Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
After going through multiple rounds of the Amazon royalty decreases on their self-publishing platform and watching so many of my author buddies either have to go back to day jobs or straight up go bankrupt, I actually sympathize with the streamers getting their revenue slashed so hard by Google. Anything in digital distribution is a risky business when you rely on opaque revenue streams dictated by only one party, but seeing your dream job dry up overnight must seriously gut you. :(

quote:

I kind of want to have a conversation with a Youtube or Twitch star in the 20's or 30's and ask them what they assume their career trajectory is going to look like over the next 30 years.

Are they just gambling that Call of Duty will persist for 30 years, Call of Duty Youtube channels will persist for 30 years, and their specific channel will persist with the same monetization and growth rate for 30 years?

I think the intended trajectory is "make hay while the sun shines" and eventually hit it big while stashing away as much as you can. CoD won't stay big forever, but the next big (whatever) will come along, whether it's on YouTube or another streaming service. If the streamers have any sense at all, I'd expect that they can see where trends are going in gaming and adjust accordingly. I guess the big risk is whether paid streaming exists as a valid revenue stream at all in the foreseeable future -- that's the part they have no control over and can't really react to apart from saving, producing as many videos as possible ASAP, and finding secondary (primary?) employment.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

moana posted:

Yup, that was my plan! It sucks to see more and more of the profits sucked up by Amazon and Facebook as they adjust their payouts.

I can't tell you how many fellow authors I've given advice to that they shouldn't count on their six-figure income to continue indefinitely. One of my close author friends (Sundae, you'll know who this is) ended up buying this huge huge house in a HCOL area. Only she's single, in her early twenties, and had absolutely no use for a giant house. As soon as she bought it, she ended up spending thousands on furniture, fixing things around the house that needed fixing. And PUTTING ON AN ADDITION TO THE ALREADY HUGE HOUSE. This girl had two Roombas for her giant house that she lived in alone.

And then Amazon crashed, and her books never recovered the same amount of popularity. I'm guessing she'll have to sell the house soon, and all I can do is shake my head and try not to say I told you so.

:( I wasn't aware that happened to her. Sorry to hear that!

I was looking at a few of the others who just settled out bankruptcy after they got too expensive for their own good, assumed the gravy train would never end, etc. It's really sad to watch it happen, though.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I've never seen a company do that. It wouldn't be surprising if they just said "no" and let the offer stand at the original salary (and moved on to the next choice if he said no), but moving on from what was presumably their first choice because he deigned to ask for more money is ridiculous on their part.

There are a lot of lovely companies out there. I've been offered an interview and then rejected in the next e-mail because I asked a question about the interview. Company wanted me across the country the next morning for an interview. I e-mailed back asking if they had a travel coordinator or site I should use to book the travel. Next response was a rescinded interview / rejection about an hour later. The only (non-rear end in a top hat) thing I can think of is that maybe they screwed up and thought I was a local candidate, then rejected once they realized they'd asked someone to fly out to OR from CT on less than a day's notice.

quote:

See: the owner also regularly reads everyone's email. That's a huge red flag.

This is awful. Also in general, gently caress small businesses. I'll take big, impersonal corporations over lovely little fiefdoms any day.

quote:

Why did you decide to inject race and gender into the discussion?

She's right, though.

Edit:

VVVVV I caught the ninja edit and laughed. I imagine the thought process: "Don't trust boomers on employment." Wait... edit... "on employment and spending." No... gently caress it. "anything." "Don't trust boomers. They want your organs."

Sundae fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 9, 2017

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Bad With Money 2.0: Don't Trust Boomers. They Want Your Organs.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
BWM: Buying a big tray of strawberries from the farmers' market in the morning and having them go bad by dinnertime. :(

M(ore)BWM: Being my co-worker who bought a VR setup, then left it sitting out where her cat chewed through the cables overnight. :suicide:

quote:

There are places that sell the imperfect produce that the major chains turn away. That stuff is usually super-cheap.

Is there a name for these sorts of places? "Supermarkets with ugly food :haw:" doesn't seem like a good search string, and I'd love to find one in the bay area where I live a BWM life.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Ornamented Death posted:

I don't think there are any chains that do it, or nothing larger than a local chain anyhow. But you're in the Bay area, just google "imperfect produce Bay Area" and you should find something.

