Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
April
Jul 3, 2006

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I also really loved the Lakeside part of the story. I do really relate to you saying it has the same feelings as a sandboxy game/Stardew Valley (a game I really love) save.

I think a part of it is...up until the Lakeside part, Shadow's only interacting with gods, in their world. Then he has to figure out how to be human, among humans. It's his coming out of prison moment. Up until he gets to Lakeside, he doesn't have to sort out his life as a free man. And then suddenly, he does. I think it's my favorite part of the book just because it really gave more character to Shadow, who really loving needed it.

Also I totally dig the 'idyllic town with a dark secret' thing.

My first time reading the book, the Lakeside chapters were TERRIBLE, they slowed down the pace, they detracted from the real story, etc. Re-reading, however, made me love it. Like, Shadow's getting a break from supernatural beings for a while, time to regroup, forget about sacrifices & gods for a bit and OH COME ON, loving REALLY??? HERE TOO?? And it also plays so perfectly into the whole "Wednesday is pulling the strings all along, Shadow is just his puppet" thing. Even when you start to think that Shadow is acting under his own power, or that whatever is going on has nothing to do with the gods, nope. Brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Another clip

Innuendoh boy

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I want to go into the finale completely unsullied, and you're making it extremely difficult :argh:

That and my complete lack of self control, of course :smith:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

OMG! Cuz she was online dating to find her (victims? worshipers?). And that would be TechBoy's domain.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

precision posted:

I'm thinking that's Mormon Jesus
No I think that is WASP Jesus

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shadow... Moon?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That was kind of an underwhelming episode. The story tried to juggle too many balls and didn't quite keep it together, the CG was noticeably inferior compared to the other episodes, Judy Garland was not fun at all. Meh.

Edit: I should walk that back a little. The Bilquis stuff was well done, it was just at the House on the Rock that the CG started to look bad and the storytelling got clumsy

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 18, 2017

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lol so that's how they are ending at The house on the rock

April
Jul 3, 2006

In the first few minutes, when Anansi said "I'm going to tell you a story" I was all like OH YES IT'S MOTHERFUCKING TIGER BALLS TIME!!!!

The Bilquis stuff was beautifully done, but it was no tiger balls. :colbert:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

April posted:

In the first few minutes, when Anansi said "I'm going to tell you a story" I was all like OH YES IT'S MOTHERFUCKING TIGER BALLS TIME!!!!

The Bilquis stuff was beautifully done, but it was no tiger balls. :colbert:

I have not read the book what is the Tiger Balls oh wait I have google wtf am I thinking

Holy poo poo how the gently caress are they going to do this on screen hahahaha

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah the ONE THING I wanted this season was Orlando Jones singing "I got tiger's balls" :mad:

Really hoping they didn't cast Jeremy Davies for just that episode, he was perfect. "God drat it..." Also he was credited as "Jesus Prime" haha.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
FOURTEEN JESUSES

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
One of them even has a baby dinosaur might be my favorite line in the series. So drat on point.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

One of them even has a baby dinosaur might be my favorite line in the series. So drat on point.

Despite a lot of pacing problems, the parts of this episode that were good were really loving good

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Medullah posted:

please someone upload a screencap of this, i may have missed it because of the so many jesuses and of course asian jesus is in a nice suit

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

please someone upload a screencap of this, i may have missed it because of the so many jesuses and of course asian jesus is in a nice suit

They don't show it, but someone mentions it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Here's your screencap

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

k I am gonna rant a bit

one good idea the book had was how these "gods" are no loving gods at all but rather emergent beings from memory, folklore and scraps of beliefs mishmashed by a lot of different sources that eventually arise into a different, albeit similar, aspect from the "original" source

so then comes american odin and goes all "TASTE MY WRATH" with poo poo special effects and completely undersells the aspect that these guys are really loving weak and dying

imho if the point of the whole scene was to demonstrate the power of sincere individual belief they should have made wednesday deliver the speech first without anything happening at all (perhaps his eye changing to a gray one) and then asking shadow if he believes in him to THEN rain godly lightning on their asses

i also kinda dislike the whole lets make this poo poo flashy as gently caress in the side of the old gods because it completely undermines faith but w/e, show is its own beast now

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Wednesday just beheaded a god and pissed on his manufacturing plant... there's gotta be enough sacrifice even he himself created for a few lightning bolts, right?

