Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Choco1980 posted:

Gaiman was never shy about the fact that he found Goth culture beautiful and sexy either. That's why he threw it in so many pieces in the 90s and early 00s.

He's also married to Amanda Palmer and is a fan of 80s/90s goth music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zurui posted:

Amanda Palmer is a soulsucking harpy and we will likely never get anything new and good out of him because he's too busy living out his goth cuckold fantasy.

They're swingers. Do Not Worry About Neil Gaiman.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Normal Adult Human posted:

Neil Gaiman is such an exceptional Urban Fantasy author that he has actually broken the barrier and become a lovely fiction writer.

lmao

And also, true.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DentD posted:

Yeah nah, Gaiman. I liked this episode but I really don't like or sympathize with Laura just because I saw more of her life.

Well, Neil Gaiman doesn't understand monogamy or jealousy, you see.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DentD posted:

Sigh. Like, no judgement on poly folks. If everyone consents and is cool with having a poly or open relationship, whatever, great! But this was not that kind of situation at all and I find zero ways in which Laura's character or life situation somehow made her lovely decisions understandable. She lied and hurt the closest people in her life instead of owning up to her own depression and apathy. And I'm saying all of this as a longtime sufferer of depression and living a banal life. I cannot comprehend why Neil thinks that her status in life somehow means we're all supposed to go, "Oh yes, I would have done the same in your shoes, Laura." No, full stop.

To be clear, I agree with you 100% - I didn't like the episode that much, but didn't hate it, but I'm wondering to what end they decided to make Laura so... unlikable. She isn't in the book.

I have never known a poly relationship that lasted beyond the "we can have lots of sex" phase.

I guess sometimes that phase lasts many years.

precision fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 23, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

My Lovely Horse posted:

Maybe it's because I read the book, but I don't feel like I needed an entire episode's worth of backstory here. I got outright bored during the first half, second picked back up with some excellent scenes but I'm not really feeling this one.

Nah, it just wasn't a very good episode compared to the first batch. It was still good, just... not AS good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I definitely thought they'd have at least gotten to the initial Mr. Nancy meet-and-greet by now after they put his origin so early. I can't wait, Orlando Jones killed it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Media turned it on? Too obvious?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Where does the bug spray huffing fit into all of this?

It's a real literary high. Like Kafka. It makes you feel like a bug.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This episode did a lot to bring the pacing back up, but with only 3 episodes left this season it's too little too late. It's a good show and goddamn this episode was the best yet but I'm mentally prepared for it to be cancelled well before the story is told.

Something I never heard before that a friend of mine pointed me to:

quote:

Bilquis - Queen of Sheba, as mentioned in the Bible. Also, believed to be half-jinn

So that might be something.

e: also I don't recall the book being nearly so heavy-handed with the clues that Mr. World is Loki

precision fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 28, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I believe what worries some, at least me, is that said critical and viewer acclaim is going to start bleeding off really fast if they try to go 5 or 7 or 14 seasons or whatever the current insane plan is.

I could be wrong, there could be a big market for a show which drags the central conflict out beyond all reason. You can summarize the major plot beats of the actual "God War", you know the entire reason the book exists, with maybe one not very long paragraph. It really can't be understated how little really happens in the book, and how most of what does is background noise and the actual central conflict is practically a footnote and barely thought out beyond the basic premise.

I mean yeah, shows like Lost and Game of Thrones coast by on characters more than their central mystery, but so far they're sticking to "the New Gods have almost no personality and are caricatures" and they're keeping the "road trip" so it's hard to imagine this turning into a show where people tune in to see whether Shadow and Laura ever make kisses again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

double nine posted:

I think

I agree - I'm loving this series for its sense of style and amazing acting, but I know where this story is going. Someone without that knowledge is going to start wondering when poo poo's going to get interesting plot-wise and might very well abandon ship. Which would be a crying shame but I can't say I'd blame them.

Exactly. I'd love to see some kind of information (if it even exists yet) of how many people that are watching are familiar with the book. As big as the book was, it was only big in certain circles and also that was a long time ago. I'm probably one of the biggest Gaiman fans in here (or certainly one who has been a fan of his the longest) but until the rumors about this show started, American Gods was just not something I thought about much. I probably thought about re-reading Neverwhere more often. Even the first time I read it took me months because the plot kept stopping dead for long stretches, and at that time I was a "superfan".

