Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I pictured Nancy as a fat older man in a big yellow suit.

It was the gloves that were yellow (lemon yellow), not the suit, and he had a thin mustache in the book. My memory is that he was described as fairly thin/small in general, and that he was great at karaoke. Part of that may be coming from Anansi Boys, though.

Edit: And yeah, Mr. Nancy never really seemed to care about race - but I'd be willing to bet that scene is intentionally misleading and taken out of context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Zaphod42 posted:

But that's what's so perfect about the scene, and what shows good things for the future of this show. They were going off-book but it perfectly fits the tone of Mr. Nancy.

He wasn't angry. He was smiling. It was the slave in the ship who was angry, and he was applauding the anger; because anger gets poo poo done. Nancy isn't angry, at least not in the same way. He's the master trickster. He knows exactly how to push people's buttons and play them to get them to do what he wants. And that's exactly what he's doing :)

Its so perfect when he mentions farming indigo for purple suits as he tugs on his own purple suit. He's a showman, and he's selling himself to them. Same as Wednesday.

I took that as him deceiving the slaves as well, to an extent. So much of what he's saying would have no meaning for a slave bound for America - tobacco, cancer, police, etc. He's the embodiment of fear of what's coming, knowledge that where they are is a bad place to be but to an extent, the unknown. Technical Boy did the same thing, except was more forthcoming about his weirdness - but he's also very new, and probably doesn't see it as a bad thing. Mr. Nancy's appearance was more as he imagined himself, rather than his current corporeal form.

Maybe I'm way off base, but I have a feeling that scene was intentionally but I still think that scene was intentionally misleading in some way. If nothing else, it fits the character perfectly.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Zaphod42 posted:

THIS RULES

I want to see White Jesus meet Black Jesus so loving bad.

I want to see Pentecostal Jesus get into a fight with Presbyterian Jesus. Wouldn't it make more sense to break them up by denomination rather than race?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Escape Addict posted:

Mr. Wednesday's talk about our collective faith in aviation makes me think there ought to be a New God of Airplanes. Like the Railroad God of the 1800's.

He tells Shadow never to take the highways, because that's the territory of a Transportation or Freeway God, maybe it's just the God of Cars. Automobile fatalities are one hell of a vehicle for human sacrifice, so Car God is probably really strong. Think of how car enthusiasts fetishize the latest models, or fawn over classic cars. Lots of blood and money for the Car God.

I bet there is a Spectator Sport God, like some NBA/NFL/NHL/NASCAR/WWE hybrid superfan. Maybe he's Media's brother.

There are car gods mentioned in the book, and it's specifically mentioned that the sacrifice they accumulate is "tens of thousands each year, a human sacrifice unheard of since the Aztecs" or something along those lines.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

BrianWilly posted:

Hm. I'm really enjoying this show. But there are definitely some significant changes of impression compared to the book. And changing the impression of the story almost changes the story more than any blunt-force rejiggerings of the plot itself necessary for a TV adaptation.

The whole thing in the book is that the old gods are basically hanging on by the thinnest of threads. Most of the them aren't quite destitute hobos yet, but ain't that far off either. They have to resort to mundane jobs and mundane existences just to get by. When I envision the gods from the books, they're basically all but powerless and have only their wits and tricks to get by with.

And we do see that in this show...but there's also so much focus here, I feel, being placed on how wondrous and majestic these gods actually are. Maybe because this is a visual and aural medium where that sort of thing is so much easier to convey. Czernobog is a ratty old guy in a ratty old apartment, but he also comes across powerful and fearsome. Anansi isn't just a kooky guy telling tales out of the blue; his words have power to influence momentous events with dramatic consequences. That's kind of a far cry from the book going out of its way to stress that America is a bad land for gods to grow in, unlike other places where the gods could actually shape the course of people and countries.

