Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Peter Stormare as Czernobog is going to be a lot of fun and I don't know if they could have cast anyone better for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Hubbardologist posted:

Now I view Gaiman's decision to not explicitly state Shadow's heritage as pretty clever, and it's made me think more about assumptions we make of characters in books and why.

It's more an indicator of just how little attention people pay to the books they read.

Of course Shadow is black. Never mind the characters that say something about it throughout the book, his name is literally Shadow.

This is like the people that were upset over Rue being black in the Hunger Games movie even when she's explicitly described as black in the book.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

a kitten posted:

Was the bit where Wednesday pokes fun at Shadow's name in the book? I don't remember but i love it.

There is something in the book (much farther past House on the Rock) where Wednesday asks him why he goes by that name instead of the name he was born with, but nothing that really came across as mockery.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Aardark posted:

Is it a common name for black folks? :confused:

No, but expecting a character in a book that is all about names and symbolism to be white when they are named Shadow is idiotic.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

DentD posted:

So, it's been awhile since I last gave the book a re-read. I don't remember: did Wednesday know from the get go that Shadow was his kid?

I almost screamed when I heard the line, "I offer you the worm from my beak, and you look at me like I hosed your mom?"

Yes. Wednesday & Loki are also responsible for what happened to Laura. Wednesday straight up tells Shadow that the whole Vigil thing wouldn't have worked if Shadow hadn't been his son.

The only reason Wednesday/Loki's plot failed was that Shadow throws a wrench in the battle that was supposed to revive them.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Aardark posted:

Is it idiotic? Might one not expect a book that is all about names and symbolism to be a bit deeper than shadow = black dude?

Not when said character is repeatedly asked about their racial heritage that is definitely not white.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

showbiz_liz posted:

They've said they're going to significantly expand the amount of screentime all the gods get and show much more of what they're all doing, rather than just spending 50 loving pages hanging out with Shadow in a small town eating pasties, and thank god, because I spent half of the book pissed off that there was an epic war between the gods happening that we barely got to see.

Well, to be fair, the Lakeside side-story was incredibly hosed up and had a decent payoff at the end of the book.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Fritzler posted:

Yeah, I think of that reveal as one of the best things in the book actually.

Also Shadow is so obviously not-white, but I can kind of understand someone thinking he is white since he's supposed to be a Norse god (Baldr).

Eh. With people missing the obvious bits where he's described as not-white, I'm pretty sure they would also miss the Baldr references.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Crow Jane posted:

Is that worth picking up? The stack of books I've been meaning to read has gotten pretty high, but I feel somewhat obligated to get that one

I laughed at a lot of it, for whatever that may be worth.

Thor is a hilarious dickhead to everyone in it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Crow Jane posted:

Another one for the pile, then. After I get around to finishing Trigger Warning.

Along these lines, has anyone come across any good anthologies of Slavic/Eastern European folklore?

Maybe something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Russian-Fair...slavic+folklore

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
EDIT ^^^^ That was Whiskey Jack.

double nine posted:

Wasn't there a scene in the book where shadows talks with a totally not jesus holy figure guy in white clothes, bright lights, with undistinguished features? IIRC when he's at the vigil?

It was actually totally Jesus in the 10th Anniversary Edition of the book, but he never met him in the original novel.

He was just some guy in a mansion setting during the vigil, and Shadow got a good look at him. He basically said he welcomed the new gods of guns and hatred and other things, because having those gods would take the pressure of his shoulders due to the people that expected that behavior from him.

Basically, being a god where people expected various degrees of all things from him meant he was spread so thin he didn't have a real life outside of his mansion.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I haven't had a chance to really watch the show yet, but I hope we get to see Czernobog's "gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you and the loving horse you rode the gently caress in on. You will die a woman's death" stuff at the Technical Boy at the hunter's motel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
It could also be Loki/Mr. World. Because the Technical Boy is loving his plan up by letting the children lynch Shadow.

• Locked thread