Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Please give some examples of this, it sounds awesome.

IIRC for TNG there's Angel One, there's the episode with the androgynous aliens (where Jonathan Frakes was apparently disappointed that the producers insisted on the androgynous love interest being played by a woman), most of the cast protested about Code of Honor because it was way, way racist.

For Voyager I think it's too long to list because everyone was basically just sticking by due to contractual obligations by the end of the run, so most of the series is poo poo. Kate Mulgrew read Janeway as an undiagnosed manic depressive because of the way nobody could write her a consistent personality through the whole run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'm reminded of when Joementum mentioned one of the earliest and worst episodes of Star Trek TNG was about a space-Genghis Khan with a harem and it was written by the same person who did a DSP9 episode about a space-African Warlord with a harem.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm reminded of when Joementum mentioned one of the earliest and worst episodes of Star Trek TNG was about a space-Genghis Khan with a harem and it was written by the same person who did a DSP9 episode about a space-African Warlord with a harem.

TNG had the space-African Warlord with a harem.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Code of Honor was the space african warlord episode.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Please give some examples of this, it sounds awesome.

The TNG planet of the blacks was probably one of the most egregious.

Edit whoa beat

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Like even the one sentence plot summary of "Space african warlord fucks up a peace deal by demanding a bride from the Enterprise crew" should tell you that it should never have aired or even have been greenlighted for filming.

Which is a pity as Trek does have positive moments but god drat when they gently caress up.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Now we have The Expanse to be our woke multiculti space show

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Now we have The Expanse to be our woke multiculti space show

But how do you tell who's the minority without facial tattoos and akuchiemoyas?

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

scuba school sucks posted:

To be fair if I was at an "event" and they were handing out "write-in your pronouns" badges I'd just leave.

Clearly you don't go to crazy enough events.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Volcott posted:

But how do you tell who's the minority without facial tattoos and akuchiemoyas?

Everyone without capital is the minority.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Weeping Wound posted:

Leto II is a literal dictator that rules for 5000 years to force humanity to evolve along some Golden Path

thanks u think

There is a legit subset of nerds who don't get that the Dune universe is bad. Like, not poorly written, but rather a lovely place to be, filled with lovely people and things. See also all of Cyberpunk and WH40k

Like, lets keep Atwood away from the alt-right, Handmaid's Tale would give em ideas.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Grimoire posted:

There is a legit subset of nerds who don't get that the Dune universe is bad. Like, not poorly written, but rather a lovely place to be, filled with lovely people and things. See also all of Cyberpunk and WH40k

Like, lets keep Atwood away from the alt-right, Handmaid's Tale would give em ideas.

We're in the cyberpunk. It's alright. Smartphones are a lot more portable than decks, the corporate overlords are relatively benign operations like Amazon and Google, and the race war is still a few years away.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Volcott posted:

We're in the cyberpunk. It's alright. Smartphones are a lot more portable than decks, the corporate overlords are relatively benign operations like Amazon and Google, and the race war is still a few years away.

Well, there's Nestle, Coca Cola and PepsiCo competing for the role of evilest megacorporation.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Agnosticnixie posted:

Well, there's Nestle, Coca Cola and PepsiCo competing for the role of evilest megacorporation.

Yeah, but Coke isn't made out of forsaken children.

Looking at you, Aztechnology. That was hosed up.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Agnosticnixie posted:

Lol if you think they're even in the top 3

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 235 days!

Grimoire posted:

like leto ii won't shut up about how the point of his rule is to make sure humanity is sick of the idea of a strong daddy on a genetic level

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

rudatron posted:

Lol if you think they're even in the top 3

I guess there's always mining internationals that could top food megacorps.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Agnosticnixie posted:

I guess there's always mining internationals that could top food megacorps.

You gotta have at least one Union Carbide in Bhopal level disaster under your belt to even be in the running for worst megacorportaion

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kurtofan posted:

this is a sad day for the tron fandom, all ten of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msKI1T9i710

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Grimoire posted:

The entire output of Warhammer 40k is a setting created by grognards forced to live in Thatcherite Britain, now controlled by second generation fans who thought actually endless war and fascist ubermensch were extremely cool and good let's make them the protagonists.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Pierson posted:

The entire output of Warhammer 40k is a setting created by grognards forced to live in Thatcherite Britain, now controlled by second generation fans who thought actually endless war and fascist ubermensch were extremely cool and good let's make them the protagonists.

