Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pookie Bear
Nov 19, 2004

Jesus all you loving '04s were the goddamn loving worse. Everyone one of you terrible human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Was Taters posted:

Rhyno scared me off.

How are you liking Rebirth

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Pookie Bear posted:

Jesus all you loving '04s were the goddamn loving worse. Everyone one of you terrible human being.
lol when did you re-reg?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

purple death ray posted:

How are you liking Rebirth

I'm not really reading much of it, I don't think, except Yang's New Super-Man. I'm down to about 8-10 books a month, which is one reason I'm not in here as much. Gone gone the form of $35 a week comics purchases/rise the somethingsomething.

A lot of books moved out of my wheelhouse and at first I was pretty pouty about it, particularly Grayson etc., but eventually I realized I had 30 yrs of my way, it's ok for someone else to get their jollies (for a while anyway :doom: ). That doesn't mean I don't complain about comics, just not ones that aren't what I used to love but changed. I still have a lot of problems with comics, plenty to bitch about!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

Am I crazy or have you not posted here in like, years?

I feel like it's been like a year.

Sliding timeline and all that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Was Taters posted:

Fighting off twins, IIRC.

Welcome back!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Pookie Bear posted:

Pookie! What the gently caress is up, hi!!!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You've always loved me. I have the pictures to prove it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Pookie Bear posted:

05s forever.

Pookie Bear
Nov 19, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

lol when did you re-reg?

who knows, I think around the halloween thread maybe 4 years ago.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Waterhaul posted:

05s forever.

Gavok is the Best 05 Ever. :colbert:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

05s forever.

Holy poo poo Waterhaul. poo poo just got real in here. Feels like I am reliving the glory days of BSS right now. All we need is Doogz now.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Huh, not only did I explore a solid comic book shop I never knew of right around the corner from me, but they had all the FCBD kid's comics that were gone everywhere else when I went around on Saturday. And both Fletcher Hanks collections were on their 1/2 off clearance shelves!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I will be in Portland OR next week at this time, what comic shops should I check out during my trip?

(also, what places have awesome burgers and local beer? A boardgame bar would be nice to meet up with some friends that will also be in the city at the time, too)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Madkal posted:

Holy poo poo Waterhaul. poo poo just got real in here. Feels like I am reliving the glory days of BSS right now. All we need is Doogz now.

Yeah we can talk about it on Brother Eye

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
BSS Fact: People were absolutely in love with the Udon Taskmaster costume, if DC had adopted the Udon Taskmaster costume (NOT THE STUPID SKULL COSTUME RRRRRRRRRR) it's entirely possible Marvel would be out of business right now due to the sheer awesomeness of DC having Identity Crisis, Jeph Loeb, and Udon Taskmaster all at the same time in 2006.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm 5 years old, who are all of these grandpas?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edge & Christian posted:

BSS Fact: People were absolutely in love with the Udon Taskmaster costume, if DC had adopted the Udon Taskmaster costume (NOT THE STUPID SKULL COSTUME RRRRRRRRRR) it's entirely possible Marvel would be out of business right now due to the sheer awesomeness of DC having Identity Crisis, Jeph Loeb, and Udon Taskmaster all at the same time in 2006.

There is nothing cooler than a man in a short sleeved hoodie

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Madkal posted:

But it wasn't a dream. It was a place. And you and you and you...and you were there. But you couldn't have been could you? No, Aunt Em, this was a real truly live place and I remember some of it wasn't very nice, but most of it was beautiful--but just the same all I kept saying to everybody was "I want to go home," and they sent me home! Doesn't anybody believe me? But anyway, Toto, we're home! Home. And this is my room, and you're all here and I'm not going to leave here ever, ever again. Because I love you all. And... Oh Auntie Em! There's no place like home!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, XO bails for a few days and look what happens.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Guy Goodbody posted:

There is nothing cooler than a man in a short sleeved hoodie

Truth

edit: This thread is the closest thing I will get to something resembling a high school reunion.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

This thread feels like it's pandering what with all the old character cameos crammed into it for no reason.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghostlight posted:

This thread feels like it's pandering what with all the old character cameos crammed into it for no reason.

The middle aged white guy who used to own the Rhyno account turned out to be a Skrull, the new Rhyno is a Hispanic teen girl.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm the new character who is retconned into all the past events.

