Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Madkal posted:

I wanna read more books! Any recommendations for books/novels written by comic book writers. I have already read all of Gaiman's stuff, as well as Ellis's Crooked Little Vein and Machine Gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

I wanna read more books! Any recommendations for books/novels written by comic book writers. I have already read all of Gaiman's stuff, as well as Ellis's Crooked Little Vein and Machine Gun.

Voodoo Heart by Scott Snyder
A Once Crowded Sky by Tom King
Alan Moore's Jerusalem (it's only 1,200 pages!)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

redbackground posted:

Voodoo Heart by Scott Snyder
A Once Crowded Sky by Tom King
Alan Moore's Jerusalem (it's only 1,200 pages!)

Seeing as that I barely make it through Pynchon books I will give Moore's no-doubtedly very dense a book a miss. Thanks for the other suggestions though. I knew King wrote a book (though I kept forgetting the title) but never knew Snyder did too.
I also forgot to mention that I have read PAD's Sir Apropos.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Mike Carey's written a book or two but I have no idea if they're any good or not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Greg Rucka's Atticus Kodiak novels are pretty great.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been meaning to read his Queen And Country novels, as well, since I like the comic series a lot.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Madkal posted:

The Bas-Lag trilogy (Perdido Street Station, The Scar, Iron Council) by China Miéville are really good.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Greg Rucka wrote a couple of Star Wars YA novels!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Based on Blackbolt #1, I'm going to be giving Saladin Ahmed's books a shot. That was a good comic.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dan Abnett wrote something like fifty Warhammer 40k books, you could read all of those.

edit: not actually a joke, the Thousands Sons/Prospero Burns duology is good even if you aren't a Warhammer fan

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 5, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Peter David has some novels. His Apropos of Nothing series sounds interesting, but I haven't read, so I can't comment specifically.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Dan Abnett wrote something like fifty Warhammer 40k books, you could read all of those.

edit: not actually a joke, the Thousands Sons/Prospero Burns duology is good even if you aren't a Warhammer fan

You beat me to the punch! Definitely seconding this recommendation. Read Eisenhorn, then get back to us.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

Si Spurrier has written 5 or 6 40K books as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Roger Stern wrote a novelisation of The Death of Superman. :v:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Has anyone read any of the Martha Washington books? The lead being a black woman makes me want to read it but i'm apprehensive since it's written by Frank Miller.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

Has anyone read any of the Martha Washington books? The lead being a black woman makes me want to read it but i'm apprehensive since it's written by Frank Miller.

They are very good.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If you liked Mike Carey's urban fantasy work, his novels are excellent beach reading material

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I read a Brad Metzer book, you'll never guess the ending.

The main suspect's wife did it because she was fuckin' crazy, chicks man, am I right.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

I read a Brad Metzer book, you'll never guess the ending.

The main suspect's wife did it because she was fuckin' crazy, chicks man, am I right.

Did they solve the case after she blurted out something like "Man it must suck being shot 20 times in the back and having your heart be removed by a stainless steel kitchen knife bought at the local Walmart" and the guy replies "I never mentioned that the person died by being shot 20 times and that his heart was removed by a stainless steel kitchen knife that was bought at the local Wallmart. By golly you must be the killer! Also, care to explain why you are walking around with a loving flamethrower?!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When the comic was coming out, was it a serious consideration between issues 6 and 7 coming out that Ray Palmer might have killed Sue or was it generally agreed that Jean did it?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Wheat Loaf posted:

When the comic was coming out, was it a serious consideration between issues 6 and 7 coming out that Ray Palmer might have killed Sue or was it generally agreed that Jean did it?
As I remember it, Ray and Jean were the leading suspects, with most people favoring Ray because Jean had no motive.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

As I remember it, Ray and Jean were the leading suspects, with most people favoring Ray because Jean had no motive.