The Imperium are a bunch of zealot fascists who don't understand how anything works and are opposed to any form of advancement. Everything about them is in direct opposition to what their chief holy figure would have wanted, which is a cute nod to modern religion. The entire point was that there were no good guys when it came to endless war, except maybe the Orks because whatever else is happening they're having fun. Also everything was a lot goofier and fun before the grimdark settled in.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Not a Step posted:

You gotta have at least one Union Carbide in Bhopal level disaster under your belt to even be in the running for worst megacorportaion

It all comes back to the banks, what have their fingers in all this poo poo.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I like how Amazon, which has some of the worst working conditions in the United States, is described as "relatively benign."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Not a Step posted:

The Imperium are a bunch of zealot fascists who don't understand how anything works and are opposed to any form of advancement. Everything about them is in direct opposition to what their chief holy figure would have wanted, which is a cute nod to modern religion. The entire point was that there were no good guys when it came to endless war, except maybe the Orks because whatever else is happening they're having fun. Also everything was a lot goofier and fun before the grimdark settled in.

Yeah pretty much. I still love 40k lore and universe. The issue is the lore started to crawl up its own rear end in a top hat and is a uroburos.

Grimoire posted:

Yeah. I mean I am a Star Wars nerd and I play devils advocate for the imperial when talking with my friends. Then again new canon has made the empire more interesting and now it's more inclusive human wise at least. I like Atwood's stuff. Hate leGuin though. Interesting ideas but her books are boring and didactic as gently caress. Not a fan of her writing style.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I like how Amazon, which has some of the worst working conditions in the United States, is described as "relatively benign."

Compared to the average corporation in cyberpunk fiction, 8 hours in a warehouse for a living wage is relatively benign.

http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Shadowrun_corporations

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Volcott posted:

Compared to the average corporation in cyberpunk fiction, 8 hours in a warehouse for a living wage is relatively benign.

http://shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Shadowrun_corporations

Shadowrun has magic and poo poo. Make comparisons to Cyberpunk or go home. :clint:

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Weeping Wound posted:

Leto II is a literal dictator that rules for 5000 years to force humanity to evolve along some Golden Path

thanks u think

doesn't it end with him abolishing all authority by some huge migration?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Shadowrun has magic and poo poo. Make comparisons to Cyberpunk or go home. :clint:

I don't remember anything about Neuromancer, but I'm sure there were lovely corporations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 235 days!

Top City Homo posted:

doesn't it end with him abolishing all authority by some huge migration?

he arranges his own assassination, with the resulting collapse of the restrictions he placed on expansion, along with political chaos and widespread famine, leading to a huge migration

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I still hope that we're living in the vampire: the masquerade universe

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Hodgepodge posted:

he arranges his own assassination, with the resulting collapse of the restrictions he placed on expansion, along with political chaos and widespread famine, leading to a huge migration

so that's.... good...?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Top City Homo posted:

so that's.... good...?

I think his dad had the better plan: gently caress off into the desert and die.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The whole thing is incredibly dumb but it amounts to intentionally creating a repressive regime and then collapsing it to, uh, teach the people the dangers of forming governments? Like, if you wanted to socially engineer a universe full of sovereign citizens distrustful of any central authority because you thought that was the only sensible way forward for humanity.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 235 days!

Not a Step posted:

The whole thing is incredibly dumb but it amounts to intentionally creating a repressive regime and then collapsing it to, uh, teach the people the dangers of forming governments? Like, if you wanted to socially engineer a universe full of sovereign citizens distrustful of any central authority because you thought that was the only sensible way forward for humanity.

the regime was repressive, but also secure economically and politically; the idea being to kill the meme of the patriarchal golden age forever

it is kind of dumb, since herbert couldn't imagine history being driven by forces other than instinct on the one hand and elite manipulation on the other

leto ii's other goal was to breed humans invisible to precognition :shrug:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
There were Dune books other than Dune?

There weren't. Don't read them

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

wizard on a water slide posted:

There were Dune books other than Dune?

There weren't. Don't read them

Dune Messiah was... alright? Needed more Sting.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
all the dune books are good

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Baloogan posted:

all the dune books are good

Do not believe this man.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
maybe u didn't understand them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Baloogan posted:

maybe u didn't understand them?

I understand what jerking off looks like.

• Locked thread