Edge & Christian posted:

Haha! I remember that!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

:thinking face expanding and exploding into a million smaller thinking faces:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

Cool friends appear and make good posts, kind of makes u think

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The UDON Taskmaster design is awesome and that's why it gets included in stuff like Marvel Legends and MvsC3, because they know

Reflecting on old stuff, I did not post here for a long time after the draconian rules of the review thread. Like, you could only post the barest review and anything that vaguely talked about the plot HAD to be spoilered or you ate a probation for it. This resulted in review threads that either had no discussion as you couldn't bring up anything about the actual plot, or just tons of spoilered text of people replying to each other that was of no benefit anyway. Good riddance to the reviews.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

I'm the new character who is retconned into all the past events.

Haha! I remember that!

I'm pretty much this character

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
U DON'T ASK MASTER

The Bought & Thought thread rules turned draconian because people were doing a terrible job of posting reviews.

quote:

Dark Knight Returns #4: Everyone thought Batman was dead but he faked his death and Superman knew and was secretly cool with it and now Batman has a secret underground army I guess?
is not a good review.

People being very bad with spoiler tags so their "no spoilers" review was

quote:

So turns out Jean Loring was the mastermind killer, she stole her husband The Atom's white dwarf shrinking suit and killed Ralph's wife Sue Dibny and also Robin's dad Jack Drake by hiring Captain Boomerang that old Australian foe of Barry Allen the Flash to kill him with a boomerang.
is also not a good review OR a good use for spoiler tags.

This is also why we moved to the (admittedly imperfect) Megathread format, because when all New Comics Discussion was attached to a single thread it created all sorts of trouble, seeing as you created a single thread where you had to go for discussion of (let's say last week) Batman, Secret Empire, Walking Dead, X-Men, Paper Girls, etc. and if you wanted to talk Batman but hadn't read the other books listed tough poo poo, people are just going to blurt out spoilers with no context or warning.

Add to that people didn't go to the store every week so if you were caught up on all of those but were tradewaiting Black Monday Murders or BPRD or whatever, again, tough poo poo. The current model kills discussion of books that don't fit into megathreads but the percentage of circa 2006-7 Big Plot Twists that were spoiled by someone in the thread going UGH MARVEL YOU KILLED NORTHSTAR gently caress YOU MARVEL in a thread that ostensibly was supposed to be reviews and have spoilers was very high indeed.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Marvel emailed me today about Secret Empire with the blurb "The heroes of the Marvel Universe are about to get hit by a giant twist: Captain America is working with HYDRA! How will they react? Who will rise up to oppose the super-soldier? Or will some people decide to stand by Cap?" and simultaneously I thought how much more enjoyable the Civil Wars would've been if Marvel were willing to make one side the Confederacy rather than trying to poorly sit on the fence between viewpoints, and how interesting an exploration of fascism it would be to have an event where people gather on the clearly wrong side due to blind faith in how Marvel itself has built Captain America up to always be right.

Of course it will just be a bunch of costumed clowns hitting each other yelling "we don't have to do this! Stand down!" at each other until Captain America commits suicide.

SMP
May 5, 2009

If Nazi Captain America commits suicide that would be in the series' favor.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Between Secret Empire 0, FCBD, and 1, I'm already losing count of the plot points that make no sense, are completely unjustified, and are basically carrying around little signs that say I'M ONLY HAPPENING BECAUSE AUTHOR FIAT SAID SO WILL AN INDETERMINATE TIMESKIP CONVINCE YOU THIS IS PLAUSIBLE, PLEASE SAY YES.

This is a story whose literal foundation involves a Cosmic Cube loving with reality and every further development hasn't even bothered to at least hide behind that as an excuse.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

My favorite part about the comic book i'm not reading is "heroes" siding with Hydra because Captain America is.

Nick Fury Sr. is drilling a hole to the moon's core as we speak.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

His Avengers aren't there by choice as far as I've seen. In the FCBD issue some magic bomb happens, Wanda's eyes go white and Vision goes 01100001111!!!!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 9, 2017

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Mr Hootington posted:

My favorite part about the comic book i'm not reading is "heroes" siding with Hydra because Captain America is.

Nick Fury Sr. is drilling a hole to the moon's core as we speak.

It took till just now for me to realize what a travesty it is that there isn't a Nick Fury And His Howling Commandos tie-in of them loving a chance to kill Hydra Nazis again.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ms Marvel and Moon Girl have that tie-in instead.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Teenage Fansub posted:

Ms Marvel and Moon Girl have that tie-in instead.

If Devil Dinosaur eats a Hydra goon on panel I guess that'll get me reading Moon Girl.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Teenage Fansub posted:

His Avengers aren't there by choice as far as I've seen. In the FCBD issue some magic bomb happens, Wanda's eyes go white and Vision goes 01100001111!!!!

Deadpool, on the other hand, is just that stupid.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

A nazi mind wizard did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Ghostlight posted:

A nazi mind grand wizard did it.

FTFY

• Locked thread