Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

I'd like to think they were related. The mom was played by the same actress as Old Essie, which suggested some sort of lineage of similar looking women.

Alternate take: in reality Essie actually looks nothing like Laura, but is played by Emily Browning because Laura reminds Sweeney of Essie, and maybe these scenes are from his point of view and his memories.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Toast Museum posted:

They straight-up admit it in chapter 18.

Wow, I can't not read that in Ian McShane's voice.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Steve Yun posted:

Alternate take: in reality Essie actually looks nothing like Laura, but is played by Emily Browning because Laura reminds Sweeney of Essie, and maybe these scenes are from his point of view and his memories.

That's what I tend to think. I really liked the episode!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, they said in the after the episode that they wanted to draw parallels between Essie and Laura's stories. Sweeney says himself that it's his way to be a fickle creature that brings good turns and bad to people. But for Laura he's been nothing but terrible and the guilt is destroying him. That's why he has been so outwardly hostile to her the entire time, in order to get his coin back he has to face his greatest sin and by the end of the episode he knows he has to make right what he did in order to deserve to have it back.

The whole story serves to better draw the line between the old gods and the new, Sweeney won't let himself cross the line and only take, he has to give back a little something. Note that so far we've only seen Odin take and take.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 12, 2017

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ZorajitZorajit posted:

The episode felt like filler so close to the finale, I was at least hoping for Laura to meet a Jesus. But I'm glad that they did tell all of the Essie story, one of my favorite segments of the book.

They mentioned Essie in the book? I don't remember that part at all.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

They mentioned Essie in the book? I don't remember that part at all.

I'm the book her name is Tregowan instead of MacGowan, she's Cornish instead of Irish, and she brings an otherwise unnamed Cornish fairy (I think a pixie? Can't remember) instead of Mad Sweeney. Otherwise the story's identical.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Medullah posted:

Oh I thought we were talking about the car accident with Laura and Sweeney, which I don't actually remember being in the book accident. Oh yeah, definitely the accident that killed Laura was him.

Missed this post. My guess for the accident in this episode is Eostre. She's the namesake of Easter and while rabbits have nothing to do with her traditionally, it's pointed out in the book that modern American Easter has little to do with her original formation. Rabbits are important in modern Easter, which is still worshiped, however. What her motivation is, I have zero idea.

On a side note - did I miss something where we're spoilering things in this thread? It's a spoiler thread for book readers - I thought anything that's already aired, speculation, and in this case anything in the book would be fair game. Are future book events not fair game or something?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Shooting Blanks posted:

Missed this post. My guess for the accident in this episode is Eostre. She's the namesake of Easter and while rabbits have nothing to do with her traditionally, it's pointed out in the book that modern American Easter has little to do with her original formation. Rabbits are important in modern Easter, which is still worshiped, however. What her motivation is, I have zero idea.

On a side note - did I miss something where we're spoilering things in this thread? It's a spoiler thread for book readers - I thought anything that's already aired, speculation, and in this case anything in the book would be fair game. Are future book events not fair game or something?

People are spoiling the episode that airs Sunday night if they watch it on Starz on demand earlier in the day.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

I tend to try and spoiler my comments if I've seen the episode just after it gets released.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I read the rabbit more in a rabbit foot=good luck kinda way (in an episode in which luck was a central concept), but I like it maybe having something to do with Easter as well

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

stereobreadsticks posted:

I'm the book her name is Tregowan instead of MacGowan, she's Cornish instead of Irish, and she brings an otherwise unnamed Cornish fairy (I think a pixie? Can't remember) instead of Mad Sweeney. Otherwise the story's identical.

Cousin Jack is either the faeries name or type in the book, I'm not that up on cornish mythology.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

SiKboy posted:

Cousin Jack is either the faeries name or type in the book, I'm not that up on cornish mythology.

It's a term for Cornish people.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SiKboy posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knocker_(folklore)

quote:

In the 1820s, immigrant Welsh miners brought tales of the knockers and their theft of unwatched items and warning knocks to western Pennsylvania, when they gravitated there to work in the mines. Cornish miners, much sought after in the years following the gold and silver rushes, brought them to California and Nevada.[1] When asked if they had relatives who would come to work the mines, the Cornish miners always said something along the lines of "Well, me cousin Jack over in Cornwall wouldst come, could ye pay ’is boat ride", and so came to be called Cousin Jacks.[2] The Cousin Jacks, as notorious for losing tools as they were for diving out of shafts just before they collapsed, attributed this to their diminutive friends and refused to enter new mines until assured by the management that the knockers were already on duty. Even non-Cornish miners, who worked deep in the earth where the noisy support timbers creaked and groaned, came to believe in the Tommyknockers.[3] The American interpretation of knockers seemed to be more ghostly than elvish

This is cool stuff.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Jason Boyega and Donald Glover as Fat Charlie and Spider from Anansi Boys

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'd argue that quite possibly Mr. Nancy could be present if we see rabbits doing tricky business...Brer Rabbit is believed by many to be an Americanized Anansi...

