Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Just a quick note for the OP, another difference is the Technical Boy didn't have his henchmen try and kill Shadow. Shadow was going to be dropped off at the hotel after the conversation and warning but he got out early and walked the rest of the way. In the TV series he didn't even leave Shadow with the message for Wednesday, which makes snse given he was expecting Shadow to die. The whole setup for the next scene is completely divorced from the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Lemon posted:

In the book Laura saved Shadow from the Agency, not the Technical Boy's goons. But I can't think of anyone else who it would have been in this.

Given the Media scene that's pretty obvious by this point. Although that was one part of the episode I thought they screwed the pooch, the scene with Media makes zero sense without the context of why they may think Shadow is important. If they knew what happened when he was lynched then they know it wasn't Shadow and if they don't know then all they have to work on is he managed to survive a lynching.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

That's a lot of Jesuses

I kinda want to see what Baby Jesus would be like. Given how often he's invoked and the circumstances surrounding it I'd imagine him a scared little kid or the most sarcastic 12 year old ever.

Edit:
I know it's been said that they were planning on ending this season at the House but they've been playing/skipping to several scenes that were long past that point in the novel.

And damnit I really want to see Laura. I was really disappointed with the Sweeney scene (about the coin), the mystery and prophetic reveal in the book was so much more interesting.

Edit #2:
And to be clear, by see Laura I mean the whole scene not just that cliff hanger.

nessin fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 15, 2017

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

DentD posted:

Once again I feel like I need to re-read the book. Because I swear that Laura had been kind of an awful person there too. She was the reason Shadow went to prison.

Maybe I'm imagining all of that.

Was anyone else skeeved out by Shadow confronting Laura in the parking lot at the beginning? I didn't feel any sexual chemistry between them. I felt like this woman wanted nothing to do with him and wanted to leave but had no options with him leaning over her.

Glad to see Audrey returned. It'll be interesting to see if she shows up in Lakeside still and how that will work. And wow Dane Cook was the perfect douchebag to cast as Robbie.

In the book Laura doesn't have much of a backstory. She admits to cheating on Shadow because Shadow felt like he was never really "alive" and Robbie did along with the standard shoulder to cry on moment. Other than that and a few snippets about how being dead makes it harder to attach the same feelings to past events, which mostly revolved around discussing the relationship with Robbie. That's about it in the book. Also in the book Shadow agreed to do a bank robbery for Laura and she wasn't directly involved.

Edit:
Also in the books there is no meeting between Laura and Audrey, basically this entire episode doesn't exist except for the relationship with Robbie.

The imagery of Laura's Shadow-radar was pretty awesome though.

nessin fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 22, 2017

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Just finished my reading (listening) to the audiobook that I started after the first episode but then got diverted on. I know it's going to be a long ways out but I think the two scenes I'm going to be most looking forward to seeing how they play them out on the big screen will be the final scene(s) of the main plot, specifically the encounter between Loki and Laura, and Laura and Shadow, then the end of the book with Czernobog and his coming transformation. After this episode I bet they could do some fun stuff with the later but since it's after the resolution of the story I doubt they'd spend a lot of time with it assuming they even show it at all.

Edit:
I was really skeptical they'd be able to get multiple seasons out of the book, but seeing how they're breaking it up and filling in backstory so far there is a poo poo ton of room expansion. If this seasons ends at the House, even with the occasional dip past it, then the entire next season could just be Cairo and part of Lakeside, another season for finishing up Lakeside up to the center of the US, another season devoted to just diverging from the book to flesh out the characters for the battle, and a final season for the vigil and story finisher.

nessin fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone figure out what was going on in the intro scene for this episode? Didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. In the book the god (screw trying to spell it out) tells his people they need to move to avoid a cataclysm they can't understand which turns out to be some sort of ancient Tunguska event, and they move his effigy and the Shaman dies (sacrificed, whatever) before making it to North America which itself is fruitful but as people grow and expand they forget about the original god.

In this it looks like they were told to move to avoid starvation but found nothing, the Shaman was sacrificed to provide food but then it seems like the tribe killed the god in buffalo form to harvest his meat and that was about it?

• Locked thread