Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I loving hate the term " influencer" . It's some rear end in a top hat on the Internet playing video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

canyoneer posted:

https://twitter.com/5hyyy/status/797607753346904064

The context here is that this company sponsors a bunch of streamers. Those stupid looking "racing" chairs are $300-500, and are worse in every way than an actual ergonomic chair from Steelcase or Herman Miller. This guy didn't actually have one so he photoshopped one on his stream :lol:

I'm guessing he got paid for it?

I'm a lawyer for a fairly large apparel and footwear company and, let me assure you, a big chunk of marketing is now going to giving poo poo to YouTube and Instagram people.

Ugh.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How the gently caress do you pronounce PewDiePie? I hate that name so much.

I always assumed it's pew dee pie

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

LLCoolJD posted:

I have a channel on YouTube with over 1 million views, and it has earned several hundred dollars over a couple of years. I haven't posted a video in over a year. It has paid for a nice microphone, mic amp, and video capture software license, with cash to spare. I already had access to Adobe Suite so that was an expense avoided that the "career YouTubers" need to pay.

There is no way in hell it's an efficient profit generator for anyone but a tiny outlier segment. For extra money, I'd have been better off working at Starbucks. The video editing/production part of it was fun, but it horrifies me that there are kids pursuing this instead of a real career. There is practically no barrier to entry, the future viability is uncertain, and the payouts are small.

Fun hobby, extremely BWM career/job.

The lack of entry barriers is what they find attractive, I think. If you want to be an actor, for example, the challenges you need to overcome are huge, so most people will actually smarten up and try something else. Youtube is easy to get into, since your unfunny video has the same potential reach as any other.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Read the rest of the loving thread you loving idiot rear end in a top hat.

Said literally every ignorant piece of poo poo to literally every protected-class job-seeker who spoke up about discrimination. Magical how nothing bad ever ever happens, nothing's unfair, people only get what's coming to them, the world is Just.

No, you really seem unlikable and difficult to hire. And I say this with no knowledge of your gender, ethnicity or sexual orientation.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My buddy spends $40 a day on delivery food. Tee hee!

Why? That's the only question I can really come up with. Why does he do this?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2013/07/19/frequent_flier_miles_scam_how_i_lost_1_350_by_falling_for_the_same_internet.html

BWM twice in the same week.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

canyoneer posted:

A dude on reddit got burned through a different flight scam.

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6bp4oa/bought_sketchy_flight_ticket_collections_calling/

Bought sketchy flight ticket, collections calling (self.legaladvice)
submitted 1 day ago * by bigbiker2016

The theory is that the scammed dude bought a flight in buttcoins from someone online. That someone online was using a stolen credit card, and the charges got reversed and the airline is now investigating the passenger as their only lead in the fraud case.

Would he actually be in trouble though? . If buying ticket was not illegal, and he didn't have a reason to suspect it was the result of a crime, he should be ok.
The fact that he called him sketchy does make me suspect he was well aware of the fact this might be a criminal enterprise ad just got greedy.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

ohgodwhat posted:

BWL is spending your days on a subreddit about a twitch streamer just to complain about how mean he is to the people that watch him

BWL is watching streamers.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

kimcicle posted:

They touch on this in a great documentary called "Betting on Zero." They are called nutrition clubs, aren't supposed to show any outward Herbalife branding (but can do it inside the store), and the true income is from getting people into the MLM scheme. Either the storefront owners go broke trying to recruit enough people to keep the MLM alive, or they are able to find a sucker to take over the storefront lease when they realize they aren't making any money.

I just watched this documentary yesterday, and can absolutely recommend it as well. Really interesting

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

Which is probably why there's a school of thought that says humans peaked at that stage.

Hunter-gatherers were swol. Modern man, not so much.

By school of thought you mean people on the paleo diet?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

Just that we were at our physical peaks. If you judge a species' apex by their condition independent of surroundings (i.e. culture), we don't get much better than hunter-gathering humans.

Disease wasn't even as bad since a lot of the really awful ones came from domesticating animals. And that paleo diet did wonders for our dental health.

Specifically what culture in particular are you talking about? The fossil record doesn't show Paleolithic men as healthy beasts, and there isn't a single "paleo man" (humans in America lived different than in Africa and so on).

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

John Smith posted:

100% and completely your fault. Lol at your check to (implicitly) blame the leasing company. That is like blaming the robber for the robbery.

Who else do you blame in a robbery?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Inept posted:

Who the gently caress takes a vacation overseas for less than a week?

