Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Wasn't there a scene in the book where shadows talks with a totally not jesus holy figure guy in white clothes, bright lights, with undistinguished features? IIRC when he's at the vigil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Okay, got to see episode 3 thanks to an event sponsored by GLAAD, which included open bar and hor d'oeuvres. Not only were the five guests on the above billing there, but also in the audience were Yetide Badaki, Orlando Jones, Bruce Langley, and Chris Obi.

Here is my spoilery review, mouse over at your own risk:

dong dong dong dong dong dong dong dong
dong dong dong dong dong dong dong dong dong
dong dong dong dong dong dong dong dong
dong dong dong
dong dong dong
dong dong dong
dong dong

....the witch is dead?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

yeah, I'm okay with not all gods being douchebags in this setting.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Only tangentially related to the show, but since we're book readers here:

https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/864187955660947456

terry pratchett - GNU terry Pratchett
Neil Gaiman - author and nice guy.
Joe Lewis - amazon's head of comedy, drama, vr.
Caro Skinner - BBC studios executive producer
Chris Sussman - head of comedy BBC Studios
Tim Bradley - tv producer

double nine fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 16, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Audrey is knocking it out of the park.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

hangedman1984 posted:

I feel sooo bad for Audrey. I mean she finds out her best friend and husband have been loving, are dead, and then said friend comes back as a zombie and asks to borrow her car.

E:added spoiler tags

agreed. The actor just sells it so well.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

people in the other thread are talking about how when Laura comes home, there's a cartoon about a dog & bird on. How is this significant? The dog I could somehow see as referring to Anubis, but I don't see how this fits into the larger story...

Help?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

A bit confused by the tree monster at the end of the episode. The new gods have a clear association with technology of all sorts, this monster was nothing like it -organic, magical, old. But I don't get why Odin would have summoned it and didn't see anything to indicate that he did. What am I missing?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I mean ... if you want to doom and gloom be my guest. Plenty of Gods that feast on that negativity. But

quote:

Beverly Hills, Calif. — may 11, 2017
Starz announced today it has picked up a second season of its deity-driven, critically-acclaimed original series “American Gods,” produced by FremantleMedia North America (FMNA), following its premiere on STARZ on April 30, which has garnered more than 5 million multiplatform viewers to-date and growing

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

precision posted:

I believe what worries some, at least me, is that said critical and viewer acclaim is going to start bleeding off really fast if they try to go 5 or 7 or 14 seasons or whatever the current insane plan is.

I could be wrong, there could be a big market for a show which drags the central conflict out beyond all reason. You can summarize the major plot beats of the actual "God War", you know the entire reason the book exists, with maybe one not very long paragraph. It really can't be understated how little really happens in the book, and how most of what does is background noise and the actual central conflict is practically a footnote and barely thought out beyond the basic premise.

I mean yeah, shows like Lost and Game of Thrones coast by on characters more than their central mystery, but so far they're sticking to "the New Gods have almost no personality and are caricatures" and they're keeping the "road trip" so it's hard to imagine this turning into a show where people tune in to see whether Shadow and Laura ever make kisses again.
I think

I agree - I'm loving this series for its sense of style and amazing acting, but I know where this story is going. Someone without that knowledge is going to start wondering when poo poo's going to get interesting plot-wise and might very well abandon ship. Which would be a crying shame but I can't say I'd blame them.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Nah. Still beaten by You're an rear end in a top hat, dead wife. But Glover was amazing, true.

edit: something I've noticed: during the sales pitch World & Media give, I think that Wednesday's beating the table was ad-libbed. Watch Technical Boy's reaction.

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 28, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Was the spider unlocking the handcuffs Anansi or another animal aide? I don't remember Odin having an affiliation with spiders, but I don't see Anansi hitching a ride in Wednesday's coattails just for the off-chance that he needs to get Wednesay out of trouble in some way. Also given Anansi's personality I wouldn't want to rely on a drat trickster god in a pinch. That's just asking for trouble.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

God of the NRA. Can I be the first to say yeeee-haaa?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

weird, I remembered book Vulkan having reinvented himself as a god of cars/motorway accidents. I'm probably just mixing them up.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Crow Jane posted:

I could see him being the god of manufacturing in general

...that'd explain why he's on the decline at least. :downsrim:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

...that was a weird re-interpretation of Mr Wood.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it's all of the above. The Satellite, Vulcan's shallow re-invention as a mass-marketed product (of destruction, but I don't think Wednesday's particularly offended by that aspect), him refusing his gift of soma, the direct allusion to shadow's hanging.

Also, Vulcan directly called out Wednesday's plan to martyr himself. That's a danger he can't allow to come anywhere near the final battle.

double nine fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 6, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Well, I'm glad Laura got that off her chest, but I sure as gently caress didn't expect that.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

Missed this post. My guess for the accident in this episode is Eostre. She's the namesake of Easter and while rabbits have nothing to do with her traditionally, it's pointed out in the book that modern American Easter has little to do with her original formation. Rabbits are important in modern Easter, which is still worshiped, however. What her motivation is, I have zero idea.

On a side note - did I miss something where we're spoilering things in this thread? It's a spoiler thread for book readers - I thought anything that's already aired, speculation, and in this case anything in the book would be fair game. Are future book events not fair game or something?

I tend to try and spoiler my comments if I've seen the episode just after it gets released.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So is Anansi boys going to get spliced into the Shadow/wednesday plot or is the plan to finish american gods and then have 2 (?) seasons of Anansi boys?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

That first one is amazing :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/18/american-gods-season-1-finale-inside-episode-neil-gaiman/

<15-min post-mortem with the cast & neil gaiman

• Locked thread