Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hubbardologist posted:

I first read the book when I was about 15 or 16, and I assumed Shadow was white, probably because (a) I'm white and often project my identity into the protagonist of whatever I'm reading, (b) white people are overrepresented in many forms of media, (c) I probably skimmed over the moments that mention his or his mother's background, or (d) a combination of all three.

i no poo poo thought he was black because his name is shadow and shadows are black

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
oh i also thought shadow was black because he is introduced in prison

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Steve Yun posted:

Jesus being whitewashed is already great. What I'm really curious to see now is if Jesus is going to be portrayed as a liberal hippie or he's going to be Supply Side Jesus

edit: holy poo poo, I didn't know Al Franken came up with Supply Side Jesus

jesus and the abrahamaics aren't featured in American Gods because they get enough worship to be gods, instead of lame conmen and weird whores.

I think the only mention of jesus was about how he wasn't doing so well in India and wednesday saw him hitchhiking.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Shadow lends himself pretty well to being the watson of a bunch of different gods and monsters doing whatever it is they do

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SunAndSpring posted:

I think I said this in the other thread but I had a good laugh at the "I usually travel with my son, he takes care of everything for me" and the "I offer you the worm from my beak and you look at me like I hosed your mother?" lines from Mr. Wednesday. It's so blatant what they're referring to when you've read the book.

That is an exceptionally good line because Odin stole the mead of poetry from Suttungr by drinking a bunch of it and puking it back out. and pooping, a bit but that's beside the point

Normal Adult Human fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 6, 2017

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nessin posted:

Given the Media scene that's pretty obvious by this point. Although that was one part of the episode I thought they screwed the pooch, the scene with Media makes zero sense without the context of why they may think Shadow is important. If they knew what happened when he was lynched then they know it wasn't Shadow and if they don't know then all they have to work on is he managed to survive a lynching.

They want him because Wednesday wants him and they are lovely gods who are afraid of the old gods

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Like every 100 years or so this seems to happen where there are a slew of new gods that wax and wane and are totally forgotten

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Escape Addict posted:

I felt Anansi's introduction was far more predatory than his personality in the book. It makes sense for Odin to thrive on bloodshed since you sacrifice lives to him in war and on the gallows. But Anansi thrives on songs and dancing and storytelling.

It would have made more sense if Anansi the Spider whispered into the slave's ear telling him what to do, and the slave then engineered a bloody uprising using everybody else as his pawns while he manages to escape in a rowboat. Anansi is like Bugs Bunny, a trickster and survivor. I don't think he would have screwed over his own worshiper. He's supposed to encourage cunning.

I felt one slave should have made it to shore, bringing his loyalty to Anansi with him.

If all the Old Gods demand blood sacrifice, and Technical Boy and Media just want our time and attention, then this narrative is skewed in favor of the New Gods. They are more benign compared to this bloodthirsty version of the Old Gods. In the books, a lot of the old ones were more likable and less parasitic, which made the New Gods seem more sinister.

What if this show is Media's propaganda retelling of the book designed to smear the Old Gods? That would be very meta.

the magical black man wasn't pure good, and it destroyed this poor goon's mind.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TommyGun85 posted:

I never did manage to finish the novel as I found the concept and premise to be way more interesting than the actual contents.

Im curious, as an atheist and sports fan, if there is a sports-related new god considering the prevalence of Americans who watch football on sundays instead of attending church.

Also, if there is a food related god. It makes me think of a quote from The Wire where the russian hitman tell the drug dealer, "In this country, supermarkets are cathedrals."

Anyway, the first two episodes were pretty interesting and im hoping they are better than the novel was for me.

sports probably fall under the realm of johnny appleseed aka totally worthless and valueless worship that feeds nothing

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
its pretty cool that arab actors are relieved to be doing 11 minute gay erotica scenes because at least they're not terrorists

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Choco1980 posted:

When I was a teenager, and into my early 20s, I was a super-duper Gaiman fanboy. Heck, I met the woman who would become my ex-wife and mother to my child through a Sandman yahoo group. That said, as I've gotten older, I've realized that he has really big flaws I was ignoring. He's got some absolutely fantastic writing-Sandman for instance definitely holds up, and Overture felt like a return to old friends in that regard as he brought his a-game with him, but he just as often phones it in-Eternals for instance. His novels can be okay, but he goes to the same well far too often. Think about how many of his stories involve a seemingly normal person, who meets a mysterious, possibly magical or alien stranger, who whisks him away on a crazy adventure where the previously thought ordinary protagonist becomes the key to saving everything? How often does he invoke the Mother-Maiden-Crone trope? Really, I would say his best material is his short fiction, as there he is much more efficient and economical with the good bits, not having to add predictive side stories or whatever.

Neil Gaiman is such an exceptional Urban Fantasy author that he has actually broken the barrier and become a lovely fiction writer.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Loki was Mr. World's driver, and was upfront about being the guy shadow knew in prison, and Mr World is never actually seen in the book?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If they went through with the offer and launched the Odin satellite , wouldn't that have just created a Korean Odin, leaving American Odin still around? Or is it mentioned in the book that the American Gods believe they are the real ones and don't know about the versions in the old countries?

i would imagine the us army would dicksuck about how epic and ftw the missile sattelite is, like they do with all military technology.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Steve Yun posted:

My understanding: Mr Wednesday would be rebranded as the American Odin, they'd figure out some way to go to war with North Korea and blow them up. North Korea dies. The Odin satellite gets all this praise for being an awesome missile satellite and therefore American Odin gets power again, but subservient to Mr World, Media and Technical Boy since he will be operating as a tool of American globalism and needing Media and Technical Boy for PR.

Why would a Korean Odin arise from this?

A Korean Odin probably has already existed for a thousand years for the same reason there's an American Odin.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Also, Odin accepts human sacrifice in the form of violent deaths in battles dedicated to him, the dedication of which is usually throwing a spear onto the field and yelling that you dedicate the battle to Odin. Missiles would be super efficient at that.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

:same:

Also there's no way its worse written than anything pre-20th century. Old school writing, with the sole exception of Shakespeare (because he was writing plays, not books) is so loving painfully dry.

quit being a loving child and read moby dick

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Steve Yun posted:

Didn't PewDiePie get in trouble for sponsoring racially insensitive stunts recently, and it led to his YouTube show being cancelled? I wonder how much of the adaptations to Tech Boy were inspired by that

he wore a nazi hat when he was playing wolfenstein or company of heroes or something

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In my experience in historical gaming communities, anyone who likes the nazis enough to own and publically sport a piece of nazi gear is almost certainly somewhere around "border militiaman" or further extreme in terms of their racial politics.

in my experience anyone who plays a world war 2 or warhammer 40k game, is a nazi.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
i hope thye just cut out all of the lovely boring stuff about shadow's winter vacation with the troll or whatever. Fast forward to anansi boys.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
yeah the leprechaun, the zorya sisters, the checkers game, mr nancy, all that poo poo is boring. Give me ten chapters about a car sinking into a lake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
offscreen: wednesday drinking an entire basement full of vulcan's god juice.

• Locked thread