Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

swamp waste posted:

This is what really bugs me about it. There's huge religious conflicts and dramas in America, and this isn't about them.

Like, there isn't a conflict between pagan values and techy capitalist ones in the US. Or, there is, but it doesn't look like this, Bilquis vs The Internet, unless it's 1997 and you're a wiccan mom who just heard about orgone. If he wanted to write the same thing but for real it would be like Jesus living on a ranch in montana with 144,000 sister wives and railing against the government while secretly trading slaves and DAPL stock on a smartphone powered by sickle cell anemia. It would just be a brutal political cartoon.

Such a show would be a little heavy handed, don't you think? Political commentary in sci-fi and fantasy is best done covertly with a wink and a nod, or at the very most framed in the universe of the setting (i.e. Mr. Nancy on the slave ship ranting at the African who summoned him).

Also, the entire thesis of American Gods is that there's something about the continent that makes holding on to old ways difficult for immigrants. Viewing it as a war between Media and Anubis is being too literal, the war is about the struggle of the Old Ways that immigrants bring with them against the New Ways of their newly-adopted American home.

mycomancy fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
With the show in hiatus now, where oh where can I get my weekly dose of disturbingly large cocks on muh teevee?

• Locked thread