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
i hope thye just cut out all of the lovely boring stuff about shadow's winter vacation with the troll or whatever. Fast forward to anansi boys.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Nah it's a good section. It might go on a little long but it's good. They've already shown they're willing to devote time to side stuff too so it will probably be fine.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Choco1980 posted:

Nah it's a good section. It might go on a little long but it's good. They've already shown they're willing to devote time to side stuff too so it will probably be fine.

Hell, it could be really good for Shadow's character development to just have him be in a (seemingly) normal environment for a while

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So is Anansi boys going to get spliced into the Shadow/wednesday plot or is the plan to finish american gods and then have 2 (?) seasons of Anansi boys?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I think the rabbit is just supposed to be more of Mad Sweeneys hosed up luck.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The rabbit's gotta be easter right? Heavily advertised and no mention of her in the show so far.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mad Sweeny dumped some gold onto the road right before the bunny showed up. The fix was in, but he chickened out at the last minute and gave her back the coin.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

double nine posted:

So is Anansi boys going to get spliced into the Shadow/wednesday plot or is the plan to finish american gods and then have 2 (?) seasons of Anansi boys?

Not positive, but from what I was reading about the show it sounded more like the former.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I thought Shadow's wintry adventures we're easily the best part of the book.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lakeside is a great little story, but it almost feels like a separate short story dropped into AG*. I really like it, and it's climax, but I don't know what would actually change without it being in.

*I thought I remembered that being the exact case, but I don't know if it's true or not.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lakeside was my favorite part of the book. The early stuff that the show's covering right now honestly bored me to tears, I had to power through. It was worth it, but good on you, show, for making it all interesting.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
yeah the leprechaun, the zorya sisters, the checkers game, mr nancy, all that poo poo is boring. Give me ten chapters about a car sinking into a lake.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
I have to admit that I am another goon that found Lakeside to be my absolute favorite part of the book. I know that's weird, but it's true. It's hard to even explain why.

I think maybe it taps into a fantasy of stepping into another life with a new name, no debts, a stack of hundred dollar bills, and no responsibility. I like that Shadow just meets the townsfolk and buys boring old books and reads them because he has literally nothing better to do. He eats pasties and practices his coin tricks in a barren almost totally unfurnished apartment in a Fargo/Twin Peaks kinda town.

Reading the Lakeside section fills me with the same cozy feeling as playing Stardew Valley. Or beginning any other kind of sandbox-style RPG where there's no sense of impending doom. In video games, and even media in general, that's kind of rare. There's always some loving crisis lighting a fire under my rear end, so by comparison, it's this relaxing sinking-into-a-bath feeling to be totally free to be bored if you want to be, with no negative consequences.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Here come the minor spoiler youtubes

There were more Jesuses than we were led to believe

Media as Judy Garland

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 16, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

That first one is amazing :allears:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Soooo many Jesuses (Jesii?)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I could be wrong but it looks like there's another White Jesus, and he wears polos and khakis

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
A shame Stephen King couldn't have added that tidbit of lore to his otherwise turd novel of the same name.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Tomorrow is too far away.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve Yun posted:

I could be wrong but it looks like there's another White Jesus, and he wears polos and khakis

I'm thinking that's Mormon Jesus

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Man-bun Jesus

Steve Yun posted:

I hope you were ironically missing the point of that scene every one of those guys was Jesus

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

coyo7e posted:

every one of those guys was Jesus

yes but I was under the assumption that there would only be one Jesus per race because of the casting that we found out a couple weeks ago, and now it looks like maybe we're getting two white Jesuses

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
MORE JESUSES CLIPS:

Easter toasts Jesus

Easter makes an amazing joke about Jehovah's Witnesses

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 17, 2017

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

gently caress Kristen Chenowith is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Escape Addict posted:

I have to admit that I am another goon that found Lakeside to be my absolute favorite part of the book. I know that's weird, but it's true. It's hard to even explain why.

I think maybe it taps into a fantasy of stepping into another life with a new name, no debts, a stack of hundred dollar bills, and no responsibility. I like that Shadow just meets the townsfolk and buys boring old books and reads them because he has literally nothing better to do. He eats pasties and practices his coin tricks in a barren almost totally unfurnished apartment in a Fargo/Twin Peaks kinda town.

Reading the Lakeside section fills me with the same cozy feeling as playing Stardew Valley. Or beginning any other kind of sandbox-style RPG where there's no sense of impending doom. In video games, and even media in general, that's kind of rare. There's always some loving crisis lighting a fire under my rear end, so by comparison, it's this relaxing sinking-into-a-bath feeling to be totally free to be bored if you want to be, with no negative consequences.

I also really loved the Lakeside part of the story. I do really relate to you saying it has the same feelings as a sandboxy game/Stardew Valley (a game I really love) save.

I think a part of it is...up until the Lakeside part, Shadow's only interacting with gods, in their world. Then he has to figure out how to be human, among humans. It's his coming out of prison moment. Up until he gets to Lakeside, he doesn't have to sort out his life as a free man. And then suddenly, he does. I think it's my favorite part of the book just because it really gave more character to Shadow, who really loving needed it.

Also I totally dig the 'idyllic town with a dark secret' thing.

• Locked thread