Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Why aren't there any Caribbean residencies? Don't they have hospitals?

That's not what these schools are for and you can't practice in the US or Canada without training there. According to this article from February, 94% of US med school graduates match while 54% of Caribbean med school graduates match. They're everything bad about those for-profit technical schools times ten: they take students American schools reject, charge them out the rear end, and dump them with a degree they can't use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Thanks to you both! What do Caribbean locals who want to be local doctors do though?

Cuba has free medical schools that will gladly teach motivated poor people from around the Caribbean and send them back to their home towns ready to be a family doctor. These schools are entirely to scam dumb Americans.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

BWM on grandparents' part? Pretty cool though.

quote:

Grandparents gifted me & S/O 100g of 99.99% gold to start a college fund, since we are expecting a baby. How do I convert this literal bar of gold into a more fungible/secure investment?

Photo of the gold bar. I have no idea if the serial number or seal I covered up are secure, so my apologies if this is a terrible photo

I looked around for any advice about selling gold and APMEX, local coin collectors, and /r/pmsforsale were all recommended. "Cash for gold" stores were universally panned.

However, since I'm interested in eventually throwing this money into an index fund (maybe even a gold ETF) I was wondering if there's an easier way to liquidate this directly with a bank.

Any help is really appreciated since I've never held more than a single silver dollar in my hand before. Thanks!