Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

After reading this thread I have realized that I barely remember anything from the book. I don't even remember who half of the characters are but I guess it should make it a more interesting viewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I'm already enjoying the show more than the book. If it keeps it up I'm sure that will be the case for me.

Edit: and speaking about Loki, at the time I read the book I had basically no knowledge of Norse mythology so it was sort of a moot point, but even if I did in my language "Loki" is pronounced as "Lucky" so I probably wouldn't have noticed.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 9, 2017

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I just hope the show gets finished however many season it shall take.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Something that occurred to me, and maybe this is old hat for you book readers, but is "gods" a metaphor for "culture?" Everyone who comes to American brings their culture from their home country, but in coming to America, the old culture is never the same, it takes on a bastardized new form, distinct from the original culture in their homelands; Irish culture in America is different from how it is in Ireland, for example. But all of these old cultures and now being forgotten and left behind by new cultures that are sprouting up natively in America, cultures that are less humanizing: internet culture, media culture, military-industrial-complex culture.

Yeah, some "gods" (especially the new ones) are neither actual gods nor worshipped in the strict sense. In fact that's one of the main ideas of the book, that people will always "worship" anything and move on unapologetically, leaving old customs and traditions behind.

• Locked thread