And with this episode, I feel like the old gods are coming across even more alive and present than ever. Like...if Anubis is really still guiding Egyptian souls to the afterlife, he's totally still fulfilling his function. He's literally still doing exactly what he's always done. He feels like the jackal-headed Anubis of old, no more but no less. It's really cool, mind you, it's just that I wonder if it undermines the series' own central themes a bit, of the old gods being needy and bereft while the new grow fat with power.

I wanted to point out that Anansi's sole scene so far is from when he literally came to America. When it's more likely than not that there were not only multiple people on the ship who believed in him, but also that their belief would be at its strongest given their situation. I'm curious to see his modern form, and whether he still has the same power. When Odin came to America, men who literally crewed the same boat went to battle with one another to sacrifice themselves to him. Now he's hustling his way into first class and stealing from banks to make ends meet.

The gods we've seen so far carry themselves with majesty and as if they were still powerful, but their living situations tell a different story. None of them are living high on the hog (except the Jesuses - probably).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The scenes with Audrey were stellar. The combination of "I should hate this person but...she also used to be my best friend and there was clearly no malice. And she's dead. WTF" was done perfectly. Also glad to see Ibis and Jacquel.

DentD posted:

Once again I feel like I need to re-read the book. Because I swear that Laura had been kind of an awful person there too. She was the reason Shadow went to prison.

Maybe I'm imagining all of that.

IIRC, she was involved in the plan in the book, but not the reason he went to prison. I think that the actual reason for his sentence wasn't the robbery, but that he beat the poo poo out of a couple guys who were also involved after they tried to hold out on him. It was just assault - nobody fessed up to why he beat them.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

One thing that caught me by surprise (and this is mostly Media) is just how frightening the new gods are. They've done a great job making all of the new gods so far seem a bit other-worldly, albeit very powerful, but very nonhuman. Wednesday, Czernobog, etc. are clearly a bit different from some random rear end in a top hat you'd run into on the street, but they can pass as eccentric. From the book, Media always seemed more intent on bringing peace if possible, almost a little goofy. Here, Gillian Anderson has made her this terrifying alien. Awesome job.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Zurui posted:

I can simultaneously enjoy deeply enjoy a novel while acknowledging its flaws. If anything, diving deep into literary criticism is the sign of a true fan.

This. More to the point, I'd rather enjoy a book despite its flaws than look for reasons to dislike it. But that's just me.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Not really. It leads you to a richer enjoyment of things that are actually good.

What would you consider "actually good"

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean, I love all kinds of trash media, it's not like I set the bar all that high. But even if we're just talking about Neil Gaiman in particular then Sandman and his short stories are much better than any of his full-length novels.

e: sandman's kind of apples to oranges of course but then again that's also why it works

That doesn't answer my question.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

ZorajitZorajit posted:

The episode felt like filler so close to the finale, I was at least hoping for Laura to meet a Jesus. But I'm glad that they did tell all of the Essie story, one of my favorite segments of the book.

They mentioned Essie in the book? I don't remember that part at all.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Medullah posted:

Oh I thought we were talking about the car accident with Laura and Sweeney, which I don't actually remember being in the book accident. Oh yeah, definitely the accident that killed Laura was him.

Missed this post. My guess for the accident in this episode is Eostre. She's the namesake of Easter and while rabbits have nothing to do with her traditionally, it's pointed out in the book that modern American Easter has little to do with her original formation. Rabbits are important in modern Easter, which is still worshiped, however. What her motivation is, I have zero idea.

On a side note - did I miss something where we're spoilering things in this thread? It's a spoiler thread for book readers - I thought anything that's already aired, speculation, and in this case anything in the book would be fair game. Are future book events not fair game or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

precision posted:

Buy a dildo. All the dicks onscreen this season were dildos or CGI, per Fuller. I find it pretty dumb honestly. I'll never understand why the entertainment industry caters to the general public's hysterical aversion to the penis (especially erect ones).

Some actors and actresses also don't want to be naked in front of the camera. Some charge more for it. Could easily be one or both of those things, or even just a rating issue since the one episode showed simulated penetration. Keep dicks off to keep it rating friendly for when it's released on DVD.

• Locked thread