I have no idea if their prices are actually cheap, it was just the first Google result!

That's incredibly cheap compared to grocery chains in my area. Thanks! (Like, 80% off cheap.)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

I wonder what her plan b for not being allowed to do science ever again is?

Gonna go with: "Already be wealthy and have plenty of inherited bucks to fall back on."

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I'm sure you're being half facetious half serious but a $100-200B tax hike almost exclusively applied to high earners to pay for something they almost exclusively don't need is probably a political non starter. A sales or VAT is in my opinion a more likely (but still pretty unlikely) option.

Either one needs a 2/3 majority vote to pass, so we can count on neither option passing. gently caress you, Norquist. :(

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'd be content with: (1) Make it not apply to commercial property (AKA the "Why is my apartment complex not paying taxes?" clause), and (2) Let it only apply to your primary residence and not to those four other houses your family bought in the 70s that you rent out for $6,000 a month each now.

Edit:

One appraisal limitation for each derailhouse, but they can pay up for any others. Or get rid of it entirely, but gimme my unicorn and ferrari while we're at it.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 2, 2017

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

If you bought them in the 70s, are you still paying any mortgage interest on them?

But no, don't settle for anything but outright removal.

Oops, sorry - I was referring to the previous Prop 13 derail, not the Mortgage Interest Deduction one. Apologies.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Ornamented Death posted:

Hell, if I'm not mistaken, those particular types of engineers don't even have their own separate PE exam - they have to take the electrical engineer version.

When I graduated, the rule was that they can take any version they like as long as they pass one, if the test doesn't exist for the major itself. You'd do the E.I.T exam (FE test) and then work under a PE for however many years until you're eligible for the PE exam. That's actually where it broke down for me; there was no biomedical engineering FE exam so I took the ChemE one, and then I discovered that basically nobody has a PE in the pharma industry, so I never had anyone to work under in a relevant capacity. 11 years later, I remain at 0 eligible years of work experience toward my PE. :haw:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hoodwinker posted:

They absolutely will.

There are also securities for natural catastrophe insurance (http://www.casact.org/community/affiliates/CANE/0912/Cat-Bond.pdf) and life insurance. I can't find the link on the second one, unfortunately, but yep, there is literally a way to gamble invest in whether or not a broad sect of the population lives or dies.

Check out slide twelve in that PDF for a taste of what it must feel like to be a sociopath with access to Powerpoint.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

The life insurance part is called a viatical settlement. Basically you buy a chunk or all of the death benefit from a policy for less than the actual death benefit is worth and when they die you pocket the difference.

I was actually referring to when you take these settlements, bundle them all into securities, and then sell them to other investors. :haw:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/06/business/06insurance.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1252508717-spzSimS+jh

Either way, it's disgusting.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

hailthefish posted:

Trailer parks usually involve the park itself owning the land, which the residents lease to put their trailers on, so it can definitely be similar to a HOA.

Yep. This is what stopped me from getting a trailer myself. You still pay $1,500-2,000 a month in land rent plus all the same requirements / restrictions exist that you'd get living in an apartment, except now when you're evicted to build luxury condos, you have to find a way to relocate / store your trailer too.

Yes, bay area trailer park land rent seriously runs that much.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Craptacular posted:

BWM: lose your private street due to an unpaid tax bill
GWM: buy that street in an auction

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Rich-SF-residents-get-a-shock-Someone-bought-11738236.php

This makes me so unbelievably happy I don't know what I'm feeling anymore.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

crazypeltast52 posted:

Please take all of our personal data and don't steal it. Kthxbai

I wonder if they work with Sundae?

I posted the job opening. :ssh:

(kill me if I do that)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Also, who the hell are "The Christophers"?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Article courtesy of Hookshot in the Canadian Housing Bubble Thread over in D&D...

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/too-much-creditcard-balance-need-advice-2112548/

Too much creditcard balance,Need advice posted:

I have about 10 credit cards and carry balance about $150,000 and spouse have about 4 credit card and carry balance $50,000.Total credit card balance me and spouse about :siren:$200,000.:siren:
Car loan: I pay $188 bi weekely for my 2015 honda ( i bought it dec.2014)

Too much credit card balance because our expenses more than our income.

