spend $117k on without his w

[quote="Devian666" post="478137770"]
WTF did he spend $117k on without his wife noticing?

No kidding. I’m a little confused if it’s $83k in credit card debt, or that’s just how much he spent. I also can’t figure out what the hell she means by $25k in legitimate CC debt.

They also bought a house with almost no money down, so it’s obvious that even though she was in charge of the finances, they were still no great at saving money.

Edit: their income is $6,810 a month net, but they make a combined $15,580 gross. Something is hosed up here.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 7, 2017

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

KingSlime posted:

Lol yep my friend's in-laws pay his rent because their daughter married a fragile little man who literally told me that effort feels like "being zapped by an electric shock," and in science experiments the rat learns to stay away so

This conversation just happened two hours ago and my blood pressure is through the roof, I'm speechless and am giving up on offering any type of advice or helping hand

His wife just got her first job in her field making a slim 30k, at least she can help her parents in supporting the embarrassment of a human that my once competent friend has morphed into

I'm always amazed at how someone this worthless can find someone to marry them and support them.

For the greedy step-daughter one, she better at least come back into the fold because grandfather is probably still good for gifts for the grandkids. Incredibly lovely to just assume that your dad is going to pay for your kids' education, but if dad paid for everything growing up, that entitlement was definitely trained into her.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

baquerd posted:

Look, someone blowing a third base starting point because they came from a poor upbringing and have no idea how to do finance! I think perhaps they are sufficiently not-poor enough to make fun of, but who knows?

https://www.learnvest.com/2014/09/from-trust-fund-kid-to-average-joe-what-blowing-a-250k-inheritance-taught-me

quote:

Not wanting to drop out, I reached out to my father for help. I received an icy reaction from my dad, who was disappointed in how I’d mismanaged my money. While he didn’t know all the details, he caught the gist: I’d blown through nearly a quarter of a million dollars.

Dad here is the ultimate BWM. Mom dies when the kid is 8, dad apparently spends very little of that time raising the child since he mentions that he was always distant from dad. Drops a bombshell on his son right before his 18th birthday with apparently no advice whatsoever, and then is disappointed when the obvious thing happens. Dude could probably have milked his son for a long time since he apparently needed the money too, borrowing $10k from his 18 year old son. Either way, dad completely failed his son. I guarantee that most 18 year olds when handed a huge wad of cash are going to blow it in hilarious ways. At least the guy ended up paying for most of his college with it.

I wish I knew the guy, I'm also from the NW Chicago burbs, and got out of college in 2003, so he is probably one to two years older than me at most. I had a ton of friends at Purdue and NIU too, but I can't remember anyone in this situation.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

For the gifting house one, at most I would consider letting them live there rent free for a while. gently caress giving up the entire house though, that's insane. They're already giving her super cheap rent. The only only other way I would say it's ok to give up the house is if these people are stupidly wealthy. She mentions they make more than the sister-in-law, and have decent savings, but she doesn't say how much. If they're sitting on $1 million, and this is some $150k house, then maybe I could see it.

I'm assuming they're still making mortgage payments on the house, I don't think I saw where it was paid off. Is SIL going to take over the mortgage payments?

totalnewbie posted:

Real talk, is 6% considered a "low" interest rate these days for student loans? Honest question.

About to get a mortgage @ 3.875 and it's making me cringe, though after it closes I'm going to swing by the long term investing forum because I think I'm better off aggressive contributing to a 401k than paying ahead on my mortgage. But that's for that thread.

BWM: buying a house

Are you cringing at 3.875% because you think that's high? We're at historic lows in mortgage interest rates.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

They're probably buying poo poo so they can get credit card points / cash back, since that's tax free*.

*because nobody declares them.

I believe some people were doing this by buying special coins or something from the Treasury. I swear I remember a story of people buying rolls of coins with their credit card to get the cashback, and then just taking the coins to the bank and depositing them. It was essentially a low cost way to get 1-2% earnings through your credit card.

edit: https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/mint-closes-loophole-ends-credit-card-coin-sales-frequent-flyer-flier-miles-1263.php

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea, I found it odd that the mint we ever accept a credit card to pay for legal tender, what is the incentive here? In my search for that article I found this too

https://millionmilesecrets.com/2015/08/28/us-mint-deal-is-back/

Where he debates buying coins from a bar coin machine with his credit card. He does decide at the end it isn't worth it, but the whole thing makes me wonder how much time these people put into getting 1-2% cash back on their credit cards. There is almost no way it really pays out enough to make it worthwhile.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Mourne posted:

Could you please elaborate on this a bit more? I'm not trying to troll, or be a prick (check my rap sheet), I just must be one of the individuals who doesn't understand 'the tremendous amount of privilege it takes to be "months away from being homeless"'. I mean, sure, I can understand how medical bills from catastrophic accidents or very dire long-term health conditions could bankrupt you and your family. I know over half of all personal bankruptcies in America are caused by medical bills, but to say a sizable portion of the US population (let's arbitrarily say 40%) is at risk of homelessness within a few weeks or a month seems exaggerated at best, and blatantly untrue at worst.

