Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.
Yeah I kind of boggled at one person imagining Shadow as a Danzig type of looking character. Bruh did we read the same book?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

^^ oh yes.

On the note of Shadow's race now being very explicit in this new medium, I'm not sure how to feel about the imagery at the end of the episode where he's lynched by a white mob. Yes, I realize that within the story it ties into some overarching themes about his godly heritage. But I feel like this was a very conscious decision on the shows part to make some kind of commentary on American racism. I don't know if it's gonna pan out or fail miserably but I doubt this will be the last example of blatant racist imagery we see.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

So, it's been awhile since I last gave the book a re-read. I don't remember: did Wednesday know from the get go that Shadow was his kid?

I almost screamed when I heard the line, "I offer you the worm from my beak, and you look at me like I hosed your mom?"

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

showbiz_liz posted:

They've said they're going to significantly expand the amount of screentime all the gods get and show much more of what they're all doing, rather than just spending 50 loving pages hanging out with Shadow in a small town eating pasties, and thank god, because I spent half of the book pissed off that there was an epic war between the gods happening that we barely got to see.

I really liked reading about Shadow hanging in small town and observing small town poo poo. Lakeside might have been my favorite section of the book. I enjoyed the book overall as a sort of fictional Midwestern travelogue...with epic god poo poo in the background of Shadow's hosed up life until the final act.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

Oh and on Shadow's name. I knew he was black when reading the book but I assumed his name was less a reference to his ethnicity and more a reference to his tendency to shadow people, act dumb and quiet. I think he even says as much about his name.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

Holy poo poo that clip is amazing. Okay I am 100% on board. Let's go.

a kitten posted:

I don't think it was in the book so I won't say much about it other than "holy poo poo, this is gonna own".

Yeah, no, I'm pretty sure Mr Nancy was never this angry or blunt about racism. gently caress, I don't remember if he even cared about it?? Or if he was more interested in his own worship and getting by like the rest of the old gods. drat. I love this.

DentD fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 2, 2017

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I might have loved this episode more than the 1st. So many good scenes. I loved the boxing up of Laura and Shadow's house. The decision to go full tilt and do a giant dick pic shot and then later more Bilquis scenes are just...man, it's bold but awesome. Also, hey, Bilquis doesn't discriminate when it comes to worshippers, cool.

A tiny detail I liked was nothing when Media was talking to Shadow even though she looked identical on every screen I think her eyes were always aimed on Shadow.

God I love how hard they're leaning into the topic of race. Can't wait to see more Orlando Jones on screen.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

Axel Serenity posted:

Closing the dick pic only to have it transfer to the digital photo frame is such a ridiculously Gaiman thing, and I loved it

This was from the other thread but I didn't want to discuss Gaiman over there anyway yes, I agree with that. But also I feel like Gaiman has a small preoccupation with dicks and piss. I swear I've read more passages mentioning either dicks or piss or both in his writing than anyone else's.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Funny I was just thinking his most notable obsession was with the Maiden/Mother/Crone. It literally shows up in every single book he writes.

Oh yeah, there is that. Definitely his most prominent "thing". The piss and dick stuff is small potatoes in comparison.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

Schizotek posted:

So the "coming to America" historian is Ibis right?

Yeah. I think he was meant to be the historian even in the book.

gently caress, I can't wait until we get to the funeral home. Which sadly probably won't show up at all this season.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

Good point but still. In Wednesday's chat with Zorya Vechernyaya he reminded her of all the things she used to have (back in the old land) that she definitely doesn't have here in America. Servants, good food, that sort of thing. These gods are used to excess and open adoration, not these tiny scraps of worship and belief they get here. They're of course still gods, not humans. They still fulfill their functions as necessary and dictated. But they live a shadow of their former, real selves from the old lands.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

Once again I feel like I need to re-read the book. Because I swear that Laura had been kind of an awful person there too. She was the reason Shadow went to prison.

Maybe I'm imagining all of that.

Was anyone else skeeved out by Shadow confronting Laura in the parking lot at the beginning? I didn't feel any sexual chemistry between them. I felt like this woman wanted nothing to do with him and wanted to leave but had no options with him leaning over her.

Glad to see Audrey returned. It'll be interesting to see if she shows up in Lakeside still and how that will work. And wow Dane Cook was the perfect douchebag to cast as Robbie.

DentD fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 21, 2017

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

Sure, sorry for the lapse in judgement. Fixed mine above.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

Vorgen posted:

This episode has brought to light what to me seems to be a new level of existential horror. If you don't believe in the afterlife, and constantly contemplate suicide in life, then when you do die and there is an afterlife, the god of the dead will force you to commit suicide AGAIN? And then after your second spiritual suicide there will be only darkness?!?!?

I think this is because Laura refused to have her heart weighed and deliberately failed the test by weighing the scale down. She could have submitted to the test. In the book Jacquel tells Shadow they made the feather really heavy. Maybe Laura would have been fine in that case.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

Wow that Vanity Fair interview has some spoilers for future episodes.

Also this....

quote:

It’s that lovely thing of, to know all is to forgive all. You go: “Okay, this is who you are. This is what happened. I’m here with you. I don’t know that if I was in your shoes I would have made better choices than you did.” 

Yeah nah, Gaiman. I liked this episode but I really don't like or sympathize with Laura just because I saw more of her life.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

precision posted:

Well, Neil Gaiman doesn't understand monogamy or jealousy, you see.

Sigh. Like, no judgement on poly folks. If everyone consents and is cool with having a poly or open relationship, whatever, great! But this was not that kind of situation at all and I find zero ways in which Laura's character or life situation somehow made her lovely decisions understandable. She lied and hurt the closest people in her life instead of owning up to her own depression and apathy. And I'm saying all of this as a longtime sufferer of depression and living a banal life. I cannot comprehend why Neil thinks that her status in life somehow means we're all supposed to go, "Oh yes, I would have done the same in your shoes, Laura." No, full stop.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

Yeah I knew you were agreeing. I'm just totally unimpressed with Neil on this issue. I like a few of his books. I like him a lot less since he married Amanda Palmer.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

Sorry, I see how my words have been hurtful. My issue with Neil isn't that he is poly, it's that he thinks that this episode featuring Laura will in turn make the audience think, "Yes, I'd have done the same thing."

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I agree, I don't think the show tried to convince me to sympathize with Laura's choices either. But in that Vanity Fair interview Neil Gaiman seems to think that's exactly what the episode does.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

Atsula's story was one of my favorite Coming to America stories in the book. I'm still not sure I like what they did with it in the show. Thematically it does fit in with the rest of the episode though.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXi9Zc_4Om4

New general-promo clip, a couple new gods who haven't been seen yet.

Hell yes I need more Orlando Jones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I thought Vulcan's rejection of the soma was a pretty good tip off to Wednesday.

• Locked thread