Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Sorry Low-Key Lyesmith was horrible and I'm not going to not say it because one person doesn't want anyone to say so. I don't know why Neil Gaiman thought that was a clever alias. At least Mr. Wednesday and Mr. Nancy had some nuance.

Just making his last name Smith instead of Lyesmith would be good enough, come on man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Choco1980 posted:

When I was a teenager, and into my early 20s, I was a super-duper Gaiman fanboy. Heck, I met the woman who would become my ex-wife and mother to my child through a Sandman yahoo group. That said, as I've gotten older, I've realized that he has really big flaws I was ignoring. He's got some absolutely fantastic writing-Sandman for instance definitely holds up, and Overture felt like a return to old friends in that regard as he brought his a-game with him, but he just as often phones it in-Eternals for instance. His novels can be okay, but he goes to the same well far too often. Think about how many of his stories involve a seemingly normal person, who meets a mysterious, possibly magical or alien stranger, who whisks him away on a crazy adventure where the previously thought ordinary protagonist becomes the key to saving everything? How often does he invoke the Mother-Maiden-Crone trope? Really, I would say his best material is his short fiction, as there he is much more efficient and economical with the good bits, not having to add predictive side stories or whatever.

I've more than once noticed a scene in one of his novels as being straight-up lifted from Sandman. In Neverwhere it happens in like the first five pages!

I really didn't find anything worthwhile about Overture though, personally. Which was disappointing, I hyped myself up for it far too much.

• Locked thread