Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sorry that was clickbait there's not any.

It's May! Comics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Aunt May's wheatcakes station.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
MAY IS FREE COMIC BOOK DAY MONTH

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

MAY IS FREE COMIC BOOK DAY MONTH

So you're saying that all the comics at your store are free the entire month?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

max landis

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Roth posted:

So you're saying that all the comics at your store are free the entire month?

It'd be funny if we didn't have to tell a bunch of people that is not the case every FCBD.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

It'd be funny if we didn't have to tell a bunch of people that is not the case every FCBD.

We had a major clusterfuck one year and ended up with like 250+ missing comics.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
My local comic shop always has a big sale the weekend after Free Comic Book Day. So people who come in for FCBD see the fliers for the sale. I always thought that was pretty clever

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alaois posted:

max landis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmbUEYYMZG4

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy Goodbody posted:

My local comic shop always has a big sale the weekend after Free Comic Book Day. So people who come in for FCBD see the fliers for the sale. I always thought that was pretty clever

I petition for this every year but the owners think having sales on FCBD is the way to go.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

I petition for this every year but the owners think having sales on FCBD is the way to go.

I don't know anything about retail or psychology, but it seems kinda obvious to me that if you get someone to come to your store twice in quick succession, it's way more likely that they'll come back a third time

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't know anything about retail or psychology, but it seems kinda obvious to me that if you get someone to come to your store twice in quick succession, it's way more likely that they'll come back a third time

It's a question of whether they'll come back a second time at all. Like a good chunk of people might come in on FCD and then buy some sale items also, but if there was just ads for a sale next week they'll come in, take some free comics then leave and not think about it again.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skwirl posted:

It's a question of whether they'll come back a second time at all. Like a good chunk of people might come in on FCD and then buy some sale items also, but if there was just ads for a sale next week they'll come in, take some free comics then leave and not think about it again.

It seems to work for the store, They're always super packed during the sale, and with a wider variety of people than the typical comic crowd

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

FCBD is nutso. I'm dressed as Batman, we have the Detroit Ghostbusters, and we're located on a busy street, so we pull in a ton of people wanting pictures. The kids are so cute my mouth hurts from smiling so much. Couple of them kindly reminded me that Batman doesn't smile.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Open Marriage Night posted:

FCBD is nutso. I'm dressed as Batman, we have the Detroit Ghostbusters, and we're located on a busy street, so we pull in a ton of people wanting pictures. The kids are so cute my mouth hurts from smiling so much. Couple of them kindly reminded me that Batman doesn't smile.

Just say you're the Dick Grayson Batman. Problem solved!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Joker gas

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I've never been to FCBD because I'm usually busy on Saturdays.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Also I feel somewhat like it's not aimed at me.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Just say you're the Dick Grayson Batman. Problem solved!

"Don't worry kids, I'm DickBats" could be interpreted really poorly

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

quote:

I ama huge Grant Morrison fan and I can't imagine ever in a million years wanting to go to Morrison con.

Also, why is Thor's hammer in that graphic? did Grant Morrison do a run of Thor?

Turns out it was actually a neo-Nazi conference. Boy was Uzi surprised!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So with Comics Alliance down apparently for good this time, what's the best comic news site to put in my feed? I realize that actual journalism is an impossible ask; I'll settle for recaps of big event comics and "in case you missed it" call-outs of interesting shock endings to random comics. Basically who's gonna tell me the two sentences I need to know before they impact the comics I care about so that I don't have to actually read bullshit like The Button or Secret Empire?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

So with Comics Alliance down apparently for good this time, what's the best comic news site to put in my feed? I realize that actual journalism is an impossible ask; I'll settle for recaps of big event comics and "in case you missed it" call-outs of interesting shock endings to random comics. Basically who's gonna tell me the two sentences I need to know before they impact the comics I care about so that I don't have to actually read bullshit like The Button or Secret Empire?

previewsworld dot com

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

CapnAndy posted:

I think you can just ask BSS probably.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Love Is Love was added on to the Eisner Best Anthology nominations after everyone told them that basing release dates on Amazon listings is pretty dumb.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/05/03/love-love-now-added-2017-eisner-awards-nominations/

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I used to read Comics Alliance for Ask Chris, are there any other blogs/columns that fill the same niche? I really enjoyed all the stuff that he wrote.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Guys, I'm gonna have coffee and bagels with Stan Lee.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

...ask him if The Thing's dork is made out of orange rock like the rest of his body.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Is it real Stan Lee or some guy named Stan Lee?

If real ask him how much blow did he do in the 70s

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Endless Mike posted:

Careful, before you know it, he'll be telling everyone he wrote all your forum posts

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Endless Mike posted:

Is this an Awesome Con thing?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Murder him, it's what jack kerby would want or something!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Is it real Stan Lee or some guy named Stan Lee?

If real ask him how much blow did he do in the 70s
Real.

purple death ray posted:

Careful, before you know it, he'll be telling everyone he wrote all your forum posts
This would be an honor!

joehonkie posted:

Is this an Awesome Con thing?
Yeah.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

He's no Adam West but that sounds pretty cool.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shinsuke Nakamura is also appearing. Oh what a day! What a glorious day!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Nursing home-bound Bill Mantlo is moving out to a new home of his own thanks to a Marvel re-negotiation.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 4, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So the Barnes & Noble by me has a pretty awesome and huge used book section. It's always been a great source for comics - tons of TPBs and a whole mess of individual issues, even. Lately, though, they apparently hired a new guy to price all the used stuff, and his source is apparently eBay or Amazon or something. It's lead to some really annoying/disappointing finds. Last week I found the original Preacher TPBs, volumes 5-8. Prices were $8 for vol. 8, $8 for vol. 7, $35 for vol. 6 and $18 for vol. 5. I get that they reprinted them, but the total lack of consistency is really annoying. Sometimes they have Sandman TPBs from the original run and they're priced at $50+. Hell, I found a very slim Flash TPB from the 2005-2012 DC logo era that was marked at $65.

I lucked out the other day and got one of the reprinted Y: the Last Man omnibus TPBs for $5, and one of the Dark Horse Tales of the Jedi TPBs for like $4. They have a whole bunch of Star Wars stuff ranging from the older Dark Horse stuff to the later DH stuff like Old Republic, but the pricing is all over the drat place, and not enough of a single series to justify trying to start the collection midway through.

On the upside, a lot of the stuff in there goes on 25%/50%/$1 markdown pretty often. The Y: the Last Man I got was $10 originally. That $65 Flash TPB was 50% off, but even $32 is pretty ridiculous for what looked like a <5-issue collection.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That's really loving cool.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Another article, this one written by his brother
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/guardians-galaxy-how-rocket-raccoon-rescued-my-brother-bill-mantlo-999096

I want to say it's a touching story, and I guess eventually it is, but it makes me more sad and angry than anything that his career was cut short that way.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lol I have to quit buying new comics because America is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I wanna read more books! Any recommendations for books/novels written by comic book writers. I have already read all of Gaiman's stuff, as well as Ellis's Crooked Little Vein and Machine Gun.

• Locked thread