My anual income $30,000 and spouse anual income $29,000
My relative send me money from overseas every month about $100
Me and spouse make like minimum wage from work.
we have 3 kids.( 1 kid born with autism,i take care of him when i'm home, thats why i didn't do 2nd work)

Our detached house value about $800,000
Our mortgage balance now $371,000

Our mortgage renewal date nov.2017

we are sinking in debt now.
My spouse complain me about bought too much junk .Too many desktop, too many laptops, too many electronics ....
I will sell my items on kijiii

So far, i didn't miss any payment.

I just keep paying minimum payment all credit cards. I didn't miss any mortgage payment.

I did transunion credit score check today, My credit score 598 , my spouse credit score 577

I already talked to a bank, they say , our income low, they can't combine credit cards balance to mortgage.But they will consider give loan with one payment and cancell all credit card. Bank say, minimum credit score 650 and higher income need to combine to mortgage.

My bank mortgage renewal date is Nov. 2017
I hope, Bank renew my mortgage.

My question :

Can i get a weekend job and extra afternoon job and keep pay the credit card balance slowly?

or

sell the house and buy a condo?

or

Can i refinance (consolidate) my mortgage and credit card balance with high interest rate with mortgage broker (B lender) ? ( i guess bank won't help us because low income, low credit score).

(Note: We bought this house year 2001 , For $247,000 . We got mortgage from td bank and my down payment $80,000.
Then, after few years we had credit card balance problem , then we switched (refinance) mortgage with rbc $280,000
Then after few years , credit card balance problem again, refinance mortgage with rbc $400,00 (now balance 371,000)
Now, we have credit card balance problem again, Now house value about 800.000)

How do you even get $200,000 in debt on credit cards? If he really has the house value he thinks he has (depending on which bullshit market in Canada, it's possible) he could sell that and fix the finances, but HOLY GOD, I have panic attacks at the thought of getting anywhere near that level of debt.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

On the other hand:

"Health Insurance: I am currently uninsured, but it typically costs $400/month and up for private insurance."

This seems kind of like a questionable decision for a brothel worker, legal or not.

e: and then I read the rest of it, and yeah

I'm curious what an insurance company would charge you if you said you were a brothel worker.

quote:

How can we possibly win?

You can't unless you got lucky and guessed the right major / landed some amazing job. Even then, it depends heavily on where that job is located.

On a boomer-related topic (I have to see if I can find these again to share), there were a series of two op-eds in my town's paper from the same guy this year... first one bitching about changing (ethnic) demographics and young people not having enough kids, and then the same guy bitching in another one months later about how the town library should close the children's programs and stop spending money on the Teen Center and tutoring programs because now the library is full of noisy children. Libraries, of course, should be dedicated only to elderly people apparently, and gently caress him having to spend a penny of his taxes on children's books or something? Meanwhile from my perspective, it's one of the best loving libraries I've ever seen for exactly all the reasons he hates it. I go in and see study rooms full of HS students working on homework, a little computer center with kids playing minecraft, toddlers sitting for reading time with volunteer parents, etc etc.

I see that and say "gently caress yeah, this is awesome." So of course, we should burn it to the ground I guess.

Actual Content...

Hey guys, I agreed to a nearly undocumented Bitcoin investment scheme with my ex's psychotic brother. posted:

Back earlier in the year, my ex's brother was in and out of the psych ward. I would visit him, just to keep him company, make sure he's doing alright, regular stuff. One visit, he proposes that he would give me bitcoin (initially asked me to take 15 BTC) from his business account to invest and then give him cash once he got out. I was uncomfortable handling so much money, but I was stupid and thought that I could perhaps make something out of it, so I said that we would begin with 6 BTC. He gave me all of the information needed to withdraw the bitcoin. Fast forward to now. The bitcoin is gone. I've been doing my best to pay him back, but it spiked heavily. We agreed that 20% on top of the initial lending was fair, meaning the total amount came out to a bit over $10,000. I've been doing my best to pay him back over the past 6-7 months. I've payed back almost 2,000. One month ago, he said that any amount not paid back by the end of the year would have interest accrued to it. Now he is threatening legal action if I am unable to come up with $9,000 by the end of the year. He suggested I consult a lawyer if I'm not prepared to (I'm not. Unemployed, talking to the bank currently about a loan).

