Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JustinMorgan posted:

I have to say I'm disappointed they're only going to be taking this season up to House on the Rock. That's barely 150 pages into the book, any ideas what they're using as filler? Doesn't Media not even show up until after that point?

Her first scene is right after the House, yeah. Almost nothing happens before the House in the book, Shadow and Wednesday do the bank robbery and then go meet Mr. Nansi and that's pretty much it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Crow Jane posted:

I thought the Chicago stuff happened before then?

Ah yeah, you're right.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Moon is a common Irish last name, it's derived from "Muadhen" (pronounced kinda like "Moo-en")

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DentD posted:

I almost screamed when I heard the line, "I offer you the worm from my beak, and you look at me like I hosed your mom?"

Son of a bitch I didn't even make that connection (too busy laughing)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Max posted:

At a preview event, Fuller said that the sex scene between Salim and the Ifrit cost them a quarter mil and will show EVERYTHING.

"Everything"? I call bullshit, but kudos if they actually have the balls to show an honest to God male-on-male blowjob and cumshot. Seriously though there's no way they will, even Game of Thrones doesn't show erect dong.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well, I'm not happy to be right in this case:

quote:

But luckily for the actors, Fuller says the flesh rockets will all be CGI.

“We have so many visual effects that involve digital erections,” Fuller told the Nerd World Report. “We have conversations, ‘Well, should we get [a] dildo and strap it onto the actors, is that going to be more cost effective? Or is it easier just to give them digital erections?’”

Booo! Hiss! Not cool, man. Sure, let's show Bilquis' bush, but a PENIS?! HELL NO!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Max posted:

Apparently the money shot involves fire (they said yes, we are going to see everything.)

Scroll up: CGI dong :mad:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah Mr. Nancy is described as one of those small but tough old wizened guys you see in small Southern towns all the time. The change seems fine though, as long as I get to hear Orlando Jones sing "I got tiger's balls"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Flatscan posted:

I always thought he looked like Cab Calloway.

I think it's more that's what he would've looked like in his heyday.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Since this is the spoiler thread...

He won't/can't be playing any Jesus but "the Jesus of America", just like Wednesday is Odin but Odin is not him. Following that logic, it only makes sense for him to be playing Jesus as a schizophrenic weirdo who has to somehow embody both the awful hypocrisy of megachurches and the earnest charity/fellowship of Deep South churches; he has to have it in him to be the Mormon Jesus (because you don't get to choose what your believers believe) and the Catholic Jesus and the Baptist Jesus and the hippie cult Jesus.

So basically it's perfect casting.

edit: scratch everything I just said because...

quote:

There will be multiple versions of Jesus.

Jeremy Davies as "White Jesus"
Fode Bangoura as "Black Jesus"
Ernesto Reyes as "Mexican Jesus"
Justin Sanchez as "Hippie Jesus"
Joel Chico as "Asian Jesus"

So there you go.

precision fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 4, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

double nine posted:

Wasn't there a scene in the book where shadows talks with a totally not jesus holy figure guy in white clothes, bright lights, with undistinguished features? IIRC when he's at the vigil?

I thought that was Elvis?

The problem with putting Jesus in this story is that, even if you take the route that "most Christians don't REALLY believe in Jesus", there are still enough people who do that he would over-shadow (ha ha) every other God in the book except maybe Technology and Media. Splitting him into 5 separate Gods is one way of explaining why he isn't super powerful, though I think it would work just as well to have him be crazy like I said.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Guy Mann posted:

The idea that a man who heard voices in his head and had violent mood swings between preaching peace and attacking people in a rage was schizophrenic is just absurd.

This is the spoiler thread, not the edgelord atheist thread :j:

e: The Rock is who I pictured as Shadow when the book came out, yes. That would have been aces.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
RIFTS: American Gods

I'd play it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Normal Adult Human posted:

I think the only mention of jesus was about how he wasn't doing so well in India and wednesday saw him hitchhiking.

Afghanistan, but yeah.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Crow Jane posted:

What kind of loving Faustian bargain did this show's casting director have to make to get all these spot-on, amazing people together in one project? Is American Gods somehow responsible for Donald Trump?

"Donald Trump" is just the bastard child of Media and Technology Boy.

e: good god now I want to hear Ian McShane say "Are you responsible for this Twitter poo poo?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DentD posted:

This was from the other thread but I didn't want to discuss Gaiman over there anyway yes, I agree with that. But also I feel like Gaiman has a small preoccupation with dicks and piss. I swear I've read more passages mentioning either dicks or piss or both in his writing than anyone else's.

