Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

a kitten posted:

What the poo poo? Episode two is apparently available on starz/amazon streaming right now. Not that I'm complaining.

e: US, 10ish Pacific time.

Comes out at midnight EST on Sundays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

So it would seem.

Also, wow. Fuckin wow this episode.

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches

Mameluke posted:

I hope Media at one point takes on the guise of late-90s icon Dana Scully

I choose to believe Gillian Anderson exists in-universe and Media has chosen to look like her.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I liked the book but always thought they were gonna adapt it into a show by taking the book + spinoffs + sidestories? Otherwise I don't get how you make an entire season as slowly as they are going.

I haven't watched yet but the imagery looks amazing so far, translated better than I could have imagined it

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

In the book it literally says that Shadow's called Shadow because as a kid he used to follow his mom around like...a shadow. It's a kiddie nickname that stuck.

Yes, it's not his real name. He gives up his real name during Wednesday's vigil.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

showbiz_liz posted:

Shoulda offered him Ricardo's pecs instead.

But then we would have never gotten the show. Who could have resisted that cuban cutie.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yes, it's not his real name. He gives up his real name during Wednesday's vigil.

Massive spoiler

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldr

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

What I noticed rewatching episode 1 is that it pretty much flew under the radar that when Shadow and Wednesday's plane had to do an emergency landing, Wednesday happened to have his car readily available to him near or at the airport they landed at.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
gently caress me that opening was incredible.

Czernobog and Zorya are amazing as well.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
Somehow Orlando Jones, Peter Stormare, and Cloris Leachman were even more awesome than anticipated. Also loved Shadow's Strange Fruit line.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Man, while i remember that Czernobog doesn't get to spatter Shadow's brains out right then and there (and what happens near the end of the book) i totally can't remember why he doesn't. I'm not even asking for someone to tell me (a little googling would do it too), but it sure is making me look forward to next week even more.

e: also who saved Shadow and exploded all those dudes? Laura, probably but drat it. :f5:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 7, 2017

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.
I might have loved this episode more than the 1st. So many good scenes. I loved the boxing up of Laura and Shadow's house. The decision to go full tilt and do a giant dick pic shot and then later more Bilquis scenes are just...man, it's bold but awesome. Also, hey, Bilquis doesn't discriminate when it comes to worshippers, cool.

A tiny detail I liked was nothing when Media was talking to Shadow even though she looked identical on every screen I think her eyes were always aimed on Shadow.

God I love how hard they're leaning into the topic of race. Can't wait to see more Orlando Jones on screen.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I liked the book but always thought they were gonna adapt it into a show by taking the book + spinoffs + sidestories? Otherwise I don't get how you make an entire season as slowly as they are going.

I haven't watched yet but the imagery looks amazing so far, translated better than I could have imagined it

Didn't somebody say they have like 5 seasons of this show already ordered, with the intent to cover Anansi Boys, the side stories, and an American Gods 2 sequel Gaiman is currently writing?

So yeah they're doing exactly that.

Plus they're adding sections like the new Mr.Nancy "coming to america" scene which wasn't in the book. We'll probably get scenes like that for Czernobog and others too. Maybe even Mad Sweeny will get an origin story. :)

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Didn't Mad Sweeney get an origin story though? With the Irish girl who came over as an indentured servant? It's been like five years since I've read the book, I could be completely misremembering.

My boyfriend doesn't get home til 10:30, it's sort of agonizing waiting to watch this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
""you don't even know you're black yet. You think you're just people."

God drat Orlando Jones is on fire as Anansi. They didn't even show us the full scene in that article clip, and the intro bits are even better.

"You're already dead rear end in a top hat. At least die a sacrifice for something worthwhile."

Crow Jane posted:

Didn't Mad Sweeney get an origin story though? With the Irish girl who came over as an indentured servant? It's been like five years since I've read the book, I could be completely misremembering.

My boyfriend doesn't get home til 10:30, it's sort of agonizing waiting to watch this.

Ah yeah, there's lots I'm forgetting because I haven't read the book since I was a teenager. I should re-read it.

I didn't read Anansi Boys till a few years later so its more fresh on my memory.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

Axel Serenity posted:

Closing the dick pic only to have it transfer to the digital photo frame is such a ridiculously Gaiman thing, and I loved it

This was from the other thread but I didn't want to discuss Gaiman over there anyway yes, I agree with that. But also I feel like Gaiman has a small preoccupation with dicks and piss. I swear I've read more passages mentioning either dicks or piss or both in his writing than anyone else's.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DentD posted:

This was from the other thread but I didn't want to discuss Gaiman over there anyway yes, I agree with that. But also I feel like Gaiman has a small preoccupation with dicks and piss. I swear I've read more passages mentioning either dicks or piss or both in his writing than anyone else's.

At least its not GRRM where its all poo poo and assholes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DentD posted:

Funny I was just thinking his most notable obsession was with the Maiden/Mother/Crone. It literally shows up in every single book he writes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

drat that's some of the best acting Peter Stormare has ever done. He's always had more of a bit role so its great to see him really get to be the star for a bit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DentD posted:

There's a bit in The Ocean at the End of the Lane audiobook where Gaiman takes about 3 pages to describe how good Spotted Dick is. :j:

Loved episode 2, though honestly that Bilquis scene was some shameful padding. We learned nothing except "she's REALLY hungry" and "she takes women too". It was a well done scene, for the most part, but that doesn't make it any less padding, especially when we haven't even gotten to the bank robbery (and since Shadow had "earmuffs" on his list, I'm guessing that's next episode).

Stormare was amazing, but during his long monologue his accent was all over the place. Still good.

Orlando Jones loving killed it, especially the undertone that he didn't care about the slaves and was just shuck-and-jiving them.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Funny I was just thinking his most notable obsession was with the Maiden/Mother/Crone. It literally shows up in every single book he writes.

