Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Dickie loving Bennett. I am fully behind him being in pretty much anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

precision posted:

e: Gaiman and Pratchett both do the "Mr. Pin and Mr. Tulip" trope a lot too, and it was cool to see that trope show up in Preacher last season

Yeah, I always think of that as "Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar" first.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Wizchine posted:

I was thinking of an Urban Fantasy series I'd been reading (Eric Carter). Most UF novels feature a lot of European stuff, but the only Gods knocking around in this series so far are the Aztec ones, strongly featuring Santa Muerte as an aspect of Mictēcacihuātl. The protagonist is cornered into marrying her. The series also includes her former husband, Mictlantecuhtli, Quetzalcoatl, plus a trip to Mictlan in book 3. .

Totally off-topic, but are they any good? I like the genre but there are a lot of terrible writers working in it. I think I passed the Eric Carter stuff over because the cover looked really cheap and reminded me of a really awful self-published kindle UF series that I picked up the first 2 books for less than a pound (and still felt ripped off). The Hellaquin chronicals I think that was called? I'm looking for a new urban fantasy series thats not complete trash, or is at least enjoyable trash.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Wizchine posted:

I like his stuff. He writes a good pulp noir. And he writes well about the city of LA - he's not all taken in with the Hollywood stuff, which is what most writers can't help themselves from focusing on. My criticisms are that the protagonist isn't really well fleshed out, and some of the locations and action are sort of forgettable, but I enjoy it while I'm reading it.

My advice is to read City of the Lost, first. It's a standalone that takes place in the same LA, with one or two of the same supporting characters, but the protagonist (Joe Sunday) is more colorful than Eric Carter. (That book doesn't go into the Aztec stuff, though.) If you like his writing, though, you'll enjoy the Eric Carter series, too.

Cool, I'll give him a try, thanks!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Isn't she also reading a book about egyptian mythology during the opening montage? If she's an atheist who is surrounded by egyptian kitsch and knows a bit of the mythology Anubis makes as much sense as anyone.

Until the show tells me otherwise, i'm going to assume that the "circumstances of your death" referred to the circumstances of her death being engineered by Odin. She didnt believe in anything, so presumably no-one else would be claiming her* and he decided to psychopomp her (I have no idea of what the verb would be here) because his "side" caused her death and it costs him nothing to do. Not his fault she refused to go along with it.

I last read the book years ago, and just loaned my copy to a colleague who watched the first 3 episodes back to back and loved them, so any of this could be contradicted by the book (or a later episode), but as none of this episode was IN the book as far as I remember I'm happy enough with my interpretation.

*I'm assuming. I dont think the book really goes into what happens to atheists when the die, or in fact anyone who hasnt drawn the attention of the old gods one way or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

stereobreadsticks posted:

I'm the book her name is Tregowan instead of MacGowan, she's Cornish instead of Irish, and she brings an otherwise unnamed Cornish fairy (I think a pixie? Can't remember) instead of Mad Sweeney. Otherwise the story's identical.

Cousin Jack is either the faeries name or type in the book, I'm not that up on cornish mythology.

• Locked thread