Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

precision posted:

Seriously though there's no way they will, even Game of Thrones doesn't show erect dong.
And that's what we call upping the ante. Seems like Lucy's tits are about the only thing we're not gonna get to see in this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I kinda hope not cause I feel like Shadow on his own, with no idea what the gods are up to, is a central element of the book's pacing, but I can see how it's easier to pull off in a book where you don't have to justify having Ian McShane in the credits.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Probably just snappier for a TV show. Everyone knows cancer is bad news. If the audience has to recall what sickle cell anaemia is, they're gonna miss the next two lines. It works in a book because you can take a quick break.

I'm not surprised they're expanding Salim and the ifrit's story, it's got a lot to it. Culture clash, immigrant experience, exploitation of workers, homosexuality, it's a rich vein to mine in the year 2017. I hope they're being really smart and making the ifrit an Uber driver.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've been trying to work out what rubs me the wrong way about Anansi's scene in episode 2, and I think I finally nailed it down: it's the suit. It makes him look like a time traveller, they should have given him an extravagant, but period accurate costume. Very possibly something of African origin, in fact.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It may not be that far off but it's also from a period that's about as far away from 1697 as from 2017 :colbert:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I would have subtitled that whole scene :colbert:

I've got to concede the point, though: I now learned that Orlando Jones specifically called for purple colors in the suit because that's an Ashanti colour of royalty. And fair enough: if you're gonna have a modern suit, that's the way to do it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm getting real strong Sandman vibes from this show as it is. Especially the Anubis scene in this episode reminded me very much of an.early Sandman issue where Dream follows Death around as she takes some souls.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Maybe it's because I read the book, but I don't feel like I needed an entire episode's worth of backstory here. I got outright bored during the first half, second picked back up with some excellent scenes but I'm not really feeling this one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bryan Fuller I love what you're doing with visuals in this show but if you were gonna have Laura retell the story in three minutes anyway you didn't need to make me sit through the boring-rear end last episode.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean we've seen Anansi as a colourful spider dude who has a thing for freeing people, concluding that the colourful spider that frees Shadow and Wednesday is Anansi is not exactly a huge stretch of the imagination

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The line blurs a bit with smartphones though since most of what they do probably falls under Tech Boy's portfolio, with the social media connections and all.

Is it relevant that Tech Boy's MO for attacking his enemies is setting a horde of faceless goons on his enemies? Surely it is.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's veering quite close to Warren Ellis' Jenny Sparks, the spirit of the 20th century, who is the manifestation of electricity. Not that someone shouldn't make Authority and, while we're at it, Planetary shows.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean this is the Hannibal guy we're talking about.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure I've seen any comic writer translate into a really good long form prose writer. It's an entirely different set of mental muscles and it's hard to shake the bad habits you pick up writing comics because you can get away with certain things you can't in prose.
I'm reading Alan Moore's Jerusalem and while I'm not far enough in to make any grand judgement, so far it's really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

dead comedy forums posted:

k I am gonna rant a bit

one good idea the book had was how these "gods" are no loving gods at all but rather emergent beings from memory, folklore and scraps of beliefs mishmashed by a lot of different sources that eventually arise into a different, albeit similar, aspect from the "original" source

so then comes american odin and goes all "TASTE MY WRATH" with poo poo special effects and completely undersells the aspect that these guys are really loving weak and dying

imho if the point of the whole scene was to demonstrate the power of sincere individual belief they should have made wednesday deliver the speech first without anything happening at all (perhaps his eye changing to a gray one) and then asking shadow if he believes in him to THEN rain godly lightning on their asses

i also kinda dislike the whole lets make this poo poo flashy as gently caress in the side of the old gods because it completely undermines faith but w/e, show is its own beast now
I do feel, and not just since this episode, that in the pursuit of visual spectacle the show slightly lost its direction on some of the themes and characterizations of the book, probably to the surprise of no one who watched Hannibal.

• Locked thread