Oh yeah, there is that. Definitely his most prominent "thing". The piss and dick stuff is small potatoes in comparison.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

drat that's some of the best acting Peter Stormare has ever done. He's always had more of a bit role so its great to see him really get to be the star for a bit.

He's had a lot of experience playing Europeans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1MNEqCr748

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

Yes, there's a "Coming to America" bit that explains how Mad Sweeney showed up.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dude puts cellphones on the list just so he can huck them out the window.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 8, 2017

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Just watched the episode, there is no part of that I did not like.

Mr. Nancy is different than I pictured him (and is written) but Orlando was excellent. Love the tiny little spider dreads.

I can forgive the Bilquis thing as they seem to be building towards something and she was never much of a character to begin with.

The whole Slavic gods business could not feasibly have been better, I don't see how it could be possible.

I am optimistic about the future of this series, though I wonder if stretching it out is really a good idea.

e: Media is perfect. Could not be better.

angerbot fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 8, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

angerbeet posted:

I am optimistic about the future of this series, though I wonder if stretching it out is really a good idea.

My only concern with how they're stretching everything out so much is if non-book-fans are gonna stick with it. If I didn't know what was coming up, I'd still be watching it, but it's not doing a lot to really hook non-book-readers in my opinion.

Also yeah Gaiman has a real hard-on for mother/maiden/crone, they're main characters in Ocean at the End of the Lane (which I will reiterate is probably his best book since Stardust, and a LOT better than AG - I'd honestly rank American Gods as his worst proper novel just on the pacing issues alone)

e: Gaiman and Pratchett both do the "Mr. Pin and Mr. Tulip" trope a lot too, and it was cool to see that trope show up in Preacher last season

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

precision posted:

e: Gaiman and Pratchett both do the "Mr. Pin and Mr. Tulip" trope a lot too, and it was cool to see that trope show up in Preacher last season

I mean Maiden/Mother/Crone is a pretty standard trope, Pratchett uses it with the Witches a lot.

There's also the one about how women do the birth and death aspects of life, Gaiman and Pratchett use both a lot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You know, since they're adding a lot of stuff to this series, I can't help but wonder if they'll expand Media's role to have her be kind of a "bridge" between the Old and New Gods. After all, Media didn't start with television, or even America, Media would have had a pretty big following in Europe post-printing press.

Doresain
Oct 7, 2003

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Agreed. I always enjoy his work but this performance really stood out as different from the usual schtick. He was enthralling.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I read the extended Bilquist scene as laying the groundwork for the theme that the old gods are no less predatory and rapacious than the new gods, to make people new to the story think that there actually is a moment of revelation for Shadow coming and that he might actually side with the new gods.

Also, now that I know the episode title is taken from the folk song Stormare sings to himself, all I can picture is him singing about cracking the shell of a hard boiled egg with a spoon and it being a metaphor for cracking skulls with his hammer. Anyone speak the language able to tell me if I'm far off, or know what language he's singing?

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 8, 2017

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I read the extended Bilquist scene as laying the groundwork for the theme that the old gods are no less predatory and rapacious than the new gods, to make people new to the story think that there actually is a moment of revelation for Shadow coming and that he might actually side with the new gods.

Also, now that I know the episode title is taken from the folk song Stormare sings to himself, all I can picture is him singing about cracking the shell of a hard boiled egg with a spoon and it being a metaphor for cracking skulls with his hammer. Anyone speak the language able to tell me if I'm far off, or know what language he's singing?

It was a song written specifically for the show and its in english? Unless I'm missing something.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
This show completes me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

punch drunk posted:

It was a song written specifically for the show and its in english? Unless I'm missing something.

Yeah it sounded like English to me, just REALLY hard to make out most of it

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I liked this episode a lot more than the first one - which I didn't NOT like, but I felt like this one flowed better and the tone was more consistent.

You know, I haven't played a ton of checkers, but from what I could tell from those shots of the game, Shadow is not very good at chess at all.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

precision posted:

Yeah, I always think of that as "Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar" first.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

In the book Laura saved Shadow from the Agency, not the Technical Boy's goons. But I can't think of anyone else who it would have been in this.

Also I thought the Coming to America story about the girl who was sentenced to transportation wasn't about Mad Sweeny. She was Cornish, not Irish.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Lemon posted:

In the book Laura saved Shadow from the Agency, not the Technical Boy's goons. But I can't think of anyone else who it would have been in this.

Also I thought the Coming to America story about the girl who was sentenced to transportation wasn't about Mad Sweeny. She was Cornish, not Irish.

Cornish and irish share much of the same myth, especially in the modern world where celtic myth is mostly lost and reconstructed.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Yeah but I seem to recall it mentioned the man in her story having a Cornish accent, which Sweeny doesn't.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lemon posted:

Yeah, and I think the dream sequence Shadow had of Laura not being dead was them foreshadowing that Shadow will find out it was she who saved him.

Lemon posted:

Yeah see, that's the part I remembered from the book. There was a girl who brought faeries with her. Somebody earlier in the thread said Sweeny had an origin story in the book and if so, I do not remember it. But that's possible too, my memory sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Just looked it up:

quote:

He squinted down at her, and she squinted right back up at him, searching his moon-face for a clue to his identity. He looked as young as one of her own grandchildren, yet he had called her by her old name, and there was a burr in his voice she knew from her childhood, from the rocks and the moors of her home.

“You’re a Cornishman?” she asked.

“That I am, a Cousin Jack,” said the red-haired man. “Or rather, that I was, but now I’m here in this new world, where nobody puts out ale or milk for an honest fellow, or a loaf of bread come harvest time.”

So I don't think it's Sweeney.

• Locked thread