Judging by how other show reactions go, I imagine anyone who isn't a book fan is very soon going to start wondering when we get answers. Problem here? There aren't that many answers. Who's Wednesday/Nancy/etc? They are unambiguously capital-G Gods. They're not aliens, there's no mystery here, they're Gods, that's it. The New Gods aren't ever a mystery, they come right out in the book AND show and say "Hey, we're the new gods of technology and tv and stuff". How did the New Gods come to be? No mystery there. Why'd Laura come back? The coin, already answered in the show. What's the plan? Well, this episode the plan was explicitly stated. God War. Who's Mr. World? He's Loki, and you can only reveal that at the very end of the plot.

So the question becomes, once the spectacle and the weird wears off - what's the non-book-fan's motivation to keep watching? These are things that I hope Gaiman/Fuller/STARZ are asking, but knowing Gaiman and Fuller, I know that both are "above" caring about that (and in Gaiman's case, I can't blame him, since he's set for life no matter how this show does).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
But hey on a lighter note, can we agree that the line of the entire series so far was Glover's monologue here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tfjJcLmyfY

But they are buying salsa

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I guess there weren't any clues that he's specifically Loki, but it seemed a lot more hinted at that Mr. World is working with Wednesday than in the book. Book Mr. World never made me think "oh, he actually does just want to work with the new Gods". There was a knowing smirk on Wednesday's face when he says the bit about "you're a loner, working alone" etc.

They're diverging a lot now though - are we even going to get Mr. Town and the others? In the book, Mr. World wasn't really set up as a powerful bad guy, him and Town and the others were just the muscle for Media and the others. The show looks to be presenting him as the God of One World Conspiracies rather than The "God" of Black Helicopters - similar but with some very key differences. The way the show is presenting him is like "This guy is more powerful than all of you" rather than "this guy is the God Police".

Vorgen posted:

Uh... I don't remember Mr. World being Loki. They're even played by different actors.

In case you're not joking, this is the thread for people who have read the book in which it is revealed that Mr. World is literally Loki and him and Wednesday are conning everyone

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mr Wood was working with Mr Town and Mr World so I'm pretty sure it was the World Tree, yeah

get it

WORLD TREE

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Gillian is absolutely murdering it in this. It takes chops to be the best thing in a show that has Ian McShane in it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One wonders if Freya gets some power from Friday being worshiped by everyone with an office job

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You know, it occurs to me that all the hilarious tip-toeing in the non-spoiler thread regarding Wednesday might be off tone entirely. I think Gaiman/Fuller/et al expected the audience to be smart enough to make the connection that someone in a show called American Gods, who hangs out with Gods, who says "Wednesday, that's my day", has ravens around, is called Wotan in episode 2, is Odin.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

Well to be fair, Norse mythology definitely wasn't all that popular/mainstream when the novel came out. It's definitely become a bit more mainstream with the Marvel movies. I doubt many people know the alternate names of Odin, and most have no idea that Wednesday comes from his name. I did when I read the book because I was a mythology nerd, but that definitely wasn't the norm.

Where'd you go to school? I was taught the basics of Norse/Greek/Roman mythologies in at least 3 different classes. At least the "Thor's Day, Freya's Day, Wotan's Day" and "he has a bro named Loki" basics. Honestly thought most people were, since I went to school all over the country growing up and always encountered it. Then again that was a long time ago, maybe they don't bother teaching that stuff more recently.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's a great touch that Media literally speaks in lyrics and quotes, as if she doesn't really know how to speak English, she just knows what's been in the airwaves.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
An interview from 2011 has Gaiman saying that American Gods 2 would be focused almost entirely on the new Gods. So now I'm suddenly MUCH more interested in it happening.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Crow Jane posted:

He introduces the spider to Shadow as Mr. Nancy, doesn't he? It's definitely him

I believe he just says "See that spider? It's an old friend". But there's only been one spider in the entire show so far, so I doubt it's supposed to be at all mysterious.

I'm wondering if the Bilquis scenes' purpose was to show that even the Old Gods can be just as selfish as the New ones. I mean she is just straight up murdering people to stay young/healthy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ZorajitZorajit posted:

What if Startup Techbro is a new Technical Boy that replaced Matrix Goon Technical Boy sometime in the late 2000s?

