Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doresain
Oct 7, 2003

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

drat that's some of the best acting Peter Stormare has ever done. He's always had more of a bit role so its great to see him really get to be the star for a bit.

Agreed. I always enjoy his work but this performance really stood out as different from the usual schtick. He was enthralling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doresain
Oct 7, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think there's probably a criticism you can have of the Anansi scene without it necessarily coming from a place of "I don't like this angry black man." I'll agree with many of the points above that this was both a hell of a scene and a great depiction of Anansi the trickster god in this context. It was not, however, a depiction that at all resembles the way Mr Nancy is depicted in the novel American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I think that is a fair criticism of the TV show American Gods from a fan of the novel who wanted to see a silly old magical black man who only shows up to tell fun stories and save the main character from danger.

The TV show's depiction seems to be pretty obviously the better, more powerful choice though. It makes the character a lot more interesting, more faithful to the spirit of the Anansi myths, and has a lot of resonance in this time and place a decade and a half from the writing of the novel.

• Locked thread