Traitors who don't want to spend most of the year in the glorious United States

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Farg posted:

I feel like TB doesn't argue in good faith

I don't think she's mentally stable.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

I politely asked someone not to spread a racist fairy tale and now here we are. If you don't think racism shits up a thread then that says a lot about you.

Everyone is racist except you TB.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

You can retreat into your slimy goonshell and jam your tentacles in your ears whenever you get criticized, but until you stop being a horrible reddity creep people aren't going to stop noticing that you are.

How many videos do you have on YouTube about strangers being your stalkers? Because you sound like that kind of crazy.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Just to clarify... you would like a source on "racism is wrong"?

No, because you say "THAT IS RACIST!!!" based on your own opinion, never addressing whether something is true or not.
Also, because you're a mentally ill person.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

No, you're right, your glorious animes and Mangas are deep literature. Totally.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

I just want to say that because of this thread I've actually told friends who are checking tinder "nah dude, not that one. She has a horse."

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

axeil posted:

https://twitter.com/MarketWatch/status/995381403830243328

I'm guessing the % of 35 year-olds who can say this is vanishingly small.

Considering most Americans don't even have 500 bucks put aside for emergencies, it's hilariously tone deaf to just say "well, reality be damned, this is how it ought to be".

Also, too bad they mean annual salary.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Staryberry posted:

This is a new twist on "Married to a Man Child"

I know plenty of people who, having made terrible decisions throughout their life, decide that the far left is where they belong (as a way to hide their mediocrity)

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Verus posted:

AMA about being a literal communist who works for an investment bank and invests 90% of my net pay

(don't actually ask me, no one cares)

Isn't that just as inconsistent as being a Nazi rabbi?

quote:

I am six episodes into the MLM podcast and holy poo poo, the one that ends with the successful 31 seller being told how to target poor people when they get their checks was 😫. Also lol at her saying the rich people don’t buy. Yeah, products considered desirable among lower class people that have high end markups probably aren’t super appealing to rich people. Dub.

While it's an interesting topic, the hosts come off as being remarkably stupid, not to mention that the music they use as background is completely inappropriate for the tone they're going for.
As for content... They don't really say anything that couldn't be explained in much shorter time, with way less ads.

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 24, 2018

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Splicer posted:

Yeah I'm enjoying the MLM bits but the hosts and presentation are pretty bad. The ads crack me up because sometimes there's not a lot of segue so there's a few seconds where I think they're discussing another MLM.

As someone who isn't in the US, I find it fascinating how many meal services are advertised in these podcasts. Is it because in the US there are a lot of "food deserts" so that this might be the only "healthy" option for people who live far from supermarkets, or is take out really popular in the middle class to the point that blue apron would be cheaper?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

golden bubble posted:

BWM: Signing a cognovit note (AKA confession of judgment) in order to get a loan.

A confession of judgment is a legal document that effectively says "I give up my right to respond or contest to any civil suits relating to this debt." With it, a creditor can get an immediate verdict for a civil suit without having to follow due process. It's an arbitration agreement where borrower loses before the arbitration begins.

As another poster mentioned, they're not accepted in many jurisdictions, but NY doesn't give a gently caress. In general, small businesses can get really hosed with unfair contractual terms, since they're often understood by the courts to be savvy enough to avoid predatory deals (because they're not consumers). Of course this doesn't account for the differences in bargaining power that exist even among businesses, and we end with this.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Midjack posted:

gently caress these dumb assholes.

They must be old money, because the dude has a PhD in education, and the woman doesn't work... And yet, they have had up to three or four properties at a given time.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

puberty worked me over posted:

Please allow us to trip over ourselves stating how woke we are in the face of theft of property.

How else would we be able to show everyone else in the forums that we have right thoughts only?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Is there ever a good reason to lease a car privately (as opposed to doing it for a business)? In Holland car loans aren't very common, but lately I've seen a bunch of offers for leases.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Staryberry posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationship_advice/comments/8wt6uc/church_wants_their_10_and_i_dont_want_to_rip_my/

Husband wants to volunteer to play music for a church. They have a sick kid, and paying for the privilege of volunteering will break them, financially.

Colleges should learn from this approach for their own athletic teams. Not only not pay them, also charge them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Did anyone ITT actually have a pow pow Power Wheels growing up?

I asked for one once and my parents made it clear that they cost like a million bucks

As a child growing up in South America I remember watching a TV show where a rich kid owned one. It was shown as a clear demonstration of wealth.