There is no official paperwork, only facebook messages. He's saying that I stole from a business account while he was in the hospital, which is untrue seeing how he asked me to do all of this and gave me all the information needed. I never coerced or asked him to do any of this. It's a very scary situation. Does he have a case? I'm currently trying to convince him how poor of an idea this is if his goal is to recoup his losses as quickly as possible.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7dy2o2/was_lent_btc_while_it_was_low_now_being/

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

In this one-time opportunity, you can pay $158.61 (or more) real moneys to learn all about why you should embrace the coming era of internet quatloos.

quote:

What is a cryptocurrency and why does it have value? What is an initial coin offering (ICO) and how have tech entrepreneurs raised billions of dollars in non-dilutive financing? Can existing startups add cryptocurrency to their business model? In this installment of our "View From The Top" series, you'll hear answers to these questions and more from some of the key leaders in this fast-growing field including:

CEO of a cryptocurrency with the 3rd largest market cap

CEO who last month broke the all-time record for an Initial Coin Offering (ICO)

Co-Chief Investment Officer of one the largest dedicated ICO hedge funds

Head of the Digital Currency+Blockchain Practice for one of the country's leading law firms

I particularly love them calling cryptocurrencies "non-dilutive financing."

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

blackmet posted:

The closest gas station to me is a Costco.

I use it once in a while. The prices are good. But if I see a huge line I pass, especially since they only have 85 or 91 octane, and my car takes 87.

I'm an American, dammit, and Jimmy Carter ain't running the country. I shouldn't have to wait in line for gas!!!!

85 octane? I don't believe I've ever actually seen that. Google search says it's a thing so I believe you, but every gas station I've ever been to is 87/89/91 and the occasional 100+ racing bullshit.

What state are you in?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

blackmet posted:

Colorado. 85/87/91 is standard.

And, man, they gouge you on 87 and 91.

The owners manual says 87, so I use 87. I might be able to get away with 85, but I don't want to risk ruining my rapidly depreciating asset.

Thanks for that info about the elevation. I never thought of that.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

greazeball posted:

I hear Des Moines has a low cost of living, tremendous job opportunities and all the amenities of Chicago or New York.

Just don't live anywhere near any of those job opportunities or supposed amenities and you're golden. :v:

The idea of paying $2,000+ a month to live in motherfucking Iowa is giving me the shakes.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

very stable genius posted:

Funko pops are absolutely NOT just like beanie babies, despite what you might read comparing the two.

Yeah, the fabric in beanie babies is less wasteful. :v:

quote:

e: I just learned what funko pops are

I particularly like the six identical boxes with the red/black colored guy.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I love that they excluded all the conventions, subscription boxes, and expensive "limited edition" ones from his thirty per loving week limit.

God drat, James. You loving idiot.

Edit: "Emergency pop fund" :lol:

Edit #2: The comments on that tweet claim this is his collection: https://imgur.com/a/RdTiF

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Trustworthy posted:

Is that Pop hoarder also a professional wrestler? He's got a bunch of wrestling belts in those cases. Maybe winning wrestling titles is where his GWM really shines...?

He also runs a Coke bottling line.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

For reasons that I’d prefer not to discuss, I need to make $2000 in 6 months.

I'm going to go out on a limb and bet that he lives in a state that bans third-trimester abortions, and this may also be why his parents won't let him keep any money of his own. (Though maybe he's covered that in his "medical rut" part.)

Sundae fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 20, 2018

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

It's sad how people swarm around their dead loved one's money like vultures. Especially since if you're lovely with your own money you're definitely going to be lovely with free money.