There's a bit in The Ocean at the End of the Lane audiobook where Gaiman takes about 3 pages to describe how good Spotted Dick is. :j:

Loved episode 2, though honestly that Bilquis scene was some shameful padding. We learned nothing except "she's REALLY hungry" and "she takes women too". It was a well done scene, for the most part, but that doesn't make it any less padding, especially when we haven't even gotten to the bank robbery (and since Shadow had "earmuffs" on his list, I'm guessing that's next episode).

Stormare was amazing, but during his long monologue his accent was all over the place. Still good.

Orlando Jones loving killed it, especially the undertone that he didn't care about the slaves and was just shuck-and-jiving them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

angerbeet posted:

I am optimistic about the future of this series, though I wonder if stretching it out is really a good idea.

My only concern with how they're stretching everything out so much is if non-book-fans are gonna stick with it. If I didn't know what was coming up, I'd still be watching it, but it's not doing a lot to really hook non-book-readers in my opinion.

Also yeah Gaiman has a real hard-on for mother/maiden/crone, they're main characters in Ocean at the End of the Lane (which I will reiterate is probably his best book since Stardust, and a LOT better than AG - I'd honestly rank American Gods as his worst proper novel just on the pacing issues alone)

e: Gaiman and Pratchett both do the "Mr. Pin and Mr. Tulip" trope a lot too, and it was cool to see that trope show up in Preacher last season

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You know, since they're adding a lot of stuff to this series, I can't help but wonder if they'll expand Media's role to have her be kind of a "bridge" between the Old and New Gods. After all, Media didn't start with television, or even America, Media would have had a pretty big following in Europe post-printing press.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

My Lovely Horse posted:

And that's what we call upping the ante. Seems like Lucy's tits are about the only thing we're not gonna get to see in this show.

Well then Fuller lied, per the interview I posted earlier he said all the dicks were CGI or dildos.

I demand only legitimate dicks! :j:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Crow Jane posted:

Having watched the episode a second time, I realized the scenes inside Bilquis' womb sort of reminded me of Sandman art.

Oh for sure, to the point where I'm positive it was intentional. It's neat that Fuller is pulling stylistically from Gaiman's entire ouevre.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm the only one who thought it a bit strange that Wednesday was meeting with the Ifrit? A nod to book readers to let us know "that scene" is coming, or have they decided to make him into an actual part of the main plot?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

biracial bear for uncut posted:

It could also be Loki/Mr. World. Because the Technical Boy is loving his plan up by letting the children lynch Shadow.

Yeah, Mr. World is definitely possible since they need to bring him in to the story sooner. At the pace the show is going, we wouldn't see Mr. World until season 3 without them moving the pieces around like they have been.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Having anyone say "Low-Key" out loud wouldn't really work because you can't really pronounce it any differently to "Loki" and you lose even the tiny number of people for whom that was actually a reveal instead of shamelessly obvious.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Crow Jane posted:

What roles haven't been cast yet? Because I was thinking about it and I really want Tom Waits to be involved somehow

Oh good God, yes. Invent a new God if they have to, he can be the God of Railroad Hobos for all I care.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

a kitten posted:

Neil is saying they're planning for five seasons

That pretty much solidifies that the show will go well into Anansi Boys/AG2 territory, I really can't imagine them doing 5 seasons without even more padding than we've already gotten.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If the show goes meta and has Media speak to us, the audience, I think that would be the best thing ever.

e: and there has GOT to be a Media scene where Shadow walks by a TV playing an old X-Files episode, right? Right?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I got Stribog, a God I have never heard of, but seems pretty awesome.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Anubis scene is weird until you realize he's not leading her to the afterlife, Bast shoved her through the door so they could feast on her soul. I thought this was pretty explicit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Toast Museum posted:

That's what I got from it too. If they were going to trick her at all, why not just tell her she failed the feather test?

I think there were a lot of little clues.

Primarily there's the meta-textual clue that a God like Anubis should by all rights be doing worse than almost anyone, because the Egyptian religion is about as dead as the Greek/Roman pantheon, none of whom appear in the story at all (because literally nobody believes in them). So you wonder, what is he doing that still allows for him to have so much power that he can take a dead woman to a big desert? None of the other old gods have anywhere near that sort of power. In fact, it kinda seems like cheating to have him be able to even speak to her after she dies since that kind of thing isn't really dealt with in the source material.