I'm certainly open to changing my opinion, would you be willing to spend a few moments to gather some citations and explain your position in greater detail?

They may be getting at that right now around 57% of Americans have less than $1,000 saved. That would mean losing your job would likely mean not making rent the next month, so managing to have enough to go a few months would seem "privileged". I think that's an exaggeration though because there are tons of people out there with no jobs getting by on just enough various welfare programs to not be homeless. There are over 500,000 homeless people in the US at any given time, while around 83,000 people are considered chronically homeless, which is still a small percentage of the US. I would not consider being just above homelessness privileged, unless we're going to consider being homeless the absolute baseline of economic status and everyone above that is privileged somehow.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea, I'm assuming this friend is incapable of paying this guy back. My guess is he invested $200k in his friend's business and it immediately went belly up. Jesus, I could never imagine giving anyone essentially all of my savings for anything.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

College sports are normally BWM for the college. You can see a list of revenues/expenses for essentially all Division 1 colleges here:
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

It makes money for roughly the top 25 of earning schools, but almost all other schools spend more than they take in. There's a little bit of funny money in all of this because some expenses are just for things going right back to the university, but there's also sports revenue that comes from things like student fees, so it's back and forth. Most sports revenue though is a combo of TV, merchandising, and ticket sales. The only sports that really make money are football and men's basketball. Those two sports generally support all of the other sports like volleyball, gymnastics, wrestling, etc. Those always lose money.

Sports though, are treated like marketing for the university, and it's why some schools make a push to go from Division II up to Div. I because it means more exposure. There's some articles out there that show when smaller schools do well in March Madness, their enrollment goes way up. As mentioned, it's also a good way to get donors to give money to the university.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

A lot of private schools are not listed. The amount of scholarships that Butler had to offer to fill enrollment dropped significantly after they hit the final four twice. The marketing part is not insignificant and students expect some sort of successful sport program they can attend and yell at as part of the experience.

Yea, sorry should have specified this is public schools only because that information is available. Private schools normally don't open their books like that.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

It continues to boggle my mind every single year why major division collegiate athletic booster associations are allowed to operate as nonprofit organizations while selling a commercial entertainment product to the public, receiving commercial revenue from TV contracts and advertising, and paying coaches and administrators and millions in salaries and benefits. If only the rest of the world worked like this, where you could donate some fraction of your organizational revenues to something unprofitable like women's sports and a couple million dollars to a university general fund or scholarship fund and be considered a nonprofit.

Honestly, tons of things are considered non-profit that really shouldn't be. The sports programs, if they make money, usually just pour that money back into the university. Since most universities receive a fair amount of tax-payer dollars anyway, it's kind of pointless to tax them. Hell, the NFL was recently considered non-profit (just the league office, not the individual teams).

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Probably Ben Sherman. It's pretty popular with anti-racist skins.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Audax posted:

Buy a loving 2004 Ford focus you idiot Jesus Christ

No kidding, although that's what most of Reddit is telling this guy. This is the perfect situation to go buy a beater car for like $5k, and keep minimum insurance on it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I'm amazed at how many people still believe in gold. The price has been fairly flat for the last few years. People still think that huge rise from 2009-2012 is going to happen again I guess?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

metallicaeg posted:

I'm not a libergoldian in any fashion, but you had a +50% gain over the past 10 years, so if I were being handed a $10k lump of cash, bonds, bitcoin, or gold, well, you might as well call me Auric.

Yea, but there’s no real guarantee that gold will go back up. It’s simply gone up from speculation. If you started your 10 years back in 2012, you would be in the negative right now. I know gold has some industrial uses and the obvious jewelry, but it’s price usually doesn’t have that much relation to actual supply/demand. It’s not something I would put a 10 year bet on I guess.

Of the options given, I would go Treasury bonds every time, even though it’s barely above inflation right now. I’m not exactly a high risk guy though.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Buying a car worth more than your entire yearly gross income combined, yowza. How did he even get approved for that loan? Even though he's underwater, he's probably still best trying to sell it and get something cheaper used, but that is tough.

Had a lot of coworkers talking about bitcoin yesterday, so that was fun. Had someone mention that a guy they know thinks he will have enough money for even his great grandkids. I hope he sells now before he gets stuck with worthless funny money. What do I know though, this thing might hit $25k.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Inept posted:

This isn't D&D, shut up

Yeah a flipping business using credit cards, that won't explode spectacularly.

Didn't the housing bubble finally burst in Ontario too? I guess it depends which part of Ontario though.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

canyoneer posted:

There's a neat podcast called Side Hustle School where the guy goes over a bunch of reader submitted (and verified) side hustle ideas that they did to make money.
Some of the hustles have had goon threads in the past, like SEO/blogs for bucks, dropshipping, writing ebooks, and online voiceover work.
The point is that it's fun enough or profitable enough to be worth it as a second income stream. There were some really neat ones in there, like a construction worker who is also an aquarium enthusiast. He put up a blog over a weekend reviewing a bunch of fishtanks from Amazon giving suggestions for aspiring fish hobbyists, and it pulls in $3k/month in amazon affiliate link traffic. Pretty neat stuff.