My uncle died three years ago and my mother ended up being the executor for his "estate." I put it in quotes because it was worth... oh, maybe $4,000? (He died from cancer but not until after chemotherapy costs destroyed basically his entire life savings.) People in our family are STILL throwing poo poo fits about that $4,000 and how much of it should be theirs, years later, never mind what the will and the funeral bills say. I particularly love the relatives who are passing snide comments that my mother is apparently living the high life off of his $4000 when NOPE, it all went to funeral expenses and left her in the lurch for even more after that. Not a dime of help from any of them when he was alive or when funeral bills needed to be paid, but apparently they're all entitled to his furniture and spare change now that he's gone.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Check back in ten years and see how much of those kids' money went to keeping their broke parents from starving in retirement. :shepicide:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
My pension from my first job was: Highest 5-year salary average, multiplied by (1.4% x Years of Service, capped at 35 years), then roughly divided by 2 if (Years of service + Age <= 85) at time of departure. It worked out to approximately a 50% vesting in your final five years but was in theory linear up until then. Why no, there's no incentive at all to lay off people approaching retirement, why would you say such a thing? :v:

I accepted an $11,000 buyout rather than accept the $85 a month I'd get starting in 2057, which did not adjust for CoL/inflation, of course. Nobody has offered a pension since then, and my old company discontinued re-hires accruing more years of service, so even if I went back I couldn't get any more vesting.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Scene: 1983, a crumbling apartment block in Kiev...

A man sits at his table with his morning vodka and potato. The table has a wobbly leg and the potato is already starting to bud. He sighs deeply and takes a drag of his cigarette.

"Life... life is not much the same as old way, but cheer up," he tells himself. "Things could be worse."

"How?" shouts his wife from the next room, where she is draping his stained undershirts to dry over a radiator that hasn't worked in four years. "How can it be worse?"

"I could be that Reddit boy with $120,000 of non-dischargeable student loan debt at 11% interest."

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

Waiting to see how much it costs to transplant my consciousness into a T-1000.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Monkey Loves you!

Monkey needs a Hug :qq:

I was all excited because I thought you were making an "Overdrawn at the Memory Bank" reference to the transplanting consciousness thing, but nope, on googling my hopes were dashed. :(

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

BigDave posted:

Wow, Clickhole is doing a better satire job then The Onion.

They're the same people, aren't they?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I don't know how expensive the guy's SoCal area is, but if it's anywhere close to the cost of the bay area, it's possible that he needs to combine both strategies and send his family out of state while he lives in a homeless shelter while working (at least until he can find a job where his family is). We have a bunch of working homeless in my town, because $15-20 an hour isn't enough to even rent a studio, even putting aside bad rental / eviction records. The main regular behind the counter at our pizza place leaves his camping backpack outside the restaurant every day while he works, then takes it and heads back to the park where he lives at night. :(

Edit: "any rental place will require an extremely large deposit + first months rent. I estimate i'd need around $3,000 - $3,500 to rent a place in southern california. and atleast $2,500 anyplace else" - Yeah, nobody's going to rent to him unless he's turning $6K-9K a month in income at those rental prices. Standard I keep seeing in applications out here is either 200% Gross:Rent or 300% Gross:Rent, depending on the landlord/company.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 12, 2018

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

a friend of mine won a lottery in ireland or spain or somewhere, got about a million, which was spent on paying off his mortgage, his mom's mortgage, college funds for the kids and the leftover sub 5k was spent on a big night out with his wife

poo poo, I knew I should've answered those e-mails about my winning Eurolottery numbers. :(

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Bad With Money: Lularoe and Meggings Too #MomBoss

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

BattleMoose posted:

They do however have a very bad tendency to bring back old rules they threw out when it's convenient.

Said everyone ever, unfortunately. :(

When in doubt, assume everyone's going to hell and that they're acting accordingly.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Only ten spots left, guys. Don't miss out on this once in a lifetime...

oh wait, there's another one next week.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Panfilo posted:

Put a bike lock on your condo next time and don't leave it in a bad neighborhood.

There's a joke about concrete foundations weighing more than 400 pounds in here somewhere, but I just can't do it. The threadstreams are crossed enough as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

As long as they make it to Medicare eligibility you're A-OK.

Also don't get put into a home.

Also, make sure they get supplemental Medigap insurance, because "original" Medicare has no out-of-pocket maximum and end-of-life poo poo can bankrupt you from co-insurance alone.