Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Before I started reading the book I had stumbled on Gaimen's blog post about his dream casting for Shadow being Vin Diesel so I just sort of let that inform my image. All the race questions kind of made sense since I always got those too growing up, and they were always the stupidest guesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I recall Jesus was only mentioned in passing as not being the most popular figure in Palestine, maybe?

Also I thought the Shadow Gaiman had envisioned was pre huge Dwayne Johnson

I think Wednesday complains that he's a man who could fall in poo poo and come up smelling like roses and then mentions the Mithras thing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zaphod42 posted:

No, I'm with you exactly. That's what I meant by "he's a showman", he's playing it up, he's bullshitting them. To a certain extent he's telling the truth, but he's also playing them. That's Anansi true and true.

Somebody never watched :lost:

THIS RULES

I want to see White Jesus meet Black Jesus so loving bad.

All I can think about is the Korean Jesus from the Jump St movies.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DentD posted:

This was from the other thread but I didn't want to discuss Gaiman over there anyway yes, I agree with that. But also I feel like Gaiman has a small preoccupation with dicks and piss. I swear I've read more passages mentioning either dicks or piss or both in his writing than anyone else's.

Funny I was just thinking his most notable obsession was with the Maiden/Mother/Crone. It literally shows up in every single book he writes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I read the extended Bilquist scene as laying the groundwork for the theme that the old gods are no less predatory and rapacious than the new gods, to make people new to the story think that there actually is a moment of revelation for Shadow coming and that he might actually side with the new gods.

Also, now that I know the episode title is taken from the folk song Stormare sings to himself, all I can picture is him singing about cracking the shell of a hard boiled egg with a spoon and it being a metaphor for cracking skulls with his hammer. Anyone speak the language able to tell me if I'm far off, or know what language he's singing?

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 8, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Escape Addict posted:

It would have made more sense if Anansi the Spider whispered into the slave's ear telling him what to do, and the slave then engineered a bloody uprising using everybody else as his pawns while he manages to escape in a rowboat. Anansi is like Bugs Bunny, a trickster and survivor. I don't think he would have screwed over his own worshiper. He's supposed to encourage cunning.

If there's one thing Anansi hates more than anything though it's to be confined, trapped and chained. A good chunk of the stories where he's the butt of the joke involve him getting trapped into something and even a few of the ones he's the hero of too. The life of a slave is anathema to Anansi, in his mind he's gifting the believer with a true reward. Death is nothing to a trickster, they do it all the time and are quite good at it.

I mean, sure he could free him and get him to America, but what then? The slave doesn't know anyone or speak the slightest bit of the language. It's only a matter of time before he's back in chains and his children will suffer for 400 years no matter what he did. Better to die on your own terms than live on someone else's.

Edit: Also, bear in mind that a lot of trickster stories that get told have been heavily sanitized. Especially the African ones that were transcribed by the English. There are a ton of stories out there that would've made the Brothers Grimme blanch.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 12, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Escape Addict posted:

Mr. Wednesday's talk about our collective faith in aviation makes me think there ought to be a New God of Airplanes.

That speech hit a real personal note for me. There is a very strong accent in the region I grew up, Northeast PA, think almost like a Chicago accent but with a proclivity to ignore diphthongs i.e. "Huh many you'se want, couple two, tree?"

Thanks to a middle school science teacher with the accent a chunk of my class thought airplane could fly if they had enough trust.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gully Foyle posted:

Also, I really hope these rumors of 5 seasons is wrong. I don't think it will be possible to stretch the material out that much, without an insane amount of filler. Even 3 seasons seemed like too much, but that's at least a reasonable figure. I'd much rather have 3 well paced, deliberate seasons than 3 seasons followed by an insanely compacted 4th to try to finish the plot because it got cancelled.

From what they've said the five seasons isn't just American Gods, it's also Anansi Boys and the American Gods sequel coming out late this year/early next.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Blackchamber posted:

Wait, I thought they only fed people whos hearts were heavier than the feather to whatever god eats bad people, and hers wasnt. I thought the cat was just pushing her because she was taking too long.

Yeah, if her heart was heavier than the feather it would have been fed to Ammitt and she would then be cursed to wonder that desert forever.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Wizchine posted:

Yeah. There are no Roman or Greek gods in America because nobody believed in them. Lief Ericson and his ilk gave Odin and Loki a foothold. And a loony Irish immigrant brought over belief in leprechauns, fairies, and other such stuff, iirc.

