Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
I've heard people being excited about AMD stock but I have no idea why. Aren't they still just making 2nd tier processors? Why is that so exciting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

1) allow shopping centers to build bigger parking lots
4) Add more lanes to our back-roads and downtown main streets.

Wait these sound great.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah #1 just too selfish to care much about compared to increased ease of parking. #4 maybe but at some point there will be enough lanes to fit all the people in the world and life will be great. Maybe when flying cars come and we have sky lanes. Also, I think the title of the article is misleading. I think the study found that traffic actually stayed the same, not increased.

Nail Rat posted:

Only if you're rooted in American suburbia.

Guilty for sure. But I think more than half of Americans live in suburbs so :shrug:

potatoducks fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 5, 2017

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You're providing a really good example of why the human mind can't solve distant, abstract problems like global warming. You see something you think might make your life easier right now, so how could there possibly be any consequences in the future?

You wouldn't need parking if you lived in an area where the things you needed to get to were close to each other.

Human lifespans are just too short. We all recognize the consequences. If everyone lived a thousand years I guarantee we would all care a lot more about global warming. But hey, in 100 years I'll be dead and you'll be dead so whatever. Maybe the last 10 years will be horrible and my house will be underwater, I don't know.

Your point is well taken though. Cities and public transportation are better for society and anyone who has kids and etc. But drat did it suck to carry your groceries around on the bus.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

pig slut lisa posted:

Therefore, without further ado, here are the BWM thread guidelines:

Things that could get you probated
This list includes actions that could get you probated. I say could because, as always, funny/informative/interesting posts are always welcome in BFC. However, the following types of posts usually don't add enough value relative to the trouble they cause:

Talking about yourself
BFC boasts a wealth of threads for talking about yourself. Have a basic personal finance question? The newbie thread is what you're looking for. More specific questions? Check out the long-term investing thread, the credit card thread, the house-buying thread, the...you get the picture. Want to brag on yourself for a financial achievement? Tell us all about it in the Goons Getting Ahead thread, or challenge yourself to track your financial goals over the course of the year. Just have something small or cool or interesting to share that doesn't fit into another category? Pop in to the general discussion thread. And if none of these threads work for you, I love love love seeing new threads in BFC! You might even get a sticky out of it if your OP is interesting ;)

With so many places to tell us about how good or bad you are with money, there's no need to clutter up this thread with it. We all want to hear about your incredibly opulent/exceedingly frugal wedding, I swear, but not in this thread please! This also goes for asking for advice. Stories about family, friends, and coworkers where you play a bit role are fine, but stories about you belong elsewhere. Of the ~25 people who responded to my call for feedback, ~20 suggested a rule like this. Let's see which one of the 20 breaks it first :twisted:

Did everyone forget about this rule? It's only been 14 pages. Come on people.

Nobody cares about your ring.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Noo.... no derail bird. I want to see if someone gets banned.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 11, 2017

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Koalas March posted:

You are really underestimating institutional racism, patriarchy and trans/homophobia.

Welcome to the thread!

Long time lurker?

Daily search for Tiny Brontosaurus posts?

General search for "racism", "sexism", etc?

I am always curious as to how people find this place when things start to go down the shitter.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

She's a mod you loving moron.

Mods have time to look at all new posts? I don't know. Maybe. That's why I asked. Why the hostility? I haven't been arguing against you at all.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Koalas March posted:

Actually ZDR set up a special notification so that anytime someone posts something related to racism on the forums I get an alert that goes straight to my phone and plays an mp3 of All Of The Lights by Kanye West.

It's like a bat signal, but for internet racists.

Dude you know he says the n word in that song right? :(

Maybe you have the clean version?

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Well you can't expect much more than that from OSU.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

It sure would; 130k would last for multiple years of luxurious world travel.

That's way over the top.

Business/first class tickets are ridiculously expensive. We're not even talking about private planes here.

A night at a fancy resort with an ocean view is at least $1-2k.

I don't know what your definition of luxurious is but I can't imagine that it involves flying in economy.

The average American wedding costs around $25k. When you take that into account, a wedding of $150k sounds almost reasonable for people who I bet make way more than 6x the average American.

Some of you guys have seriously limited imaginations.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Slipping this in while Tiny Brontosaurus is still on probation. Nice move.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
I think most travel agents are free if you do the legwork yourself and just use them to book a hotel reservation with their virtuoso benefits.

There is definitely a luxury travel agent market out there.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
US MD schools never let you replace a grade. DO schools used to, but they recently changed their policy without any forewarning or grace period which is probably what this post is referring to. Pretty bullshit to be honest. I'm sure a lot of people such as the reddit poster wasted a bunch of time and money already retaking classes.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Enfys posted:

They probably did him a favour in the long term. The chances of someone who failed 7 undergrad classes being able to cut the long slog through med school and residency is pretty low, and then he'd have way more than $75k in debt.

If your plan is to go to med school, you should probably prioritise classwork at least a little bit.