Now, you guys talk about Ammitt and how he devours the souls of people who fail the test. Right, but what if Ammitt is gone? Anubis and Bast are very recognizable. I've studied Egyptian religion a lot and even I didn't remember Ammitt's name until it was mentioned in here. But I think that's beside the point of the other clues:

1. When she asks which door her father(?) is behind, Anubis just smiles.

2. When the door opens, we see a vast nothingness behind it. Not an afterlife, we literally see empty space.

3. When she begins to doubt, she is shoved through. This goes to another question:

Why not just tell her she failed the test? Because a heart full of hope is so much more nourishing than one full of despair or bitterness or anger.

In fact, it just now occurs to me that Anubis may have simply ate her heart after she was gone, and the whole test was just an excuse to get her heart, and shoving her through the door was an explicit "K we're done with you now bye thanx"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
With all the padding, it makes it especially weird that they butchered the bank robbery. First off, he didn't have pink earmuffs, nor did he give the speech about seeming harmless. Second, we didn't get to hear him shuck and jive the cops, which was a highlight of the scene. Third, we didn't get to hear Shadow improvise all that stuff about "He better not be drinking again!" which went to showing how clever Shadow is, and besides was just funny.

:mad:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Egyptian Gods weren't in the novel at all, aside from Bast, IIRC. And Bast = cats so it's pretty clear how she's still here.

e: forgot Ibis and Jacquel, funeral parlor dudes. And her cat is definitely supposed to be Bastet.

precision fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 15, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They also found more cocaine and tobacco in some mummies than could feasibly have existed without some kind of trade route with South America.

e: here's a really good paper that addresses the criticism of pre-Columbian trade:

http://www.faculty.ucr.edu/~legneref/ethnic/mummy.htm

precision fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 16, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Quezocoatl is in a lot of people's minds because of Final Fantasy :v:

But also, I would think there would be a God soaking up all of the Nazca Line theorycrafting and :tinfoil:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Like yeah I didn't get the sense he was doing anything but doing what Anubis did, shuttling her to the afterlife. He doesn't tell her which door to go through because that's not what Anubis does or what people believed he did. He's constructed from people's beliefs and gets power by fulfilling those beliefs.

I mean, I obviously concede that I'm reading (too much) into the scene, but I would think we can all agree that she didn't go to an actual afterlife, I don't think it's within the scope of the American Gods' powers to create a whole afterlife when they have to take jobs as cabbies and funeral directors. That would also explain why he doesn't tell her which door her father is behind; he's not behind any of them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Calling Neil Gaiman "Hot Topic bullshit" just tells me that a hot goth girl once broke your heart and you still haven't gotten over it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That dude's a little testy about it but no, Neil Gaiman's just not a very good writer, especially outside of the comic medium.

Stardust, Coraline, Anansi Boys and Ocean at the End of the Lane are great. That said, even if he is a "bad writer", he isn't "hot topic bullshit". Crooked Little Vein and Avenged Sevenfold are "hot topic bullshit". Neil Gaiman comes from the older, possibly sillier, but less annoying school of Ye Danse Macabre

Like, he has more in common with Siouxie Sioux than Fall Out Boy

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

double nine posted:

Only tangentially related to the show, but since we're book readers here:

Yeah, BBC is making Good Omens for Amazon next year.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

a kitten posted:

Oh hell yes. (tentatively)

And also, literally :j:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Choco1980 posted:

His novels can be okay, but he goes to the same well far too often. Think about how many of his stories involve a seemingly normal person, who meets a mysterious, possibly magical or alien stranger, who whisks him away on a crazy adventure where the previously thought ordinary protagonist becomes the key to saving everything? How often does he invoke the Mother-Maiden-Crone trope? Really, I would say his best material is his short fiction, as there he is much more efficient and economical with the good bits, not having to add predictive side stories or whatever.

I would be very wary of anyone who's a Neil Gaiman fan that doesn't admit he has a terrific number of flaws. In a way, that's part of the charm. As a prose writer, he probably barely makes it into the top 100 if I'm being honest.

I will say though, his nonfiction essays and speeches (collected in "The View From the Cheap Seats") are markedly better than his fiction from a technical standpoint.

Well before I read Sandman, the first thing of his I read was his book about The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I don't even remember if it was good, though I'm pretty sure it was/is.

e: For reference: https://www.amazon.com/Dont-Panic-Official-Hitchhikers-Companion/dp/0671664263

precision fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
He's also just a really nice guy. 12 or so years ago one of my good friends (who was what one would term a "perkygoth") had met him at a few conventions and carried on regular email correspondence with her, and through that I got to hang out with him after a comic convention for an hour or so. He was very funny and humble and not at all a dour gothic mopeypuss.

• Locked thread