Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like a spoiler-free review thread would be a neat idea, if only just so people can look to see if a new comic is interesting or not without having any actual plot details spoiled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
A damaged, childlike being with the power to shape all of the Marvel Universe, being manipulated by a Nazi, and is bad at thinking through their actions and keeping straight their motivations did it.

This works for both Kobik and Nick Spencer honestly.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

A damaged, childlike being with the power to shape all of the Marvel Universe, being manipulated by a Nazi, and is bad at thinking through their actions and keeping straight their motivations did it.

They say to write what you know.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Roth posted:

I feel like a spoiler-free review thread would be a neat idea, if only just so people can look to see if a new comic is interesting or not without having any actual plot details spoiled.

No one would be able to have discussions, which wouldn't motivate people to post, it would just be people yelling into the void, so eventually it'd just be Dark Anime Tits saying that the most recent Red Hood comic was awesome.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's pronounced Dark Tits Anime :colbert:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skwirl posted:

No one would be able to have discussions, which wouldn't motivate people to post, it would just be people yelling into the void, so eventually it'd just be Dark Anime Tits saying that the most recent Red Hood comic was awesome.

Is Dark modifying Anime or Tits?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Roth posted:

I floated a bipartisan review thread a couple years ago, mostly to mingle everyone since people seemed to be much more firmly sticking to their side than now, but I'd still like to see it happen.

I don't know if a focus away from discussion arguments would really be a bad thing. The mega threads are still there to dump on DT's love of Todd, while his monthly perfect score essays have a little safe space :)

Make it, bud.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 9, 2017

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

I floated a bipartisan review thread a couple years ago, mostly to mingle everyone since people seemed to be much more firmly sticking to their side than now, but I'd still like to see it happen.

I don't know if a focus away from discussion arguments would really be a bad thing. The mega threads are still there to dump on DT's love of Todd, while his monthly perfect score essays have a little safe space :)

Make it, bud.

The little weirdo has a million little safe spaces that he posts his reviews. The moron doxxed himself in the dc thread a few months ago by linking a ton of reviews that he commented on or did himself.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just the example on hand. Apply to anybody on any book. I know someone here needs to tell the world all about this month's Zombie Tramp.

Anyway, just saying such a thread would probably need to be more formal and focused than a regular old discussion thread.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 9, 2017

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Deadpool, on the other hand, is just that stupid.

Didn't someone say that Deadpool thinks that if Cap has joined Hydra that he has some secret plan to take it down from the inside, so he'll play his part?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is Dark modifying Anime or Tits?

Dark_Tzitzimine

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Open Marriage Night posted:

Didn't someone say that Deadpool thinks that if Cap has joined Hydra that he has some secret plan to take it down from the inside, so he'll play his part?

That definitely sounds like the kind of reasoning Duggan-penned Deadpool would have.

Meanwhile back in Civil War Wade was pro-reg cuz they gave him a badge, which is honestly my favorite motivation in that entire event.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I was just thinking about that because I played UItimate Alliance 2 recently and Wade is one of the characters who gets unique bonuses from being Pro-Registration.

How recently did the idea that Wade and Cap are really good friends come about?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Probably the The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly arc of Deadpool.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

RandallODim posted:

That definitely sounds like the kind of reasoning Duggan-penned Deadpool would have.

Meanwhile back in Civil War Wade was pro-reg cuz they gave him a badge, which is honestly my favorite motivation in that entire event.

Also one of the most realistic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did I post this already? I can't remember

Anyways, met Matt Wagner at C2E2, told him what an impact his work gad on me 20 years ago and how much I loved the Mage series. He seemed genuinely touched by my story because he shook my hand then stood up and gave me a hug. Very wonderful man, and signed both my Mage HCs.

MOST OF YOU ALREADY KNOW MY REAL NAME SO I DON'T CARE

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Anyways, met Matt Wagner at C2E2, told him what an impact his work gad on me 20 years ago and how much I loved the Mage series. He seemed genuinely touched by my story because he shook my hand then stood up and gave me a hug. Very wonderful man, and signed both my Mage HCs.

Don't worry about your real name, I will only throw out the watched all of Smallville thing when I want to cast shade on your opinions .

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I read the first two volumes of East of West. I don't like it. It seems cool, but I don't think it actually is. It's like a trick, it's got this surface level coolness that isn't built on anything. It's got neat character designs and an alternate history setting and it's own mythos, but there's nothing to it. The character designs are neat but the characters are uninteresting, the alternate history doesn't end up creating an interesting or believable world, and the mythos doesn't have any real internal structure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Don't worry about your real name, I will only throw out the watched all of Smallville thing when I want to cast shade on your opinions .

IT SEEMED LIKE A GOOD IDEA AT THE TIME

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

:godwin:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RandallODim posted:

Wade had the only not-stupid motivation.

"Putting dissidents in camps and secret space prisons? Well a school got blown up in a world where entire cities and nations have crumbled for nothing, can't argue"

vs

"A shiny badge that means all the people who hate me have to call me 'sir'? SCORE"

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

drat I kinda wanted to go back and watch Season 10 because it has a Booster Gold episode...but all this poo poo makes me think I shouldn't.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just the example on hand. Apply to anybody on any book. I know someone here needs to tell the world all about this month's Zombie Tramp.

