Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Max posted:

I mean, realizing how dumb you are about Loki in the book is a plot point, since even Shadow smacks his head when he makes the connection.

I think at the time that book came out, you were less likely to recognize Loki's name than you are now, given his prevalence in the Marvel universe. It's smarter for them to not mention it.

Hearing it aloud has to make a difference. I listened to the audiobook, going in with nothing more than "there are gods in this." The narrator enunciated "Low-Key" as much as possible, but my immediate reaction was still "oh okay, it's Loki." The show clearly isn't interested in keeping viewers in the dark about anyone's identity for long, but I wonder if Shadow will figure it out sooner in the show too.

That reminds me, does the book explicitly identify Shadow as Baldr? I don't remember that at all if it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Choco1980 posted:

Or hell, just THE Railroad. Don't tell me America once upon a time didn't treat trains like a god.

Someone, maybe Media, specifically mentions railroads as sort of a fad god.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Blackchamber posted:

Wait, I thought they only fed people whos hearts were heavier than the feather to whatever god eats bad people, and hers wasnt. I thought the cat was just pushing her because she was taking too long.

That's what I got from it too. If they were going to trick her at all, why not just tell her she failed the feather test?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Max posted:

I wonder if it's because Odin was responsible for her death.

Yeah, I had the same thought. I'm not sure why that would really matter, though. It's not like Wednesday expected her to come back or needed her to have any particular sort of afterlife, so I don't know what favor Wednesday would have been calling in by getting Anubis involved.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

cptn_dr posted:

And anything that gives us more Kristin Chenowith is okay in my book.

To be honest, her casting kind of gave me pause. I haven't seen enough of her acting to have an opinion on that front, but when I think "fertility goddess," she's not quite what I picture. That said, everyone's been doing great so far, so I'm sure she'll kill it too.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

double nine posted:

people in the other thread are talking about how when Laura comes home, there's a cartoon about a dog & bird on. How is this significant? The dog I could somehow see as referring to Anubis, but I don't see how this fits into the larger story...

Help?

The cartoon playing before she tries to kill herself is Woody Dines Out, a Woody Woodpecker short. The other character is a cat, not a dog. I dunno, I guess it could be Ibis and Isis.

When Laura brings Shadow home with her, the cat is watching another Woody short called The Screwdriver, which is about Woody messing with a motorcycle cop. I don't know that there's a hidden message there.

When she finds her cat dead, the TV is playing yet another short, Buccaneer Woodpecker, featuring Woody opposite Buzz Buzzard. This one's a pretty clear sign that I should have avoided caffeine earlier and need to sleep.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Normal Adult Human posted:

I thought Loki was Mr. World's driver, and was upfront about being the guy shadow knew in prison, and Mr World is never actually seen in the book?

Shadow thinks Loki is a driver for the new gods. The new gods and spookshow think Mr. World is posing as a driver to surreptitiously keep an eye on the hotel meetup.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
The whole name is too much and dumb, but "Low-key" on its own probably would've been fine.

Do any of the other old gods use a straight-up pseudonym? All the ones I can think of use their actual name (e.g. Bilquis), a word derived from their name (Wednesday), or a common corruption of their name (e.g. Nancy). I can't think of any good options from the latter two categories for Loki.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Wizchine posted:

Well, Mr. Jacquel is Anubis, and Mr. Ibis is Thoth - they just named themselves after their animal portion of their identity.

:doh: Yeah, not sure how I forgot about them.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Terror Sweat posted:

i forgot, what happens when a powerful god is murdered. does he just come back again later in a different form or something

I think what Wednesday says is that they do die, and something like them but not them turns up after a while.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Am I seeing things, or was Mr. World going into and slightly out of focus during his scene, especially during closeups? That's a nice subtle visual cue that something's off with him.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

dead comedy forums posted:

but the thing here is that it works for the Anglosphere/Nordic/Germanic audiences, but Latin language countries, for example, wouldn't get it since Wednesday would be Mercury's day (Miércoles/Mercredi/Mercoledi/etc) since the names come from the Roman traditions.

but then again the show is "American Gods" so ymmv

How do translations of the book handle that?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I always figured she came over with the Christians and other Abrahamic traditions not from people actually worshipping her. Any worship of her as a god would died out hundreds of year before the believers had a chance to emigrate to America.

The book claims a lot of forgotten ancient migration.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's interesting to think that in this setting, there may well be "new" gods that are already on their way out

It's not quite along the lines of your suggestions, but the book does mention some new gods with short-lived popularity. I think railroads was one of them.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

ZorajitZorajit posted:

As for electricity, do people really worship it the way they worship media or guns?

I could see it being a recent washed-up deity. We don't give it much thought in our daily lives anymore, but people were loving enchanted when electricity hit the scene.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Steve Yun posted:

I know it's not going to happen, but Supply Side Jesus would have been so perfect for this show

http://imgur.com/gallery/bCqRp

I kind of assumed White Jesus would be at least partially this.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's funny because you're expecting something scandalous but nah, guy just likes horses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_orCijfCO-c

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I wonder if Shadow's experience with Vulcan will lead to him catching on to Hinzelmann faster.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Normal Adult Human posted:

he wore a nazi hat when he was playing wolfenstein or company of heroes or something

Also, paid two dudes to carry a sign saying "death to all Jews." Because comedy or something.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

coyo7e posted:

One question I've ALWAYS had about American Gods, is "what is the House on the Hill"? I mean, I have heard of a couple of weird-rear end kitschy backwater Americana places sort of like it, but I'd really love to actually figure out where Gaiman pulled his influences from, and then maybe go visit them some day.

It's a place in Wisconsin. A friend of mine went four or five years ago and confirmed that it's as weird as you'd expect. The parts of season two that take place there are being filmed on location, so we'll all get to see at least some of it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

muscles like this! posted:

You know, I don't think the book ever implied that Wednesday manufactured the car accident.

They straight-up admit it in chapter 18.

quote:

Wednesday's ghost-voice echoed. "I needed you, my boy. Yes. My own boy. I knew that you had been conceived, but your mother left the country. It took us so long to find you. And when we did find you, you were in prison. We needed to find out what made you tick. What buttons we could press to make you move. Who you were." Loki looked, momentarily, pleased with himself. "And you had a wife to go back home to. It was unfortunate, but not insurmountable."

"She was no good for you,' whispered Loki. 'You were better off without her."

"If it could have been any other way," said Wednesday, and this time Shadow knew what he meant.

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

SiKboy posted:

Cousin Jack is either the faeries name or type in the book, I'm not that up on cornish mythology.

It's a term for Cornish people.

• Locked thread