Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Coming here from the TV-only thread, still annoyed by the legions of people who didn't figure out/are surprised that Shadow is black or mixed-race. I don't know how many times people have to ask him, in novel, where he's from (or even that one guard asking if he had "n***** blood"), but it seems pretty silly that readers didn't pick up on that.

I seem to recall an interview with Gaiman where he said he didn't want to describe Shadow as being "cappucino colored" or whatever cliche nonsense people write when they write black characters, as black people don't go through their day thinking about what food matches their skin. I thought it was pretty realistic to only have it come up when other people brought it up.

Apparently Gaiman had the same problem with Anansi Boys, which is about the sons of Mr. Nancy. Because the main character is a nerd, he couldn't be black! Despite his dad being the incarnation of an African deity. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Grouchy Fish posted:

Related to this, I've always wondered who is the god Shadow meets that he can't remember anything about. In the book, all Shadow remembers is that he had an impression of great wealth or something like that so I figure he must be a god with some worshipers.

So I re-read the book in anticipation of the show and got caught on this and had to go look it up. My best guess is that it's Mercury - or some variation thereof - as he was a god of luck, money, and quickness. The section of the book where Shadow meets him is in Vegas, and Mercury (or the nameless god) is able to spot luck and follow money, and decides to help out a random waitress.

The forgetfulness might be a reference to quicksilver, or the element mercury, that is a metaphor for something slipping away or being hard to grasp.

• Locked thread