"True Love" is always a a great motive.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Madkal posted:

Did they solve the case after she blurted out something like "Man it must suck being shot 20 times in the back and having your heart be removed by a stainless steel kitchen knife bought at the local Walmart" and the guy replies "I never mentioned that the person died by being shot 20 times and that his heart was removed by a stainless steel kitchen knife that was bought at the local Wallmart. By golly you must be the killer! Also, care to explain why you are walking around with a loving flamethrower?!"

Ow, don't do that. My stomach just lowered to my testicles and that hurts, bro.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Madkal posted:

"True Love" is always a a great motive.
Which is why Ray was the leading suspect and Jean made comparitively little sense; Ray was obviously pining and was Jean's at any time for the asking.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

Which is why Ray was the leading suspect and Jean made comparitively little sense; Ray was obviously pining and was Jean's at any time for the asking.

In the end Identity Crisis was a romantic comedy of "will they won't they" mixed in with rape, and murder by flamethrower.

More I think about the comic the more it sucks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CapnAndy posted:

What was Ray's motive meant to be?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Endless Mike posted:

Peter David has some novels. His Apropos of Nothing series sounds interesting, but I haven't read, so I can't comment specifically.

I enjoy them, although I felt the most recent one wasn't up to the first three.

And Ellis has a new short novel out, Normal. It's Ellis Ellising, so anyone who liked Crooked Little Vein and Gun Machine will probably like it, too.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

What was Ray's motive meant to be?
What Jean's motive turned out to be; engineering the situation so they'd get back together. The reason it works for him and not her is that their relationship at the time (and it's even restated early on in the actual comic, so it's not like there was a stealth retcon) was that Ray was still holding a very obvious torch for Jean and wanting to get back together, but she wasn't interested. Ray was Jean's for the asking, but not vice versa.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BSS was founded on a huge love of Identity Crisis, never forget that.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I thought it was a huge love of the first 6 issues.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zachack posted:

I thought it was a huge love of the first 6 issues.

I believe we got punted out of GBS around #4.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Given that there's a lot of stories where Dr Strange travels through time, is there a story where someone else (or Strange himself) travels back to grab a pre-injury Dr Strange to perform a difficult surgery?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm going to be scarce for a bit due to a death in my immediate family. So reports will likely go unread for the next five or six days as I'll only be using the app on my phone if I drop by. If something that needs any real attention comes up, not that this ever happens here anyway, PM me and I'll get to it if I can or get someone that can get to it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

I'm going to be scarce for a bit due to a death in my immediate family. So reports will likely go unread for the next five or six days as I'll only be using the app on my phone if I drop by. If something that needs any real attention comes up, not that this ever happens here anyway, PM me and I'll get to it if I can or get someone that can get to it.

To XO: sorry to hear that. Hope all is okay with you and your family. Condolences.

To goons: now that old man XO is gone who wants to start poo poo and stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

Sorry to hear, boss. We'll hold down the fort

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Abraham Riesman's pop culture articles, essays, and interviews on Vulture are uniformly great, and his new piece on Stan Lee is no exception. Most people here will already know most of this stuff about Stan the Man and his checkered legacy, but it's worth a read anyway:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/stan-lees-universe-c-v-r.html

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Jean's motive really isn't the problem, especially when there is a pretty stylish scene that basically tells you that the heroes' loved ones are the ones who are benefitting.

The problem with Identity Crisis is that it treats women like poo poo. Like even the moment where loving Wonder Woman shows up, she exists entirely through a male gaze. Also that stupid fight scene that is basically just Slade Wilson fan fiction.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
For the record (and sincerely, you can go back and look at that original GBS thread in the archives) I never liked Identity Crisis! Or at least, I was cautiously optimistic but annoyed by the tone for about two issues, then took a hard turn against it.

I also wrote up a concise exploration of its flaws jeez, almost seven years ago so I wouldn't have to keep rewriting them.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

X-O posted:

Very sorry to hear that. I will do my best not to be a shithead over the next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

BSS was founded on a huge love of Identity Crisis, never forget that.
I never ever will, :hfive: to everyone who's been there from that thread to now.

• Locked thread