That would be pretty cool!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

Someone earlier posted suggesting the same, and it seems extra possible since they changed the nature of the dude. In the book he was more of a dick who was using her as a prostitute, where in the show he was some kind old man just trying to get back into dating. They turned her into more of a predator, probably to let the audience know all the gods are playing for keeps and nothing is quite as simple as black and white.

Yeah, I'm hesitantly taking back my accusations that those scenes were pointless. Just didn't keep the long con in mind, I guess :wink:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It occurs to me they missed an opportunity to have Media say "So where is the spider?" :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They've cast five Jesus already and I doubt it would happen this season but I'd love to see Eastern Orthodox Jesus.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The ODIN missile wouldn't have created Korean Odin (or at least, not done that INSTEAD of making Wednesday powerful) because the belief generally flows from the people doing the killing, not the ones being killed. There would be headlines literally saying "ODIN kills 6 million Koreans" and I think that would genuinely have helped Wednesday.

The point is that he was never gonna take the offer no matter what it was because... him and Loki are running a con. It doesn't matter if the offer "would have worked" or not, it was an entirely false offer and neither of them cared about how plausible it was. They just had to distract Media and PewDiePius.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I kinda like the running non-spoiler thread idea that Mr. World is the shadow government more than the actual twist.

Gaiman could be pulling a con of his own and that could end up being true, for all we know at this point!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The book is kind of objectively bad, but the show is keeping the stuff that made the book bad (pacing issues, mostly) so I'm not sure I agree.

A lot of this stuff does work better in a visual Media though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Objectively might be the wrong word - technically bad. It is one of the worst-written (in a technical sense) novels I've ever read (or proof-read, which is probably a more damning indictment). William Burroughs has written novels that were more technically competent than American Gods :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It would hilarious trolling of book readers if they show Mr. World's driver, and it's Low-Key from the first episode :psypop:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

I wouldn't call Gaimans books amazing, but they're definitely fun reads. Neverwhere and Stardust are two of my favorites, they're definitely not Pulitzer prize winning books but they're not utter trash.

Stardust is very well-written - tight plotting, pacing, great characters, it has it all. That, Coraline, and The Ocean at the End of the Lane are his unqualified successes. Anansi Boys is great too.

This episode totally restored my faith in this as a TV show though. God drat, now we're talking!

...there's only 2 episode left, where are Mr. Nancy and American Jesus?! I assume we're getting Jesus next episode.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve Yun posted:

I could be wrong but it looks like there's another White Jesus, and he wears polos and khakis

I'm thinking that's Mormon Jesus

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah the ONE THING I wanted this season was Orlando Jones singing "I got tiger's balls" :mad:

Really hoping they didn't cast Jeremy Davies for just that episode, he was perfect. "God drat it..." Also he was credited as "Jesus Prime" haha.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

One of them even has a baby dinosaur might be my favorite line in the series. So drat on point.

Despite a lot of pacing problems, the parts of this episode that were good were really loving good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BrianWilly posted:

Basically if you tell me that Odin has become a shadow of his former self because not enough people believe in him, my first thought is "Well, that's not Odin."

I mean, you're not wrong. Did you forget the line in the book? "He is me, but I am not him."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mycomancy posted:

With the show in hiatus now, where oh where can I get my weekly dose of disturbingly large cocks on muh teevee?

Buy a dildo. All the dicks onscreen this season were dildos or CGI, per Fuller. I find it pretty dumb honestly. I'll never understand why the entertainment industry caters to the general public's hysterical aversion to the penis (especially erect ones).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah but if you're that kind of American then this show is already going to offend you, which is why I find it specifically strange that they would bother with fake dicks. It's as weird to me, as someone who is not afraid of dicks, as it would be if films and shows had topless women wear prosthetic breasts that looked just like their normal breasts (though maybe larger).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Guy Mann posted:

They use fake genitals for consistency and because they film better. Trying to blame it on puritanical America is dumb because it's what literally everyone does, the lesbian sex scene in Blue Is the Warmest Color also used fake labias.

I was under the impression that was mostly because the girls in that movie are very young?

I can think of dozens of films that have shown real vaginas and dicks, so "literally everyone" does not muck about.

Harvey Keitel's dick was on full display in The Piano, and that was over 20 years ago and that movie played everywhere. There was some controversy, but... it was 20 years ago

• Locked thread