Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
despite all of its problems and not aging very well, morrowind is still one of my favorite games. congratulations morrowind: you're nearly old enough to drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MnhhBoioCI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think people who like this game have brain damage, OP. But congratulations Morrowind.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I also turned 15 yesterday

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Wormskull posted:

I think people who like this game have brain damage, OP. But congratulations Morrowind.

You're right and it's cool that they use their brain damage to do stuff like completely remake the game engine from the ground up and fix all of the bugs so that it will remain playable for years to come

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF-XMtNEudQ

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

happy birthday morrowind

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This game is good and my brain is extremely damaged. I enjoy the atmosphere of the world and depth of writing, and I don't care that it's slow and plays like poo poo.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

This game is good and my brain is extremely damaged. I enjoy the atmosphere of the world and depth of writing, and I don't care that it's slow and plays like poo poo.

i can't play it any more, but the experience of exploring morrowind the first few times is unparalleled for me. it will always have a place in my heart. happy bday morrowind.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

i can't play it any more, but the experience of exploring morrowind the first few times is unparalleled for me. it will always have a place in my heart. happy bday morrowind.
I've been replaying it and I'm surprised how well it holds up.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

hahahaha

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I've purchased Morrowind twice but, despite its extremely incredibly epic Buddhist/Taoist/Gnostic/Existentialist story and lore, I haven't played it for more than 10 minutes.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Lmao

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Same. I've never really come across another game that had a world that felt as fully-realized or as unique.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

in this depraved world of ruin you only have the choice of having either aids or brain damage and friends, i choose brain damage every dayyuurrrrruuuuudduuuhhhh

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Keep Tamriel Weird. where them ashlands and shroom swamps at?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Same. I've never really come across another game that had a world that felt as fully-realized or as unique.

i've got to say that breath of the wild recaptured that feeling for me. thinking: "look at that weird rear end rock. i bet there's something cool there." and then you go to the weird rear end rock, and there's something cool there.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

i've got to say that breath of the wild recaptured that feeling for me. thinking: "look at that weird rear end rock. i bet there's something cool there." and then you go to the weird rear end rock, and there's something cool there.
For me, Morrowind's not that interesting when you're out in the wilderness. But the density and size of towns, and the fact that you can easily access almost all of them right at the start of the game, is very cool. The game's strength is in its writing, and you largely see that in towns.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

When you go to the secret library in Vivec is fantastic. The game does a good job of not saying "this group is good and this other one is evil." Instead, they present you with two opposing views of a historic event and let you make your own decisions. Sure, you're the Nerevarine no matter what, but it's up to you how you feel about the ancient war, the Tribunal, and so forth. Same with all the great houses and the guilds.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I don't know if this was really unique to Morrowind or if TES I and II or other games did it first but killing my first bandit and realizing that he played by the same rules I did and all his armor, clothes, weapons and stuff were actually equipped in his inventory and I could take them blew my mind at the time.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i never played it but it was morrowind that inspired From to change up their kings field mechanics which led to the basic souls formula right? so i mean thats pretty cool

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Morrowind is my GOAT.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

For me, Morrowind's not that interesting when you're out in the wilderness. But the density and size of towns, and the fact that you can easily access almost all of them right at the start of the game, is very cool. The game's strength is in its writing, and you largely see that in towns.

I replayed Morrowind last year for the first time since it came out and I forgot about the depth of the faction quests and the way that different factions might synergize or double cross on another. I can't really see a storyline as murky and complicated as the Fighter's Guild corruption story in a modern Bethesda game.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?AUXiwNSkpYA

WEEDCAT
Oct 31, 2005

*sets you on fire*
I was about five minutes from giving up on the game due to hating the slow movement speed when I ran into a quest giving lady on the road. Finished the quest and got the Boots of Blinding Speed. Put them on and could still see a little due to Breton passive magic resistance and could now run like the wind.