I know a number of people who hosed up big in college before getting their poo poo together and becoming great physicians. It's one thing if you just can't handle the workload. It's another if you just got a bit too crazy with your newfound freedom early on before growing up and deciding to do something with your life.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

KingSlime posted:

there is something to be said about someone who spends a lot of energy pushing this narrative of being a superior human being to complete and total loving strangers (goons no less), half of who hate your guts

Dude is just trolling around. If it bothers you, just ignore.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

BWM is paying $10 to post on a comedy forum and reading a thread about people bad with money that consistently gets distracted by a right-wing troll and a left-wing troll who both give one cause to remind oneself of Poe's Law.

Seriously. Note how the right-wing troll and left-wing troll manage to basically ignore one another. Talent recognizes talent. While others here dance around like fools.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
What do seasonal employees do during the offseason? Work a different job with a different season?

I can imagine that a lot of summer jobs are filled by students. But what about things like ski instructors, tax preparers, holiday workers, etc?

I assume that most of them can't just not work during the offseason.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Non Serviam posted:

No, you're right, your glorious animes and Mangas are deep literature. Totally.

I think LOL meaning whoooo caresssss what your entertainment of choice is.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Whoa whoa whoa. Just because TB is on probation doesn't mean you can say racist things like that.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Weatherman posted:

There's lots of hand waving and justifications possible for why your country likes to gently caress its young people financially so much, but it's really all irrelevant blathering when faced with "well Australia manages to do it so why can't you?"

Edit: inb4 all the usual excuses why the country that sent humans to the moon and possesses weapons of mass destruction somehow can't do the same kind of thing

What's so great about Australia? Don't they basically just do IBR?

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Xenoborg posted:

This is the weirdest part to me. You don't pay tuition and they pay you (~50k for medicine, probably less for dentist) during residency.

Dental residencies often cost money. I think it's because they don't get federal funding.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
If smoking $280 of weed every month isn't pursuing your passions, then I don't know what is. And you know they're getting a good price on it too.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Rich people trying to justify their rings. Poor people saying how it's all bullshit. The occasional humblebrag going "Hey I'm rich AND I think it's bullshit."

Yup, it's engagement ring derail again.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
What the gently caress happened to this?

pig slut lisa posted:

Talking about yourself
BFC boasts a wealth of threads for talking about yourself. Have a basic personal finance question? The newbie thread is what you're looking for. More specific questions? Check out the long-term investing thread, the credit card thread, the house-buying thread, the...you get the picture. Want to brag on yourself for a financial achievement? Tell us all about it in the Goons Getting Ahead thread, or challenge yourself to track your financial goals over the course of the year. Just have something small or cool or interesting to share that doesn't fit into another category? Pop in to the general discussion thread. And if none of these threads work for you, I love love love seeing new threads in BFC! You might even get a sticky out of it if your OP is interesting ;)

With so many places to tell us about how good or bad you are with money, there's no need to clutter up this thread with it. We all want to hear about your incredibly opulent/exceedingly frugal wedding, I swear, but not in this thread please! This also goes for asking for advice. Stories about family, friends, and coworkers where you play a bit role are fine, but stories about you belong elsewhere. Of the ~25 people who responded to my call for feedback, ~20 suggested a rule like this. Let's see which one of the 20 breaks it first :twisted:

Shut up you guys.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
If they're going to also decrease tax rates as a whole, eliminate AMT, and eliminate the marriage penalty as in trumps original plan then sure by all means. But I doubt any of it will happen.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

Those poor loving robots. The ones that make over 100k a year will be rich loving robots.

I laughed.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Should have gone to the sharing economy model where you place an order on an app and some uber driver arrives and makes you a smoothie.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Is this a jealousy thread or what? Those people can probably afford $60 bread, whatever. That article didn't even contain any BWM.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
A lot of sites detect ad blocking software now. Getting annoying again.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Forum sponsored rainy day donations for anonymous internet people sounds exactly like the type of thing that will end up getting posted in here someday.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Was that even a serious post or just trying to be funny? That was much more benign than I thought it would be. Seems like such a throwaway.

Also, how do you guys even know what race/gender people are here?

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
I wholeheartedly support the idea of a forums based donation fund because I'm going to post it in this thread so drat fast.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Phanatic posted:

I've been told that an excellent substitute for owning a boat is standing in a cold shower while tearing up $100 bills.

That said, planes are even worse. Don't ever have a plane, just have a friend who has a plane.

My friend combined the two and got a seaplane.

Someone please tell me it's BWM, because I am super jealous.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

I have a hunch that he got to the residency part, went "wait you mean being a doctor involves interacting with people?!?" and ran away screaming, hence the second choice of computer janitor

There are many specialties with minimal patient interaction. One of the best things about medicine is that there's a specialty for everyone.

ate all the Oreos posted:

Oh I missed that, even better :laugh:

Yeah he's just a dumbass.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
It's fine on paper but these things go lovely like 95% of the time, and nobody thinks they're gonna be the 95%.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837987

GROUND FLOOR BABY

That is the thread where you offer helpful suggestions. This is the thread where you laugh at how stupid it is.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

Do we still care that Leon edits the stories to make them more outrageous? I thought that was a thing he did in the last thread.

I care. It's so so dumb. It was unnecessary too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
I don't doubt that the perfect, stable cryptocurrency where nobody ever gets scammed would be a wonderful thing.

I highly highly doubt that the real players in this world will let the internet nerds win.