Apparently doing very specific online reviews can be crazy profitable. Listened to something on NPR maybe a month ago about mattress review websites. They were getting like a couple hundred dollars for each mattress sale from the affiliate links. It ended up being a job that paid these few guys like $100-$200k a year, just for reviewing various mattresses.

Edit: Actual BWM, I was visiting Anchorage and went to a weekend market. Lots of vendors, local crafts, food vendors, etc. The BWM part was seeing two different LuLaRoe vendors set up like four tents away from each other.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 19, 2017

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Midjack posted:

"Getting sick or hurt is extremely bad with money" is the message I'm hearing here.

The hundreds of thousands of people declaring bankruptcy each year because of medical bills would agree with you.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sirotan posted:

I clicked on this thinking it was a for some poor kid....holy poo poo

Let's see, we can raise money to try to extend a dog's life for maybe 6 months, or we can feed and house like four homeless people for a year. Money well spent I say.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Snake oil salesmen never die, they just adapt. No matter how much info there is on the internet, there will always be someone dumb enough to buy your shills. People are dumb, and this is a good example of why rich people are usually just lucky, not super smart.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's not like being a notary is super special, but it would help with some jobs. I know banks have a lot of notaries, also helps with any sort of office assistant or bookkeeper type jobs.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Hoodwinker posted:

Yeah I super agree that our legal system is far from perfect and our prison system is hosed, but it shouldn't be a great leap to imagine why private consumer lending companies might not feel inclined to lend to people with a prison address.

Just start accepting payment in toilet wine and you'll be ok.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Being in prison, or having family in prison is definitely BWM. The states generally let companies monopolize various prison economies, so the commissary, phone calls, various other things that can be legally bought in prison are marked up like 10x what they are normally.

Unrelated, but bitcoin is down over 20% today. Good times.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Puseklepp posted:

What do you mean by this part? How can you bet on the price going down in a market? And how would it lead to liquidation?

I get the part about margin calls and how he lost money when the price dropped but now how he lost money when the price increased.

Someone might explain this better than me, but a short is betting on the price going down. You borrow some shares, or bitcoins in this case, with the promise to pay them back at a later date, sometimes at the end of the day. If the price goes down then you make money. For example:

Borrow 100 BTC and sell them immediately at $18/each - $1,800 total
Price goes down to $16
You give back the 100 BTC, but now it only costs you $1,600 to buy them, and you make $200 on the difference.

Problem becomes if the price goes up. Same scenario, but the price goes from $18 up to $21. Now when you give back the BTC, it costs you $300. Take that number and add a bunch of zeroes to it, and you can see how someone can get in real trouble.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I sadly fell for an MLM scheme back in college. It was Amway, but online, I actually forget what it was called. This would have been 1999, so really riding the dot com wave. Cost me $100 to get in, but it was buying $100 worth of stuff from the online store, mostly household goods like detergent, or clothes. I guess it didn’t really cost me anything because I needed that stuff anyway. Did end up sitting through a couple seminars. I should have known better because those seminars were terribly dumb.

God I was a stupid college freshman. I managed to catch on how dumb this was once I attempted to get a friend into it too. I am still ashamed of it, and I never mention it to anyone I know in real life.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

In what I can only assume is BWM, there is a billboard on my way home from work that just says BLOCKCHAIN? with a phone number below it. I wish I could get a picture, but that's hard to do driving by yourself and going 70 on the highway. There's a website listed too, but it's way smaller than the number and I can never make out what it is. Lord only knows what the hell that is for.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

No one should have children, they're BWM. Unless they become rich, then they're GWM (as long as you don't do something terrible to them and they decide to cut you out of their lives).

More on topic, the trucker can't afford that $3.5k laptop even if he had a job, jesus.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

DJCobol posted:

Oh god please no.

BWM: paying over $3k for dialup service that you didn't use for the last 10 years:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5pk94w/my_dad_just_figured_out_hes_been_paying_30month/?st=jd5zq1qc&sh=f3936b9c

Wouldn't his credit card have expired sometime in the last 10 years? That would have stopped those auto payments pretty quick. I just got a new credit card, and I forgot how annoying it is to go to all these things that get charged to my CC every month and get them updated.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

IANAL, but I would think a less blatantly obvious scam would be:

Brothers collectively pay soon to be divorced husband $40k, or something like that, not too big, but not stupidly small, as a buyout from the original company.
Husband gets divorce, agrees to give wife half, so $20k.
Husband buys back in at $40k, and just sucks up that he is losing $20k with the divorce.

It would be undervaluing the worth of the company by a lot, considering he might be getting a $500k-$1.25 million buyout in the future, but at least it's not super obvious what they are trying to pull, and you can at least more easily argue that $40k is what they thought his share was worth at the time. $40k could be whatever number though, just picking a number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Ashcans posted:

It's really weird to me how many 'articles' are just a YouTube clip or forum post, or better yet a handful of embedded tweets.

I guess that's GWM because you save on actually creating content

I’m glad I’m not the only one annoyed by this. They don’t even attempt to talk to the person about it, it’s just lifting snippets from reddit. I hate new “journalism”.