I don't remember how Egyptian Gods made the cut, however, unless it came from the egyptomania of the 19th and early 20th century, plus egyptology and the translation of sacred tomes and such.

That's really more a problem with the book, it's just kind a product of the hard on the 90s had for neo-paganism. So it just sort of played fast and loose with its rules to bring in the gods Gaiman wanted to showcase.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BrianWilly posted:

Even in mythology Anubis didn't create the Duat, he's just the ferryman. The fabric of the universe, and all that happens to souls when they pass, functions with or without the gods; they were created by cosmology, not the other way around.*

*exceptions may apply

Right, he's a psychopomp, like Charon, Shiva or the Grim Reaper. Which is the point about fudging things a bit, according to the rules in the book, the myth of the Grim Reaper is so ubiquitous so there's no real reason he shouldn't used instead of Anubis. But that wouldn't fit the theme of the book; that America, from the brick foundation to the soul at it's core is created from the immigrant experience.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Julio Cruz posted:

Anyone who tries to categorize him as a goth is doing so 100% from his hair (rip) and the fact he likes wearing black. None of his fiction backs that up in any way.

It happens because Death and Dream were superficially the poster children for goth kids. I don't know any goth chicks that didn't try to pull off either an ankh necklace or the Eye of Isis mascara look.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mameluke posted:

As the American revival of those immigrants who used to truly believe in the Queen of Sheba, Bilquis's actually a native-born citizen :viggo:

I always figured she came over with the Christians and other Abrahamic traditions not from people actually worshipping her. Any worship of her as a god would died out hundreds of year before the believers had a chance to emigrate to America.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If they went through with the offer and launched the Odin satellite , wouldn't that have just created a Korean Odin, leaving American Odin still around? Or is it mentioned in the book that the American Gods believe they are the real ones and don't know about the versions in the old countries?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Normal Adult Human posted:

i would imagine the us army would dicksuck about how epic and ftw the missile sattelite is, like they do with all military technology.

I thought about that, but if it just gives Wednesday more power in America then it wouldn't exactly work as a way to get him out of the New Gods hair or even exile him as Wednesday claimed.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean, I love all kinds of trash media, it's not like I set the bar all that high. But even if we're just talking about Neil Gaiman in particular then Sandman and his short stories are much better than any of his full-length novels.

e: sandman's kind of apples to oranges of course but then again that's also why it works

Yeah, I'm not sure I've seen any comic writer translate into a really good long form prose writer. It's an entirely different set of mental muscles and it's hard to shake the bad habits you pick up writing comics because you can get away with certain things you can't in prose.

I'd never say Gaiman isn't an excellent writer, it's just that novel length prose isn't his strong suit.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Medullah posted:

Yes it was inspired by Air Jordans. :)

It's a bit of a weird one - it was a show, but Gaiman wrote the book parallel with it.

Despite loving the book, not a huge fan of the show.

I think he wrote the teleplay too? As far as mediums go tv is pretty close to comics, it's why you a fair bit of crossover between the two.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I hope Vulcan does recover, Corbin Bernson needs more good roles. Plus it makes a nice bookend if makes a surprise entrance holding the gun at the parley.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Or the fact Bernson gave the exact same speech about guns that Mr. World gave about the Odin rocket last episode.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

April posted:

drat, learn something new every day! When I was in high school I was super into the King Arthur legends, and I could swear the name Taliesin popped up there too. However, that was 25 years ago, and I am too lazy/tired from work to try to track it down now.

Which makes me wonder if there's an American Merlin be-bopping around anywhere? It's kind of dizzying to think of all the different myths and legends this show could go into.

Taliesin is the name of the first book in Penndragon Trilogy where the real welsh bard is Merlin's father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, they said in the after the episode that they wanted to draw parallels between Essie and Laura's stories. Sweeney says himself that it's his way to be a fickle creature that brings good turns and bad to people. But for Laura he's been nothing but terrible and the guilt is destroying him. That's why he has been so outwardly hostile to her the entire time, in order to get his coin back he has to face his greatest sin and by the end of the episode he knows he has to make right what he did in order to deserve to have it back.

The whole story serves to better draw the line between the old gods and the new, Sweeney won't let himself cross the line and only take, he has to give back a little something. Note that so far we've only seen Odin take and take.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 12, 2017

• Locked thread