April
Jul 3, 2006

CaveGrinch posted:

Wednesday just beheaded a god and pissed on his manufacturing plant... there's gotta be enough sacrifice even he himself created for a few lightning bolts, right?

That reminds me of one of my favorite scenes:

"I dedicate these deaths to Ostara."
"What dea--"
POW!!!!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
In total honesty because that's the in thing right now: I don't really like the idea of gods being shaped by belief. I don't even actually like the idea of gods needing belief. No one believes in the old gods nowadays, so that must mean they're weak and starved for worship, right?

But that's such a...contemporary notion of very non-contemporary gods. It's not actually godly. It's not actually mythological. In actual mythology -- which is a bit of an oxymoron, I know -- the idea of gods being reliant on humans for anything is incredibly rare to the point of being anathematic to what godhood is. And I shouldn't have to mention how unmythological it is to imagine that these creators of humanity are actually just creations of humanity. The gods of the tales are the ultimate kings and queens, the ultimate fathers and mothers; humans are their children, not the other way around, and the idea of them being beholden to any but the most powerful and courageous of their children -- legendary figures who basically prove their worthiness and eventually ascend to godhood themselves -- is not treating their mythology in the authentic context.

Basically if you tell me that Odin has become a shadow of his former self because not enough people believe in him, my first thought is "Well, that's not Odin. That's some character that some twentieth-century writer came up with and has attached twentieth-century ideas onto; more power to him, but what he made ain't actually all that godly, much less Odinly." I can accept gods dying. I can accept them even losing power over time and withering away into nothing. It's the specific attachment of human faith and human necessity to the equation that breaks the dam for me.

So yeah, all that being said...this is such an entertaining show and I really enjoyed that finale. Looking forward to the next season! :toot:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/18/american-gods-season-1-finale-inside-episode-neil-gaiman/

<15-min post-mortem with the cast & neil gaiman

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

But that's such a...contemporary notion of very non-contemporary gods

But that is exactly what the "American Gods" are, they are contemporary - the old ones are in the old world.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

dead comedy forums posted:

But that is exactly what the "American Gods" are, they are contemporary - the old ones are in the old world.

Yeah, that's pretty much the point of the novel entirely. Since this is the book spoiler thread, it's not even a subtle hint that there can be multiple versions of the same God, this episode had a bunch of different Jesii :D

Sartana
Jun 8, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

In total honesty because that's the in thing right now: I don't really like the idea of gods being shaped by belief. I don't even actually like the idea of gods needing belief. No one believes in the old gods nowadays, so that must mean they're weak and starved for worship, right?

But that's such a...contemporary notion of very non-contemporary gods. It's not actually godly. It's not actually mythological. In actual mythology -- which is a bit of an oxymoron, I know -- the idea of gods being reliant on humans for anything is incredibly rare to the point of being anathematic to what godhood is. And I shouldn't have to mention how unmythological it is to imagine that these creators of humanity are actually just creations of humanity. The gods of the tales are the ultimate kings and queens, the ultimate fathers and mothers; humans are their children, not the other way around, and the idea of them being beholden to any but the most powerful and courageous of their children -- legendary figures who basically prove their worthiness and eventually ascend to godhood themselves -- is not treating their mythology in the authentic context.

Basically if you tell me that Odin has become a shadow of his former self because not enough people believe in him, my first thought is "Well, that's not Odin. That's some character that some twentieth-century writer came up with and has attached twentieth-century ideas onto; more power to him, but what he made ain't actually all that godly, much less Odinly." I can accept gods dying. I can accept them even losing power over time and withering away into nothing. It's the specific attachment of human faith and human necessity to the equation that breaks the dam for me.

So yeah, all that being said...this is such an entertaining show and I really enjoyed that finale. Looking forward to the next season! :toot:

Think of it this way - these aren't "true gods", because they are the invention of man. None of them created the universe, the universe created them through worship. It's a different interpretation of religion than the mythological interpretation.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

BrianWilly posted:

But that's such a...contemporary notion of very non-contemporary gods. It's not actually godly. It's not actually mythological. In actual mythology -- which is a bit of an oxymoron, I know -- the idea of gods being reliant on humans for anything is incredibly rare to the point of being anathematic to what godhood is.

