Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
In the book it literally says that Shadow's called Shadow because as a kid he used to follow his mom around like...a shadow. It's a kiddie nickname that stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

DentD posted:

This was from the other thread but I didn't want to discuss Gaiman over there anyway yes, I agree with that. But also I feel like Gaiman has a small preoccupation with dicks and piss. I swear I've read more passages mentioning either dicks or piss or both in his writing than anyone else's.

Thanks to you, I can't stop loving noticing all the piss mentions in Fragile Things, which I started rereading earlier today. There's A Lot.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Toast Museum posted:

Hearing it aloud has to make a difference. I listened to the audiobook, going in with nothing more than "there are gods in this." The narrator enunciated "Low-Key" as much as possible, but my immediate reaction was still "oh okay, it's Loki." The show clearly isn't interested in keeping viewers in the dark about anyone's identity for long, but I wonder if Shadow will figure it out sooner in the show too.

That reminds me, does the book explicitly identify Shadow as Baldr? I don't remember that at all if it did.

The book only identifies him as Wednesday's son, we never find out his actual first name. In Monarch of the Glen he specifically says that his name is Baldr, though it might have been spelt as Balder, I don't remember.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Goddamn it's so frustrating that this episode ends exactly where the last one ends, I want poo poo to progress already! But at the same time, I really appreciated this episode. The expansion of Laura's character is SO good, I love that she's gone from Shadow's dead wife, who he loved and who is totally devoted to him in her undeath to Shadow's dead wife, who loved her more than she loved him, who is the reason he's in prison, who is just a super hosed up person. There's just a whole lot more going on and it's loving good.

I'm so happy for Audrey's reappearance, she's surprisingly become one of my favorites just because she's the only regular-rear end person in the series so far. I love her. She was such a nothing in the book, it's such a surprise I give a poo poo but that's adaptations.

And Ibis is just like I pictured :allears:.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Julio Cruz posted:

That was one of the two shots that made me laugh out loud during that scene. The other was, as they're walking in Ibis is carrying her arm and holding hands with it.

I missed this, does anyone have a cap/gif?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Escape Addict posted:

I have to admit that I am another goon that found Lakeside to be my absolute favorite part of the book. I know that's weird, but it's true. It's hard to even explain why.

I think maybe it taps into a fantasy of stepping into another life with a new name, no debts, a stack of hundred dollar bills, and no responsibility. I like that Shadow just meets the townsfolk and buys boring old books and reads them because he has literally nothing better to do. He eats pasties and practices his coin tricks in a barren almost totally unfurnished apartment in a Fargo/Twin Peaks kinda town.

Reading the Lakeside section fills me with the same cozy feeling as playing Stardew Valley. Or beginning any other kind of sandbox-style RPG where there's no sense of impending doom. In video games, and even media in general, that's kind of rare. There's always some loving crisis lighting a fire under my rear end, so by comparison, it's this relaxing sinking-into-a-bath feeling to be totally free to be bored if you want to be, with no negative consequences.

I also really loved the Lakeside part of the story. I do really relate to you saying it has the same feelings as a sandboxy game/Stardew Valley (a game I really love) save.

I think a part of it is...up until the Lakeside part, Shadow's only interacting with gods, in their world. Then he has to figure out how to be human, among humans. It's his coming out of prison moment. Up until he gets to Lakeside, he doesn't have to sort out his life as a free man. And then suddenly, he does. I think it's my favorite part of the book just because it really gave more character to Shadow, who really loving needed it.

Also I totally dig the 'idyllic town with a dark secret' thing.

• Locked thread