Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

vonnegutt posted:

So I re-read the book in anticipation of the show and got caught on this and had to go look it up. My best guess is that it's Mercury - or some variation thereof - as he was a god of luck, money, and quickness. The section of the book where Shadow meets him is in Vegas, and Mercury (or the nameless god) is able to spot luck and follow money, and decides to help out a random waitress.

The forgetfulness might be a reference to quicksilver, or the element mercury, that is a metaphor for something slipping away or being hard to grasp.

I always thought he was Hades. His most common nickname was Pluto or "the wealthy one" and I assumed he forgetfulness but was a reference to how the ancient Greeks didn't like speaking about him. Mercury seems to work better though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Easter definitely mentions him. It's the only reason she's doing so well.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Managed to survive a lancing by making technical boys goons explode into a bloody pile. That's how I read it anyway. They think he did something beyond what a mortal should be capable of, and they know he's of special interest to Wednesday, so they assume he's important even if hey don't know he's Balder.

• Locked thread