I absolutely agree, but basically by watching a show like this you're agreeing to suspend disbelief and indulge in the sort of New Age woo, mind-over-matter, power of belief that Gaiman and now Fuller are drawing on, at least for the sake of the story. That's the mythology the show is actually about, not Norse or Greek or Hawaiian or whatever. That stuff's just window dressing. (As it is in most fiction, unfortunately.)

e: Or perhaps it would be more accurate not to call it window dressing, but to say that American Gods has a totalizing lens through which it views all other mythology. Which, to be fair, is very American. :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BrianWilly posted:

Basically if you tell me that Odin has become a shadow of his former self because not enough people believe in him, my first thought is "Well, that's not Odin."

I mean, you're not wrong. Did you forget the line in the book? "He is me, but I am not him."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

dead comedy forums posted:

k I am gonna rant a bit

one good idea the book had was how these "gods" are no loving gods at all but rather emergent beings from memory, folklore and scraps of beliefs mishmashed by a lot of different sources that eventually arise into a different, albeit similar, aspect from the "original" source

so then comes american odin and goes all "TASTE MY WRATH" with poo poo special effects and completely undersells the aspect that these guys are really loving weak and dying

imho if the point of the whole scene was to demonstrate the power of sincere individual belief they should have made wednesday deliver the speech first without anything happening at all (perhaps his eye changing to a gray one) and then asking shadow if he believes in him to THEN rain godly lightning on their asses

i also kinda dislike the whole lets make this poo poo flashy as gently caress in the side of the old gods because it completely undermines faith but w/e, show is its own beast now
I do feel, and not just since this episode, that in the pursuit of visual spectacle the show slightly lost its direction on some of the themes and characterizations of the book, probably to the surprise of no one who watched Hannibal.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Hannibal didn't "lose" those things so much as it has its own and doesn't care what the book did. Like, Hannibal Lecter in the books is a cold, rational predator. He's like a shark, or a murderous android; he's not that interesting, honestly, but doesn't need to be since he's more of a plot device than anything else. In the TV series though he's a main character and so by necessity Fuller makes him into this larger than life Dracula / Lucifer character instead, and it owns.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
offscreen: wednesday drinking an entire basement full of vulcan's god juice.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
With the show in hiatus now, where oh where can I get my weekly dose of disturbingly large cocks on muh teevee?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mycomancy posted:

With the show in hiatus now, where oh where can I get my weekly dose of disturbingly large cocks on muh teevee?

Buy a dildo. All the dicks onscreen this season were dildos or CGI, per Fuller. I find it pretty dumb honestly. I'll never understand why the entertainment industry caters to the general public's hysterical aversion to the penis (especially erect ones).

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

mycomancy posted:

It's 2017, getting a dong on your screen really isn't hard to do.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

precision posted:

Buy a dildo. All the dicks onscreen this season were dildos or CGI, per Fuller. I find it pretty dumb honestly. I'll never understand why the entertainment industry caters to the general public's hysterical aversion to the penis (especially erect ones).
Because this country was colonized by puritans, Calvinists, and other such heathens who lived a constant miserable existence of repression and thinking that working till you were dead was admirable.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah but if you're that kind of American then this show is already going to offend you, which is why I find it specifically strange that they would bother with fake dicks. It's as weird to me, as someone who is not afraid of dicks, as it would be if films and shows had topless women wear prosthetic breasts that looked just like their normal breasts (though maybe larger).

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Maybe none of the dudes who got naked for the show have tv ready dicks :shrug:

And I'm no prude, but tbh erect dicks are more along the lines of like, glistening spread vulvas, not tits. Not to say any of that should be taboo, necessarily, but I think it's fair to say there are like, levels involved

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

precision posted:

They generally don't show vaginas either, just fuzzy merkin bikinis. We get boobs, but de-sexualizing boobs a bit and letting women go topless is a good thing so lets not complain about that part.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Down with Sexualized Titties: Titties are Baby Food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

precision posted:

Some actors and actresses also don't want to be naked in front of the camera. Some charge more for it. Could easily be one or both of those things, or even just a rating issue since the one episode showed simulated penetration. Keep dicks off to keep it rating friendly for when it's released on DVD.

• Locked thread