Anyway, just saying such a thread would probably need to be more formal and focused than a regular old discussion thread.

Something like a micro-Film Dump for comics?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Ryan...
Rhyno...

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Edge & Christian posted:

Speaking of which:

https://amazingcavalieri.blogspot.com/2017/05/a-primer-on-nick-spencers-lovely.html?m=1

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

It's so weird to see this get blogged when it's been in fairly open discussion for the past year or so among a lot of comics folks. I guess no one wrote it down til now?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I feel like someone did before (maybe even E&C?) but this might be more up to date.

Like I know when I saw this, very little of it was new news to me.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I mean "Nick Spencer, Failed City Council Member Who Had DIfficult Relationships with the Community Especially the Non-Rich-White Community" has been a Known Thing for coming up on seven years. It's not like I broke the story or anything, but I feel like I've been reminding people repeatedly when it comes up for most of that time. There's frankly even unseemlier things lost in the archives of the Bendis Boards, but while there are a number of posts scattered across the Internet over the past few years corroborating those things, the primary sources no longer seem to exist so I don't feel great about dredging those up as much.

Also Nick Spencer is a terrible enough writer and interviewee in 2017 that honestly, do you need to do opposition research?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Was Taters posted:

It's so weird to see this get blogged when it's been in fairly open discussion for the past year or so among a lot of comics folks. I guess no one wrote it down til now?

I had heard some of it, but not all in one place or this comprehensively.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Edge & Christian posted:

I mean "Nick Spencer, Failed City Council Member Who Had DIfficult Relationships with the Community Especially the Non-Rich-White Community" has been a Known Thing for coming up on seven years. It's not like I broke the story or anything, but I feel like I've been reminding people repeatedly when it comes up for most of that time. There's frankly even unseemlier things lost in the archives of the Bendis Boards, but while there are a number of posts scattered across the Internet over the past few years corroborating those things, the primary sources no longer seem to exist so I don't feel great about dredging those up as much.

Also Nick Spencer is a terrible enough writer and interviewee in 2017 that honestly, do you need to do opposition research?

It was brought up in the marvel thread and someone got really mad I was besmirching Spencer.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

And all that stuff in those neighborhoods happened anyway, without Spencer.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Speaking of terrible people, seems you can't go a day without finding a creator who is a piece of poo poo.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/05/11/ethan-van-sciver-apologises-suicide-jibe-vows-not-vent-social-media-anymore/

That's a long list of other artists and writers who say he's been a piece of poo poo for a long time as well. Telling fans to kill themselves is I guess just the latest in a long line of this kind of stuff from him. I'd heard he had some rather lovely political opinions but I just figured that was just end of it. Didn't know he was actually that lovely.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Um, wow, that's pretty hosed up

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I guess the only thing to do about is stop caring about dumb stuff artists say and just enjoy or not enjoy their work on it's own merits

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

Speaking of terrible people, seems you can't go a day without finding a creator who is a piece of poo poo.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/05/11/ethan-van-sciver-apologises-suicide-jibe-vows-not-vent-social-media-anymore/

That's a long list of other artists and writers who say he's been a piece of poo poo for a long time as well. Telling fans to kill themselves is I guess just the latest in a long line of this kind of stuff from him. I'd heard he had some rather lovely political opinions but I just figured that was just end of it. Didn't know he was actually that lovely.

I am kind of nervous to click on the link. It always sucks finding out someone who creates something you like is probably a jerk.

edit: Oh it's him. Yea it's been out for a while that he is a big jerky mcjerk jerkface.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Guy Goodbody posted:

I guess the only thing to do about is stop caring about dumb stuff artists say and just enjoy or not enjoy their work on it's own merits

I've found that increasingly more difficult as of late.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
EVS is a well-known trumpfucker, it's hardly surprising that in addition to Nazism he has lesser included character flaws.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Roth posted:

I've found that increasingly more difficult as of late.

You'll never stop me from loving my Fletcher Hanks!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

I mean, yea, but that's pretty hard to do in practice.

Like, for an extreme example, I'm not gonna pretend Rosemary's Baby is a BAD movie now that Polanski is a rapist scumbag, but yea it is kinda hard for me to do something like go to a special showing or whatever because I do kinda feel lame paying money for his poo poo now. My copy of it at home didn't magically become unwatchable but there's a difference between 'enjoy their work' as an objective merit thing and 'enjoy their work' as a consumer and for a lot of people they'd rather not support assholes like this even if they make good things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Al Capp creeped on a 19 year-old Goldie Hawn when she was just starting out acting.

http://people.com/movies/goldie-hawn-remembers-casting-couch-sexual-predator-who-left-her-in-tears-at-19/

quote:

I was 19. I went up for the ‘meet,’ and it was so scary...He took off his business clothes and came in in, like, a dressing gown. I got the picture, and I thought, ‘I’m in trouble. Where’s the door?’...Then he wanted me to show my legs, and I said, ‘You know, Mr. Capp, I don’t know. I don’t think so,’ and then I sat down and he wanted me to give him a kiss, and I went, ‘I don’t do this. I’m sorry.’

• Locked thread