The magic systems in the game are so sick.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I get what they were trying to do with fatigue but missing all the time when it's empty makes the game nearly unplayable in combat if you aren't abusing potions.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I've purchased Morrowind twice but, despite its extremely incredibly epic Buddhist/Taoist/Gnostic/Existentialist story and lore, I haven't played it for more than 10 minutes.

More than enough time to beat it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

I replayed Morrowind last year for the first time since it came out and I forgot about the depth of the faction quests and the way that different factions might synergize or double cross on another. I can't really see a storyline as murky and complicated as the Fighter's Guild corruption story in a modern Bethesda game.
The first few things you do for the Mage's Guild are to go put the squeeze on people to get them to join the guild (and pay dues) or else kill them. It's the only time I've seen guilds act like guilds in a game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

This is probably my favourite game and I definitely have brain damage. I made a muffin quest mod for it when I was 15 but apparently it's not completely AIDS.

FactsAreUseless posted:

When you go to the secret library in Vivec is fantastic. The game does a good job of not saying "this group is good and this other one is evil." Instead, they present you with two opposing views of a historic event and let you make your own decisions. Sure, you're the Nerevarine no matter what, but it's up to you how you feel about the ancient war, the Tribunal, and so forth. Same with all the great houses and the guilds.
It's even up to you whether you're actually the Nerevarine. I love how Cauis says to you right from the off "we just picked you because you meet the right criteria to trick these guys into letting us gently caress up their culture" and then you think the prophecy is true or whatever because Azura blesses you and you get Nerevar's magic ring that only he can wear (enchanted by Azura) but no poo poo, of course she does, she's a petty bitch who saw you overcoming trials and decided you stood a good chance of murdering the Tribunal if she asked and magic'd her ring so you could wear it. The whole story owns.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This is probably my favourite game and I definitely have brain damage. I made a muffin quest mod for it when I was 15 but apparently it's not completely AIDS.

It's also up to you whether you're actually the Nerevarine. I love how Cauis says to you right from the off "we just picked you because you meet the right criteria to trick these guys into letting us gently caress up their culture" and then you think the prophecy is true or whatever because Azura blesses you but no poo poo, of course she does, she's a petty bitch who saw you overcoming trials and decided you stood a good chance of murdering the Tribunal for her. The whole story owns.

sounds cool but have you played undertale

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

elf help book posted:

sounds cool but have you played undertale
Undertale's pretty good.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's also up to you whether you're actually the Nerevarine. I love how Cauis says to you right from the off "we just picked you because you meet the right criteria to trick these guys into letting us gently caress up their culture" and then you think the prophecy is true or whatever because Azura blesses you but no poo poo, of course she does, she's a petty bitch who saw you overcoming trials and decided you stood a good chance of murdering the Tribunal for her. The whole story owns.
This is a good point, but I would wonder how Dagoth Ur knows about you if you're not the Nerevarine. Then again, it might be the same situation. A bunch of people really want you to be the Nerevarine, whether for personal reasons (Dagoth Ur) or political convenience (Caius Cosades), or just to use you as a weapon (Vivec, Almalexia).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is a good point, but I would wonder how Dagoth Ur knows about you if you're not the Nerevarine. Then again, it might be the same situation. A bunch of people really want you to be the Nerevarine, whether for personal reasons (Dagoth Ur) or political convenience (Caius Cosades), or just to use you as a weapon (Vivec, Almalexia).
yeah it's kind of weird that Dagoth Ur knows who you are even if you go in right away. It's cool that he has dialogue if you visit him before you're supposed to but I wonder if that was written by someone else who didn't really care about all the esoteric poo poo lol

Peddle2thaMetal
Apr 17, 2012

ooooooooo yeaaaahhh
Morrowind was pretty cool and ambitious for the time. I had to upgrade to a TNT 2 3D card to play it :/

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

the ending of the thread is ALMSIVI

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
morrowind is good

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Pole-Jack Norsemen posted:

morrowind is good

For retard lmfao. Yeah it s good. For retards. lmfao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Wormskull posted:

For retard lmfao. Yeah it s good. For retards. lmfao.

Yeah you would love it.

• Locked thread